PDA

View Full Version : Trade in a G17RTF for a G19?

Nephrology
02-15-12, 16:41
So, I own 3 9mm glocks - the platform I've decided to consolidate on. 1 G17RTF, 1 G19, and 1 G26. All gen3 and all flawless outside of a few isolated failures to return to battery in the 17 (which were all with wolf, which I suspect was underloaded.)

Anyway. I keep kicking the idea aroun of trading in the 17 for another 19. Now I use the 17 as primarily my IDPA/IPSC competition pistol. the RTF makes for a great grip especially come summertime, and the 17 does lend itself to better shooting under time than the 19. additionally, the RTF w/ fish gills is pretty unique and probably will mature a little bit in value over time (certainly relative to my Gen 3s).

However, I do really feel pretty strongly attached to the 19 and don't like to load/unload it very often for dry fire.

I'm hardly in a rush to do this, but looking to solicit opinions (especially those of SMEs) on the following : would trading in my 17 for a Gen 3 g19 be a smart move, to consolidate on the frame size? or is the difference ergonomically between the 2 pistols small enough that it doesn't make a difference?

The way I see it I already have enough redundancy such that if my gun were to be taken as evidence I still have a carry sized pistol (G26, which I want to keep) and a home defense handgun. and of course in teh wake of a shooting I probably wouldn't mind being less of a nazi with my credit card in order to get another Glock 19 to keep in case my former assailant or his/her friends are upset with my course of action...

thoughts? how much consolidation is too much?

DocGKR
02-15-12, 18:14
You have functional, reliable pistols, all in the same family. Keep them. Glocks are cheap, if you want another G19 for training, go find a used one.

Beat Trash
02-15-12, 19:18
I agree with Doc's Post.

There are enough threads across the Internet discussing the reliability of new gen3 and gen4 Glock 9mm's that I'd be hesitant to sell off a Glock that I knew was functional for an unknown gun.

Keep the G17. Look for another G19 if you wish. But wait to ensure it's GTG before letting your G17 go.

Omega Man
02-15-12, 19:23
I agree with Doc's Post.

There are enough threads across the Internet discussing the reliability of new gen3 and gen4 Glock 9mm's that I'd be hesitant to sell off a Glock that I knew was functional for an unknown gun.

Keep the G17. Look for another G19 if you wish. But wait to ensure it's GTG before letting your G17 go.

This.

JHC
02-15-12, 19:36
You have functional, reliable pistols, all in the same family. Keep them. Glocks are cheap, if you want another G19 for training, go find a used one.

This! Don't part with that RTF2.

Guns-up.50
02-15-12, 19:45
Funny I have been considering this similar option. First I also have a RTF 17 and havent even considered selling it. 1 they dont make them any more and 2 everbody needs a g17. As far as the 19 goes I think it might be my favorite pistol..The 19 is small enough to carry big enough to hit the range with comfortabley with I rarely use my 17. So for me I will be keeping my rtf and buying another 19. Not sure of how many pistols you have sold but all mine I end up missing.
Good luck hope this helps

Talon167
02-15-12, 20:28
I wouldn't, and basically echo others' comments. You've got the trifecta Glocks and it wouldn't be ideal to split them up, IMO.

9mmhpfan
02-15-12, 20:41
I like the G-17 RTF2 as mentioned it sticks like super glue to your hand and it is a 3rd Generation. I would keep it and trade something else.

caddishatch
02-15-12, 21:10
If this helps, I have 3 G19's and I would love to have a RTF2 G17. I had an opportunity to by one new for $489 and I waited one day too many. Keep that gun!

okie john
02-15-12, 21:47
I had an opportunity to by one new for $489 and I waited one day too many. Keep that gun!

Keep an eye peeled and you can beat that by $100, at least around here.

Okie John

MODiesel
02-15-12, 22:08
I've got the exact same stable of Gen 3 Glock 9's and wouldn't think of getting rid of the G17 RTF2. Outside of being rare, it's a great gun for new shooters. Everyone I've introduced it to loved the grip and the weight, and the long sight distance really helps with learning basic accuracy. Plus, it's a G17...the one that started it all, and I got mine NIB from a guy for $400. They can be had for cheap.

If anything, I'll keep an eye out for more RTF2's or some earlier Gen 2 G19's. It really is a perfect platform, but I'll just add to the inventory vs. dumping the G17 for one.

Evan_O
02-15-12, 23:27
If this helps, I have 3 G19's and I would love to have a RTF2 G17. I had an opportunity to by one new for $489 and I waited one day too many. Keep that gun!

Surfman42 on Gun Broker has them in stock at $479. He is an FFL holder with a full shop. I'm no way affiliated with him I've just done business with him recently. Great guys to work with and last I spoke to him I believe he had roughly 60 NIB Glock 17 RTF2's left.

Nephrology
02-16-12, 05:50
Solid advice all around. i'll keep it and see if I can't just add another G19 this summer when my summer stipend comes in.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
02-16-12, 09:02
Surfman42 on Gun Broker has them in stock at $479. He is an FFL holder with a full shop. I'm no way affiliated with him I've just done business with him recently. Great guys to work with and last I spoke to him I believe he had roughly 60 NIB Glock 17 RTF2's left.

I just perused his inventory and it appears he is out :confused:

lebowski
02-16-12, 10:07
I would keep the G17 and save up for another 19.

G17 and G19 are compliments, not substitutes, IMO.

JonInWA
02-16-12, 13:34
Keep what you've got-as DocGKR said, you've got a trio of superbly performing Gen 3 Glocks as it is. While it certainly isn't a bad idea to get a second G19, I wouldn't recommend sacrificing one of your current guns for it, especially given the level of uncertainty regarding Glock's resolution to both currently produced Gen 3 and Gen4 G19 extraction/ejection issues.

Best, Jon

Evan_O
02-16-12, 14:45
I just perused his inventory and it appears he is out :confused:

Did you try him on GB? When I purchased from him his web store showed out but he had them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blake144
02-16-12, 15:16
Save your money and look around, 19's can be found for cheap if you look and wait long enough.

Phillygunguy
02-17-12, 08:49
I recently got a g 17 rtf2 and I love it and would never sell it I also have a g19 but the damn trigger guard always scrapes the top of my third finger and gets uncomfortable after a whilef but ill still keep it. I own 4 glocks 17 19 26 and 30 I wont be getting rid of any of them so unless you really need to I would keep the g 17rtf ,plus they arent as popular and you may want it again

FailureDrill-P099
02-17-12, 09:44
There is no way I would get rid of my G17 RTF2 I love it. Just save up for a few months and buy another G19

DocGKR
02-17-12, 10:16
Phillygunguy--your issue afflicts many shooters and is typically easily solved with a bit of reshaping on the trigger guard; I use a Dremel and do that to all my Glocks...

9mmhpfan
02-18-12, 21:20
I got my G-17 RTF2 cheap because the seller was trying to get of them and got it for about $100.00 less than the new Gen 4 G-17.