PDA

View Full Version : Just got boned by fake Troy!

Irishman
02-17-12, 16:24
Pretty sure I just got screwed over. Bought a used Troy folding front sight on egay, showed up today, does not lock in upright, post wobbles, fake shit! waiting for response from seller...100% feed back too. bastards

Javelin
02-17-12, 16:27
Damn! All the fakes out there are getting to the point of ridiculousness. Noveske stuff that sells on Ebay people are putting on their real guns (like the KXM flashhider) and it was never intended to be on a real firearm but that Airsoft crap (not even made by Noveske but licensed by another company to use for airsoft).

Though they usually don't tell you this and just sell it to you like it is legit and you use it and realize it is just airdummy equipment. :mad:

StopPolloition
02-17-12, 16:29
Got any pictures of the fake? I've seen a lot of airsoft stuff recently on eBay that uses photos of the real stuff but only has a tiny disclaimer in the description to say that it is an airsoft version. Kind of misleading, but did you read the entire product description? I make sure to read super thoroughly, and I haven't gotten any fakes. So far, the worst that has happened was I got an authentic, but defective VTAC LPSM. The manufacturer replaced the item under warranty.

darbn
02-17-12, 16:31
That sucks! Send it back.

Scoby
02-17-12, 16:55
Yep......I've seen them on ebay. Buyer beware.

Irishman
02-17-12, 16:56
Got any pictures of the fake? I've seen a lot of airsoft stuff recently on eBay that uses photos of the real stuff but only has a tiny disclaimer in the description to say that it is an airsoft version. Kind of misleading, but did you read the entire product description? I make sure to read super thoroughly, and I haven't gotten any fakes. So far, the worst that has happened was I got an authentic, but defective VTAC LPSM. The manufacturer replaced the item under warranty.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150757034088?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_500wt_1156

Freedoooom
02-17-12, 16:58
Whats the gun rules on eBay? Is it full on operating parts are banned and accessories like the rails are allowed, cause I could of sworn eBay didn't allow gun stuff.

MSteele
02-17-12, 17:05
There are a few known retailers that sell on ebay like Rainier but otherwise then that I would stay away. If I buy anything from ebay it's usually from a shop that's an authorized dealer and has a return policy. If you call Troy they will tell you if it's a fake or real sight. I purchased a Tango Down QD VFG and I would have sworn it was fake but after calling TD it ended up being real. It was overrun from a contract.

keller
02-17-12, 17:47
Bastards. I got burned on an mp5 surefire forend. Emailed seller who knew it was fake even though he advertised it as a surefire forend. He promptly ignored my requests for a refund and gunbroker refused to do anything.

djmorris
02-17-12, 17:50
That really sucks. $60 wasted on some piece of shit Airsoft toy. I just purchased some accessories on Ebay and they were legit. I got my Knights Armament VG for like $15 compared to the $70 retail price on it. I guess you can never be too careful though; hope you get it worked out.

fallenromeo
02-17-12, 17:55
It is too bad that reputable manufacturers are licensing their designs to airsoft companies and stuff like this is happening. Same thing happened to me on Amazon with a Surefire VFG/FL. Pic was of an authentic SF, description said SF, reviews said SF, etc. Absolutely no mention of it being a fake. When I got it, it was obviously a fake. I contacted the seller and they refused to return it. I had to go through Amazon to get my money back. Luckily, Amazon is good about their customer service.

Heidevolk
02-17-12, 18:03
If you payed with Paypal, make sure to file a complaint and claim Item Not As Represented (or whatever it is called). Paypal usually sides with the Buyer and you will be able to protect yourself from the unethical seller.

djmorris
02-17-12, 18:09
It is too bad that reputable manufacturers are licensing their designs to airsoft companies and stuff like this is happening. Same thing happened to me on Amazon with a Surefire VFG/FL. Pic was of an authentic SF, description said SF, reviews said SF, etc. Absolutely no mention of it being a fake. When I got it, it was obviously a fake. I contacted the seller and they refused to return it. I had to go through Amazon to get my money back. Luckily, Amazon is good about their customer service.

I didn't think they actually were licensing their name to the companies in most cases? If I recall, some companies have tried to sue but it backfired on em.. heck, I'm probably wrong but why would all these firearm manufacturers associate themselves with cheap Chinese airsoft crap?

caden08
02-17-12, 18:16
Dang Chinese!

drrufo
02-17-12, 18:19
I got two Magpul AFGs for 70 bucks. Turns out they were marked PTS, however the seller didn't think to mention that in the auction. Damn PRC ripoffs.

TedG
02-17-12, 18:20
If you payed with Paypal, make sure to file a complaint and claim Item Not As Represented (or whatever it is called). Paypal usually sides with the Buyer and you will be able to protect yourself from the unethical seller.

