PDA

View Full Version : Reality and Gunfighting

mercop
02-17-12, 20:06
For several decades, the Aliens of the planet Reality had been watching earth. The inhabitants of Reality had much in common with the people of earth, but were especially fond of a place called the United States. The beings in the US seemed to have everything at their fingertips from food to water, and even though their technology was crude, they were getting better.

The problem that Reality faced was that they were very much like humans and needed water to survive, and they were running out. They discussed many places on earth where they could attack and take over water sources. This would require them to enslave the population.

After much consideration, they decided the US was the place to attack. They identified major cities known as Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Chicago, Los Angles, Houston, and Detroit. They liked the fact that the majority of the populations were close to the coasts, making them easier to control. For years, especially those in the cities, had given up what they referred to as “rights” in exchange for feeling safer by having their leaders take care of them. One of the biggest things they gave up was what they called “guns”, hand held machines that fired projectiles that could kill other people. Their Army used them to fight wars; their police used them to fight what they called crime. But most interesting was that the average person could actually have one. In that laid the problem.

The leadership of Reality realized that if they were to just whip in with flying saucers, people would panic, and many of them would be armed. So instead they decided on a plan that would be used to infiltrate the US. Thousands of aliens from Reality morphed into beings that looked and acted just like humans. They would go in small groups to form sleeper cells. Their primary goal was to study the reactions of humans and how they would likely respond to an invasion. One of the key objectives was to understand how the average gun owner trained.

The first group of three landed in a place called York PA. They quickly got an apartment and took jobs in the community and started building relationships. One of the reasons they liked York was that it was close to Harrisburg, Baltimore, Washington DC, and Philadelphia. Another was that it seemed to have a massive concentration of gun owners. The people in the area were known to carry small guns called handguns on them. It seemed that many of them also owned but did not carry around what they called shotguns and rifles.

One of the aliens known on Reality as Gavitch noticed that even though the people carried handguns almost all of the time, they were really fixated on training with the rifles. Much of the training seemed to come from their military, which worked in groups. During conversations with the other Aliens, Gavitch agreed with them that you should know how to use every tool you have. But they just could not figure out why so much more time was spent on working as a team with rifles instead of being by yourself with a pistol.

Gavitch, a communications expert, became aware of several “gun” forums. He joked that many on these forums seemed much more concerned with collecting guns than actually learning to be proficient with them. In another observation, he reported that many of the ones that seemed to be into training were actually shooting pieces of cardboard in response to a buzzer or whistle. They took much pride in something called “splits” and liked to have the holes in the target as close together as possible. This was notable since Gavitch was also studying police reports leaked to him by one of the other aliens who was able to get them while working as a dispatcher. They looked over shootings all over the country involving police. None of them started from any noise, much less a buzzer or whistle. They all seemed to start with movement. The holes were not close together on the bodies either, in spite of the training.

The crew got a subscription to every gun magazine they could find. The pages were full of everything for guns that you could imagine. Many highlighted training that again showed people standing still shooting stationary pieces of cardboard. They just shook their heads and laughed.

After making friends with gun owners in the area, all of the aliens bought a particular model of handgun called a 1911. This was on the advice of several people on the forums who said that if they wanted to learn about “gun fighting” that they needed a gun fighters gun, and the 1911 was it.

Their local friends took them to the range one Saturday. The crew was excited because they thought they would finally get some training based on what they had been reading in the police reports and about stories they had heard from regular people who had been in shootings. They figured that the reason the police had not done more realistic training was that their leaders did not understand their threats. Finally, they were going to train with armed citizens who did not have to train hundreds or thousands of people, and instead could form a small group to study what actually happened during a gun fight and use that knowledge to train realistically. Sadly, they were mistaken.

Once they got out to a farm owned by one of Gavitch’s coworkers, they put some beer cans out at about 25 yards and just started shooting. The property owner missed with all seven shots out of his 1911 and said that he needed some new sights. They got to shoot but did not learn much.

Later that night Gavitch reported the following to his command-

“The earthlings are nice; however they seem more interested in owning and carrying their weapons than practicing in such a way that will help them during a real attack. They treat the carrying of their firearm like other hobbies they seem to enjoy like golf and football. Our plan is to continue to study the reports of actual shootings, and look into something known as force on force training. Basically, it is done with bullets that will not kill you. You actually get to shoot another person as he attacks you. We can accomplish this at home. Instead of sending a mass attack right away, I propose that we come back as gang members, drug dealers, and other criminals, and kill as many police and citizens as we can one at a time by training our agents realistically.”

montanadave
02-17-12, 20:49
Isn't the advertisement section at the top of the page?

