PDA

View Full Version : Do you use your expensive knife?

knguye11
12-22-07, 19:49
Recently I purchased an expensive knife (Stirder), but it end up in the safe most of the time. My intention to purchase this knife for everyday use, but when come to cutting something hard like woods, hard plastic...; I feel hesitate to use it simple because it's and expensive knife.

Do you have an expensive knife that you push it to its limit or like me your expensive knife sitting in the safe? Let's here your story.

http://s154482980.onlinehome.us/photo/sng/images/IMG_2941.jpg
http://s154482980.onlinehome.us/photo/sng/images/IMG_2940.jpg

RGT
12-22-07, 20:21
If you're going to get any good out of your knife, or anything else for that matter, then use it as it was intended to be used and enjoy.

Just my point 0 2.

NickB
12-22-07, 21:03
If I buy a tool, I use it like a tool. That means I take care of it, but eventually I expect it to get beaten up, wear out, break, or get lost - all tools eventually need replacement. Unless something has sentimental value, is purchased as an investment, or is used exclusively for display, it's a tool. I use my expensive blades to cut brownies, carve twigs, open boxes, and ward off violent vagrants. Your Strider is built to take one heck of a beating, and I think you'll find it a lot more valuable when clipped to your pocket than sitting in your safe. Unless, of course, that would be a felony in your state, in which case you might just leave it be. :p

KintlaLake
12-23-07, 04:19
Do you have an expensive knife that you push it to its limit or like me your expensive knife sitting in the safe?

Before I buy a knife (or most anything), I ask myself, "Will I use it?" If the answer is "no," I generally won't buy it.

Exceptions would be those pointed out by NickB:

Unless something has sentimental value, is purchased as an investment, or is used exclusively for display, it's a tool.

The ones I keep safely tucked away include my Camillus Cub Scout knife, my Ulster Boy Scout knife, my grandfather's Kutmaster penknife, and an Ulster Boy Scout knife that belonged to U.S. Army Lt. Thomas Murphy, whose name appears on The Wall.

About 20 years ago, I was bitten by the blade-collecting bug, and soon I'd amassed about 150 knives, mostly folders. I noticed that I wasn't using or carrying the really trick or expensive ones -- so I sold (or gave away as gifts) most of them.

Now I'm down to about 60. :D None of them is worth more than $100, and most are worth $50 or less. My regular "carry rotation" comprises a dozen knives, but I wouldn't hesitate to subject anything I own to hard use.

Resq47
12-23-07, 05:50
I carry and use my Strider daily. My jeans and uniform pants show way more of a beating than the knife does ;)

KevinB
12-23-07, 10:36
Really depends on what you mean by expensive?

Generally I buy things for tools - and IF I dont use them I get rid of them.
I have a few exceptions - but even with them I dont dismiss using them as tools situationally dependant.

dubb-1
12-23-07, 12:07
Kevin hit it on the nose.

KintlaLake
12-23-07, 12:24
Generally I buy things for tools - and IF I dont use them I get rid of them.

Reminds me of a t-shirt I often see at vintage motorcycle meets:

Ride the damn thing or sell it to someone who will

Patrick Aherne
12-23-07, 14:20
Guns, knives, cars = tools. Would you trust a carpenter with new tools? Run 'em like you stole 'em, or turn in your man-card.

Robb Jensen
12-23-07, 14:44
Guns, knives, cars = tools. Would you trust a carpenter with new tools? Run 'em like you stole 'em, or turn in your man-card.

Exactly, you can't take them with you when you die. You should enjoy them while you're here.

