PDA

View Full Version : "Cardholder Services" scam junk phone calls

chadbag
02-15-12, 14:58
I have been getting these junk phone calls, sometimes multiple times a day, for months.

They all start saying "This is Rachel [or Ashley, the name sometimes changes] from Cardholder Services. "

They then say that one should not be alarmed, but that the deadline for lowering your interest rate is almost there and you need to call back or talk to one of their representatives to lower your interest rate.

I have talked to their operator a few times and demanded to know what their company was really called, who they represented (they always claim to represent all 551 banks that issue credit cards, or to represent Visa and Mastercard, or both). They eventually hang up on me. I have also asked them to not call me anymore.

I have taken to going online to file an FCC complaint and an FTC/DO-NOT-CALL list complaint. I do both. Hopefully if enough people complain they will track them down and stop this.

The FCC complaint starts at: http://esupport.fcc.gov/complaints.htm

The do not call registry complaint is at: https://donotcall.gov/

ssracer
02-15-12, 15:32
I have those voicemails several times a week when I get home

chadbag
02-15-12, 15:48
(prompted by a PM I got)

It may also be a good idea to contact your state's Attorney General if you are getting these calls. Get enough AGs looking into it (which they will if they get inundated with complaints) can only help.

----

montanadave
02-15-12, 15:55
I've had the identical experience, including the rude and surly response from the sales reps when I called back and requested they remove my numbers from their call list.

This is the only telemarketing outfit I am routinely plagued by and they're like herpes: they never go away.

Thanks for posting those links. I'll make a point to add my name to the list of complaints regarding these pricks.

chadbag
02-15-12, 15:59
I've had the identical experience, including the rude and surly response from the sales reps when I called back and requested they remove my numbers from their call list.

This is the only telemarketing outfit I am routinely plagued by and they're like herpes: they never go away.

Thanks for posting those links. I'll make a point to add my name to the list of complaints regarding these pricks.

Make sure you complain to BOTH the FCC and the FTC. Both have complaint mechanisms. The FCC is also more likely to do something about it in the short term, I think, if they get enough complaints about it.

And if you can, complain each time they call you. Not just once. (Or at least once a day if they call multiple times a day).

These piss me off to no end. I figure we get enough people filing complaints regularly and it might appear on someones radar at the FCC or FTC.

montanadave
02-15-12, 16:57
Looks like one of your Utah representatives (Jim Matheson) sits on the House Energy & Commerce Committee that oversees the FCC. He's also on the sub-committee which oversees the FTC.

Maybe you could use some of that home state juice (even if he is a Democrat). :secret:

Belmont31R
02-15-12, 17:14
After getting tired of random calls which were always from a few specific numbers and even some bill collectors calling for other people I now pay ATT 4.99 a month extra and can block up to 30 numbers at any one time. I went through my recents list and started adding a bunch. Now its maybe once a week one gets through and I add them to the list if they call more than once.

These bill collectors refuse to believe I am not the person they are after.:suicide:

chadbag
02-15-12, 17:21
Looks like one of your Utah representatives (Jim Matheson) sits on the House Energy & Commerce Committee that oversees the FCC. He's also on the sub-committee which oversees the FTC.

Maybe you could use some of that home state juice (even if he is a Democrat). :secret:

I will send him a note, though I am not in his district.

chadbag
02-15-12, 17:22
After getting tired of random calls which were always from a few specific numbers and even some bill collectors calling for other people I now pay ATT 4.99 a month extra and can block up to 30 numbers at any one time. I went through my recents list and started adding a bunch. Now its maybe once a week one gets through and I add them to the list if they call more than once.

These bill collectors refuse to believe I am not the person they are after.:suicide:

That would suck. I would call the cops on the bill collectors as they are violating the law, I believe, once you notified them they had the wrong numbers.

This "Cardholder Services" scam would not be stopped by the $4.99 service, unfortunately, since they change the number they are calling from constantly. I sometimes get the same number multiple times, and other times get different numbers on the same day! And they are always new numbers.

jmp45
02-15-12, 18:55
We get these calls a few times a day. Actually in my case they don't change the numbers that quite often. I've reported them several times to the do not call register. I personally think that register is a farce. Our phone has 2 functions that we cannot live without. Call block and dnd (do not disturb). CS is on several call block records and has stopped almost all their calls. The display lights up briefly then the call gets rejected, no ring. In the evening, the dnd gets turned on and no call can come through. It all goes to answering machine silently if they can get past the block. Family and close friends can reach our cells if it's really important. Actually going to block an extended family member tonight that has been quite annoying..;) It's a cheap Uniden phone, dect 6.0, land line and 3 extensions. Limited to 20 block records so old block records need purged occasionally. Works fine with voip. It's one solution for these calls, newer phones might allow more block storage.

chadbag
02-15-12, 18:56
Google or Bing

Cardholder Services scam

or similar.

