PDA

View Full Version : S&W going no-lock?

jhs1969
02-15-12, 10:36
I've seen a few people state that they heard or believe that S&W is going to drop the locks on their revolvers. Does anyone have any fact based info on this? I may be in the market for a new Smith soon but would gladly hold out if they drop the locks.

DocH
02-15-12, 13:50
I think we can look for that to happen.They have already been putting some out with no lock,but you can also look for a price increase,They have flooded the market with 642's,442's,etc.,with the locks,and when the no locks become regular production again,people will flock to buy them. I may even get one,too.But,probably not.

oldtexan
02-15-12, 15:42
I've seen a few people state that they heard or believe that S&W is going to drop the locks on their revolvers. Does anyone have any fact based info on this? I may be in the market for a new Smith soon but would gladly hold out if they drop the locks.

There are currently no-lock versions of various j-frame guns, such as the 442, 632 Pro, 640 Pro, 642, and maybe others, available in supply channels and listed on S&W's website. Based on what I see in stores and what I hear when I talk to various other j-frame owners, S&W is having no trouble selling all the .38/.357 short barrel j-frames (especially lightweight ones)that it can make, lock or no-lock. I don't see any indication that the lock will completely go away, but I am certainly not privy to any inside info.

For whatever it's worth, my two 642-2 and my 649-5 all have locks. Among the three, I've fired about 2200 rds of ammo, all .38, a mix of std pressure and +P. I've never experienced any lock issue with any of them.

ST911
02-15-12, 16:04
You won't see the locks discontinued. You will see production runs of some additional models without the lock.

jhs1969
02-16-12, 00:55
Well, I had planned to pick up a no lock 442 or 642 but bougt a 642 from a buddy with a lock. Which was not a problem as I "de-locked" it. I would prefer to get a 3" 686 with no lock but I'm not willing to wait years for it to happen. I'm trying to decide whether to get a 3" 686 with a lock or try to find an older 4" with no lock.

Jake'sDad
02-16-12, 23:10
For whatever it's worth, my two 642-2 and my 649-5 all have locks. Among the three, I've fired about 2200 rds of ammo, all .38, a mix of std pressure and +P. I've never experienced any lock issue with any of them.

That's wonderful, but there have been enough documented lock failures, including with folks I know personally, to believe it's not an issue.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
02-17-12, 13:51
I bought a J frame last year. Told my dealer I wanted a brand ne 642 w/out a lock for lower than MSRP. Boom, he placed an order and it was mine.

I hope SW gets rid of the damn lock for good.

Docwade
02-18-12, 13:21
It will be nice to see that feature discontinued. It has also caused some inflation of price in revolvers I like as well.

Jake'sDad
02-18-12, 14:57
It will be nice to see that feature discontinued. It has also caused some inflation of price in revolvers I like as well.

Well, that, and the mim parts, and general lowered quality of fit and finish compared to the old ones.

mdauben
02-19-12, 18:32
I'd love to see them drop the locks. It certainly seem that no one actually likes them. I just wonder if they would be willing to face the potential liability issue of removing a "safety feature" from their products. :p

Jake'sDad
02-19-12, 18:35
I'd love to see them drop the locks. It certainly seem that no one actually likes them. I just wonder if they would be willing to face the potential liability issue of removing a "safety feature" from their products. :p

That's the problem. They already opened the Pandora's box.

trackstar55
02-20-12, 13:35
The lock is what is preventing me from buying any current Smith and Wesson production revolvers.

I only buy the old school Smith's that have either pinned/recessed features or target hammers/target triggers. AHHH the good old days!

Wish Smith would go back to what made them great. I know it costs a lot, but I dont care. I would pay the extra.

Titleist
02-20-12, 13:44
I actually purchased a 442-1 (non-lock) this weekend at the local gunshow. 99 percent of the guns were the lock models, but I finally found a current production 442-1. Great gun.

Gun was mis-marked for 339.00 which is damn near LE price.

JHC
02-20-12, 14:51
I actually purchased a 442-1 (non-lock) this weekend at the local gunshow. 99 percent of the guns were the lock models, but I finally found a current production 442-1. Great gun.

Gun was mis-marked for 339.00 which is damn near LE price.

Saturday I looked at new j-frames at a high volume store here and they were $339 which surprised me. Dealer told me S&W dropped the prices. I wondered if this might be to thin out the lock inventory in prep for a wholesale conversion to no locks. ???