Scoby
02-17-12, 21:11
What the hell is this supposed to be?

I swear.

pilotguyo540
02-17-12, 21:20
Jeez us!!!! I think someone spiked my beer.

Honu
02-18-12, 10:16
I keep waiting for Rod Serling to tell me

You have now entered the twilight zone

Interesting that Serling was in the 11thAirborne and a Toccoa man and fought in WWII

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-18-12, 10:57
I hope you are a better firearms instructor than a sci fi writer.

ralph
02-18-12, 15:38
I keep waiting for Rod Serling to tell me

You have now entered the twilight zone

Interesting that Serling was in the 11thAirborne and a Toccoa man and fought in WWII

Really? I did'nt know that...I still watch TZ...

a0cake
02-18-12, 16:12
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svwGRJA28lY

Furthermore,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncGHiVKJh0Y

SteyrAUG
02-18-12, 16:26
Cliff Notes: Force on Force training is useful.

I appreciate your elaborate efforts to enlighten us to something most here are already aware of.

mercop
02-18-12, 17:04
Geez guys, it was my first lame attempt at anything resembling fiction- George

a0cake
02-18-12, 18:35

It happens man...you just have to understand that it was really really bad, LOL. I suggest you embrace it and laugh about it.

Eurodriver
02-18-12, 18:51
I didnt think it was that bad.

My problem was that there was no intro.

A beginning sentence of: "Hey guys, here's my little try at fiction, let me know what you think".

Nope. I thought someone was on their way up to the bell tower!!! :help:

mercop
02-18-12, 18:56
If I had feelings they would be hurt:D

SteyrAUG
02-18-12, 21:14
If I had feelings they would be hurt:D

If it makes you feel better I understood what you were "trying" to accomplish.

I've also been there, you get an idea for a grandiose theme or a stunning revelation that you honestly believe will change how everyone on your internet forum views the world and you share your gift with the masses but somewhere between conceptualization and submit topic something goes terribly astray.

:sarcastic:

LowSpeed_HighDrag
02-19-12, 00:15
If it makes you feel better I understood what you were "trying" to accomplish.

I've also been there, you get an idea for a grandiose theme or a stunning revelation that you honestly believe will change how everyone on your internet forum views the world and you share your gift with the masses but somewhere between conceptualization and submit topic something goes terribly astray.

Like the night stalking thread you posted a few weeks ago :p

I agree, we've all had threads that we worked hard on, thought were great, and then got either no response or was full of ridicule. Its the nature of the beast.

But, have no fear. Its just the internet and doesnt really matter at the end of the day ;)

SteyrAUG
02-19-12, 00:25
Like the night stalking thread you posted a few weeks ago :p

Yep, just like that. Thankfully it was originally written for my own personal bemusement. Some thoughts have been with me for years and eventually I'll get bored enough to articulate them. Sometimes people get it, sometimes they don't...other times they just don't care enough to form an opinion.

Honu
02-19-12, 01:28

the rod serling was a nice comment :)

I thought it was fun to read and understood what you were saying I just thought the twilight zone fit with aliens and all :) hahhahaha

Scoby
02-19-12, 07:39
Sorry dude. Science fiction never did anything for me. Ever.

I should have kept my mouth shut. I apologize.

uwe1
02-19-12, 10:34

When's the book coming out? Not that I'm going to buy it....:lol:

Honu
02-19-12, 13:53
just like shooting :) practice and you have to start somewhere :)

coming from a guy who cant make sentences :) heheheheh

J-Dub
02-19-12, 13:57
For several decades, the Aliens of the planet Reality had been watching earth. The inhabitants of Reality had much in common with the people of earth, but were especially fond of a place called the United States. The beings in the US seemed to have everything at their fingertips from food to water, and even though their technology was crude, they were getting better.

The problem that Reality faced was that they were very much like humans and needed water to survive, and they were running out. They discussed many places on earth where they could attack and take over water sources. This would require them to enslave the population.