KevinB
12-23-07, 15:19

Sig line material;)

Cyclic240B
12-23-07, 15:22
Yeah I use mine no matter the type/brand/cost. My best "horror story" is a lost first series/run, low serial number, Mad Dog "ATAK". I lost that fishing way out in the Gulf of Mexico. I had been cutting bait, and like a dummy, I sat it down on the rail for one sec, then add a little wave action, and plooo000PPPPP it was gone forever. :eek: :( :eek:

Harv
12-23-07, 19:21
If I'm not going to use it... I don't buy it.. pretty simple...;)

losbronces
12-23-07, 20:33
Here are the three knives in my current daily carry rotation.
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z8/losbronces/P9240001.jpg
I use them for things like cutting labels out of the back of my shirts, cutting sandwiches, cutting fruit, opening packages, and whatever. I keep all of them sharp. None of them are cheap, but they all work well and take a good edge.

maze
12-24-07, 15:20
Like my rifles, I don't buy them to sit in a safe. I want them used and worn. The strider is an excellent choice for daily use knife. I have found that when you purchase a rather expensive knife, register the warranty card with the company. If anything goes wrong. Email them and more times than not, they will replace or fix it for free. I go with tactical custom knives and use the heck out of them. I have broken a couple of buck knives in my time, but buck usually gives me no problem when I break it.

Just my opinion, but my wife buys expensive crap that sits there to collect dust. I tend to buy things that get used and abused. :D

rhino
12-24-07, 16:09
I don't have any expensive knives. If I did, I'd use them.

KintlaLake
12-24-07, 16:44
I don't have any expensive knives. If I did, I'd use them.

Clarity through brevity. I like it. :)

striped1
12-24-07, 18:48
I have been bitten by the Emerson bug and I have a few. One gets carried everyday (a mini commander) and the rest get carried once in a while.

I don't cut a lot with it as it is a fighting tool. But it like my glock is a edc piece.

Mojo58
12-24-07, 20:15
My Strider SMF gets rotated into my EDC line up and it gets used alot. No safe queens for me.

woody d
12-26-07, 13:14
ive let my more expensives go minus a few Benchmades, and dont regret it one bit

sff70
12-26-07, 22:01
I use my Striders and Emersons, a lot.

They aren't pretty anymore, but they do the jobs they were designed for, which is why I spent the extra $$$ in the first place.

toddackerman
01-01-08, 11:44
I use to have about $5,000 in Mad Dog fixed blade knives and cut nothing but "Air" with them. As the prices went up, I sold them for a nice profit.

I bought a Chris Reeves Large Sebenza around the same time, and it stayed in my display case for a few years. I though either sell it or use it. So I started using it, and it is with me 24/7.

I cut everything from tape. to cardboard to rope, to plastic, to Thin gauge wire, and use it to pull staples out of my target stands at the range.

The thing about a great quality knife like the Sebenza is that they will take the abuse, don't need sharpening nearly as much as most folks think they do, and when it is time to sharpen them, they become as sharp as the day they were born with ease.

Most quality knives also have a "Life Time" warranty just "in Case".

mattjmcd
01-01-08, 17:20
My CRK's and Lums get used, my Randall does not. If I had a Strider, I'd carry/use it.

joe138
01-01-08, 18:22
I rotate my Emerson M Wave, Strider, Micro Tech Mini Socom and AL Mar SERE 2000, depending on weather, expected activities, etc... For work I carry a MOD CQB II auto and a mini MOD auto hunter. If I buy it I feel compelled to use it.

Abraxas
01-01-08, 18:37
I have multiple high dollar knives. From Benchmades and Emerson's to a handmade Damascus that I took to Iraq twice. I rotate my blades but use all of them. Well I shouldn't say all, I have a few knives that were gifts that I don't use. But that is only because the people who gave them to me do not understand what a quality blade is and I am afraid that the blade wont survive me. The last thing anyone wants is to have an equipment failure in an emergency.

novashooter
01-04-08, 19:11
I have a Large Benchmade auto opener I wear with jeans and tac pants. I have a small Benchmade I wear with suits (The large one ripped 3 pockets and I got tired of having them sewn up).