Jake'sDad
02-20-12, 18:27
The lock is what is preventing me from buying any current Smith and Wesson production revolvers.

I only buy the old school Smith's that have either pinned/recessed features or target hammers/target triggers. AHHH the good old days!

Wish Smith would go back to what made them great. I know it costs a lot, but I dont care. I would pay the extra.

Most wouldn't. And even if they went back to the older materials, machining, and handwork, the new guns would likely cost more than the prices you're seeing on older classic S&W's.

9mmhpfan
02-20-12, 20:07
I,ll stick with my 2 inch heavy barrel model 10.

DocH
02-20-12, 23:00
I,ll stick with my 2 inch heavy barrel model 10. Me too.

brushy bill
03-25-12, 13:39
[QUOTE=trackstar55;1236106]The lock is what is preventing me from buying any current Smith and Wesson production revolvers. [QUOTE]

Concur and believe this is fairly common. Apparently S&W can afford to cross off those of us who feel likewise.

Jake'sDad
03-25-12, 14:31
Concur and believe this is fairly common. Apparently S&W can afford to cross off those of us who feel likewise.

Yup.

For its part, Smith & Wesson forecast sales of $395 million to $400 million for all of fiscal 2012 when it released third-quarter results this month, up from an already-increased December estimate of $385 million to $395 million.

“We continued to work on expanding our firearm manufacturing capacity to meet increased demand, an objective we plan to continue in the coming months as we address our robust backlog,” Smith & Wesson said.

Its firearms backlog was, at the end of the quarter, $198.5 million — more than double the figure of a year earlier.

http://articles.marketwatch.com/2012-03-22/industries/31223495_1_firearms-sturm-ruger-gun-rights

skyugo
03-26-12, 03:43
Saturday I looked at new j-frames at a high volume store here and they were $339 which surprised me. Dealer told me S&W dropped the prices. I wondered if this might be to thin out the lock inventory in prep for a wholesale conversion to no locks. ???

i'd imagine the lock will remain an option, some people might want it.

i took a little time to seek out a 642 with no lock. Glad i did. one less hole in the frame, one less thing to go wrong.

skyugo
03-26-12, 03:47
Well, that, and the mim parts, and general lowered quality of fit and finish compared to the old ones.

what years exactly are considered smith's heyday? I consider them to be a very favorable company to support and deal with right now. They have excellent CS and support gun rights....

i know that wasn't so true in the 90's.... at least as far as smith's rep among "gun people" was quality better than?

i know this is OT. so 60's and 70's good years?

Unicorn
03-28-12, 01:15
Their instructor at the M&P armorer class I attended stated that their intention was to make the lock an option that you have to ask for. Similar to how the majority of the M&P pistols don't have a mag disconnecter, but it's an option.

brushy bill
03-28-12, 21:45
Their instructor at the M&P armorer class I attended stated that their intention was to make the lock an option that you have to ask for. Similar to how the majority of the M&P pistols don't have a mag disconnecter, but it's an option.

Or like the internal safety on the M&P that is rarely found outside some very anti-gun states. If they can make it optional on the M&P with no legal concern, why not revolvers?

mikegli
04-16-12, 20:46
Does this mean the locked versions will fetch a premium?:D
I just picked up a no lock 442 a few months ago, and from what I understand, they were not hard to find.

Doc Safari
04-15-13, 11:29
Glad I found this thread. I'd love to find a no-lock 649.

titsonritz
04-15-13, 19:05
You won't see the locks discontinued. You will see production runs of some additional models without the lock.

This is what I was thinking. There are too many that desire it and too many places that require it for S&W to completely ditch the locks.
The least they could do is lose the locks on their “classic” series.

Doc Safari
04-16-13, 09:43
This is my busy time of year so I just kind of glanced at S&W's website but the only one I see advertised as "no-lock" is the 442.

Nephrology
04-17-13, 18:19
I got my no-lock 442 used for 289 us dollars :D

SteveS
04-17-13, 23:19
I just grind the tit off the locking mechanism and then there is no worry about the hammer locking up by accident.

JEL458
04-18-13, 03:24
I just grind the tit off the locking mechanism and then there is no worry about the hammer locking up by accident.

