PDA

View Full Version : When did you get into AR's?

ASH556
02-17-12, 15:35
I haven't seen a thread like this. I apologize if there is one. I think it's fun to see from whence we came.

For me, I got into AR's in 2002. The Federal Assault weapon's ban was in full-swing and the rumors were that it would not expire. I paid $30 each for my first 30rd magazines, and they were "refurbished" pre-ban meaning that they had new springs, new followers, a new powdercoat finish, and you hoped that the bodies were in decent shape.

ARMS mounts and #40 folding rear sight were the BEE's NEE's. I thought I was truly high-speed with my Aimpoint Comp M2 in my ARMS throwlever mount with cantilever riser so that it would sit out over the Delta ring. I had a Surefire M952, also with an ARMS throwlever mount and an AAC copy of a KAC VFG with a bicyle innertube holding my Surefire tapeswitch. I had an A2 stock on a 16" carbine because in the event that the ban did sunset, it would at least be worth something whereas the "fake" collapsable stocks would be worthless. I also had a plain muzzle instead of a perm'd brake, with plans to have it threaded in a few years "if" the AWB sunset. I had a RRA lower and a Bushmaster "Patrolman's Carbine" upper. Folks would pay $1500+ for a pre-ban gun. Wow, how far we've come in 10 years!

I dumped the complete setup with the Aimpoint, Light, etc before the AWB expired. Somehow, even thought I worked in a gun shop, I wasn't that into guns/AR's during the AWB sunset and didn't own another one until probably 2006. At that time I was reading all the Kiss threads on TOS and built this up. It's a Colt 14.5" with a Perm'd AAC 18T Phantom on a Colt A2 upper with a Colt m16 BCG all sitting on an LMT-made Lauer Custom Weaponry lower.
http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/IMG_4090.jpg

I later determined that I needed a light on the gun and put this monstrosity on it (Surefire M500AB):
http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/IMG_4029.jpg

I stayed in the KISS mindset and mocked rails, red dots, etc until 2010, when I actually tried to run the gun instead of having it sit in the closet. After being smoked by guys with lighter and faster setups, I sold that KISS rifle and built this last year:

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab104/ASH556/T1-MAGLT3.jpg

It's funny how things go around. I've since ditched the magnifier from this setup and now it really flies. I've got the paperwork in process for a DD MK18 SBR too, so I guess you could say I went from the stone age and jumped hard and fast into the modern age!

truename
02-17-12, 15:41
I got my first AR right after the ban expired, I didn't know too much about them then but I wanted to get one before anyone had a chance to reinstate the AWB.

SpaceWrangler
02-17-12, 15:44
June of '85 at Parris Island. We were told (don't know how true it is) that we were the last boot Series in the Marine Corps to train with the M16A1. Mine was 4857451, SIR! :D

Loose, rattly, shot-out, bent-sighted piece of shit. It was probably hoisted onto the Contras a couple years later. May they suffer peacefully.

A host of A2's throughout the remaining five and a half years, then a couple Colt AR's (a 6520 and a 6933) since regaining my civilianship.

AMMOTECH
02-17-12, 15:50
Held my first AR back in the mid '80s...
Shot an A1 in basic training during the fall of '87.
Purchased my first one (Bushmaster A2) in 1998 after PCSing back in from Turkey. (I still have that lower)

akgunnut
02-17-12, 15:52
I got into ARs back in 2007 when I shot a friend's Bushmaster. It's a very ergonomic platform and all the controls are within easy reach using one hand. I ended up buying my first one which was the S&W M&P15 in 2008 and have owned three ARs with my Colt SP 6920 being my one and only right now. The last two were both M&P15s and unfortunately both were sold due to money issues but now I realize selling guns doesn't really do anything so no more selling guns for money for me.

darbn
02-17-12, 16:37
I shot my friends RRA AR probably 8 years ago and had to have one. AR's are addicting.

shua713
02-17-12, 16:37
I just bought my first ar in oct '11, It is a DDM4 V3, I got it out of fear that later in life I may not be able to get one.

Univibe
02-17-12, 16:41
I bought my first one in 2000 during the Bush v. Gore campaign. I figured it was a good time to get one, since if Gore won, we might see a tightening of the AWB.

Funny, I don't remember a huge wave of panic buying and crazy prices as happened during the McCain v. O'Bama campaign. I wonder why.

I do, however, remember paying $20 for well-used preBan magazines, and $30 + for new ones. That's why I bought a pile of 'em after the AWB expired in '04.

Todd00000
02-17-12, 16:45
I bought my PSA A1 while still in college in 1993 before the Clinton ban, but started shooting them when I joined the Army in 1988.

danco
02-17-12, 16:59
Bought my first AR (SP1) back in 1982.

Bought a S&W MP-15 a year ago. Found this site about a month after that. Learned the error of my ways, and

Bought an SP6920 a month ago.

~Dan

JoshNC
02-17-12, 17:00
Colt 6551 Blue Label pre-94 purchased just after the Clinton ban in 1994 for $1700. Little did I know that in 1994 I could have purchased a transferable Colt M16a1 for about $2k.

I still have the 6551.