After much consideration, they decided the US was the place to attack. They identified major cities known as Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Chicago, Los Angles, Houston, and Detroit. They liked the fact that the majority of the populations were close to the coasts, making them easier to control. For years, especially those in the cities, had given up what they referred to as “rights” in exchange for feeling safer by having their leaders take care of them. One of the biggest things they gave up was what they called “guns”, hand held machines that fired projectiles that could kill other people. Their Army used them to fight wars; their police used them to fight what they called crime. But most interesting was that the average person could actually have one. In that laid the problem.

The leadership of Reality realized that if they were to just whip in with flying saucers, people would panic, and many of them would be armed. So instead they decided on a plan that would be used to infiltrate the US. Thousands of aliens from Reality morphed into beings that looked and acted just like humans. They would go in small groups to form sleeper cells. Their primary goal was to study the reactions of humans and how they would likely respond to an invasion. One of the key objectives was to understand how the average gun owner trained.

The first group of three landed in a place called York PA. They quickly got an apartment and took jobs in the community and started building relationships. One of the reasons they liked York was that it was close to Harrisburg, Baltimore, Washington DC, and Philadelphia. Another was that it seemed to have a massive concentration of gun owners. The people in the area were known to carry small guns called handguns on them. It seemed that many of them also owned but did not carry around what they called shotguns and rifles.

One of the aliens known on Reality as Gavitch noticed that even though the people carried handguns almost all of the time, they were really fixated on training with the rifles. Much of the training seemed to come from their military, which worked in groups. During conversations with the other Aliens, Gavitch agreed with them that you should know how to use every tool you have. But they just could not figure out why so much more time was spent on working as a team with rifles instead of being by yourself with a pistol.

Gavitch, a communications expert, became aware of several “gun” forums. He joked that many on these forums seemed much more concerned with collecting guns than actually learning to be proficient with them. In another observation, he reported that many of the ones that seemed to be into training were actually shooting pieces of cardboard in response to a buzzer or whistle. They took much pride in something called “splits” and liked to have the holes in the target as close together as possible. This was notable since Gavitch was also studying police reports leaked to him by one of the other aliens who was able to get them while working as a dispatcher. They looked over shootings all over the country involving police. None of them started from any noise, much less a buzzer or whistle. They all seemed to start with movement. The holes were not close together on the bodies either, in spite of the training.

The crew got a subscription to every gun magazine they could find. The pages were full of everything for guns that you could imagine. Many highlighted training that again showed people standing still shooting stationary pieces of cardboard. They just shook their heads and laughed.

After making friends with gun owners in the area, all of the aliens bought a particular model of handgun called a 1911. This was on the advice of several people on the forums who said that if they wanted to learn about “gun fighting” that they needed a gun fighters gun, and the 1911 was it.

Their local friends took them to the range one Saturday. The crew was excited because they thought they would finally get some training based on what they had been reading in the police reports and about stories they had heard from regular people who had been in shootings. They figured that the reason the police had not done more realistic training was that their leaders did not understand their threats. Finally, they were going to train with armed citizens who did not have to train hundreds or thousands of people, and instead could form a small group to study what actually happened during a gun fight and use that knowledge to train realistically. Sadly, they were mistaken.

Once they got out to a farm owned by one of Gavitch’s coworkers, they put some beer cans out at about 25 yards and just started shooting. The property owner missed with all seven shots out of his 1911 and said that he needed some new sights. They got to shoot but did not learn much.

Later that night Gavitch reported the following to his command-

“The earthlings are nice; however they seem more interested in owning and carrying their weapons than practicing in such a way that will help them during a real attack. They treat the carrying of their firearm like other hobbies they seem to enjoy like golf and football. Our plan is to continue to study the reports of actual shootings, and look into something known as force on force training. Basically, it is done with bullets that will not kill you. You actually get to shoot another person as he attacks you. We can accomplish this at home. Instead of sending a mass attack right away, I propose that we come back as gang members, drug dealers, and other criminals, and kill as many police and citizens as we can one at a time by training our agents realistically.”

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r166/jwpend/bertstare-1.jpg

a0cake
02-19-12, 13:59
just like shooting :) practice and you have to start somewhere :)

coming from a guy who cant make sentences :) heheheheh

When all else fails just use Smiley Faces as punctuation marks, I guess. Seems to be working for you, haha.

