PDA

View Full Version : has anyone here ran a G21 hard

robo
02-15-12, 02:49
Has anyone here ran a G21 hard enough that they would bet there life on it? I'm a bit of a glock conisuer, I completely trust all my glocks 34, 19 and 26. Iv carried a issued g19 through a deployment and knew no matter how thrashed it was, it would go bang if I needed it. I will say I only trust non-ball 9mm ammunition, which brings me to my question. Maybe iv been following Glenn Beck to much but worse case, if my surplus of 9mm HP was depleted and switched to my G21 ( bc let's face it 45acp ball is still pretty effective) have any of you ran a G21 like the 9mm glock series and it has been proven itself? Would you carry it as your primary side arm? I can't remember were I saw it, but I remember seeing Vickers say something about the G21 not being as reliable as the glock 9mm.

Bowie Tactical
02-15-12, 06:16
I used to carry, and teach with a 21 all the time. One of mine had ballpark 30,000 thru it zero problems. It was my Duty gun for patrol and also for SWAT. They are very good. They did not do as well in full on sand tests but I have not seen that. There was a very earlt generations of them that had light primer strike issues but that was solved many many years ago. I see quite a few every year at Tactical Defense Institute, where I teach, and they all run just fine. But if your changing guns just for stopping a fight ability you're not gtting amywhere. 9mm to 45 even in ball is very similar. Given hollowpoints not even worth considering.

David Bowie
Bowie Tactical Concepts

cslone
02-15-12, 09:56
Our department has used the 21's for 6-7 years now with no issues at all. I would trust it without hesitation.

BrthrB
02-15-12, 10:37
I have a 21 for duty/SWAT. I've also used it in several CQB/handgun and instructor courses. It has been completely reliable with zero issues.

Have not had to deal with sand, but it has withstood steady rain and very cold temps, again with zero problems.

zodtgr8
02-15-12, 10:39
Here's a snippet from Kyle Lamb's Stay in the Fight!!

"When the Marine Corps tested the Glock 21, several trigger pins broke, the weapons never stopped firing and the broken parts were only detected during routine cleaning and maintenance. This story is often told, but those opposing modern weapons that contain polymer parts routinely leave out the part about the weapon continuing to function. It seems the pistol did extremely well, passed the test with flying colors, but the commandant of the Marine Corps at the time decided he knew better and didn't want his Marines to have a plastic pistol."

rotorblade
02-15-12, 10:45
I had a 21 that had thousands of rounds of S&B 230 ball through it. This was back when it was 4 bucks for 50 online from CTD.
One time it had a stovepipe and ran a few more 100 rounds of ammo and had another stovepipe. So i completely disassembled it and cleaned it really good. Then after 5 or 600 more had another stovepipe. UH I said. Then about 3 or 400 more rounds later had another stovepipe.

So I sent it and all 13 high caps (this was in 1998) back to glock 2 weeks go buy and they send it back with the mags. Fresh springs and followers everything new in the old tubes. The paper work said mags cleaned inspected parts replaced. G21 Ejector broken, replaced. That gun must have functioned for 6 or 700 or more with a broken ejector and was still working just a stovepipe every now and then.

Yeah the 21 is a good kit the Glock 21 4th gen is the only pistol I would buy from Glock right now. Sad part is I sold that thing and it was a rare bird what they called a 2.5 gen. Finger groves but no frame rail. :sad:

But if your worried about running out of HP and wanting to shoot 45 ball thinking it will be better, just remember this. Its still a ball round 45 acp ball vs 9mm nato ball gel results look almost identical just a little bit more penetration with the 45 and thats only due to the weight. Also I have seen 9mm penetrate stuff that 45 acp will bounce off of.

I wouldn't switch to a 45 or buy a 45 just because your worried about the TEOTWAWKI. The money you spend on buying a 45 buy that much money in 9mm and put it up.

High Altitude
02-15-12, 12:11
Glock 21s are good to go like any other Glock.

http://theprepared.com/content/view/90//administrator/

one
02-15-12, 12:57
They did not do as well in full on sand tests but I have not seen that. David Bowie
Bowie Tactical Concepts

I actually discussed this with LAV in class and he commented that in all fairness no Glock would have performed better in his opinion. And that test was what led him to his being a proponet of the grip plug.

The G21SF is issued out to my agency and the Kansas Highway Patrol is issuing them as well, having previously used standard G21's. There are numerous individual officers running them here as well.