Doc Safari
02-17-12, 17:00
This is a good time to reiterate why I like this site so much. What some people call "brand snobbery" or "Chart Snobbery" I consider just good, conscientious information. The objective buyer will appreciate it. The lower tier AR fanboy will look silly jousting against it.

I bought my first AR literally almost 20 years ago in the fall of 1992. Since the Bush 41 ban (that only affected imports) was already on, preban imports were selling at a premium when you could find one. The first ugly thumbhole AK's were coming into the country, and some gun shops were so paranoid they wouldn't even sell you the thirty round magazines with the rifles.

So I bought my first AR. Since it was all US made, it was allowed to have the evil features (this was before the 1994 AWB). It was a CAR-15 clone that was mostly accurate except I believe it had the A2 style lower.

I really wanted to love that gun. Lightweight. Collapsible stock. Inexpensive ammo (even 7.62x39 hadn't quite gotten cheap yet).

The trouble is: it was a "parts gun". It was built by the "gunsmiths" at that gun shop from questionable parts. The bolt rings shattered within the first magazine and locked the rifle up tight. I returned it for something else.

My appetite was stoked, though.

I later bought a couple of Bushmasters after believing all their lies about their quality being as good as Colt's, or the military's, or whateverthehell.

Needless to say my Bushmasters were less than stellar in the reliability department. By then the 1994 AWB loomed and I squeezed enough cash out to buy a couple of Colts. At that point I decided to make them safe queens since they were about to become irreplaceable.

The lack of reliability in the Bushmasters finally made me think that all AR's had problems, even my mostly unfired safe queen Colts. So I sold them all and thought I was done with AR's.

I collected other weapons for several years.

Then in the fall of 2010 I started subscribing to the Outdoor Channel and Sportsmen's Channel. All the shows with M4's made me want one again.

I actually had a "second tier" M4 on order when I discovered this site. Thank God I had time to cancel my order and get a real M4.

To make a long story long, this site narrowly saved me from making the same mistake I did 20 years ago. Wish I could have had the chart in 1992, I would have bought nothing but Colt.

I started with a Daniel Defense. I ended up with a couple of BCM's instead (nothing against Daniel Defense), and I'm hooked on AR's again.

I got rid of my other rifles. :D

usmcvet
02-17-12, 17:36
Late 1980's, I was 16 or 17.

Endur
02-17-12, 17:41
Since I was young I have always been a huge fan of firearms and wanted to learn them specificily the ar or as I knew it the m16/m4 until I did more research and learned them as ar. Joined the army in 07 and have been hooked on them since and can't wait to finish my build.

Johnny Yuma
02-17-12, 18:02
Bought an Armalite AR7 in '79 (first gun ! )
Shot my first Colt AR15 Sporter also in '79 ...
Bought my first Sporter in '81 as a H.S. graduation present to myself :D

Bought my first AR10 , an Armalite Sudanese on an H&H lower in '83 , followed up by a "NATO AR10 in '84 , also on a matching H&H lower ...

Set up an FFL dealership in '84 , dealing in AR's and other such "evil" guns ...
I was on the local County Board 86-90 ... the local paper did a nice article featuring the "gun toting county board member during the early rounds of the assault weapons ban movement ...

my avatar pic with my Sudanese AR10 is from the paper article ...

How many of y'all old enough to remember the Sendra AR15 lowers ?

TedG
02-17-12, 18:23
1974 as a LEO. At the time I didn't like it. I traded it and bought one the very first Mini-14s on the market and I paid a premium....$350. I don't know what that would be today, but nothing's changed, it still wasn't worth it. I should have stayed with Colt.

Looking at the other posts, it appears I'm the oldest XXXX on here. So, be nice to me, I'm an elder.

mrosamilia
02-17-12, 18:29
About 2 weeks prior to the ban picked up a Colt fresh out of high school

pira114
02-17-12, 19:26
1991. MCRD San Diego. But didn't buy my own until '08. Dont know why I waited so long. Just did. I shoot a lot of SAAs and Lever guns. Those are my first loves when it comes to hobby/fun stuff.

jtc556
02-17-12, 19:42
I had my first experience at Ft. Jackson in the Fall '98. I was hooked! I bought my first Colt a year later.

kml9705
02-17-12, 19:58
I shot my first AR in 1987, it was a Colt AR15A1 model that a friend of mine owned and I fell in love with it. I bought my first in 1988, a Colt AR15A2. I sold that in 1994 when the People's Republic of New Jersey instituted their own AWB and did not grandfather anything in as the Federal AWB did.

Well, back in 2002, if I remember correctly I bought a bushmaster which I still own and I bought a Stag Model 8 (with plus package) before finding this site. I found this site a few weeks ago and have loved reading all that it has. I have learned a lot and enjoy it very much and I try to log in everyday.

