PDA

View Full Version : why I am sticking wigh the M14 over SCAR or MWS.

xcibes
02-16-12, 14:11
I am constantly told that if I want a .308 rifle I need to get a SCAR17 if I am looking tor a battle rifle, or an MWS if I want a precision rifle. That's all fine and dandy, and from what I gather, they are both excellent weapons. Both are modern, realiable, and more ergonomic than the M14. They are also very expensive, at least for my meager budget anyway.

Lower cost is a big reason I stay with the M14. A SCAR17S runs $2,500.00+ on a good day. I got an M14S for $795.00, paid $325.00 for a complete GI parts kit (brand new parts in the wrappers) minus barrel and receiver, paid $60 to have the rifle completely checked and brought up to spec, and still have less than half the cost of a SCAR17, plus as an added bonus I can find magazines for it. IF I had the money I would buy something more modern and more ergonomic like the SCAR17 or an LMT MWS, but based on what I see here, I see no reason not to go with an M14 as a general purpose rifle if you don't want to or cannot afford to spend mega bucks on an alternative. Just something to think about.

JBecker 72
02-16-12, 14:28
Have you looked at what a M14 runs for now a days? $1500 for a POS Springfield, and $2400 starting out for a LRB built for you. So IMO the SCAR or MWS ain't a bad deal.

xcibes
02-16-12, 14:38
I thought they were about $1,000.00 for a base one. At least that's what I saw at a gunshow last year. Guess I got a good deal then (for once).

Moose-Knuckle
02-16-12, 14:59
SA commercial grade M1A go for $1300-$1500 around these parts.

Vickers has good things to say about the SCAR 17, can't wait to see what all he has in store on his show about MBRs.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=95957

Esh325
02-16-12, 15:07
When the SCAR is not a niche rifle and not above 1,800k maybe I will consider it. The Colt SP901 coming out seems like an attractive option. I heard it will be fairly priced.

m1ajunkie
02-16-12, 16:28
I got out of the m14 game because it was a pricey rifle. I bought my standard springfield in 04 when prices were fair for what I feel the rifle is. I still feel like the m14 is a solid iron sighted battle rifle, but when you start adding modern tools to help in a fight is when the extra cost comes in.

I bought an mws and never looked back. My m14 has been on the chopping block several times, but I have a special place in my heart for it.

DeltaSierra
02-16-12, 17:02
I am constantly told that if I want a .308 rifle I need to get a SCAR17 if I am looking tor a battle rifle, or an MWS if I want a precision rifle. That's all fine and dandy, and from what I gather, they are both excellent weapons. Both are modern, realiable, and more ergonomic than the M14. They are also very expensive, at least for my meager budget anyway.

Lower cost is a big reason I stay with the M14. A SCAR17S runs $2,500.00+ on a good day. I got an M14S for $795.00, paid $325.00 for a complete GI parts kit (brand new parts in the wrappers) minus barrel and receiver, paid $60 to have the rifle completely checked and brought up to spec, and still have less than half the cost of a SCAR17, plus as an added bonus I can find magazines for it. IF I had the money I would buy something more modern and more ergonomic like the SCAR17 or an LMT MWS, but based on what I see here, I see no reason not to go with an M14 as a general purpose rifle if you don't want to or cannot afford to spend mega bucks on an alternative. Just something to think about.

I guess you haven't been looking at the market lately, as a good M1A will run you well over what an MWS or SCAR would.

I know someone that has over $4000 into his M1A (just the rifle, not counting glass,) and it isn't all that fancy - an LRB in a McMillan stock.

Spooky130
02-16-12, 20:08
Your cost numbers are way off for today's guns and USGI parts.

I too love my M1A - from the early 90s with all USGI parts - but I know the SCAR 17 is a better all around rifle. Too bad it is so hard to find mags though.

Spooky

xcibes
02-16-12, 22:50
Sure, you can spend a fortune on any rifle.. given that I don't need 1/2 MOA accuracy, and I use irons, plus given what I paid for my rifle and spare parts, It just does not make economic sense to upgrade right now even though I would love a SCAR or MWS. If M14 prices keep climbing the way they apparently have risen then that does make a more modern rifle much more attractive.

Alaskapopo
02-17-12, 01:41
Sure, you can spend a fortune on any rifle.. given that I don't need 1/2 MOA accuracy, and I use irons, plus given what I paid for my rifle and spare parts, It just does not make economic sense to upgrade right now even though I would love a SCAR or MWS. If M14 prices keep climbing the way they apparently have risen then that does make a more modern rifle much more attractive.

I have been looking at getting back into .308 autoloaders after swearing them off for a while. I looked hard at the M1A, SCAR, and Larue and right now I think I am back to the SCAR. Its expensive but available and its one of the most tested .308 rifles out there right now according to Vickers which does carry some weight.
Pat

Iraqgunz
02-17-12, 04:05
I remember how I felt when I first bought my SOCOM 16. It was cool. Primarily because I lived in a Communist state and it was the only rifle I could buy worth a crap that didn't require gay modifications.