I am aware of two incidents in the early 90's. Other than that the guns have proven themselves to be more than good to go.

Hizzie
02-15-12, 13:22
Carried a G21 (various Gens) for most of my 12yr LE career. I also used one in the Academy and shot IDPA with it. Hours and hours of dry-fire practice too. Never had a malf that wasn't magazine or operator induced. I prefer the 9/40 sized frames though or K/L frame revolvers to the fat G21.

reed503
02-15-12, 16:53
Ive been running a G21(gen3) for my duty weapon for several years now. I can carry anything I want and ive went through a host of 1911s,Sigs, and Glocks of various calibers over the years. I just keep going back to the 21. Many many thousands of rounds down range and no down time due to malfunctions or parts breakage.

Voodoo_Man
02-15-12, 17:02
Ran a g3 g21 w/ 1913 rail, had over 10k rounds including a 2-day 1500rnd blast-a-thon of a class locally. Gun never hiccuped, not once.

Now I run a g4 g21, has about 500 rnds through it (do not carry it as of yet, but will soon) and it is a true performer.

RagweedZulu
02-15-12, 17:02
Check out the great G21 torture test at TheArmed.com if you're looking at running one hard. I saw this and HAD to buy a G21 right away.

I've used mine for many rough and dirty training courses and it's always been 100% reliable. It's worn and beat up, but that's the only way to have a good SD gun.

SW-Shooter
02-15-12, 18:23
I've put mine through its paces, but the hardest use it has seen is 300 rounds without cleaning or re-lubing (both my Glock 21SF & Glock 30SF). There are others that have literally pushed the Glock 21 so hard that lesser manufacturers guns would have been destroyed.

With that said, I carry that Glock 30SF daily and I stake my life on it performing when I need it to. The Glock 21SF is relegated to nightstand duty, which I also would bet my life on performing should the time come.

smithjd
02-15-12, 18:42
I used to have and OD framed gen 3 Glock 21. I got it to replace a gen 2 with about 15k rounds through it and maybe a couple stoppages, maybe.

Initially, I had the same light-strike problem that LAPD was having. Coincidentally, my team mate bought the same model G21 I did, nearly identicaly serial numbers, and didn't have any problems.

I replaced the striker and trigger with trigger bar with an old set of parts. The striker block was not being completely lifted out of the way and the striker was peening on the block, causing the light strikes. After the parts replacement, not a problem.

The hardest I ever ran it was 2800 rounds in three days at a TRICON ACP class, no stoppages. CM hits at 50 yards, freestyle, were possible...

They are a good gun, but for me felt like I was holding onto the wrong end of the baseball bat. I have no experience with the gen 4's.

anthony1
02-16-12, 00:30
I've had 2 a gen3 21 and a new gen4 21 mine are good to go. Judging from the lack of internet complaint threads, it seems the gen4 21 might be the best of the gen4s. There were/are alot of issues with g30s, but l've never heard to much bad about 21s.

careboy
02-16-12, 01:16
Very very cool, and thanks for the lesson! I love your unique ink!
http://www.primeaffiliate.com/track/images/22.gif
http://www.canadablackberry.com/imgs/images/2.tod.gif

HELLABEN
02-16-12, 01:49
ive used a g21 for over 10 years, thousands of rounds, no problems. its kinda hard to conceal though. g19 is better for that

glocktogo
02-16-12, 13:33
My agency (Tulsa Co. Sheriff's Office) issues the G-21C. I've seen numerous stoppages on the line during quals. It always seems to happen to the deputies that can't shoot for crap and neglect their equipment. Funny how the 21's carried by the deputies that care for their gear and know how to shoot never malf.

We're allowed to carry our personally owned weapons so long as we qualify with them. I carry a G-21SF with a grip reduction. It feels very similar to a 17/22 grip, only better. No malfs since day one with about 2000 rds down the pipe. About 500 of those are with a SF X300 attached.

JonInWA
02-16-12, 13:48
I've had a Gen 3 G21 that was purchased brand new back in the 2004 timeframe. In all honesty I haven't run it terribly hard, and probably only have several thousand rounds through it. Mine has the upgraded triggerbar (2006), a G37 Glock extended slide stop/release, Glock steel sights, and a "dot" connector. To increase non-slip grippability (particularly in summer weather with perspiring hands) I've added a portion of a mountain bike innertube to the receiver. It's been an excellent problem-free performer; the only issue I can ever recall having is its failure to chamber a significantly out-of-spec round of Winchester 230 gr Value Pack ammunition (the cartridge case was probably at least .46 or .47...)