I will probably buy a BCM upper for the BM as soon as funds allow.

mkmckinley
02-17-12, 20:05
I've been into shooting since I was a kid but really got into ARs after I started military service.

duece71
02-17-12, 20:12
I held an AR way back in the late 70's. My uncle had a Colt SP1 (semi) with the triangular stocks. I never got to fire it. It felt heavy but what did I know? ( I was 8). That gun is long gone now. Too bad. I bought a Colt MT6400 right after the sunset of the AWB. The dealer had taken off the fixed collapsable stock and put on one by RRA. First time I shot it was at an indoor range (it was winter here in Central OH) and man was it LOUD. I was however, in love. The MT 6400 has changed a little, MB changed out for an A2 FH, stocks are now ALL Magpul. It has the half moon BCG which I am thinking of using as a spare and putting in a Colt FA BCG instead. Carrying handle has been replaced with an MI fixed rear sight and soon an Aimpoint will sit on top of the reciever. Love it.

JeepDriver
02-17-12, 20:24
My first AR was in June 2001. I didn't get start learning until after the AWB sunset, and didn't get serious until 2006.

militarymoron
02-17-12, 20:28
Colt AR-15A2 in '86.

fadin' fast
02-17-12, 20:30
1982, bought it at a gun show in Albany N.Y. Put together by a gunsmith in Vermont. Heavy 20" barrel, and the first one I had seen with a forward assist. Paid $550 for it, ( pretty good money back then), and it shot very well, and I still have it. 8,000+ rounds and it still shoots better than I can, anymore.
By the way, put a Bushnell banner 3X9 scope that I had, on it. Yes that is the cheap line of Bushnell scopes, I think it cost $79 back then. Still on the rifle, and still works like a charm.
Although I don't hunt anymore, used to use the rifle for dog hunting in the Adirondacks. Took a dog at -20 below right after Christmas once. Rifle worked flawlessly in that weather. Figured this type of firearm was a keeper.

hals1
02-17-12, 20:47
First got into them in the late 60s/early70s in the Air Force. I was always in a job where we had to qualify annually;). Originally it was with the M1 Carbine (I still love the carbine, but $1100+ for a good one?). Later, the M16.
I loved the M16 the first time I got my hands on one. Shooting Expert was easy. Didn't buy my first one until 2010 though. A Bushmaster. Then I discovered M4Carbine.net, dumped the upper and got a BCM 20" upper. Kept the lower and put a Mil spec RE and CTR on it; then a couple of BCM lowers and BCM middie 16" upper, etc, etc, etc.
I have 5 now, but I have two sons who don't own ARs. If the SHTF I'll have something for them to use. Yes, they can shoot, but they need training on two-way tactics. I have mixed irons, red dots and scopes. All have FSB/GB and backup irons.
I wish there was some training around here (Cheyenne WY).

hals1
02-17-12, 20:52
I got into ARs back in 2007 when I shot a friend's Bushmaster. It's a very ergonomic platform and all the controls are within easy reach using one hand. I ended up buying my first one which was the S&W M&P15 in 2008 and have owned three ARs with my Colt SP 6920 being my one and only right now. The last two were both M&P15s and unfortunately both were sold due to money issues but now I realize selling guns doesn't really do anything so no more selling guns for money for me.

Yeah, selling a gun, unless it's a dog, has always been a mistake for me too. I have given a couple to my sons though, which I don't regret.

Suwannee Tim
02-17-12, 20:53
My first, a Colt Hbar (I wish it was a sporter and I wish it did not have that stupid large pin) purchased in response to President Clinton's AWB. I shot the thing about 800 times then put it away and went back to my revolvers and bolt actions. The rest I purchased since the election of our much beloved President Obama. Since that time I have purchased several including more than one 7.62. (I am both a shooter and a half-assed collector.) The AR is so, so, so much superior to the M1/M14/M1A system.:D (Though I still love them old Ms and even shoot one every now and then.)

NitroDave08
02-17-12, 21:06
June '89 AF Basic, had to qualify every 6 months for 19 years. 2010-2012 got a Mini-14, then this year got the Colt 6920. Might even be converting my wife from her Mini-14 as her #1 rifle hehe.

Beat Trash
02-17-12, 21:13
On June 29, 1983 I went to MCRD Paris Island. I kind of got hooked and have been into the AR system ever since.

My first AR was an SP1.

The_War_Wagon
02-17-12, 21:27
Bought my first AR at age 24... in 1991. A PWA-HBAR that had previously been with the troops... at Valley Forge! :eek:

What a hunka CRAP! Almost made me give up on the platform. ALMOST... ;)

jashonkey
02-17-12, 21:36
The first one I shot was in 1972. It belonged to a Border Patrol agent friend. I was in high school. I bought a Colt SP-1 when I went to college in 1974. A few years later I was in law enforcement. Military later. I suppose a life spent on that weapon platform.....

NYH1
02-17-12, 22:00
I bought my first AR15 in 2002. It was a RRA A2 Tasc Rifle with the mid length hand guard. It was a really nice carbine. I should have bought a A3/A4 flat top though. I sold it in 2008 because I wanted to upgrade some of my hunting rifles with better (Leupold) scopes. Then planned on getting another AR15 A3/A4 flat top carbine. I didn't think it would have taken me so long to get another one. Got a lot of other irons in the fire though.

