PDA

View Full Version : Heavy weight bullets in M14, M1A1

S.E.R.T.
02-16-12, 00:21
our patrol area includes large rural areas and we have a few Springfield M14's (every cruiser is equiped with an AR15). we have nuisance animals such as black bears, wild pigs, and the occasional bull on a rampage in the highway ( .40's and 5.56 were an embarrasement on that). would there be any harm to the op rod or rifle if we were to select a 180 or 200 grain load ? i searched the forums pages and may have missed something on this topic. dont believe a roundnose would give us total reliability but as long as o.a.l. is good would it cause trouble using something other then the 147 to 150 grain weight ?

Wiggity
02-16-12, 01:09
Why not just use slugs in a patrol shotgun?

S.E.R.T.
02-16-12, 01:20
we do have slugs but are looking for more precision (less liability). we believe it would be easier to use a heavier .308 than a slug with precision. (i hate to say this but its a sad fact) some of our officers are not gun nuts and only shoot when its time to qualify, ever see the pattern at 75 yards from somebody who shoots probably 20 slugs a year ?

Mr blasty
02-16-12, 01:48
I would send Different (http://m4carbine.net/member.php?u=17269) a PM and talk to him about it. He's one of the biggest experts available on the M14. There are things that need to be done to the gas system such as vented gas plugs and grooved pistons in order to drop the pressures to safe levels. It can absolutely be done but it does require work be done to the rifle.

Mr blasty
02-16-12, 01:52
Also, it's the M1A not M1a1.;)

S.E.R.T.
02-16-12, 01:55
thanks a million, and will do. yeah i figured i was wrong on the M1A, sleep deprivation and errornet searching has clouded my mind. thanks again.

Mr blasty
02-16-12, 02:08
Glad I could help.

P.S. Tell your guys to practice the damned shotgun more!:p

Alaskapopo
02-16-12, 02:40
we do have slugs but are looking for more precision (less liability). we believe it would be easier to use a heavier .308 than a slug with precision. (i hate to say this but its a sad fact) some of our officers are not gun nuts and only shoot when its time to qualify, ever see the pattern at 75 yards from somebody who shoots probably 20 slugs a year ?

We use 870's with slugs for bear and moose problems. I would love to have a lever 45 70 for that purpose but its much too expensive on the departments budget. The point is as long as you have rifle sights hitting is no problem. Our slug qualificaiton only goes to 50 yards and the officers shoot 10 slugs a year if they don't fail the qualification. That being said most of our animals are shot at close range due to several factors. 1. enviromental factors 2. Don't take a shot you can make because you don't want a wounded animal running away obvious. The bears I have had to shoot have been as close as 7 yards to as far as 12 yards.

A .308 however for your needs seems fine and it would have advantages in other situations. Not sure if you can shoot heavier bullets in the M1A however why not try Hornaday's 165 grain interbond round. Anchorage PD SWAT uses it for defeating glass in their precision rifles and likes it. It should do reasonably well on animals as well.
Pat

Ark1443
02-16-12, 06:17
I sold my Springfield M1A back in December, but I remember clearly during the few years I had it, that I was only to use 147 through 177 grain bullets, otherwise it would damage the op rod, per Springfield Armory.

5pins
02-16-12, 08:34
I sold my Springfield M1A back in December, but I remember clearly during the few years I had it, that I was only to use 147 through 177 grain bullets, otherwise it would damage the op rod, per Springfield Armory.

I remember reading that also.

I think the best bet would be to use something like a 165gr Barns bullet; it should give you good penetration.

ICANHITHIMMAN
02-16-12, 21:08
Why not just pic another bullet like a Barnes in a weight between 140-180g? The SMK will kill deer and bear very well but it would not be my first choice. Only issue I see is increased gas port pressure and the ever present issue of non mil hardend primers in commerical off the shelf ammo.

S.E.R.T.
02-16-12, 21:39
after pm'ing "Different" were going to stay with 150 to 170 and look into barnes triple shock and noslers partition. thanks for the helpfull info and glad i asked before shooting heavier weights.