Yes, the frame is large; but even on my non-SF/non-Gen4 receiver, I find that I in fact index very naturally with it, despite the difference in my hands' displacement on it, especially compared to my G17 and G19 receivers. Concealment with a decent holster is not particularly difficult; I've used a Blade-Tech IWB for years, with a Glock Sport/Combat for OWB carry when desired.

Today, while there's absolutely nothing inherently wrong with a Gen 3 G21, I recommend going with the Gen4 G21; it's been the quiet success story of the Gen4 line-up, and you have all of the benefits of the Gen 3 with a size-adjustable, grippier receiver with a larger magazine release.

Best, Jon

R0CKETMAN
02-16-12, 14:09
G21sf 5k+ as reliable as all my other Glocks. Tough choice between it and G17 gen3 and my all around favorite SHTF pistol.

one
02-16-12, 21:49
My agency (Tulsa Co. Sheriff's Office) issues the G-21C. I've seen numerous stoppages on the line during quals. It always seems to happen to the deputies that can't shoot for crap and neglect their equipment. Funny how the 21's carried by the deputies that care for their gear and know how to shoot never malf.

We're allowed to carry our personally owned weapons so long as we qualify with them. I carry a G-21SF with a grip reduction. It feels very similar to a 17/22 grip, only better. No malfs since day one with about 2000 rds down the pipe. About 500 of those are with a SF X300 attached.

Interesting. I was not aware you guys issued G21's down there. You're the first agency I'm aware of to issue a C.

twofocused
02-17-12, 00:05
I work for a pd in North Carolina and we have carried our Gen 3 G21's for 7 years. No major failures of any kind. I have only experienced a stove pipe one time and that was firing weak hand only.

I've shot on average of 1000 rounds a year through it and I attended a tactical pistol class where I fired 1000 rounds in two days with no cleaning or relubing in the process.

I would without a doubt trust it with my life and my buddies.

glocktogo
02-17-12, 00:26
Interesting. I was not aware you guys issued G21's down there. You're the first agency I'm aware of to issue a C.

Tulsa PD was first to issue the Glock 22C, transitoning from the S&W 4046 a couple of years after the full Gen 3's arrived (I had a Gen 2.5 19C). TCSO went to the 21C from their S&W 4506's a couple of years later.

one
02-17-12, 00:33
I knew that they were running G22's but did not know they were C's.

ZGXtreme
02-17-12, 00:45

We issue them as well... just down the turnpike from Tulsa.

Ark1443
02-17-12, 05:23
Have put about 2,500 rds through my 21SF, only one problem thus far out of all those rounds, a stove pipe which occurred when I fired a round without a magazine inserted (coincidence?).

Other than that, flawless. Expensive, but flawless. :D

Nephrology
02-17-12, 07:25
Have put about 2,500 rds through my 21SF, only one problem thus far out of all those rounds, a stove pipe which occurred when I fired a round without a magazine inserted (coincidence?).

Other than that, flawless. Expensive, but flawless. :D

You will always get stovepipes on Glocks if you fire without a mag inserted.

You guys are making me miss my G21!! I would still have it if .45 wasn't so spendy...

JHC
02-17-12, 11:56
You will always get stovepipes on Glocks if you fire without a mag inserted.
You guys are making me miss my G21!! I would still have it if .45 wasn't so spendy...

Totally agree - until Sunday I didn't with my Gen 4 G19. I need to put about 50 through it like that and see how it does. This is one of flawless Gen 4 G19s. It would be cool for Randy Lee to take his calipers to it see why. ;)

Nephrology
02-17-12, 12:00
Totally agree - until Sunday I didn't with my Gen 4 G19. I need to put about 50 through it like that and see how it does. This is one of flawless Gen 4 G19s. It would be cool for Randy Lee to take his calipers to it see why. ;)

I believe the spent cartridge tends to "droop" on the way out if there is nothing supporting it from below, like the next round or the curved follower. As a result when it hits the ejector it gets pinged up and over so the base of the cartridge is facing upwards and the casemouth pointing down into the magwell.

It's not really the pistol's malfunction. Moreso the user.

sqeeler
02-20-12, 18:17
I had a 3rd gen 21 with 50,000 on it and still shot 1" groups at 15 yds, got bored with it and traded it to my friend who is still using it a year later with no complaints.