I still need a scope for my Remington 700 Classic 280 Rem., most likely a VX-2 4-12x40mm Scope and for my Remington 11-87 12 ga. 21" rifled barrel with cantilever scope mount, a VX-1 2-7x33mm Shotgun Scope. However, I figured I'd be better off getting the AR15 now before the prices go through the roof as we get closer to the election this fall. I'll buy the scopes over the summer and early fall as money permits. They'll be the same price and will be just as easy to get then.

So last week I had my friend (FFL dealer) order me a Stag complete A2 lower half. When I picked it up I asked him to get me a price on a Stag 1H complete upper half. He gave me a great price on one with the Plus Package. I couldn't not buy it. With the lower and upper put together it's basically a Stag Model 1 but with a A2 buttstock. It has a removable carry handle with A2 sights so we can shoot it for now until I figure out which optic setup I want to go with. We're going to shoot it tomorrow for the first time, can't wait. I'm glad to finally be back in the AR15 game. :D

NYH1! ;)

Campbell
02-17-12, 22:00
Mid 80's, basic training, M16A1

CoryCop25
02-17-12, 22:01
I was an AK/SKS fan for years. I traded a Colt Officers 1991A1 and a H&K USP Compact 9MM for a Bushmaster in 1996. The seller told me that the Bushmaster was the best AR money could buy....:bad:

rustyshack11
02-17-12, 22:16
about 5 years ago

J_Dub_503
02-17-12, 22:27
I shot an AR for the first time in 2005 when I was 15. It was an Armalite that belonged to my uncle (can't remember the model.) Now at 21 I assembled my first AR (BCM w/ blem lower from G&R.)

A common theme I'm seeing here is...
1. Most bought a Bushmaster due to all the hype.
2. You all found M4C and subsequently sold the Bushmaters.
M4C is like a Honey Badger and it don't give a ****!:D

Locutus
02-17-12, 22:41
I started in 1975 with the A1 when the Uncle Sam sent me on an all-expenses-paid vacation to sunny Parris Island. Eleven years later, they upgraded me to the A2.

I've been shooting an M1 for some years after I retired in '99, but I got a POF P-415 in a trade and it really felt like I'd come home. I learned a lot about the overhype of piston guns and while I still like my POF, I just got a BCM BFH to compliment it. I've been stocking up on ammo and I can't freakin' wait until I get a nice day at the range to break it in!

:D

OH58D
02-17-12, 22:42
Fort Knox, Kentucky, June-August 1978. Army ROTC basic course. Was assigned an M-16 A1. First time I ever shot an "assault weapon". Loved hitting targets at 300m and earned my expert rating.

OH58D

SuperDuty
02-17-12, 23:01
Four months ago...

pcardinal42
02-17-12, 23:13
After shooting one in basic I had the bug but it took a couple of years and getting out of the dorms on base so I could actually have it with me. It's been almost exactly two years now and no turning back.

RogerinTPA
02-17-12, 23:32
As a kid. My dad had a Colt SP-1. Personally, 1994 Colt AR-15A2 Sporter. Before that, a folding stock Mini-14 ( Ala' the A-Team TV series) for many years.

Evil Colt 6920
02-17-12, 23:33
I bought my first AR (6920)about 2.5 years ago. Within 1 month I bought another:D I decided on the AR after lurking around this forum. I had never shot or even handled the platform before my purchase. It has been a life changing experience for me. Ive been hooked ever since and lots of good times and great friends have come of it. The best hobby I ever had by far. :cool BIG THANKS to M4C :D

SANDMAN23
02-17-12, 23:42
Got bit by the bug in 1999 during basic at FT. Benning GA.

Raven Armament
02-17-12, 23:49
The first AR I bought was in 1999 when I was 18. I bought a Bushmaster complete lower with A2 stock. Three months after I bought it, I bought a CMMG 16 inch midlength flattop upper group. Just a plinker, seeing if I liked it. Started swapping parts out on the upper here and there, learning how it worked.

G30Mike
02-17-12, 23:58
Picked up a Bushmaster HBAR back in 2006. Been stuck on the platform since. Second rifle was a DPMS and now I've since upgraded to a Colt 6720 about 2 weeks ago. Planning on adding a Noveske sometime this summer when funds allow, then I'm going to try an AR pistol, they look like fun.

DoctorTran
02-17-12, 23:58
I had always been interested in AR's. Last year though, around July I started to actively look into buying one. My dad caught wind of this and got me a starter AR this last Christmas. A Smith & Wesson M&P-15 MOE. I like it, haven't got to use it as much as I'd like to though. I've been busy with work and moving into a house. Hopefully by the end of this month or early march I'll be able to get some quality time with it.

Paladin801
02-18-12, 00:24
1976, Colt. Still have it. Still a sweet gun too. Served me well on many a detail.

Bulldog60
02-18-12, 00:25
Purchased my first part in mid Nov 2011, a BCG from BCM and finished my build in mid Dec 2011.

ROUTEMICHIGAN
02-18-12, 01:11
1987-- ROK.

ThirdWatcher
02-18-12, 01:20
M16A1 in BCT (Ft. Leonard Wood, MO.) Jan.-Mar. 1973.

CLJ94104
02-18-12, 01:39
I bought my first one in 2000 during the Bush v. Gore campaign. I figured it was a good time to get one, since if Gore won, we might see a tightening of the AWB.