CarlosDJackal
02-19-12, 17:29
Here's the bunny. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Il4Fu3i7NPk)

Axcelea
02-19-12, 17:41
I am sure that 500 years from now it will be taught in every school, for now your only safe because no one knows to burn at the steak, stone, drown, or what!

Actually I loved the part about carrying pistols and only training group rifle tactics :secret:

Redmanfms
02-19-12, 19:52
Rather than just making fun I'll offer my honest critique. Clearly you approached this as a way to use fiction to hash out your philosophy, sorta like a shitty version of Ayn Rand.

Your points seem valid, but most of them are preaching to the choir on this website.

1. Yes, people need to practice more. Many (I'd say most) gun owners practice infrequently at best.

2. True, those who are "switched on" to training seem to place inordinate priority on rifles. We're much more likely to be in an environ that the only weapon we'll have is a pistol, yet people (including trainers who, theoretically at least, should know better) still spout nonsense like, "a pistol is for fighting your way to your rifle" and "if I'm in a fight with a pistol I've already lost". I suspect those unrealistic attitudes are motivated in part by a prevailing martial orientation, this is buoyed by the fact that the "big names" in firearms training are almost exclusively from military backgrounds.

3. Force-on-force training has been around forever. The military "got the clue" decades ago and has tried to implement it in various formats, beginning with MILES. Police departments with enough cash (which is definitely not the majority) use stuff like simunitions. The simple fact is that force-on-force is terribly expensive and such training is unrealistic for most citizens. When you factor in costs of travel, lodging, time off from work, and ammunition a "good" 3-day course from a name instructor costs upwards over $1000, sometimes approaching $1500+. That's a whole lot of money for most folks, especially now. Add the expense of some version of force-on-force and your market will disappear. Besides, I'd be real surprised if you could carry insurance.

4. Yeah, lots of people treat firearms ownership as a hobby. In reality, for most people it is. The likelihood of any of us, including the LEO members, getting into a gunfight is ludicrously low. So, basically, it is a hobby that might have some practical use one day.

Dano5326
02-19-12, 20:06
wow...

I'd be afraid of insulting my backside by wiping it with that

Honu
02-19-12, 20:36
When all else fails just use Smiley Faces as punctuation marks, I guess. Seems to be working for you, haha.

yup being a island guy and working with tourists I learn to smile and let most things roll of my back :)

sboza
02-19-12, 20:38
wow...

I'd be afraid of insulting my backside by wiping it with that

Brother, you consistently capture my exact thoughts and express them in a consise and eloquent manner. :)

Ed L.
02-20-12, 18:09
I've discovered another useful bit of writing that may have even been written by our very own MerCop (or perhaps not).

It deals with weapons concealment & maintainance while operating undercover in a very permissive environment.

It is titled: "Self Defense In A Gay Bar--Is That A Gun In Your Chaps Or Are You Just REALLY, REALLY Glad To See Me?"

"Gay bars represent a unique set of challenges and opportunities for the Mercenary or Cop in terms of concealing and carrying weapons.

Leather chaps, which make it much harder to conceal a pistol along the waistline, actually provide more cover for ankle holsters than normal clothing. Apendix carry is definitely out!

On one hand the typical tight mode of dress and skimpy atire makes concealing some weapons more difficult. On the other hand the proliferation of leather vests and other clothing provides many opportunities to hide larger than normal weapons.

A black leather vest is ideal in aiding the concealment of a shoulder holster; just make sure to buy a shoulder holster and straps manufactured from black leather so it will blend in with the vest.

Other weapons that would normally stand out in everyday wear can actually serve as accessories. Wear a spiked leather glove or guantlet to the office and you risk getting stares or even terminated. However in a gay bar such accessories that double as effective weapons don't rate a second glance.

The savy Mercenary or Cop never fails to properly lubricate his firearm. However many lubricants commonly available in a gay bar, such as K-Y Jelly, can actually attract grit and other foreign substances and gum up your weapon, jeopardizing it's functionability.

Furthermore, many attendees at gay bars are not familiar with proper weapons maintenance or functioning. Some of the practices I observed were quite bizarre. I'm not sure why anyone would cover their entire hand with lubrication before applying it to a bolt carrier group of an AR.

