PDA

View Full Version : building a sniper-grade upper, etc.

iomatic
02-17-12, 11:37
Forgive the newbishness. Looking for recommendations, thoughts, etc. Trying to stay cheap, naturally. Also would like to build a .22 upper at some point for ultra cheapness.

Since I have a complete, I was thinking I'd just swap out an upper to do sniper matches. Is that an acceptable approach?

-20" barrel (no idea who, specs, or whatnot)
-free float rail (lightest? or...?)
-obviously, optics; probably the most expense here?

-trigger job on the lower (would probably suit all types of shooting)
-or-
-cheap lower to feed the upper build

Or do people just figure, spend the $200 on a complete cheap lower, and eat that cost?

Thanks!

wetidlerjr
02-17-12, 11:42
You might want to try this link. :D
http://m4carbine.net/search.php

Ken1973
02-17-12, 11:46
Search as has been said

or

Do some reading in the "Precision Rifle - Semi-Auto" section.

iomatic
02-17-12, 12:11
Thanks, I think.:blink:

I missed the forum topic (thanks for moving)! Also, maybe I should be more specific:

Would you build a complete for specific tasks or do you think that having swappable uppers is a good/bad idea?

Ken1973
02-17-12, 13:19
Depends what you intend to do with them. You can get by with swapping uppers but you may find there are things you really want on the lower with one or the other upper that aren't as easily swapped out.

You said the precision upper was for competition. What is the other one being used for?

iomatic
02-17-12, 15:31
.22 for erm, cost savings, I guess. I wonder what the return rate is on investing in a .22 platform over time is?

But, yeah, I have no idea if people generally just build completes or swap uppers, since it's so darn easy.

This look like a good starting point?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mk_12_Special_Purpose_Rifle

C-grunt
02-17-12, 16:16
Here you go.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/SPR-Mk-12-Upper-Receiver-Half-Groups-s/131.htm

Easiest and one of the best options. I would eventually build a complete lower for the precision upper with a Gessiele trigger.

iomatic
02-17-12, 17:51
That's what I figured, you end up spending the nominal amount on a lower anyway (comparatively speaking), so may as well go complete, right?

12 hundies. woof!

hawk45
02-17-12, 22:47
There is a good article by Zak Smith at Demigod. You really can't relate shooting and cheap together because your hardware ends up being the lowest cost part, so you might as well do it right and be done. Nobody ever complained about buying quality tools.

Look at the end of the first page of this article it gives a good breakdown of the costs of competition shooting.
http://demigodllc.com/articles/practical-long-range-rifle-shooting-equipment/

BTW.. lots of other great articles there.

Myself, I built my lower with all the specific components I wanted and put a complete upper of quality on top. If you plan on changing the stock and trigger of a pre-built lower, you might as well by a stripped one and build your own up with what you want. Same goes for an upper if you can't find everything you need. Swapping a handguard wouldn't rule out buying a complete upper as I could sell the stock handguard, but if there is lots of other things to replace I'd just build that too.

Your barrel and trigger (outside of marksmanship skills) is what's going to give you maximum accuracy, everything else is fluff.

Good luck in your matches this year.

MistWolf
02-18-12, 04:58
Threads about 22 LR options can be found in the pistol caliber sub-forum. I found this thread to be particularly useful
http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=94908
I chose to order the CMMG 22 adapter. Still waiting for it's arrival so I can't tell you from experience how well it works

C-grunt
02-18-12, 10:37
That's what I figured, you end up spending the nominal amount on a lower anyway (comparatively speaking), so may as well go complete, right?

12 hundies. woof!

Cheap and a precision AR don't go together.

Cheap, accurate, well built. You can pick two.

iomatic
02-18-12, 13:49
^ should probably be in a FAQ:

Looking to save money on a precision AR? Stop now.

jwfuhrman
02-18-12, 15:19
Nordic Compenents makes a hell of a good 22lr upper. They are one of the top of the line 3gun accessories producers and I really want one of their 22lr uppers to do 3gun training

BluewaterTactical
02-22-12, 22:10
I have built nice accurate uppers/rifle with mostly Del-Ton and CMMG barrels in 18 and 20 inch lengths. Average cost for a free floated railed flattop with 2-stage trigger usually ran around $1300.

It seems that there isn't much accuracy difference between quality factory barrels from the major manufacturers. Most barrels are made by only a few makers anyway.

Almost every barrel I have used has been able to hit 1MOA or smaller as long as decent ammo was used.

I used to run a company called Tennessee Police Supply and custom built uppers all the time so drop me a PM if you have any questions.

hawk45
02-23-12, 08:36
Nordic Compenents makes a hell of a good 22lr upper. They are one of the top of the line 3gun accessories producers and I really want one of their 22lr uppers to do 3gun training

+1 I love my NC Upper! It goes to the range EVERY time I go out. It's just that much fun to shoot. Maybe b/c it's the only caliber I don't have to worry about collecting brass and reloading for after shooting. :-) I've got the 16" model and works excellent out to 100yds (haven't stretched further). Expensive but I've yet to have a failure to feed with every cheap .22 ammo available. Runs bulk pack (Remy, Winny, etc). I do only use copper coated with the bulk stuff. But it does run lead fine also.

zombie killer
03-29-12, 23:38
My opinion build or buy a quality upper and get a .22 conversion instead of a .22 upper. I have 1 and it has paid for itself.