Funny, I don't remember a huge wave of panic buying and crazy prices as happened during the McCain v. O'Bama campaign. I wonder why.

I do, however, remember paying $20 for well-used preBan magazines, and $30 + for new ones. That's why I bought a pile of 'em after the AWB expired in '04.

Woooo buddy. I don't know where you live, but in FL once Obama got elected the AR supply was gone. That was my first time voting. Missed the '04 election by like a day. Got my first AR when Obama got elected, figured it might be my last chance. I love my Bushy. Finally getting around to making it right.

Casull
02-18-12, 02:37
My dad was a big AR guy back in the 70's. I personally never liked them since I was a lefty and shells would whack me in the face. (old SP-1 models)

One year for a hunt he made me a shell deflector and had me use it... I learned real quick how very nice they were. Light, fast, comfortable, and controllable.

ronster19
02-18-12, 08:30
CAR-15 '71-72 while in RVN. Later M16. Renewed interest about six months ago.

Bonez556
02-18-12, 09:41
I bought my first AR15 about 4 years ago. It was a RRA Enrty Tactical. I Ended up decking it out with about every accessory I would get my hands on. Quad rail, Eotech, Vltor Emod, Surefire light, vertical grip, sling, the whole 9 yards. It was a great AR. I wish I had it back!

wetidlerjr
02-18-12, 09:55
I bought my first AR (Colt, of course) back around 1972 (sold it a year later) but I really didn't "get into ARs" until 2002. I first shot the M-16 back in 1968 while in the USMC.

Univibe
02-18-12, 10:02
Woooo buddy. I don't know where you live, but in FL once Obama got elected the AR supply was gone. That was my first time voting. Missed the '04 election by like a day. Got my first AR when Obama got elected, figured it might be my last chance. I love my Bushy. Finally getting around to making it right.

No, what I meant was, in the 2000 race there wasn't the abject panic that you saw in '08. Prices were stable, all kinds of guns and ammo were available.

WWhunter
02-18-12, 10:09
Like most guys on here my first exposure was in basic training in the late 70's. I was soon a member of the Marksmanship team and competed all over the US. Shot many tens of thousands of rounds down range and it was back then that I ordered my first lower. It was a PWA and I still have it one one of my weapons. I actually built it as a 6mm-.223. I think the barrel was sold by "Old Sarge" and I sold it a few years ago.
Since then I have built up quite a few different systems and the one I am currently building will probably be a 300 or 6.8...... Haven't decided yet but am leaning toward the 300 since it can use the stock bolt and mags.
WW

MidwestRookie
02-18-12, 11:32
Summer 2011, on vacation down in Florida, went to a range with my dad and we rented an AR. It was my first time even holding one..we set up a terrorist/hostage target at about 40 yards and my first shot hit the bad guy right in his left front tooth..love at first trigger pull.

So, thanks to M4C I ended up with my BCM to help the 6 month wait on my Ed Brown. Couldn't be happier, just wish I could afford a couple more. :)

Kokopelli
02-18-12, 12:01
I've only really been "into" AR's since November 2011, but my introduction to them came in 1972.. LOL.. I never wanted to own one, preferring bolt rifles.. But now at 58 (almost) I've moved past all that and have been shooting 1911's exclusively for several years, after a twenty year break. I wound up getting a Colt 6450 for indoor range shooting and the affliction began. I'm selling a Les Baer on GB today to fund the latest AR.. Ron

dwheelock
02-18-12, 12:29
2010, one of the technicians i worked next to has been a gun nut his entire life. I'm a nerd for anything mechanical, and it wears off on you after a while. And of course once they let you borrow one, it's hard pressed to give it back!! :dirol:

DTHN2LGS
02-18-12, 14:49
My first exposure was in the Army with M16A1's.

I bought my first AR as a DCM model for Highpower competition in 2001. I sold it in 2006 after I stopped shooting Highpower matches a few years earlier.

My next AR wasn't bought until 2009 when I bought a stripped receiver at a local gun show and it put together along with a BCM 16" Midlength upper.

I have two more complete lowers waiting for $$$$ to get uppers to complete those guns now. "Someday" I'll get an SBR going too.

veeklog
02-18-12, 17:02
I bought my first AR in 1996, a Eagle Arms/Armalite 20". The only thing I have left on the first rifle is the lower since I gave away everything on that rifle. I started shooting a lot of rifle back in 2002 (was primarily a pistol/shotgun shooter for work) when I was issued my first rifle. Since the expiration of the AWB in 2004 I have a safe full of EBR's.

Turnkey11
02-18-12, 17:30
First one I shot was a Colt Sporter HBAR in 95' or so, didnt really take to it until going through basic in 99'. Bought my first AR (stripped lower) in 2005 and the rest is history.

!Nvasi0n
02-18-12, 18:25
2003...my girlfriend at that time (wife now) bought me a membership to the local gun range so I could spend time with her niece's BF who was into guns. Shot several of his HBAR AR-10's. Got my first HBAR a week after I married that girl in 2008. It was followed by a POS .22 Colt (umarex....seriously ****ing hated that POS). Followed by a RRA .458 SOCOM deer mutilator :) Then my current M&P-15.