Enough to keep you busy reading and researching for years...

Supposedly they shut these guys down: http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2010/06/asiapacific.shtm

One of the recordings there they have a sample audio is exactly the one I get.

chadbag
02-15-12, 18:58
We get these calls a few times a day. Actually in my case they don't change the numbers that quite often. I've reported them several times to the do not call register. I personally think that register is a farce. Our phone has 2 functions that we cannot live without. Call block and dnd (do not disturb). CS is on several call block records and has stopped almost all their calls. The display lights up briefly then the call gets rejected, no ring. In the evening, the dnd gets turned on and no call can come through. It all goes to answering machine silently if they can get past the block. Family and close friends can reach our cells if it's really important. Actually going to block an extended family member tonight that has been quite annoying..;) It's a cheap Uniden phone, dect 6.0, land line and 3 extensions. Limited to 20 block records so old block records need purged occasionally. Works fine with voip. It's one solution for these calls, newer phones might allow more block storage.

They keep changing the caller ID on me and I can probably show 5 or 6 numbers from just the last 5 or 6 days including 2 different numbers yesterday.

They are calling my cell phone -- we don't have a house line...

jmp45
02-15-12, 19:42
They keep changing the caller ID on me and I can probably show 5 or 6 numbers from just the last 5 or 6 days including 2 different numbers yesterday.

They are calling my cell phone -- we don't have a house line...

That would piss me off, cell phone. I've got a droid thru tmobile, it can block calls also in the cell settings, not dependent on tmobile services. They haven't got that number yet.

chadbag
02-15-12, 19:45
Coincidentally, this is in the news today. It won't stop Rachel and the phony Cardholders Services but may stop some of the real businesses that bombard you with text and other crap spam.

---

FCC approves tighter rules against telemarketing and spam texts | The Verge

http://mobile.theverge.com/2012/2/15/2800619/fcc-approves-telemarketing-robocall-texting-restrictions

--

Robo-calls get busy signal - latimes.com

http://www.latimes.com/business/money/la-robo-calling-rules-20120215,0,3017021.story

--

QuietShootr
02-15-12, 19:52
They drive me nuts on my work line. I always click through and spend a couple of minutes abusing the ****** on the other end of the line - I actually got one to mother****er me a couple of weeks ago.

Waste their time, it's the only thing that ****s them up. And I can always multitask to cost jackasses money.

mtdawg169
02-16-12, 10:34
I've been getting these damn calls for months! Not a day goes by where I don't have a voicemail from them at home. They actually caught me at home one day, so I answered the phone. It reeks of fraud or identity theft. I toyed with the girl on the phone for a few minutes and finally hung up. I'm ready to ditch my land line because of this sort of BS.

TomMcC
02-16-12, 10:52
Hi guys. I can tell you exactly what these things are. I've even know people who have used them.

Technically, they are probably classified under "credit counseling." For a fee they will work on your behalf to lower your interest rates with any credit card company. The cost has changed over time...I've seen it be flat fee and be a percentage of what you owe.

One person I know pays $70 a month for their services. Even though I think the fee is insane, he is pleased with the results, and they will have his debt paid off soon. I think it is insane because he has the same service available to him for a lot less.

When I talked to them, they wanted a flat fee, and I think it was $2500.

Don't want them to call? List your cell phones and home phones on the Do Not Call list. You can also check and see if you are listed. I thought we were, and found out we were not. I joined the list Dec 1. Things were quiet for the holidays anyway, and in January the 30 offers (calls) we would get a day were down to 1 or 2. GREAT IMPROVEMENT.

Do be aware the list is for state to state callers, not for those that call from your state (like home improvement offers). If someone outside the state calls you, you can report them. You have to be on the list to report a caller.

If you have credit rating issues, or debt issues, you can use the system we use (solid company, best in country, decades old). Drop me an email and I'll fill you in.

