PDA

View Full Version : Buis HK style front sight mounting

Gunzilla
02-18-12, 01:07
Got my first BCM upper that doesn't have the standard front sight and bought a MI folding sight and inserted a Trijicon dot post (blade).

After seeing this Troy fixed sight I came to the conclusion (maybe incorrectly) that the angled side of the sight goes towards the rear:

http://www.theoutdoorpro.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.product_details&product_id=352617&vmcchk=1&Itemid=2

If I got his wrong could someone briefly explain why it goes in 1 direct and not the other?

If all you can think of is some kind of 'flaming' remark please move along.....thank you.

ICANHITHIMMAN
02-18-12, 07:01
So I dont own a Troy sight can you tell me a little more? Are you saying the sight is thicker if turned 90 degrees on its axsis? Or that the trituim lamp is only protruding out one side of the post? If you can see the dot and you have a good zero I would think your right on the money.

Jon

wahoo95
02-18-12, 07:43
Not sure if I understand, however if I'm guessing correctly you should have the angled side to the rear since that what I do with my national match post which have an angled side to cut down on glare.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

RGoose
02-18-12, 07:54
Your question can be interpreted a couple of ways, but what I think you are asking is what direction you mount your folding front sight?

Mount it so it folds to the rear. Conventionally on FIXED sights, the sloped side is to the rear, but you've stated yours is a folder.

IF you're talking about the Trijicon front sight post itself, then zero the rifle. If you can't see the dot turn the post until you can. It won't be "perfect", but it'll most likely be good enough.

Gunzilla
02-18-12, 18:01
Ok, I'll post a pic to show you what I'm referring to:

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n8/eurowannabe/pieces/DSCN2373.jpg

Note how I have my front sight mounted, so it folds from the front upwards? Well I've been told I have it on backwards.

As stated in my OP I took my mounting ques from the Troy fixed sight and how they have theirs orientated so the angled part at the top of the sight hood is sloping upwards and away from the shooter. The Trijicon blade is a 2 piece item the swivels so it can be aligned after you find your elevation setting, I can spin the upper part of the sight to face me so it's a non-issue in my case

Outside of losing about an inch in sight radius is there some other reason to have the sight reversed so the angled side of the sight is facing the target?

One thought I had while mounting this was: If mounted opposite from the way mine is mounted there would be more of a chance of snagging the front sight on clothing or other gear when in the up position, with it as I have it snags seems less likely.

I hope I did a better job of explaining myself.

DeltaSierra
02-18-12, 18:11
From looking at the picture you posted, your sight is on backwards and needs to be turned in the opposite direction.

ICANHITHIMMAN
02-19-12, 08:25
From looking at the picture you posted, your sight is on backwards and needs to be turned in the opposite direction.

Agree its not ment to be run that way

Gunzilla
02-19-12, 08:48
Agree its not ment to be run that way

I appreciate your input but I'm still looking for 'the reason why' it's meant to go on one way and not the other. Is there some technical point I am missing?

I'd like to hear some kind of logical explanation and reasoning behind this, since the bullets will still be going in the same direction I fail to see any differences beyond what I've stated already. Enlighten me.

Megalomaniac
02-19-12, 09:22
Sight Radius? But I don't think that around an inch will matter much.
Ergonomics? Easier to push forward to flip up, than it is to reach forward and pull back to flip.

ICANHITHIMMAN
02-19-12, 09:26
I appreciate your input but I'm still looking for 'the reason why' it's meant to go on one way and not the other. Is there some technical point I am missing?

I'd like to hear some kind of logical explanation and reasoning behind this, since the bullets will still be going in the same direction I fail to see any differences beyond what I've stated already. Enlighten me.

I dont think I can give you what you want. Its just backwards ie. not the way it was designed to protect the post and draw in the eye. Sure you can run it that way its your rifle do as you wish.

wahoo95
02-19-12, 09:46
Run it however you want, but know that you have it on backwards. BUIS are designed to be mounted as far forward/rearward as possible.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk