PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here ever tried Super Quick Clean Guns? UPDATE: Did some testing this morning

Altair
02-17-12, 08:40
Has anyone here ever tried Super Quick Clean Guns? A rep from the company gave me a sample to try to get my Department to buy some but I haven't tried it out yet. It is supposed to clean, lube, and protect (sound familiar?) which makes me skeptical, especially since it is supposed to be a dry lube after application. I fall firmly in the camp of "run it wet" with my AR's and preach that to my students, but I'm willing to give this stuff a shot. I just haven't ever heard it mentioned here and was wondering if anyone had any first hand experience, good or bad, with this product.

I have a never fired late 70's M16A1 I think I'm gonna try it on. My department just received 42 M16A1's in the original packaging through the DRMO program and I can't think of a better way to test this stuff than on a gun that is bone dry and has never been lubed or fired before. I took one out a few weeks ago for some training that I lubed up with my standard procedure (Lucas Gun Oil on the BCG, Slip 2000 EWL grease on the carrier rails, and Duraplate on the locking lugs) and it ran great semi and full auto. We'll see if this dry lube can do the same.

MidwestRookie
02-17-12, 13:03
Never heard of it, but that is just an awful, awful, product name..

Altair
02-17-12, 13:34
Never heard of it, but that is just an awful, awful, product name..

I think that is at least part of why I'm so skeptical. I'm skeptical of anything that claims to do everything, since I've never encountered such an item, but that name sounds like Snake Oil doesn't it?

MidwestRookie
02-17-12, 13:44
It definitely does..

Reminded me of this when I read it.. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=super-happy-fun-time!

Freedoooom
02-17-12, 14:32
Probably some sort of different smelling Ballistol clone.

Altair
02-17-12, 16:33
The strange thing was I was unable to find information about it from people who had actually used it. A Google search turned up one thread from INGO (Indiana Gun Owners) where a few guys said they liked it but the posts were generally of the "it cleaned the gun up nice but I haven't shot it yet" variety, which doesn't tell me much.

The only useful info in that thread seemed to be that it removes rust well and keeps fingerprints from showing up on the metal when you handle the gun.

BIGUGLY
02-17-12, 16:45
Sounds like its a gimmick, if the established makes of quality gun lubes and cleaners haven't made it how did this company suddenly show up with the uberlube. I'm pretty sure you have some established products with good track records.

I say stick with what your using.

Altair
02-17-12, 18:39
Sounds like its a gimmick, if the established makes of quality gun lubes and cleaners haven't made it how did this company suddenly show up with the uberlube. I'm pretty sure you have some established products with good track records.

I say stick with what your using.

Not to worry, I don't intend to change over or make a purchase for my department to use without thoroughly testing the stuff first. The guy gave me a free sample and I told him I'd test it, so I will. I got the two rifles prepped today so hopefully I'll have time to put a couple hundred rounds through each this weekend.

Test Rifles:
http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww103/aplorton/SQCG/100_7127.jpg

OIPactual
02-17-12, 19:05
I have used it and have no complaints, but it does dry off after a while. Cleans well but for general lube I use Mobil 1.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Altair
02-20-12, 10:57
I did my first bit of testing this morning. After sitting for several days the SQCG rifle looked fairly dry, which was expected. The rifle oiled with Mobil 1 looked like my patrol rifle, still wet and ready to run.

I fired the first mag of 30 in each relatively slow fire. One or two shots then back to the ready and worked my way through the mag. Then I did the same with the second rifle, giving the rifles a break between magazines. The second mag I did 3-4 shot strings in a similar fashion. The third magazine I did longer 5-6 shot strings. Everything ran fine for both rifles.

I took a break and looked at both guns. The BCG with the Mobil 1 still looked wet and was smooth cycling. The BCG with SQCG still looked dry but was still cycling smoothly as well. Both rifles were starting to get a little dirty but nothing significant.

The last two magazines were done on full auto (a 4 round string or a 12 round string was done with a single trigger pull). This time I did not give the rifle a break between mags. The first mag I fired 4-6 shot strings until it was dry, did a speed reload, and then fired 8-12 round strings until the second mag was dry. Both rifles ran through the two magazines without a problem.