This ^ I've helped a couple of buddies do this for their BUGs. It works well and takes very little time. The first one we did with the file from a leatherman. You just take the side plate out, pop out the lock, grind it off and then replace it. No need for a plug, the key turns like normal, etc.

twistedcomrade
04-18-13, 19:44
This ^ I've helped a couple of buddies do this for their BUGs. It works well and takes very little time. The first one we did with the file from a leatherman. You just take the side plate out, pop out the lock, grind it off and then replace it. No need for a plug, the key turns like normal, etc.

I may have to try this on my 638. I so hope those locks become a thing of the past.

john58e
04-19-13, 15:05
I filed mine down. never had a problem and never will. To many people getting worked up over the lock. If you like to sell your gun, just say you lost the small key ?

jhs1969
04-20-13, 10:43
I simply pulled out the flag with the stud on it. I have a 642 with an internal hammer so no worries on cosmetics.

Lacos
04-20-13, 11:59
Just in case S&W reps read these type of posts, make mine no lock. If guns w/locks are selling, imagine guns with no lock, how many more they would sell. One less key on the keychain.

john58e
04-20-13, 12:06
I heard they have a plug for the hole? I did not want to get any lint into the moving parts .

simonsez
04-20-13, 13:26
I had been looking for a no lock 642 or 442 for quite awhile. I checked the local gun store who had none, and 2 weeks later they had 2 no lock 642's in stock. One is now mine. It was test fired on 1/29/2013. I purchased it on 2/23/2013. :D

jhs1969
04-20-13, 19:30
I heard they have a plug for the hole? I did not want to get any lint into the moving parts .

The plug, as I understand it, fills in the gap left from the flag that resides beside the hammer. I'm not sure it plugs the hole left by the key receptable. However when I removed the flag/stud I did not remove the key mechanisim, it moves with the key but serves no function now.

MountainRaven
04-20-13, 19:49
Somebody wake me when they make a no lock 640 (again).

:lazy2:

replacement
04-20-13, 22:11
i am one of the guys that doesn't like the lock and doesn't own one the firearms and will/wants to buy one without the stupid lock.

cathellsk
04-21-13, 00:35
Somebody wake me when they make a no lock 640 (again).

:lazy2:

Wakey wakey…but good luck finding one. And yes, it's a no lock.
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_766365_-1_757768_757767_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_39_922/products_id/61698/S%26W+M640+PRO+357+2+NS+MCLP+Stainless

Alpha Sierra
04-21-13, 16:03

The liability argument is meaningless. S&W already makes a shitload of handguns, including revolvers, without locks.

Think about it. Hard.

I cannot fathom one good reason why S&W insists on that retarded feature as standard on some guns and not on others.

kantstudien
05-07-13, 01:17
As soon as they drop the locks, many people will be picking up .357 and .44 classic revolvers.

Hell, I'll get a Dirty Harry Model 29 if they drop the lock on new production.

Jake'sDad
05-07-13, 01:27
As soon as they drop the locks, many people will be picking up .357 and .44 classic revolvers.

Hell, I'll get a Dirty Harry Model 29 if they drop the lock on new production.

I wouldn't hold your breath.

brushy bill
05-08-13, 08:25
The plus side is S&W is saving me a bunch of money by continuing to produce their lock version.

Jake'sDad
05-08-13, 10:46
The plus side is S&W is saving me a bunch of money by continuing to produce their lock version.

Not me. I've spent a bunch buying old ones.

Mr. Greene
05-18-13, 21:55
I dont think the lock will ever go away the most we can hope for is it becomes an option. I wish Smith would go back to making revos with hammer mounted firing pins too

DucQ
05-22-13, 01:29
close to 1k rounds with my 686 and no lock issues, but with my luck, it'll lock up when i really do need it:mad:

Alpha Sierra
05-22-13, 04:27
close to 1k rounds with my 686 and no lock issues, but with my luck, it'll lock up when i really do need it:mad:

Take the flag out then.

greenlion
05-26-13, 09:21
From what I can tell, they are only offering no-locks in double-action-only guns. I also think I remember them offering one with a bobbed hammer a little while back which also had no lock. If they would get rid of the locks, I would buy 5 new revolvers in the first week. I would even be satisfied with several models if they bobbed the hammers.

brushy bill
05-26-13, 21:05
From what I can tell, they are only offering no-locks in double-action-only guns. I also think I remember them offering one with a bobbed hammer a little while back which also had no lock. If they would get rid of the locks, I would buy 5 new revolvers in the first week. I would even be satisfied with several models if they bobbed the hammers.

You're not alone, but apparently they are making/selling enough revolvers that they really don't want to sell X number of times more.