PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know what this design is on my Noveske Barrel?

WS6
02-15-12, 00:10
It is purposefully made. I wonder what it signifies?

http://i42.tinypic.com/egxvno.jpg

Skang
02-15-12, 01:17
Possibly from installing switch block?

WS6
02-15-12, 01:37
Possibly from installing switch block?

It's a very controlled zig-zag with a line running straight down the middle of it. I can see no way that the zig-zag was created AND the straight line as well, by installing one object.

Javelin
02-15-12, 02:26
Interesting. I have a sort of Z scratched/etched my Noveske barrel by the switchblock right in the same area as your marks are. Was there when my gun was shipped ... I am not sure how or why it got there but I figured it was because mine was the 3rd Switchblock to go out of the factory and it was their testing oops mark.

WS6
02-15-12, 02:56
Interesting. I have a sort of Z scratched/etched my Noveske barrel by the switchblock right in the same area as your marks are. Was there when my gun was shipped ... I am not sure how or why it got there but I figured it was because mine was the 3rd Switchblock to go out of the factory and it was their testing oops mark.

My rifle is just a couple of months old.

MistWolf
02-15-12, 04:26
It's a scratch. Looks like the gas block was pushed on, then wiggled when it was taken off, probably for a test fit. Or maybe the other way around

WS6
02-15-12, 04:36
It's a scratch. Looks like the gas block was pushed on, then wiggled when it was taken off, probably for a test fit. Or maybe the other way around

That makes sense. Odd that it's just one item on it that scratched. Who knows, but that one makes sense. Glad they went to the effort to make sure it was done RIGHT, even if it meant a little more time. That's the reason I bought a Noveske.

newyork
02-15-12, 06:28
Ask Noveske

Cesiumsponge
02-15-12, 09:34
That scratch would coincidentally correspond to the location of the gas port on the gas block. I would be annoyed the gas block had a burr/sharp edge that caused that kind of scratching on installation, especially a Noveske. I'd rather not have witness marks on my barrel but its purely cosmetic as long as it wasn't a hanging burr, because that could dislodge into the firearm.

WS6
02-15-12, 16:07
That scratch would coincidentally correspond to the location of the gas port on the gas block. I would be annoyed the gas block had a burr/sharp edge that caused that kind of scratching on installation, especially a Noveske. I'd rather not have witness marks on my barrel but its purely cosmetic as long as it wasn't a hanging burr, because that could dislodge into the firearm.

The gas-port is not at the top of the barrel but rather at 1 o'clock?

militarymoron
02-15-12, 16:16
it means that the gas block was put on the barrel, making the scratch, then rotated a bit to line up the gas ports. no one slides the gas block onto the barrel with the gas ports lined up exactly - it's not needed. you just slide it over the barrel, then rotate it into place.
don't worry about it any more.

OldGreg
02-15-12, 16:33
Rub a lil bit of Froglube on it... it'll make it all better! :p

Cesiumsponge
02-15-12, 16:34
A burr doesn't necessarily have to be at the 12 o'clock position of the gas block gas port hole either. It can be off to one side. Anyhow, looks like the most plausible guess is scratches from installation and removal.

WS6
02-15-12, 17:13
it means that the gas block was put on the barrel, making the scratch, then rotated a bit to line up the gas ports. no one slides the gas block onto the barrel with the gas ports lined up exactly - it's not needed. you just slide it over the barrel, then rotate it into place.
don't worry about it any more.

Now that I know how it got there, no stress. I just wondered if it were a notation or significant of something other than the normal process of building the rifle.

Yes, I have put Froglube on it. The froglube has stripped 1 micron's thickness of parkerizing from elsewhere on the barrel, evenly, and has began to work it into the scratch. I can see the healing lattice beginning to form now.

HELLABEN
02-15-12, 21:12
maybe the straight line was from sliding on a jig, then the 2nd one from sliding on a gas block?

M4Fundi
02-16-12, 03:07
Rub a lil bit of Froglube on it... it'll make it all better! :p

LOL......I think I just woke up the whole house laughing on that one:p