PDA

View Full Version : Fake LMT SOPMODs

buckjay
02-17-12, 21:51
Just a word of warning, be careful and inspect what you buy, even on these Buy and Sell forums.

I purchased a LMT Gen2 SOPMOD from a fellow on this site (it was listed in the Equipment Exchange) last week and received it yesterday. I knew right away it was a fake as I've owned and handled many of the genuine ones. However, for someone who hasn't owned one/handled one I can't imagine how they would know if it was genuine or not. The LMT logo is stamped on the underside, its got two O rings, etc.

I had read about this in the past on LMT's site but I could never find a detailed comparison between the two so I figured I would share some photos illustrating the basic differences.

http://buckjay.com/drop/sopmod_compared_1.jpg
http://buckjay.com/drop/sopmod_compared_2.jpg
http://buckjay.com/drop/sopmod_compared_3.jpg
http://buckjay.com/drop/sopmod_compared_4.jpg

For those interested, I took it up with the seller and he said he had no idea and has refunded my money.

Skang
02-18-12, 00:22
Thanks for the heads up.

I did not know.

uwe1
02-18-12, 00:25
I purchased one off the EE a few months ago.....A taupe color one. I don't even remember the M4C member I purchased it from (actually, I might). I have the guy's name, but not the member's screen name.

It has the correct rubber pad.

It has the correct nut on the lever.

The battery tube caps (orange O-rings/no serrations) and the thickness of the stock are correct. The plastic mold/flash markings at the cross section match the ones in your "real" picture.

The only inconsistent thing was that the stock body has the "Patent pending" on it and the stainless QD ring instead of the dark anodized one. The location of the "patent pending" is almost tucked underneath the lever, unlike your picture

I wonder if.....

Endur
02-18-12, 00:35
Good informative write up.:thank_you2:

buckjay
02-18-12, 00:43
I purchased one off the EE a few months ago.....A taupe color one. I don't even remember the M4C member I purchased it from (actually, I might). I have the guy's name, but not the member's screen name.

It has the correct rubber pad.

It has the correct nut on the lever.

The battery tube caps (orange O-rings/no serrations) and the thickness of the stock are correct. The plastic mold/flash markings at the cross section match the ones in your "real" picture.

The only inconsistent thing was that the stock body has the "Patent pending" on it and the stainless QD ring instead of the dark anodized one. The location of the "patent pending" is almost tucked underneath the lever, unlike your picture

I wonder if.....

Yours is fine. I've seen a few different QD cups on genuine LMTs. The Patent Pending is supposed to be tucked underneath the lever, it is on mine. If its out in the open its a sign of being fake.

Mr blasty
02-18-12, 00:47
LMT isn't the only one who makes the SOPMOD stock. Just something to keep in mind.

uwe1
02-18-12, 01:02
Yours is fine. I've seen a few different QD cups on genuine LMTs. The Patent Pending is supposed to be tucked underneath the lever, it is on mine. If its out in the open its a sign of being fake.

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't see it at first, but I just noticed that yours did have the "patent pending" marking underneath the lever and mine has it in that exact location.

You had me worried for a few minutes...

Campbell
02-18-12, 10:16
Thanks buckjay. A sticky on fakes/thieves would be great. Good pics!

outrider627
02-18-12, 11:01
LMT isn't the only one who makes the SOPMOD stock. Just something to keep in mind.

If you're referring to B5 SOPMODs, they don't look like the fake one in the OP. B5s look like LMTs, with the exception of the current shiny buttpad and B5's markings.

SomeOtherGuy
02-18-12, 11:15
If you're referring to B5 SOPMODs, they don't look like the fake one in the OP. B5s look like LMTs, with the exception of the current shiny buttpad and B5's markings.

And a slightly more square shape to the adjusting latch, and the plastic texture is very slightly different.

For now at least I doubt you will any fakes marked as B5 Systems. Whenever that starts happening then I guess B5 will know they've arrived!

keller
02-18-12, 19:41
And a slightly more square shape to the adjusting latch, and the plastic texture is very slightly different.

For now at least I doubt you will any fakes marked as B5 Systems. Whenever that starts happening then I guess B5 will know they've arrived!

Can't wait. Ha Ha. That day will make me smile and piss me off all at the same time.

jonconsiglio
02-18-12, 19:54

True, but LMT is the only one that should be stamping "LMT" on it. Just like B5 Systems is the only one that should be stamping B5 Systems on theirs.

xWRANGLERx
10-28-15, 06:36
Thanks for the heads up and the pics

Iraqgunz
10-28-15, 07:20
FYI- You're late to the party. This is over 3 years old.

Thanks for the heads up and the pics

xWRANGLERx
10-28-15, 10:33
Sorry about that just got into the market for clone builds...BTW could you tell me what a Far price for a used GEN 1 SOPMOD would go for "small defects"

Thanks

Boba Fett v2
10-28-15, 11:38
You might be able to find them at gun shows for a reasonable price. Go to the guys that keep read-deal USGI parts on the table. Expect to spend at least $100 bucks or more if searching through the EE. I just recently sold one last week and gave the guy a really good deal on the the entire stock, RE, spring and buffer assembly. Good luck.

xWRANGLERx
10-28-15, 17:41
I just found a guy selling a "LMT GEN1 SOPMOD" everything seems to be on par with The real thing down to the Orange O-rings and the caps are smooth not textured even the position detent pen looks correct. Besides the location of the SKU/ID number should I be worried? It's below the top sling slot.

MajorLonghorn
10-28-15, 23:05
Are they confirmed fakes or just different generations? More importantly, are they of lower quality?

tostado22
10-28-15, 23:28
Great info.

But in addition to this, please know what you're talking about if you're going to call someone out. Earlier this year I had a guy claiming to be Army Special Forces proceed to throwing a fit at me via email over a post I had selling an LMT stock that I had bought direct from LMT.

xWRANGLERx
10-28-15, 23:51
Unfortunately I cannot comment on the lower quality of the stock due to it being a Internet sale and I do not have a real one to compare "besides Internet photos" I personally believe it is a earlier generation LMT GEN 1 stock marked under the top sling slot i've seen similar stocks previously sold on A.R. 15 and AK-47 sites without anybody questioning the quality and manufacture of the stock and they were sold for comparable value and titled LMT SOPMOD GEN 1 stock

Example:
http://www.ak47.net/archive/topic.html?b=7&f=125&t=789166

Thanks for your help