This.

polymorpheous
02-17-12, 18:23
Sorry you got burned, but the lettering on those sights are different than the real Troys.

Just buy stuff from SKD, Bravo Company, DSG Arms, and G&R Tactical and never worry again.

Quiet-Matt
02-17-12, 18:56
The screw head is different than any Troy I have seen. The one in the e-bay listing looks to have a pan head type screw thats recessed, while real Troy sights have a flat flush mounted head. Sorry you got hosed, good luck getting that resolved.

Skang
02-17-12, 19:07
The screw head is different than any Troy I have seen. The one in the e-bay listing looks to have a pan head type screw thats recessed, while real Troy sights have a flat flush mounted head.

Only if OP looked closely.

pira114
02-17-12, 19:14
This why I refuse to use auction sites. I've been burned before. I only buy new and from a reputable site. Which means sometimes I have to wait to save the cash, but the peace of mind is worth it to me. The return/customer service is worth the extra dough to me.

Don't let this go, I've heard paypal and ebay are fairly decent at resolving these types of issues.

ache_d
02-17-12, 19:31
Other than the obvious $$ reasons I'm not sure why you would sell the right to your hard earned name to the airsoft industry, or any other for that matter. (I'm sure some are complete knock off's just responding to the comment about Noveske) But, I'm not making the calls at these companies either so who knows. Its like those trashy "swat" smith and wesson knives, or Jeep strollers? :confused:I'm sorry that happened OP, get 'er straightened out.

StopPolloition
02-17-12, 20:11
If they didn't license airsoft versions of their product, more people would buy the unauthorized copies. The licensed copies are at least marked as "for airsoft use only" or PTS line or whatever. Thus, by licensing, they can impede the proliferation of unlicensed products that are more readily confused with the real product.

Suwannee Tim
02-17-12, 20:58
If you used a credit card you have recourse. If you are buying from a retailer or ebay power seller and the price sounds too good to be true, maybe it is.

The_War_Wagon
02-17-12, 21:11
Mistake #1 - gun gear on fleabay. :o

Yeah, some really GOOD bargains MIGHT pass me by, just like some winning lottery tickets at the local Stop 'n' Rob have missed me purchasing them. I can't regret what I didn't buy, though.

I'll stick to getting my REGULAR 'discount' from G&R Tactical, SKD, or Brownells - at least I KNOW their gear WORKS when I open the box, OR they'll MAKE it right for me! https://www.m4carbine.net/images/icons/icon14.gif

benw315
02-17-12, 21:30
For Christmas in 2010, I bought my girlfriend an iPod ?gen5? off ebay. They were discontinued but the newer version wasn't as nice for what I wanted for her so the only places I could find them were ebayish sites. I found a seller who swore the ones he was selling were authentic yada yada yada and had like 2000+ positive ratings. Fake ipod, ebay didn't do anything for me, so I went straight to the credit card company. They promptly took off the charge and a couple weeks later I got letters from ebay and paypal. They were pissed I didn't come straight to them, but why mess around? I DID give ebay a chance. If all else fails, hope your credit card company rocks.

loganp0916
02-17-12, 22:14
This is why I don't use eBay. The farthest out I go is amazon and the EE here. I have never tried Craigslist so I dont know if that's any good or not.

oef24
02-18-12, 00:07
I have been buying on ebay for over 12 years and I have had very good results. For one thing, as a buyer on ebay, you should be well protected. I purchased an item that was not as described. After a few unanswered emails though ebay's messaging system, I called their 800 number. The gentleman on the phone looked at the unanswered emails and immediately sent me a refund including shipping through PayPal. He told me to do whatever I wanted with the item and that I didn't have to return it. You should go through that process so you do not take a loss.
There are plenty of losers on ebay but if you play by the rules, read the description in detail, inspect the pictures and ask questions first, you should be good to go. If not, ebay should take care of it fast.
I surely hope you at least get your money back.

O

HKUSP.40
02-18-12, 00:27
That sucks, hope you get it figured out!

For future reference...

You can see in the two photos, 2 distinct differences:

Real Sight:
http://store.troyind.com/v/vspfiles/photos/options/SSIG-FBS-FHBT-00-30.jpg

Fake Sight:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-oqVqcNDPEz8/Tz9D8YVKhUI/AAAAAAAAArY/Cq7Sn6okl-g/s498/FakeTroy.jpg

You can see on the fake sight, there is more spacing between the words "Folding Battle Sight" and there is a larger space between "P/N" and "1614001-5" Also, as it's already been mentioned, the screw is recessed on the fake one vs. flush on the real one.

