PDA

View Full Version : Prototype AK-74 DMR rifle with Straight Jacket system

MilitaryArms
02-16-12, 14:32
If you guys watched my video from last year from David Fortiers Big 3 Event (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwUI-uIl-cw), you'll recall I featured a PSL rifle with a barrel system called the Straight Jacket from Teludyne. The Straight Jacket promises to drastically improve the accuracy of any barrel it's applied to. I was impressed with it after shooting it at David's, so I contacted my friends at Atlantic Firearms to see what could be done with this system to create an affordable AK-74 DMR rifle system. If this prototype goes forward, they will be sold exclusively through Atlantic Firearms. I have no financial stake in this rifle system, I simply put the two companies together and I get to test it to see how it performs.

Now, remember, this is a prototype. This is one of two rifle in existence and this likely isn't the final form the rifle will take should it go to market. This prototype only has the Straight Jacket system installed along with the Parabellum Armament AKARS rail system. The rail system, stocks, scope mount, etc. may change down the road.

The rifle is a new Waffen Werks AK74 built on a Bulgarian parts kit using a new chrome lined 5.45x39 US made barrel. The rifle is built on a NODAK SPUD receiver.

Now that I have the prototype (just picked it up today) the testing will begin to see how the system performs.

http://www.intempusphotography.com/photos/i-jbrQ7Lk/0/XL/i-jbrQ7Lk-XL.jpg

http://www.intempusphotography.com/photos/i-7JjQgRn/0/XL/i-7JjQgRn-XL.jpg

http://www.intempusphotography.com/photos/i-SZ4XFR8/0/XL/i-SZ4XFR8-XL.jpg

Esh325
02-16-12, 14:54
It's an interesting concept, but it some what defeats the purpose of it when there's very little good choices in ammo for 5.45x39. For maximum accuracy, I would think a non chrome lined barrel would be better. Are they considering a 7.62x39 version?

MilitaryArms
02-16-12, 15:10
Actually, that is the purpose. It's claimed (by Teludyne) with run of the mill 5.45x39 it can shoot 1 MOA. We'll see.

MilitaryArms
02-16-12, 15:11
Other calibers are always an option. The 7.62x39 isn't really a very good choice given the ballistics. It's not well suited for long range accuracy.

Esh325
02-16-12, 15:20
Actually, that is the purpose. It's claimed (by Teludyne) with run of the mill 5.45x39 it can shoot 1 MOA. We'll see.
If that's true, then that's quite impressive. I'm not so sure there are even AR15's that can shoot that well with standard ammo.

Other calibers are always an option. The 7.62x39 isn't really a very good choice given the ballistics. It's not well suited for long range accuracy.
I never considered those rounds to be ideal for long range. Light rounds like the 5.45x39 are very influenced by wind deviation.

MilitaryArms
02-16-12, 15:23
The rifle is a DMR rifle intended for medium range engagements, like DMR rifles based upon the 5.56mm platform. The 5.45x39 is flatter shooting than the 7.62x39 which has a "rainbow" trajectory at extended ranges.

lloydkristmas
02-16-12, 17:28
Was the cheeseball handguard a necessary evil given the extra width of that barrel setup?

CumbiaDude
02-16-12, 17:46
I never considered those rounds to be ideal for long range. Light rounds like the 5.45x39 are very influenced by wind deviation.5.45x39 is deflected half as much by wind as 7.62x39.

As an example, in a 20 mph wind, 5.45 is deflected 10.2" at 200 m. 7.62 in the same conditions is deflected 18.8".

MilitaryArms
02-16-12, 18:00
Was the cheeseball handguard a necessary evil given the extra width of that barrel setup?
Yes, there's no way to hang a conventional handguard on it with the barrel system. One of the things that might change is the handguard used.

96 SS
02-16-12, 18:03
I got some close up time with their PSL at shot and liked the execution.

I wonder if one could use the longer saiga type barrels for even better results. Do they make a longer 5.45?

MilitaryArms
02-16-12, 23:36
I got some close up time with their PSL at shot and liked the execution.

I wonder if one could use the longer saiga type barrels for even better results. Do they make a longer 5.45?
I don't know of anyone making a long barreled 74. But the VEPR's in 7.62x54R and .308 have long barrels and would be prime candidates for this setup.

anthony1
02-17-12, 05:46
Yeah BC and speed effect drift not weight.

But anyways, back on topic, how big is that barrel? Looks like a varmint barrel from a bolt gun stuck on an AK. It might be capable of moa, l've had some decent groups from surplus 7n6 out of regular AKs, not moa but l dont benchrest my AKs or have scopes on them either.

MilitaryArms
02-17-12, 11:02
It's the standard OEM barrel under the Straight Jacket that's 16" in length. It doesn't really add all that much weight to the rifle:

http://www.intempusphotography.com/photos/i-6phtF3Q/0/L/i-6phtF3Q-L.jpg

Docwade
02-18-12, 13:33
Interesting concept. I would still like to have one in 7.62x39.

Sgt_Gold
02-21-12, 12:48
If that's true, then that's quite impressive. I'm not so sure there are even AR15's that can shoot that well with standard ammo.

I've shot many M16's that were MOA rifles. It's M855 that that isn't MOA ammo.

d90king
02-21-12, 13:38
Very interesting product. Not sure if it was the wind or whatnot, but it almost sounded like it had a can on it. Did you notice any sound reduction?

BAC
02-21-12, 13:47
This very much interests me. Someone put these guys in touch with MI and get long SS-style rail built around this. :eek:

-B

rojocorsa
02-21-12, 16:16
I'm guessing the 7N6 is good for this due to its long slender bullet, a la 6.5x55 Swede Mauser.

Interesting concept.

threeheadeddog
02-23-12, 20:01
I wonder if the improved accuracy claims are due to something similar to the great accuracy of the Dan Wesson revolver.

In the Dan Wessons you basically had an inner barrel that was held on by a sleeve(the barrel you see) but was put under tension by a bushing at the crown. It was the exact opposite of "free-floated" but seemed to produce an exceptionally accurate handgun. I could see if the sleeve of these rifles was fastened on both ends and kept the barrel under tension that it would result in better rigidity.

Of course that is a shot in the dark guess and these may work some other way. I know that heat dissapation is apparently the goal whith these.

ermac
02-24-12, 15:38
I never had much interest in 74's, but this some what peeks my interest. If I were to get a 74, this might be the one. Would have been nice if they had a nitrated barrel instead.

doodi1
02-24-12, 17:38
I want to do this to one of my PSL's. I like it a lot.

How do you like the Parabellum Arms rail mount compared to the TWS Dog leg you reviewed a few months ago?

Alaskapopo
02-25-12, 09:32
Looks fugly to me. Also heavy. But if it works and makes someone happy great.
Pat