Seriously I use the hell out of my knives. I need a spitter and I have an aluminum can----Well that can is cut in half and I dont think twice about it. I dont have enough money to buy something and not use it----Sometimes I wish I did :) :)

pearson
01-05-08, 16:46
i have one kershaw that i have with me every day and it is well loved

http://www.kershawknives.com/productdetails.php?id=80

but a knife that i would like to buy and kind of doubt it would be a every day knife (i just like the name mostly) is the benchmade infidel

http://www.bladehq.com/item--Benchmade-Infidel-Double--940

DocMinster
01-08-08, 18:28
Recently I have purchased an expensive knife (Stirder), but it end up in the safe most of the time. My intention to purchase this knife for everyday use, but when come to cutting something hard like woods, hard plastic...; I feel hesitate to use it simple because it's and expensive knife.

Do you have an expensive knife that you push it to its limit or like me your expensive knife sitting in the safe? Let's here your story.

I have (by choice) ONLY one folder a Strider Tanto SNG. I also have only one Fixed Blade Strider Model MT-10 SNIPER "Chuck Mahwhinney" that one I have on my chest rig ...They are both used often and the SNG is my EDC... Since I cannot use them after I am dead, I use both of these “tools” and since they have a lifetime warrantee I use them worry free.

If you are planning on keeping the Strider in the safe to sell for $$ in case of a "rainy day" ...Don’t use is keep it in the safe and don’t touch.

If not... pitch the other stuff and use your Strider as your EDC.

Good cutting
Doc

flanntastic
01-09-08, 11:11
i have two nice SOG knives that i use daily but i do have a Black jack with pearl grips that sits in the safe.

knguye11
01-16-08, 23:39
I understand this is a tool, but the feeling of using this knife is not the same as a $20 one.

Deadduck
01-17-08, 10:56
A friend of mine just lost his Benchmade folder while dragging a deer out of the woods. We looked for it for a while, but with no luck.
I don't have any expensive knives, but I'd use them if I had them.

Batt 57
01-25-08, 19:58
Use it? I depend on it.

hitman488
01-29-08, 12:50
Hey knguye11, pretty much for everyday knife carry, i'm using the CRKT series. They are rather enexspensive in the pocket but to me they area very durable and dependable.I recently purchased a Crawford Triumph spring assisted opener, urban camo partially serrated blade, Man this thing is razor sharp, reatail price is about $140, but I got it for $76.00. Average price for it is about $ 75-$105 range. It's my new favorite blade.;)

heineken42069
01-30-08, 21:43
my dad has a scarab with tanto blade...he has had it for 2 years, he caries it EVERY day and uses the shit out of it..he uses it like it was a 5 doller knife, he sharpens the blade once in a while when it gets dull...overall the knife looks great, functions perfect, the black on the pocket clip is worn and the moly coat on the blade has some scratches, other then that its perfect...as far as the blade, you can send em back to microtech to get them recoated, so realy the only wear is realy the pocket clip...

i just bought a combat troodon and was debating on if to carry it or not..after reading this post and thinking, ima carry it...

3 best saying in this post:

1) you cant take it with you when you die so enjoy it now.

2) if you are not going to use it sell it to someone who will.

3) if your not going to use it DONT BUY IT!

fabulous45s
01-31-08, 20:35
I use and let all my students use all my knives, lost an early Emerson CQC-7 on a night exercise only to have a student find it 7 months later.The only blade I wouldn't use was an EK bowie that I had...so I sold it.

pearson
01-31-08, 21:55
I use and let all my students use all my knives, lost an early Emerson CQC-7 on a night exercise only to have a student find it 7 months later.The only blade I wouldn't use was an EK bowie that I had...so I sold it.

I never let anyone else use my knife after some one used it to cut wire ties. I like a straight blade with no serrations so a nick in the blade will tick me off :mad: untill it is honed out. But lesson learned keep your good stuff to your self.

altav
02-01-08, 00:01
My only Strider that sits in the safe is the one I broke the tip off of trying to pry a steel door open with - all others get carried and used on a daily basis.

Lympago
02-01-08, 00:58
I don't really buy knives that are so expensive I wouldn't use them. That's more a collectors outlook and I'm not a collector whether with knives or firearms.

I have a few that I don't use for sentimental value as they were given to me from my father in heritage like a Kbar my great Uncle carried in WWII and a Garand bayonet and than some that were gifts that are more show than useful, but that's it.

