PDA

View Full Version : Muzzle Cover

SMETNA
02-15-12, 11:24
I used the search first, to no avail . . .

How do you cover your muzzle in the snow/rain/mud? If you use one of those black muzzle covers, where did you get them?

If you use tape, what kind is best in terms of leaving the least amount of residue and shit behind?

Thank you

Todd00000
02-15-12, 11:33
Tape can work if you don't have a USGI muzzle cover, and any tape is going to leave residue behind, but it's better than mud in your barrel. I don't know where to buy them.

Iraqgunz
02-15-12, 11:34
http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=black+muzzle+covers+for+AR15

duece71
02-15-12, 12:24
How about a CONdominium??:D: Unused and unlubed of course. A balloon might work also. :p

ZGXtreme
02-15-12, 12:30
http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/RCL10B.aspx (Black)

http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/RCL10R.aspx (Red)

fixit69
02-15-12, 12:32
Trojan, man.

That was simple self gratification. I appologize.

Not really, it works.

Failure2Stop
02-15-12, 14:09
You can wrap the muzzle with electrical tape, sticky side out, and then simply re-tape sticky side to sticky side.
They shoot right off, but can also be removed by hand.

a0cake
02-15-12, 14:16
I just want to add that if you use one of those plastic muzzle covers, take it off when it's not needed and keep the flash hider well oiled. Avoid the habit of leaving the cover on for long periods of time while you're not shooting the rifle. The covered portion of your barrel will be bright orange with rust when you eventually take it off.

Kokopelli
02-15-12, 14:24
I just want to add that if you use one of those plastic muzzle covers, take it off when it's not needed and keep the flash hider well oiled. Avoid the habit of leaving the cover on for long periods of time while you're not shooting the rifle. The covered portion of your barrel will be bright orange with rust when you eventually take it off.

Good point. I need to oil mine.. I store muzzle up and use the red shoot-offs fro Fulton Armory.. I don't like them being red and will find others next time. Otherwise they work well.. Ron

SMETNA
02-15-12, 14:25
You can wrap the muzzle with electrical tape, sticky side out, and then simply re-tape sticky side to sticky side.
They shoot right off, but can also be removed by hand.

Good ideas all around. Thank you gentlemen.

I think F2S has the cheapest and easiest method. Makes me wonder why I didn't think of it myself actually.

SMETNA
02-15-12, 15:05
IG,

I've been burned by using google for my AR questions in the past by reading into some couch-commando BS info. These days, I try to scour this forum for answers because there's a no BS policy and most of you have real-world 1st hand data to share.

My intention was not "meh, someone else can search for me"

It was more "I wonder what the pros prefer"

On a side note, I've never seen lmgtfy.com. That's hilarious

Thread purpose served. You can stick a fork in it if you like

Suwannee Tim
02-15-12, 15:33
http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=black+muzzle+covers+for+AR15

THAR SHE BLOWS!!!!!

ST911
02-15-12, 15:34
I have GI muzzle covers. I also have a bag of black balloons from the dollar or party supply store and use those as well.

Ah yes, the bright orange flash hider. Depending on the environment, it takes little to no time to develop. Oil and check often.

wevans1121
10-03-12, 11:35
The medium sized Bore Tex product in tactical black will fit and work well. It's much stronger than tape, it won't leave a residue, and it has an internal silicone coating to prevent corrosion when applied www.boretex.com.

sinlessorrow
10-03-12, 15:45
Those colored foam ear plugs work really well too.

Arctic1
10-03-12, 17:05
I don't like the plastic covers for the reasons a0cake mentioned, flash hiders will rust quickly when the gun is stored, because people leave it on there.

Personally, I don't use anything, just try to keep my muzzle out of mud, snow etc and perform proper field maintenance when out on operations or FTX's.

If I did want to cover it with something, a piece of cordura or something that does not retain water wrapped around the muzzle with a rubber band holding it on works the best IMO.

wevans1121
10-04-12, 16:17
Picture taken of gun that got wet with the bore tex cap on. The cap actually kept the end of the barrel from rusting. These caps have an internal coating that prevents rust. No rusted flash hider.

Casull
10-04-12, 16:51
Yeah, some tiny black balloons would probably be a great slip-on for an A2 birdcage I reckon.

Although, when you fire while it's covered it may fly into pieces.

narco23
10-04-12, 19:14
Haven't really seen the need to cover it. Figure none of the patrol rifles that I have used have had a cover so not really sure why mine would.