TTFN ~

Wifey

chadbag
02-16-12, 11:06
Hi guys. I can tell you exactly what these things are. I've even know people who have used them.

Technically, they are probably classified under "credit counseling." For a fee they will work on your behalf to lower your interest rates with any credit card company. The cost has changed over time...I've seen it be flat fee and be a percentage of what you owe.

One person I know pays $70 a month for their services. Even though I think the fee is insane, he is pleased with the results, and they will have his debt paid off soon. I think it is insane because he has the same service available to him for a lot less.

When I talked to them, they wanted a flat fee, and I think it was $2500.

Don't want them to call? List your cell phones and home phones on the Do Not Call list. You can also check and see if you are listed. I thought we were, and found out we were not. I joined the list Dec 1. Things were quiet for the holidays anyway, and in January the 30 offers (calls) we would get a day were down to 1 or 2. GREAT IMPROVEMENT.

Do be aware the list is for state to state callers, not for those that call from your state (like home improvement offers). If someone outside the state calls you, you can report them. You have to be on the list to report a caller.

If you have credit rating issues, or debt issues, you can use the system we use (solid company, best in country, decades old). Drop me an email and I'll fill you in.

TTFN ~

Wifey

Rachel is not selling a credit counseling service. They are running a scam. Google "rachel cardholder services" for more info. If it was a legitimate (though rip off) credit counseling service, they would answer questions like what company they are, etc. They don't. They hang up.

And I AM on the do not call list and have been for years and YES, I verified it. They don't care.

chadbag
02-16-12, 11:12
Some interesting info. If your state is listed, maybe you can do a little research and see if you can sue them (if we can figure out who they are). Small claims court can be your friend.

http://www.donotcallprotection.com/do_not_call_chart.shtml

--

d90king
02-16-12, 11:17
There are a couple of ways that I have been able to get them to stop calling.

A) Act very slow (retarded)
B) Repeat everything they say back to them very slowly and then ask them to repeat it to make sure you understand.
C) I start asking them questions. What bank they use, what car they drive, where did they buy there car, did they get a good price, how do they have to dress for work, is a high school diploma needed for employment and what kind of grades they got in HS, how much money they make, what are their cubicles like, what phone systems do they use, I then ask them to hold a second because I'm very interested.... I keep going back and say just one more minute... Then I say I'm ready to go do they accept AMEX.

I then ask for their home number so I can call them during dinner :D

Took about 3 calls and they have never called back :D

orionz06
02-16-12, 11:28
I rarely get calls like this on my cell phone and I did not place my number on any list. Those I know that have placed their number on these lists get more calls than ever. Something to consider.

As for getting rid of the callers, just make moaning and slapping sounds and breath heavy asking them to repeat their name. If it lasts long enough ask them to say your name. Never fails.

usmcvet
02-16-12, 20:00
There are a couple of ways that I have been able to get them to stop calling.

A) Act very slow (retarded)
B) Repeat everything they say back to them very slowly and then ask them to repeat it to make sure you understand.
C) I start asking them questions. What bank they use, what car they drive, where did they buy there car, did they get a good price, how do they have to dress for work, is a high school diploma needed for employment and what kind of grades they got in HS, how much money they make, what are their cubicles like, what phone systems do they use, I then ask them to hold a second because I'm very interested.... I keep going back and say just one more minute... Then I say I'm ready to go do they accept AMEX.

I then ask for their home number so I can call them during dinner :D

Took about 3 calls and they have never called back :D

That is priceless.

I've been getting 5 or 6 calls a day on my cell. Half the time there is no one there when I answer. One puke hung up me when I told him he wasn't saying my name right.

jmp45
02-17-12, 09:42
Bob & Tom's show murder scene call response..;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkdoogjic4I

Suwannee Tim
02-17-12, 16:10
I always like to ask these assholes for their cell phone number. If it's ok for them to call my cell phone it should be ok for me to call their cell phone.

Bubba FAL
02-20-12, 23:46
I get these stupid calls several times a week on my work cell (don't have a land line). My number is registered on the DNC registry, BTW. Funny thing is, I don't have a credit card. No sh!t there's no problem with my card - I don't have one!

You'd think if these clowns were gonna scam someone, they'd at least check to see if someone actually has a credit card. Maybe next time I'll hang on the line and jack with the dipshit that called.