Knives I buy are for use. Most of the knives I buy aren't above $200 though as I can get what I want pretty much for that amount and don't get bothered by the cost.

One of these days I'll have someone make a custom for me that I'm sure will cost me more, but I'll use it just the same as that's what it will be for. The reason though is to have a knife built that is perfectly fitted to my hands instead of any compromise and have that exact blade length, steel, shape and serrations placed exactly were I want them which is at the top edge of the blade an inch and half from the tip.

MIKE G
02-22-08, 12:24

Haji
02-23-08, 18:36
I have one relatively inexpensive EDC knife, with the rest being between $200 and $300. I have no qualms whatsoever about using them; that's what I bought 'em for. But I use 'em to cut things, not as a substitute for the right tool. The guy who owns CRKT (who's price point almost guarantees they'll get used as a prybar and screwdriver) made this comment several years ago; "A knife is both the most expensive and least effective screwdriver you will ever own."

NoBody
02-23-08, 20:09
I use my CRK Neil Roberts without concern....no point in having a knife (which is a tool and weapon) if you're not going to use it for its intended purpose.

The nice thing about Chris Reeve is that you can use the knife hard. When it gets too beaten up you can send it back and they'll sandblast, KG Gun-Kote, and re-sharpen for only $23. :D

kihnspiracy
02-25-08, 03:31
Why buy it if you are not going to use it? I have a Chris Reeves Green Beret and a Busse BATAC SE the both get regular use.

Archetype
03-09-09, 07:28
I used my Microtech Scarab as an eating utensil while enjoying prime rib Saturday night. I also use it to clean the gas pistons of my AKs, cut open cardboard boxes, and use it to work on STG-556 stocks (I work at Microtech) It has held its edge and is still as sharp as the day I got it. The blade is S30V

msap
03-09-09, 20:05
Striders are made to be used. I have a SnG tanto and a SMF.... they get used hard on/off duty. Start using it and you will never turn back.

DZL HOG
03-09-09, 21:49
My Benchmade Griptillian is my only expensive knife. And compared to some of the other highend knives you guys use, the Grip is pocket change. But was still a step up from the $10-20 knives I was used to. A camo handle with black blade isnt pretty and I bought it for work carry. Ill say I was disappointed the day after I bought it I cut a piece of 1/2" insulation board at work and it took most of the black finish(paint) off the blade. Oh well, that was over 4yrs ago, the blade is still tight as the day I bought it. Still cuts good but the edge is trashed from cutting against metal too much. I did get a lil ticked off when I lost it a couple years ago, luckily my boss found it for me.
Ive got other cheap knives that have barely been used, and they are about to fall apart. Buy a quality knife and use it, dont cheap out and put trust in something thats gonna fail.

boganz45
03-10-09, 12:12

millerlite
04-02-10, 14:30
I daily use one of two knives. My benchmade 5000sbk or a gerber 06 auto. I use them without concearn

LHS
04-02-10, 14:56
My Benchmade Stryker is my EDC knife, but I'm thinking of retiring it for sentimental reasons (it was a high school graduation present, and I'd hate to see it get lost/broken after so many years). I have a nice Roger Massey custom hunter that I use every year for field dressing deer. Works like a charm. Other than that, my only 'expensive' knife is a Greyman Darfur Defender, and that thing's no safe queen.

Now if you're buying a high-end custom knife for investment, art, or something like that, I can see putting it in a display case and never using it. But a tool is a tool.

jasonhgross
04-05-10, 12:55
I think if you make the decision to keep the Strider, I mean REALLY keep it. IE: you arent going to trade it or sell it, then you will have to use it. I imagine its sitting in the safe because you arent quite sure if you are going to keep it keep it.

Spiffums
04-05-10, 13:50
I have carried my Benchmade 710 for the last 10 years. It costed me $180 and I have been afraid I would lose it for the last 10 years. So far I haven't even misplaced it. I am sure the day will come when I lose it and I will cry.......... then look for a replacement.

