PDA

View Full Version : Momentary switch vs. On/Off

Buckshot Barry
02-17-12, 15:48
What's the best mode to use a weapons light in if you hear a noise at night at home? On/Off switch or momentary switch? This would be a TLR1 mounted on a M4.

sammage
02-17-12, 16:00
Momentary allows for better light discipline.

Chowser
02-17-12, 22:54
Momentary allows for better light discipline.

That is very true.

but for me, whether on the rifle, or pistol, i just turn the light on and leave it on. finger is ready to drop down to pull trigger. no worries about the light.

we've searched many a building/house at night and it's always easier to leave the light on and use our off hand to do other things like open doors. the bad guy knows you're coming already.

my old mp5 had a pressure switch for the light. i never used it when doing room clearings. retired it for an m4 which has a light with pressure switch, i switched mine out to just on or off.

i hated this switch
http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/3511/dsc00024jx6.jpg

i didn't like this switch that much either, i got rid of the switch and the foreward grip.
http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/8505/dsc00020vb3.jpg

for you, it depends on how you train. train with your light and that is how you will use it when things go bump in the night.

Endur
02-18-12, 00:00
Home defense I would say momentary as if the house is dark you can use it to temporary blind your attacker. But for tactical use constant would be better for me atleast like the previous poster said the bad guys are generally going to know you are there but not always that and it is easier to use your support hand for various things like placing wolf tales and whatnot. Also like he stated use it how you train and what works best for you. We used ir lenses for mout ops though but that is a whole other discussion.

misanthropist
02-19-12, 20:05
Personally I would not be inclined to use anything other than momentary on.

I do not want to give away my position, and in the dark, I can't think of anything more obvious than sticking 150 candles on the front of your bang rod.

I have no experience with actually shooting people in low light. I do have low-light training with some big names...the advice I have received has been to use momentary on in a flash-move-shoot pattern when possible.

That would be my preference largely because I have a severe lead allergy and if I get shot there is a good chance I would require medical attention.

sammage
02-19-12, 21:16
Personally I would not be inclined to use anything other than momentary on.

I do not want to give away my position, and in the dark, I can't think of anything more obvious than sticking 150 candles on the front of your bang rod.

I have no experience with actually shooting people in low light. I do have low-light training with some big names...the advice I have received has been to use momentary on in a flash-move-shoot pattern when possible.

That would be my preference largely because I have a severe lead allergy and if I get shot there is a good chance I would require medical attention.
Suffering the same allergy myself, I too do not enjoy making myself an easy target. Think of it like this...it's a lot easier to see someone with a flashlight on before they see you.

Jim D
02-20-12, 13:11
"Lights draw fire, lights draw vision" - SouthNarc

http://i720.photobucket.com/albums/ww204/synergy303/AMIS/100_0111.jpg

Keep them off WHENEVER possible.