PDA

View Full Version : How many rounds approximately do you think have been through this Mark 23?

TMS951
02-16-12, 13:30
I came across this add for a Mark 23. I understand the short coming of this pistol based on size. I have big hands and have extensively shot my uncles. In MA a new one is not an option.

Seller claims 400 rnds, however the outside of the chamber looks like it has much more ware than 400 rnds. I am mostly looking at the side where the serial number is.

Also it looks like two of the mags are actually for a HK45, can you confirm this, are they totally different mags, or just different floor plates?

pics in link

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/145664-WTS-HK-Mark-23-pre-ban

I understand I am asking for speculation on your part, but maybe someone knows if these guns get a lot of early ware, or not.

Also the seller is a FFL, not that that means much.

Thanks,
TMS

Kain
02-16-12, 18:29
Maybe he likes to rack the slide a lot? I don't know, I have a .40 Expert with 250 rounds through it and I believe there is some wear in the same area.

That said I think he is a little high, seen them local down here in the $1800 range with ~500-800 rounds through it on local, when I see them. Now I have seen them as high as $6700 at gun shows, but I digress.

I can't speak to the mags.

rjrivero
02-16-12, 23:07
The mags with the different floor base are the high capacity mags. The one in the gun, and the second from the right in the mag pictures. The others are plugged 10 round mags (thanks to Clinton.)

The wear on the chamber looks about right for 400-500 rounds. I would like to see the O ring area as well, but it looks like an honest 400 rounds.

Having a "Fake can" is a nice nostalgia touch. I tried to get Knights to make one for me with a matching serial number, but they stopped doing it a while back. (Missed it by that much!)

I do agree that it's on the high side, but what are you willing to pay for a fake can and a couple extra (10 round) mags?

skyugo
02-17-12, 02:41
I'd be pretty surprised if the guy managed to wear it out. the black finish on guns tends to wear off of contact points pretty fast, but that doesn't mean the metal is worn significantly.

TMS951
02-17-12, 11:19
It is being sold in MA which is a ban state. He's says all the mags are 10rnd. The ones with the floor plates that don't seat look a lot like HK45 10rnd mags. I was looking on hkparts.net to make the comparison.

Thoughts?

gkanga
02-17-12, 13:37
400 rounds is probably about right, maybe 500. The barrel of the Mark 23 is somewhat notorious for the black finish wearing off quickly, but it's not a problem. Corrosion resistance is not affected.

The mags with the weird floorplates (without the notch) are probably aftermarket mags. The others look like genuine HK mags.

ralph
02-17-12, 14:31
I honestly don't know..I have a P-2000 with a known 2000rnds on it,and it dosen't show as much finish wear on the barrel, that the MK23 has..I know this dosen't mean much, different pistol, caliber, etc, OTOH, I don't think I worry about it too much..I've never heard of one being worn out..

Suwannee Tim
02-17-12, 15:22
40, 400, 4000, hard to tell from these photos. Even with the gun in the hands of an expert the best he could give you is a SWAG (http://www.gettingpredictable.com/how-to-turn-a-wag-wild-ass-guess-into-a-swag-scientific-wild-ass-guess/). It ain't like you have a lot of choices.

Spiffums
02-17-12, 19:05
The "real" mags will have a slightly longer feed lips than USP full size mags.

Does the case look like OEM? I know my friends expert was Grey and the Blackhawk! bag is Black.

ETA: The case question

mrosamilia
02-17-12, 22:12
I don't know the value of the can but I just picked up a brand new one Wednesday with 4 high cap mags for $1950 total.

Belmont31R
02-17-12, 22:22
My USP 45C has less external wear marks than that at 4k rounds. But Im not a Mk23 expert, either, so FWIW and all.