Although they have all (except the knockoff POS .22) ran HARD w/o a hitch...but I still feel a void and am currently working on funding a SBR from a chart worthy mfg.

LowandLeft
02-18-12, 20:01
My insanity was stolen (bought my first AR) nine years ago when I was 17. Worked the whole summer to save enough. RRA LAR15... They were top shelf back then! It's been a slow, gradual slide since then.:happy:

ramsker
02-18-12, 21:45
I'm one of the rookies . . . bought my first AR last spring, so not quite a year for me. With the awesome resources here and the direct help/advice from a bunch of the great folks here, I picked up a DDM4XV and have really loved it. I haven't shot nearly as much as I planned to (or need to) but am planning to use it a lot more this year.

I have always been kind of infatuated with the M-16 since I was a kid . . . just thought they were really cool looking rifles. So I had it as a goal to someday try and get into an AR.

Squirtgunner
02-18-12, 22:33
Bought my first one as a wedding present to myself in 1997. Got another for a 1 year anniversary in 1998. Last year, for my birthday, my wife got me a S&W M&P 15-22. Love them, love to tinker with them, love to shoot them, love shooting them with my wife. I have other rifles, handguns, shotguns but the AR is easily my favorite.

Danoam
02-18-12, 23:30
I'm pretty new to ARs. I never even enter one a couple years ago. I had nothing againt them or the people that had them. I was just a bolt gun guy. I liked guns on general though and started reading up on this wonderful platform and decided to jump on in. Now I know a lot (but not everything) about the platform and am helping my friends get in to ARs the right way.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Quentin
02-19-12, 00:19
1968, Vietnam but after I ETSed I drifted away from the AR platform and didn't buy one until 2009. :confused: Got a Daniel Defense last year so finally back on track! :D

arjohnson
02-19-12, 00:34
Bought my first one in 1985, a Colt SP1 carbine.

Bubba FAL
02-19-12, 01:11
Bought a Colt Sporter Match HBAR new in box in '91 for a whopping $675.

Used it for Highpower matches and not much else. Built & shot FALs instead. Still have it, tho I've rebarreled it and replaced many parts over the years. It remains my primary match rifle.

Finally got a 2nd AR ~2005, built a 6.8SPC. Discovered how easy ARs are to build and have since built a couple more for myself and several for others. Finances have prevented me from expanding my AR collection further.

Still have a soft spot for FALs, but the ARs get a lot more trigger time anymore.

McTerry
02-19-12, 04:52
Almost exactly a year to date since the fire of interest was born within myself.

For years I was content with traditional hunting rifles, shotguns, and pistols. I always felt the AR platform as well as other "Assault Weapon" style rifles and carbines were impractical for civilians. Then I started to read and learn more about this platform and my curiosity quickly turned to infatuation.

It started last year in March when I quickly scratched together a Wish List that had just about every tactical accessory known to man hanging from the rails, zombie ejection covers, night vision optics, and everything else you can think of that will make most members on this forum cringe and quickly file me away as an idiot newbie. And I admit, I was (hell, still am) but my taste has turned more towards practical than tactical.

I realize this is different for everyone but for me I started to put together a true wish list of what I thought might be what I needed and not just what I wanted on my first AR.
I've been chewing the Internet Fat on AR's for a year and finally became comfortable enough to spend some money. Originally I wanted the cheapest complete AR I could find to deck out with everything but that changed with some research. Instead of the Del-Ton $725 carbine I went with a BCM 16" Mid-Length rifle, dressed her up in Magpul Gear and Furniture.
Over time some of the Magpul gear may and probably will be traded out for better, more robust stuff, but I am happy that I waited and did as much research as I have before buying my first AR15.

For anyone who has recently been bitten by the AR bug, my greatest advice to give is, "Do your homework, and then do it again."

Gunzilla
02-19-12, 08:54
Started out about 35 years ago with various AR-180s and messed around with them up until 2 years..... and 2 AR15s ago.

Tzook
02-19-12, 12:19
I bought my first lower from a friend 4 or so years ago, a Rock River with DPMS lpk. Mated that to a CMMG upper.

I've since sold that and upgraded, but while I had it the thing ran ok for me

steelonsteel
02-19-12, 12:22
I tried to resist tehm - I got sucked in, and resistance was futile.

GunnutAF
02-19-12, 12:45
I will qualify my answer of 5 years with the knowledge that I have used the platform for more then 30 years. I just never had a personnaly owned AR until recently. :D

Esh325
02-19-12, 13:23
About 3 or 4 years ago. I picked up a Colt SP-1, and loved the Vietnam era look to it. Probably the only AR15 that I remotely like.

Packman73
02-19-12, 14:20
2004 or '05; my wife's brother had bought a ASA and after killing a bouncing soda can like 5 times in a row, I knew I had to have one.:cool:

SOWT
02-19-12, 15:25
Shot M-16 during ROTC Summer Camp in 1981.
Bought my first AR-15 in 1984.

I am old.

rchmontreal
02-19-12, 15:56
Purchased my first Colt AR-15 Sporter SP 1 in August, 1982. Got together with 2 other pals in the Army for a "group" purchase to save a few bucks. We paid $793 Canadian per rifle, from a sporting goods store in Montreal (long out of business).