товарищ
02-18-12, 00:59
Troy is also beginning to add CAGE codes to their sights.

blackgt85
02-18-12, 03:32
I was on Ebay looking at Crimson Trace grips for my Beretta 96A1 today. Found a set of the LG-402-M's for $250. Read the description, and it said

"The LG-402M Lasergrips were specially designed for the military to stand up to all environmental conditions and abuse. They feature a hard polymer design with a more prominent rubber overmolded front activation switch that's easier to activate both with and without gloves. The new aggressive textured side-panels are also designed for maximum grip and control when wearing gloves. We gave these Lasergrips salt-baths and tested them submerged and in driving rain, and they worked flawlessly under all conditions. * Infrared version available for military customers.*A picture of the actual item will be mailed to you. You are paying for the picture only."

Really gotta know what you are looking for, not only in the pics, but also the descriptions. I can't believe that shit is legal.....

Irishman
02-18-12, 06:01
So far the seller is being cool, claims he didn't know they were fake and he has been scammed by the distributor . Says he will refund, hasn't yet though. I'll keep you all posted.

mark5pt56
02-18-12, 06:26
Some times you can compare pictures of real items towards suspect ones, if you can. With those two compared, the first thing I saw was the locking screw is recessed, the Troy's are always nearly flush, it's a different head as well. The cross pivoting bolt is flush at the housing on the Troy, gap with fake. There's always some minor difference on most of these. I know it makes it tuff on good sellers, but, it's something we have to deal with.

Turnkey11
02-18-12, 07:03
This is why I stick with the gun boards and check seller's feedback before inquiring about items.

Irishman
02-18-12, 07:06
Yeah, the crazy thing is the seller has 100% feedback on hundreds of sales. Is this a fluke or are there that many people so clueless, they don't even know they are buying shit?

PdxMotoxer
02-18-12, 07:12
So far the seller is being cool, claims he didn't know they were fake and he has been scammed by the distributor . Says he will refund, hasn't yet though. I'll keep you all posted.

If he does that would be pretty cool of him.
I seen where he said in the description it was on a S&W M&P but
never claimed it was or wasn't "air-soft". (it could have came off a M&P 15-22)

buyer beware.. make sure you ask questions like if it's "real" if it's factory blem/second/refurbished and anything else you can think of
to cover your butt should they try to fight you on the return.

jonconsiglio
02-18-12, 07:12
I was on Ebay looking at Crimson Trace grips for my Beretta 96A1 today. Found a set of the LG-402-M's for $250. Read the description, and it said

*A picture of the actual item will be mailed to you. You are paying for the picture only."

Really gotta know what you are looking for, not only in the pics, but also the descriptions. I can't believe that shit is legal.....

$250 for a picture of the grips?!

My wife is going through this now with an expensive pair of jeans that turned out to be knock-offs. If there's a way for someone to scam others, there will be someon doing it. Hell, I get at least 3 or 4 emails a week from people (that can't speak English very well) that want to wire me a few million bucks.

I was reimbursed for a Prada wallet that was fake. Also, my wife was reimbursed for a Gucci bag (diaper bag) that had stains that the seller covered up in pics. The seller kept saying she'd refund the money, but the money never came. So, eBay had my wife take pictures then had her ship the bag back on eBay's dime. Once they got the delivery confirmation, it was refunded.

Sorry this happened to you, but you'll be alright if you used PayPal. That's part of the reason eBay does not want you sending money orders or using western union and also making sure all contact is made through eBay and not via email.

Kokopelli
02-18-12, 08:41
If you used a credit card you have recourse. If you are buying from a retailer or ebay power seller and the price sounds too good to be true, maybe it is.

That's the deal VISA.. They'll take care of it.. I ran into this with Magpul products on Amazon. I don't think these guys should sell their design either. JMO.. Ron

Pointshoot
02-18-12, 11:17
I've bought from ebay with few problems, but I never buy critical type gear from there. ('Critical' being defined as something I might have to rely on under tough circumstances. I wouldn't buy any gun gear from there.) When I did experience problems with a purchased item, it was because the seller didn't know the product very well and had misidentified it. It was returned with no hassles.

shua713
02-18-12, 11:24
paypal will give you your money back if it did not say airsoft in the description, you just have to open a case.

ST911
02-18-12, 11:47
Manufacturers aren't in business to make guns or gun parts. They're in business to make money. Never forget this.

The iconic and popular brands will be cloned and copied. Licensing products meets a demand from that particular market segment (airsoft/milsim/good-as), controls some measure of clone quality and brand presentation, and makes money for the brand owner.

Some brands truly love the business they're in. For others, the widget is just incidental.

Irishman
02-18-12, 16:40
Seller refunded full amount, maybe there are some decent folks left out there. I hope he stops selling this crap though.