PDA

View Full Version : DBAL D2 Class 1 IR laser - a Texas Evaluation

SC-Texas
02-16-12, 10:36
the video is here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-fmQC2VhAY

I had the opportunity to evaluate the performance of the new, pre-production LDI DBAL D2 Civilian Legal Class 1 IR laser. LDI sent it to me for a NV Shoot that was rained out last week.

I took it to the Impact Zone and observed it on the 100 yard and 200 yard known distance ranges and around the property. The DBAL D2 has a LED illuminator in addition to its Class 1 aiming laser. This illuminator is the equal of the onboard illuminators that the PEQ-2a and PEQ-15 (both the insight and DBAL I2 units) have built into the units. The illuminator can be focused in to a narrow IR beam for illuminating targets at 200-300 yards (this was the limit of the range) and focused out to a flood to illuminate a wide area without blooming your PVS-14.

The eyesafe aiming laser is easily and clearly visible at 200 yards on most any surface. This equals the usable range of the PEQ-2 and 15. While the DBAL D2 doesn't have the high output laser function of the PEQ-2a and the PEQ-15s, this function is not something that is overly useful in the civilian, hog hunting world.

The DBAL D2 is perfect for most civilian, LEO and military uses. The aiming laser is powerful enough to be usefull out to 200 yards and the illuminator is powerful enough to light the darkest corners and illuminate the area under the tree canopy as you are moving around the lease at night looking for pigs

I'll post the next video when I get it put together.

Victor
02-16-12, 22:18
Nice video Sean. Very clean footage.

Vic

Dos Cylindros
02-17-12, 11:32
Crap, I just felt my bank accout drain. I need one of these, what a great product for civilian and LEO who want to own a personal device. This really looks like it has alot of performance and more than enough capability for standard civilian and LEO operations.

SC-Texas
02-17-12, 13:29
Thanks guys.

k9barco
02-17-12, 16:02
Really well done video! What is the battery life?

SC-Texas
02-17-12, 18:50
We don;t want to talk about battery life since the 1 CR123 battery is powering both the laser and the IR LED . . . lol

Its around an hour I think.

I might leave it on and test that theory.

rockmyglock
03-19-12, 12:43
We don;t want to talk about battery life since the 1 CR123 battery is powering both the laser and the IR LED . . . lol

Its around an hour I think.

I might leave it on and test that theory.

I love to hear the results of the batt drain test.

Thanks for the video! This was some super footage that made me appreciate the DB2 a lot more.

SC-Texas
04-03-12, 18:46
Thanks.

k9barco
05-06-12, 19:33
Any test on the battery yet? Any more opinions on the overall performance on the dbal2 and it's strengths and weakness?

alex71
05-21-12, 14:15
Any test on the battery yet? Any more opinions on the overall performance on the dbal2 and it's strengths and weakness?

^^^ Also want to know this answer. I cant decide if I want this over the Dbal I2

SkyPup
07-11-12, 07:40
Boy are they nice!:D

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/DBAL%20D2/DBAL%20D2%20Top.jpg
http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/DBAL%20D2/DBAL%20D2%20Side.jpg
http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/DBAL%20D2/DBAL%20D2%20Right.jpg

k9barco
07-19-12, 20:39
These look really cool, but with one hour run time on the batteries I will wait For the the next generation to come along. $1800 for a green laser put's a big dent in my budget.
What would you guys recommend for a guy on a budget in the meantime?
This would be for a SHTF safe rifle.

Victor
07-21-12, 10:51
These look really cool, but with one hour run time on the batteries I will wait For the the next generation to come along. $1800 for a green laser put's a big dent in my budget.

An LDI ITAL or OTAL single beam IR laser ($525) along with a Torch Pro ($239) that is being released next week may an option for you.

Vic

ClearedHot
07-22-12, 02:25

LDI doesn't exactly have the best track record when it comes to reliability in their devices. You would be better off finding a second hand PEQ-2 in the EE.

At least Insight Tech knows how to build a pretty bombproof laser device.

Victor
07-22-12, 18:40
LDI doesn't exactly have the best track record when it comes to reliability in their devices. You would be better off finding a second hand PEQ-2 in the EE.

At least Insight Tech knows how to build a pretty bombproof laser device.

Not sure here, but have you ever seen the countless body housing failures from the PEQ-2A's? Also there is a VERY good chance any PEQ's are stolen or somehow collected by not so legal means. That is an unfortunate truth.

Vic

ClearedHot
07-22-12, 22:26
Not sure here, but have you ever seen the countless body housing failures from the PEQ-2A's? Also there is a VERY good chance any PEQ's are stolen or somehow collected by not so legal means. That is an unfortunate truth.

Vic

I've also seen bent MIL-B-11595E steel barrels on M16A4's. As far as I know there hasn't been anything invented that a grunt can't break. ;)

As I said in the other thread, there are many grey market Class IIIb lasers out there. Usually bought by LE depts and re-sold on the open market. Not stolen property and legal to own.

Victor
07-22-12, 22:49
I've also seen bent MIL-B-11595E steel barrels on M16A4's. As far as I know there hasn't been anything invented that a grunt can't break. ;)

As I said in the other thread, there are many grey market Class IIIb lasers out there. Usually bought by LE depts and re-sold on the open market. Not stolen property and legal to own.

You can see my other post on this, LE Agencies RE-SELLING restricted IR lasers is strictly forbidden and always has been. They all have to sign legal docs that explicitly talk about this. We know this as we have to supply the forms to all agencies before they can even purchase a restricted laser.

Several months back, a few officers were arrested for this very thing along with selling NFA weapons on top of the restricted IR lasers.

There is no such thing as grey market restricted IR lasers except for the DOE lasers they mistakenly sold to a FFL holder.

Of course, the bottom line is what happens to the restricted laser (no matter who makes it) when and if it goes down? It cannot be repaired and becomes and expensive paper weight. Many folks find out the hard way and that is very unfortunate. Why not just not buy a legal Class 1 units nowadays and avoid all the risk and hassles?

Sorry this thread went away from the DBAL-D2 evaluation topic matter. :-)

Vic

JSantoro
07-23-12, 09:30
Not stolen property and legal to own.

First part's technically correct, while still being illegal from a procedural standpoint, the bolded portion is....fuzzy.

If one checks the verbiage, it's not unlike the way some drug-posession laws are written; while actual posession, in and of itself may not be illegal, procuring is entirely illegal. (It's an imperfect analogy, I know; work with me...)

How does one posess without procuring....? Legally, technically, in this case, one cannot. I'm not fully up on the background/development of the laws of it; I'm not a lawyer, and gynecology is only a hobby of mine.

Folks putting Class 3B devices up on the EE....it's not unknown for them to get a call from some agency, acting on the behalf of the FDA, asking after the disposition of that device. Owner AND buyer beware...anybody that says "That's how I gots mine, yer fulla shit....," no, you just got lucky. LE are LE, not the Eye of Sauron that immediately knows where The Precious is as soon as it's exposed.

Having seen non-agency- afiliated individuals in posession of and using devices of Class 3B or over doesn't negate the fact that they're placing themselves in an "actionable" position if they don't have an approved variance from the FDA.

Thus endeth the thread-drift, here and in the other one.....