My rifle was a lemon right out of the box, with failure to chamber issues ad nauseum. I tried various cures (pre-internet, with only military tech manuals available), but ended up selling it after a couple of frustrating years.

Built my own using a PWA forward assist upper and double push pin lower, with surplus M-16 parts. That home build was extremely reliable.

The other rifles that my buddies bought functioned flawlessly, and still do.....

greenhornet-1
02-19-12, 16:24
My first one was a 50 beowulf. Ben addicted ever since. :D

Pistol Shooter
02-19-12, 16:44
I bought my first AR and lots of 5.56 ammo(Bushmaster M4 A3) in 2008 when it became obvious that Mr. Obama was the Democratic candidate for POTUS. :mad:

My primary love is pistol shooting but I picked up two Colts -- 6920 and 6940 since then.

BTW, we have to work together and vote this guy out of office

TacMedic556
02-19-12, 18:27
Was shooting my dads ARs since I was 5 or 6. He went to Gunsite when I was 11 or 12 and then again at 13. That was back in early 90 and or 91. He ran me through the drills back then and taught me all I really know as far as fundamentals.

I would say the entire success I have had with the M4 and 1911 and pistol technique comes from these formative years. After moving to Montana, we were able to dump lead on our own property. By the time I tried out for SWAT, they asked me what branch of the military I learned to shoot in.

CarlosDJackal
02-19-12, 19:03
My first encounter with an AR was with either an M16 or an AR-15 (pre-A1 variant) that a member of the Philippine Constabulary who worked as aneighbor's bodyguard was carrying. I asked him f I could hold it and he reluctantly cleared it and handed it to me. Event hough I was a skinny, under fed 8-year old I had no problems shouldering it and sighting through it (I didn't know how to use the sights). That was around 1971.

I first got to shoot the .22LR version of an AR in the late 1970s. This was the one that was built in the Philippines and used to be imported by Mitchell Arms.

In 1984 I was trained on the M16A1. During Basic Training I was issued one that had a solid buttstock and was made by the General Motors Hydramatic Division. I ended up buying my first AR in 1992, it was a 20-inch SGW (Olympic Arms) AR-15 that had an A1 carrying handle and sights and an A2 brass deflector. I later rebarreled that upper with a 16-inch carbine barrel I purchased at a gun show.

I used that variant in Carbine Courses until around 2006. I have since "retired" that receiver to my gun safe and gave the upper away.

old grunt usmc
02-19-12, 19:43
Dec,1980 U.S.M.C. boot camp at P.I. m16-a1 love full auto.Bought a colt ar-15 a-1 in 1990 then sold it.Then bought an Olympic (I know) in 2007 and sold it..lol,Now own an L.M.T. CQB 16" and love it!

bsmith_shoot
02-19-12, 19:57
I clicked 10 years or less, then I realized how old im getting. Its actually more than 10 years. I bought my first AR back in 2001, when I was the Chief of Security over a regional correctional facility. One of my co's was in a bad way with a divorce, needed cash, so I paid 400 for a bushy m4 type. I got into SRT, and fugitive apprehension, and started training pretty heavy. Wasnt long till I had a few issues, and decided to fix it with another rifle. I bought anot her bushy! It was a decent rifle, but it was plagued with the same problems as the other. I kept that rifle as a toy, then bought a BCM. Now, after 10 years, and countless rounds, I can finally say that I am learning about the platform.

TheBelly
02-19-12, 22:13
After the first time I got shot at in Iraq. Couple bullets going past my face let me know everything I DIDN'T know about the AR.

Dirty Dee
02-19-12, 22:32
Been into ARs since about 2008. I bought a stripped lower then, and began assembling the lower as i got spare cash. Wasnt until middle of last year that i picked up a KAC SR-15 upper to finish it off.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
02-20-12, 03:51
I shot my first AR in 07 before I joined the Marines, wanted some practice. It was a scoped RRA carbine, and the scope wasnt zeroed. I didnt hit shit with it and decided an AK47 was what I wanted, so I bought one. That AK stovepiped all the goddamn time.

I then went off to bootcamp and was terrified that I wouldnt even qualify when range week came around. Thankfully, I discovered that the M16 is an inherently accurate weapon, and I snagged Expert. I would go on to shoot expert every year after that, it was just too easy.

I bought my first AR in 2010. I had a box of spare parts already that I snagged from a buddy in the armory and I wanted a good solid rifle because I lived in a crime ridden area outside of base in So Cal. Like everything else that I buy, I started doing my research, and eventually decided on a BCM upper after spending a lot of time lurking here. I grabbed a stripped Spikes lower, put a DPMS LPK in it (my only regret, and Ive since replaced it), bought a BCM BFH Midlength upper, and Aimpoint H1, and a lot of mags. I am glad I went the easy route at first by not skimping on price and buying quality. I saved up and didnt buy it all at once, so that made it easy. I searched for good deals, like $60 for a Magpul CTR complete stock kit, $400 for a new H1 plus $50 for a new LT660 mount. $40 for a KAC BUIS, etc etc etc.