My Rayban Wayfarers on the other day didn't last a summer.

mattpittinger
04-05-10, 16:21
I use them all, from the old beater Griptillian to the Mad Dog ATAK, and everything in between. They are tools, and good tools cost money.

Scottso
04-05-10, 16:48
I have knives I've spent upwards of $1200 and yes they are used, not abused, i do not abuse any knives whether inexpensive or not, right tool for right job!

Brother Rat
04-05-10, 17:03
When I worked for a wind power company, I used to use my Strider AR to help pry a locking bar into place inside the turbine, allowing me to pin and lock the hub and keep it from rotating while we worked inside the blades. I also have two Emersons; one a Commander, the other a SOCFK. Both have been romped on pretty well, and have been back to Emerson for a refurb multiple times. The SOCFK has been clipped into my waistband on several dives as well. They're meant to be used, and can take it.

Sluggo
04-09-10, 00:06
If its purpose is EDC then yes I do. If its purpose if is Self Defense then no I don't. I have a $350 Sebenza that I use, and a $40 TDI that I don't. How do ya like them apples....

Luke_Y
04-09-10, 07:14
Yes, not only use them but ABUSE them. Honestly, people often cringe :p I am not all that hesitant to employ them against metal, or use them as prying tools. Serrations can get pretty ugly, points often broken and reground... But, that's why I don’t go for the crazy expensive knives. Emerson/Benchmade is about as high as i will go, but usually it's Spyderco or the like.

Luke_Y
04-09-10, 07:19
... i do not abuse any knives whether inexpensive or not, right tool for right job!

I usually fall into the right tool group as well, and I have allot of tools. Problem is I can’t EDC a toolbox. ;) So, my EDC knives often see abuse.

Sluggo
04-09-10, 12:51
I usually fall into the right tool group as well, and I have allot of tools. Problem is I can’t EDC a toolbox. ;) So, my EDC knives often see abuse.

.....sure you can, its called a multi-tool ;)

Luke_Y
04-09-10, 13:18
I know, I need to EDC a multi-tool. My knives would love me for it. :o The ones I have are too bulky and live in cars or bags. I would still EDC a knife so I need to pick up a slim but useful multi that can ride in my pocket with all of the other crap I am always carrying...

Sluggo
04-09-10, 13:25
I know, I need to EDC a multi-tool. My knives would love me for it. :o The ones I have are too bulky and live in cars or bags. I would still EDC a knife so I need to pick up a slim but useful multi that can ride in my pocket with all of the other crap I am always carrying...

The Leatherman TI Charge is my all around favorite but if its to big for what I'm doing then the $40 Juice is a good pocket choice. For really light days then the Squirt hangs on my keys.

bkb0000
04-09-10, 13:40
the reason you spend a lot on a knife, or a gun, so SO YOU CAN beat the shit out of it and have it not break.

otherwise, why the HELL would you spend MORE on a knife that you're forced to do LESS with? totally pointless, and would be total stupidity.

$200 is not what a lot of guys call an "expensive" knife, but it's the most i'll spend on a pocket folder.

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab6/bkb0000/101_3002.jpg?t=1270838386
http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab6/bkb0000/101_3004.jpg?t=1270838038
http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab6/bkb0000/101_3008.jpg?t=1270838066

clarkston_cz
04-10-10, 16:00
I used my CRK SABLE IV for one short season some 7 years ago.
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb26/czrami/Rugers/knife2.jpg
Has been in storage until I found it a few months gao ans sent it in for
recoating.

Other than that. My Sebenza and Benchmade CZ folders have been used the most.

Now that I live in WA, and I can't legally carry the discontinued SABLE, it is for sale.

I'll not be selling my last Benchmade.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/bench21.JPG
IF i was still able to work and doing contract security again.

The CRK knives would be my choice. With a CZ pistol of course!
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb26/czrami/Rugers/SALE/755-1.jpg

dookie1481
04-10-10, 23:03
bkb you sharpen that thing right now!