Then I purchased the Troy MCS kit, added this that and the other and I was into it for over 3K with magazines, etc..

I don't miss it. If I could do it over again I would have saved the money for something else. When I buy my next .308 it will probably be an LMT MWS. If SCAR-H mags become more available I may change my mind. I may even give the LaRue rifle a shot.

RogerinTPA
02-17-12, 04:29
I remember how I felt when I first bought my SOCOM 16. It was cool. Primarily because I lived in a Communist state and it was the only rifle I could buy worth a crap that didn't require gay modifications.

Then I purchased the Troy MCS kit, added this that and the other and I was into it for over 3K with magazines, etc..

I don't miss it. If I could do it over again I would have saved the money for something else. When I buy my next .308 it will probably be an LMT MWS. If SCAR-H mags become more available I may change my mind. I may even give the LaRue rifle a shot.

I'm thinking of going the OBR route myself after this rotation. I was going to jump on the LMT MWS train based on the reports on this forum, until I was in a class a couple of months ago with a retired SOF guy with over 2 decades of long range precision application experience. He also shot the MWS, as well as the SCAR sniper variant. He recommended the 7.62 OBR for the best accuracy, over anything currently commercially available. My concern is that the glass for this project may cost as much as the weapon itself.

Iraqgunz
02-17-12, 05:30
I guess it depends on what you want the weapon for. I have shot Pappabears' LMT a few times and it is very accurate.

Since I am not on HRT or hunting animals the accuracy I have seen with a good optic is more than acceptable. Plus magazines are dirt cheap.

Glass is almost always as expensive or close to the cost of the weapon, no doubt.

I'm thinking of going the OBR route myself after this rotation. I was going to jump on the LMT MWS train based on the reports on this forum, until I was in a class a couple of months ago with a retired SOF guy with over 2 decades of long range precision application experience. He also shot the MWS, as well as the SCAR sniper variant. He recommended the 7.62 OBR for the best accuracy, over anything currently commercially available. My concern is that the glass for this project may cost as much as the weapon itself.

misanthropist
02-17-12, 12:39
I have also stayed with the M14 as a 7.62 platform...but that mainly relates to the fact that Canada doesn't have the same import restrictions that the US does, and consequently I've been able to buy Norinco M14s for well under $500, and I spent a few years in the M14 scene tuning them, so I have a bunch of M14-specific knowledge that would be rendered useless if I switched platforms.

So my options are: dump one of my favourite rifles, which has several thousand rounds through it and which I know intimately having done 100% of the work on it myself as I addressed the typical DORW-spec (Drunk on Rice Wine) Chinese QC, and invest another $3000 in something else, or just keep shooting a gun I trust.

I just keep shooting the gun I have. It works well and I don't need the degree of accuracy that I could theoretically get from an AR platform. Further to that, Canadian gun laws mean an AR can only be used at the range, while my M14s can be taken anywhere...it just makes life easier to stay with the M14 for me.

The main issues I have with it are A) the pain in the ass with mounting optics, and B)...maybe there is no B. I guess cheek weld issues. You can either run it on the irons, in which case the stock works, or put on an optic, in which case you need a riser, and the irons are hard to use. Just a bit annoying IMO.

Ideally I would like a simple, lightweight setup that allows me to mount a low-powered variable, but still see the irons. I don't know of any options like that (although I have been out of the M14 thing for a few years so something may exist by now). So I just run it with GI irons. Works well, but it does seem a little pointless to have the big 7.62 with only irons.

But it never fails to feed, fire, and extract, that's for sure.

infidelprodigy
02-17-12, 12:43
I am really looking hard at the new PredatOBR (predatar with an OBR barrel). Loved the way it felt and I much prefer the handguard over the standard OBR one. It also includes the switchblock from the original OBR.

Larue guys even had a 14.5" 7.62 that turned out sub-moa at 800yds.

Something like that with a decent 1-6 or 1-8 scope would be hard to beat for a general purpose rifle.

Spooky130
02-18-12, 10:29
I guess it depends on what you want the weapon for. I have shot Pappabears' LMT a few times and it is very accurate.

Since I am not on HRT or hunting animals the accuracy I have seen with a good optic is more than acceptable. Plus magazines are dirt cheap.

Glass is almost always as expensive or close to the cost of the weapon, no doubt.

The LMT will be more than accurate enough for 90 to 95% of the shooters out there. It definitely has some heft to it as well and it just feels like a heavier precision/sniper/DMR/what ever you want to call it rifle. And cheap, quality mags are very nice.

I am becoming a very big fan of my SCAR 17 though. It is very handy - especially when you consider it is a .308 - it really isn't much bigger or heavier than the 5.56 version. However the magazine issue is keeping it down at this time. I have had an order in for 9 months now and I know others who have waited over a year for mags. Besides that I really, really like it.

And it is always funny to talk about buying a $1000 - $1500 - $2000 - $2500 gun and bitch about mag prices. To top it off, feeding a .308 is getting more and more expensive every year.

Spooky

infidelprodigy
02-18-12, 10:54
The Colt SP901 might show some promise as well, especially at the forcasted ~$2200 price point.