I will never understand why some people choose to buy a crappy rifle when if they waited another month they could have something that will last them a lifetime. It doesnt matter that Im not taking it war, it just matters that I got my moneys worth.

motorolahamm
02-20-12, 18:18
When i was about 6 years old I'm 33 now. My Dad was in the U.S. Marine Corps and use to take me to the range. used an old A1 always wanted to fire auto be only let me fire semi.

skyugo
02-20-12, 18:22
bought an SKS in 2006... it was a slippery slope to the AR in 08.
They're just a pleasure to shoot. how can you not want one?

jjw
02-20-12, 20:04
December 1967''
i was a e-3 with the 101ST ABN Gt Benning Ga. got a nib 1 form the armorer. no cleaning stuff so we used coke and stole gasoline, form the motor pool. took damn near all nite. we had a blast, guys came by form all over to see 1.

my uncle Samuel gave me 1 for my very own ,just before paying for a really cool Asian vacation. must have worked , i am still here

when u "Old Guys" talk about 20 years ago i just laugh.

Bedford Forrest
02-20-12, 21:07
I started into the black rifle look in 1984 with a mini-14 and a Choate stock. During the AWB I bought my first AR, a Bushmaster and used it in competition for a couple of years without any issues. As soon as the AWB ended I sold that one and picked up a Bushy M4 "IZZY". Luckily i ran across someone who turned me on to this site and I now shoot a Noveske N4.

mashed68
02-20-12, 23:49
I got into AR's when I was able to build a brand new one for $420 including a new Pmag. Its not a colt, and I don't care. Its a range toy only. So I guess I can't actually say Im "in" to Ar's lol. I just like rifles that are a part of military history.

Darkop
02-21-12, 11:16
Where is the more than 20 years ago button?

Bought my first AR15 in the mid 80's Colt Delta Hbar 20", A2, long, heavy, cumbersome, accurate as all hell.

GOD I WISH I STILL HAD THAT RIFLE!

Until that day,
Darkop

Watrdawg
02-21-12, 11:22
My first intro was in November of 85 at Ft. Leonardwood Missouri. M16A1. After getting out in Dec. of 89 I bought my first AR. It was a COLT HBAR.

530ktm
02-21-12, 11:29
Less than a year for me. I have always shot handguns and shotguns along with the good old 1022 but always wanted a good long gun. Just picked up the MP15T a couple months ago and am very pleased with it.

Sanpete
02-21-12, 12:33
Got into them in 2004 about the time the AWB was expiring. Bought my first (a bushmaster) a few months later, had it for a few years. Got a job in the industry as an armorer and it was then that I started to see just how much JUNK is out there in the AR market. Sold the bushmaster, had a variety of AR's in different configurations until I settled on the few I have left. After all the nonsense I've seen in junk AR's, there are only a couple manufacturers I'll even consider owning anymore. Eventually became a LEO (still am) and carry an M4A1 most days at work.

Texas42
02-21-12, 14:38
Bought my first lower during the Obama craze.

Got my first upper last year. Loving it ever since.

hill
02-21-12, 15:02
Bought my first in 1986...I had my heart set on an SP1 carbine and when I went looking they were all gone and the new AR-15 A2 was the only thing available...they didn't even have the carbine version so I settled. Flat sided, large pin thing of beauty. I paid 500 for it. I hauled it all over the SC hills into places I know I shouldn't have been but it was an adventure. Being the silly SOB I am I sold it years later and have since replaced it with the modern versions and then some but those days and memories are priceless...

Morton Co.
02-21-12, 20:17
September 1991. Wedding present to myself. Colt H-bar A2 with large hinge pin. Colt had tiptoed back into the civilian AR sales after they initially suspended sales due to the Stockton slaughter (1989 I think). Didn't know if they would voluntarily suspend sales again so I bought it. $925.00 even back then from our local gun shop. Still have that Colt along with with the woman I married back then. Guard both religiously.....

After that they seemed to multiply. Now safe is full of AR's and mags, need bigger safe.....

CMW
02-22-12, 12:41
Was shooting my dads ARs since I was 5 or 6. He went to Gunsite when I was 11 or 12 and then again at 13. That was back in early 90 and or 91. He ran me through the drills back then and taught me all I really know as far as fundamentals.

I would say the entire success I have had with the M4 and 1911 and pistol technique comes from these formative years. After moving to Montana, we were able to dump lead on our own property. By the time I tried out for SWAT, they asked me what branch of the military I learned to shoot in.

^^^^ TacMedic's dad was my first instructor as well. I remember when he went to Gunsite and came back with all sorts of stories and new drills, etc. As an 11-year old in 1991, Gunsite sounded like the coolest place on the planet.

This is the 14 or 15 year-old version of me shooting his AR for the first time, up in Montana. TacMedic gets the photo credit!
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-6WEMkHZL1s4/T0U1sTB1QYI/AAAAAAAAB8Q/MKg-cKFP9MQ/w1238-h432-k/CMW_AR.jpg

az doug
02-22-12, 13:22
1973 at Aberdeen Playground when I attended the Small Arms Repair course. ETA: It was really in basic training that same year. I was thinking about repairing them when I responded.