PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a specific set of rings/mounts

Arik
02-15-12, 07:35
I dont know what they are called so its kinda hard to do a search here but knowing this place Im sure its out there somewhere.

Heres the deal. Last year I saw a set of rings and mounts, kind of a one piece deal, on a Mauser 98K. With a little force the rings would unhook from the right side and the scope would tilt of to the left and allow the use of iron sights. When you want to use the scope just tilt the scope back towards the top and with a little force the rings snap back into the mount. The guy that had this Mauser was an older gentleman and said he bought it that way years ago.

Why I want them? I have my eye on a newer Savage 3006 bolt gun with the AccuTrigger. that has iron sights, something not commonly found on today's bolt guns. I really enjoy shooting with irons and of course want to add a scope since this is a 3006. I already have other 3006 guns so the caliber wouldnt be an issue. Also I know I can just buy a MN91/30 with a repro side mount scope and use cheap ammo BUT....Im a lefty...:sad: Also because Im a lefty my bolt gun options are limited. This Savage gives me what I was looking for if I can figure out what the heck kind of mouts and rings those were.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

mark5pt56
02-15-12, 08:51
I think I've seen them in the past but don't see them available now. I would suggest using rings that have the levers so you can remove the scope if wishing to do so. Leupold, Warne, Talley make them. Have something that swivels, pivots, etc. isn't very secure in my opinion, especially for a hard recoiling rifle. The ones listed above are normally repeatable upon remount, just make sure they are tightened down properly. If you need something more robust and intended to be taken on and off frequently, look at the Nightforce, Larue, ADM, etc line.

I would see the purpose of this if you have optic failure and need the irons to complete a hunt.

Moving this to General Bolt section as it belongs there.

ICANHITHIMMAN
02-15-12, 10:22
Just get some quick detach rings