When I complained to one bartender about my weapon not working, he offered to sell me a Viagra or amyl nitrate . . . I'm not sure if this was supposed to be used in place of the O-ring or the extractor spring insert.

In our next article we will examine self defense in a Lesbian bar, a place that gives an entirely new meaning to the term 'strapping on."

mercop
02-20-12, 18:32
I've discovered another useful bit of writing that may have even been written by our very own MerCop (or perhaps not).

It deals with weapons concealment & maintainance while operating undercover in a very permissive environment.

It is titled: "Self Defense In A Gay Bar--Is That A Gun In Your Chaps Or Are You Just REALLY, REALLY Glad To See Me?"

"Gay bars represent a unique set of challenges and opportunities for the Mercenary or Cop in terms of concealing and carrying weapons.

Leather chaps, which make it much harder to conceal a pistol along the waistline, actually provide more cover for ankle holsters than normal clothing. Apendix carry is definitely out!

On one hand the typical tight mode of dress and skimpy atire makes concealing some weapons more difficult. On the other hand the proliferation of leather vests and other clothing provides many opportunities to hide larger than normal weapons.

A black leather vest is ideal in aiding the concealment of a shoulder holster; just make sure to buy a shoulder holster and straps manufactured from black leather so it will blend in with the vest.

Other weapons that would normally stand out in everyday wear can actually serve as accessories. Wear a spiked leather glove or guantlet to the office and you risk getting stares or even terminated. However in a gay bar such accessories that double as effective weapons don't rate a second glance.

The savy Mercenary or Cop never fails to properly lubricate his firearm. However many lubricants commonly available in a gay bar, such as K-Y Jelly, can actually attract grit and other foreign substances and gum up your weapon, jeopardizing it's functionability.

Furthermore, many attendees at gay bars are not familiar with proper weapons maintenance or functioning. Some of the practices I observed were quite bizarre. I'm not sure why anyone would cover their entire hand with lubrication before applying it to a bolt carrier group of an AR.

When I complained to one bartender about my weapon not working, he offered to sell me a Viagra or amyl nitrate . . . I'm not sure if this was supposed to be used in place of the O-ring or the extractor spring insert.

In our next article we will examine self defense in a Lesbian bar, a place that gives an entirely new meaning to the term 'strapping on."

OMG, I am so going to scratch your eyes out

Ed L.
02-20-12, 23:43
OMG, I am so going to scratch your eyes out

Oh, you don't like that one?

Then how about this one:

"For several decades, the Aliens of the planet Reality had been watching earth. The inhabitants of Reality had much in common with the people of earth, but were especially fond of a place called the United States. The beings in the US seemed to have everything at their fingertips from food to water, and even though their technology was crude, they were getting better.

They realized as long as the private citizens of the United States, it's military & police posessed quality AR-15s and the M16FOWs, the aliens had no chance of successfully invading.

So they began a long campaign to erode this advantage.

First, through control of a financial entity known as a hedge fund, they started buying up lower quality AR makers to try to pump more money into them and get those lower quality ARs out there.

Next, they directed aliens to establish accounts on M4carbine.net, one of the few online bulwarks for AR quality out there. In an attempt to lower the quality of the discourse there, these aliens tried to inundate the messageboard with pointless questions and moronic claims of how their lesser brand ARs were 'just as good as' the proven brand. If you look at some of these threads, it is clear that they are out of this universe.

However, there is one thing that frightens these beings more than a crucifix repels a vampire. It's a relic was handed down by the ancient Babylonians to The One who wore a yellow visor: THE CHART."

DeltaSierra
02-21-12, 00:15
--snip--

Now, that was good...

wild_wild_wes
02-21-12, 08:19
Small Arms are the least-important implement in mechanized warfare.

mercop
02-21-12, 08:55
Some people take this much more seriously than I did, purely satire

SteyrAUG
02-21-12, 13:03
Some people take this much more seriously than I did, purely satire

In your story you assume Alien life will communicate in English which is statistically so improbable it's absurd. Also you assume a stereotypical humanoid life form as has developed on Earth which is also very unlikely. And then of course there is the fact that any life form advanced enough to engage in interstellar travel will likely be as susceptible to small arms as a T Rex is to a slingshot.

You also failed to mention the Drake Equation in your story and how it would specifically apply.

Moltke
02-21-12, 13:27

And now you have my full attention.