I inspected the guns again. The BCG with Mobil 1 was still wet and still smooth. The BCG with SQCG was still dry and still cycled ok. The difference I noticed was that the Mobil 1 rifle could be eased into battery with barely a noticeable difference in resistance when the bolt was engaging the locking lugs. The SQCG rifle was starting to show the slightest resistance, but still not much.

In short, both guns ran through 150 rounds without so much as a hiccup. I am not going to clean either rifle and hopefully can get through another 150 rounds in another range session this week and see how things go.

One side note, the 10 magazines I used were recently purchased from AIM. They are D&H teflon coated magazines with Magpul followers and are on sale for $8.95/ea if you buy 10 or more. I figured it would be a good time to try them out and, obviously, they ran fine even in full auto.

Altair
02-28-12, 14:57
I did some more testing yesterday. Another 150 rounds through both guns put me at 300 each for the pair. They are still both running strong. The second 150 rounds was fired like this:

I fired one mag of 30 in semi-auto, 2-4 shot bursts. I then speed loaded and fired a second mag in full auto, doing short bursts of 3-5. I did another speed load and fired a third mag still in auto, with longer bursts of 8-12. I then switched rifles and did the same with the second rifle.

I then took the first rifle back out and fired a mag in auto with long 8-12 round bursts. When it was dry I did a speed load and did a full 30 round mag dump in full auto. I then repeated that with the second rifle.

The SQCG gun is bone dry now, not a hint of lube visible, but it still cycles smoothly. It does have a bit more resistance than the one lubed with oil, but not much, and it hasn't affected functioning. The one that was oiled by my standard procedure is still wet and still completely smooth.

I think I'm gonna throw them both in my deep freeze for a few hours and run a couple more mags through them to see how they hold up. This should favor the SQCG since the wet lube should thicken in the sub freezing temps. We'll see.

Littlelebowski
02-28-12, 16:14
You need an dry, unlubed control.

Altair
02-28-12, 16:31
You need an dry, unlubed control.

I'd love one, but they wouldn't give me three rifles. I'm also burning my ammo, so this will have to do.

Littlelebowski
02-28-12, 16:39
I'd love one, but they wouldn't give me three rifles. I'm also burning my ammo, so this will have to do.

I'd save the ammo for training; not this silly lube. The training helps you. The test really helps no one.

Altair
02-28-12, 21:52
I'd save the ammo for training; not this silly lube. The training helps you. The test really helps no one.

I'm shooting drills while I'm testing the rifles, mostly silhouette targets at close range. I'm not one to mindlessly burn ammo shooting at nothing. Thanks for the encouraging words though.

Altair
02-28-12, 21:53
I followed through with the freezer test tonight. I put both rifles in my deep freeze and got them down to 2 deg F. I then took them out one at a time and fired two magazines through them. The first mag was short bursts and the second was long burst, much like I had done before.

I shot the oiled rifle first. I wasn't sure if it was going to give me trouble as I was concerned it would thicken up. When I pulled it out of the freezer, water had condensed and was starting to freeze on the surfaces before I even got to the firing line. Well, it gave me no issues at all. It chambered easily on the first round and ran through both mags without flinching.

I took out the second rifle and it did the same as the first, with water condensing and starting to frost over the surfaces. I went to chamber the first round and it didn't go all the way into battery. A light tap on the forward assist fixed that and I proceeded through both magazines without a malfunction.

When cold, the SQCG rifle felt much stiffer and almost gritty. I thought the dry lube would be less affected but I was mistaken. The mobil 1/ATF mix didn't even slow down.

I then took both rifles into my house and let them sit for a few minutes. They warmed back up above freezing but had alot of condensation on them. I then fired through two more magazines in each with the same cadence (short bursts on the first, long on the second) and neither had any trouble. The SQCG gun still feels less smooth, but it worked.

I've now gone through the ammo I had set aside for this test. I thought I would have hit a malfunction in one of the rifles by now without any cleaning or lubing. If nothing else, this is a testament to the original M16A1 design. They sat in storage for 30 years never oiled or fired, I pull them out and run through 420 rounds on two different rifles, and both have sucked it up and pressed on.