PDA

View Full Version : SOFTT-W vs CAT, ease of application?

1911-A1
02-18-12, 10:25
I've been reading that people prefer the CAT to the SOFTT. One of the reasons stated was that the CAT was easier to apply. After watching demonstration videos of each, I am leaning towards the SOFTTW, since it has a quick attach buckle rather than the double threading/velcro the CAT requires. It seems the SOFTT buckle would be faster under stress. Does anyone have any input? I searched on the topic, but most of the threads are over a year old, and I wanted impressions about the most current design of each TQ.

I've never handled either, though. I'm doing research for my first purchase.

SOFTT-W video (http://youtu.be/hsWrjD2kAug)

CAT video (http://youtu.be/LDN03FgUhxU)

drsal
02-18-12, 18:25
Both good....personal preference the CAT.

zekus480
02-18-12, 18:37
Both work as advertised; just remember to pull all the slack out of the free running end before you turn the windlass (stick).

joe138
02-18-12, 19:17
I just had a class from Pelham Tactical located in Bloomington In.,for GSW treatment. We used both of the tourniquets. listed as well as the Swat T. I preferred the Swat T for it's simplicity, and the CAT was second. On my gear, I carry both at this point. But for it's cost and ease of use and carry, I think it is hard to beat the Swat T.

Kchen986
02-18-12, 20:35
If I remember correctly, I had a hard time applying the SOFT-T to myself with one hand, so my preference is for the CAT.

However, the CAT has it's own set of problems--first, the windlass is plastic, so I have heard reports of them breaking while trying to wrench down on a bleeding extremity. Second, the TQ is also velcro based, so again, reports of the velcro getting clogged up and failing to function absent use of the tri-glide. Finally, the velcro can get bumped loose, causing the TQ to stop functioning as it should.

On balance, in my humble opinion, the SOFT-T should be the superior TQ. The aluminum windlass, plus the method of securing the strap (a metal clamp with a screw on it, versus velcro) seems more secure than the velcro of the CAT. I have both on my kit.

YMMV.

Wicked
02-18-12, 22:38
I don't think it really matters. I have both. In most all cases, either one will be completely sufficient.

It's much more important that you have one available and know when/where/how to apply it correctly. Pick one (or buy one of each - they aren't that expensive), get proper training on it's use and then purchase an extra for training only. You're likely to be just as proficient with one as the other, so long as you've trained with it.

Fasstasheck
02-20-12, 11:34
I personally prefer the CAT since its faster to apply one handed. I prefer the SOF-T for putting on someone else's thigh for something like a femoral bleed since they are a little more durable.

The downside of the CATs being plastic is somewhat misleading. The CAT (and all tourniquets to my knowledge) are designed to be one time use. People training with their carry tourniquets weakens the windlass. Buy a blue trainer to train with and keep the black ones for carry.

Also, tape the shit out of them after they are locked in the clip and they won't come lose. That's how we're trained as 68Ws.

NinjaMedic
02-21-12, 03:35
I prefer the CAT because its free, never had an issue . . .

Shane1
02-21-12, 13:43
My old preference is the CAT for ease of use one handed primarily. I got to play with the new SOFTT-W a couple of months ago. When it comes time to get new TQ's, we will be adding a bunch to the kit, to supplant the CAT's. What I prefer on the SOFTT is being able to unhook the buckle to wrap it around a larger extremity, like a thigh. With the CAT you have to either slide it over or un run the nylon through the buckle, then rethread.

cslone
02-22-12, 08:27
I outfitted my entire team with SOFT-T's two years ago and they don't have any issues with them. I will say this though, the 2nd generation SOFT-T's that I saw, only had one single triangle to hook the windlass. Myself and a another Trooper friend of mine had some issues using it because the windlass never seemed to be close to the triangular "windlass catch". We tried multiple times and both had the same issue.

I'm not saying I wouldn't buy the 2nd gen SOFT-T's if I had to do it again, but I would have to have some more hands on time with it. In that regard, at this time, my first choice would be the 1st gen SOFT-T, then the CAT, then the 2nd gen SOFT-T.(just my personal opinion)

The SWAT-T is nice, I was in on the initial evaluations on it. I do carry one because they are cheap and pretty easy to use but I do think the SOFT-T and CAT are a little better for the task. You can get the SWAT-T on one handed but it takes a little creativity. I am also not a big fan of the length. It's just too much getting in the way in a stressful situation, IMO. Again, I carry one in my SWAT gear and my personal car kits, but I look at them as secondary or backup TQ's as I'm also carrying multiple SOFT-T's.

nineteenkilo
02-22-12, 09:45
I carry a CAT simply because it is what I am familiar with. It goes on with one hand very well and serves the purpose it was built for in that it can get very tight, very quickly. Good enough for me.:D

3 AE
03-30-12, 17:09
Here'a link to a study done by the U.S. Navy on a variety of tourniquets tested by active duty personnel. It gets a bit more technical than I could comprehend but the tables listing the results in various categories, whether subjective or objective, were easy to understand for a common Joe like me. Just to point out the study was put out 5 years ago. I'm sure some of the tourniquets have been improved upon based on the results of this study. I see that there is now a 3rd Gen. of SOFT-T's out that addresses some of the shortcomings that came out in this testing. The CAT did very well along with the surprise results of the tension type TK-3s and TK-4s. Hope this doesn't put you to sleep! LOL http://www.gohandh.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/TQKREPT2007.pdf

sgtjosh
03-30-12, 17:29
I prefer the CAT...pre load it through the buckles when you store it. I believe the current offerings no longer use a plastic windlass. I was issued a SWAT TQ and can not find any positive reviews of it. One MD writing an article stated something to the effect that it was junk and did not work reliably.

tacti-cool
04-07-12, 23:42
CAT is the way to go.
There is a reason its the only Tourniquet that SOF Personnel use.
You can easily use it on your self if you ever(god forbid) have to.
Some CAT's have a place to write the time on it which is rather important to some people. I would guestimate the time its on.

---Nationally certified EMT-1
Alaska certified EMT-2 (expanded scope) (similar to I/99)
CLS
TCCC

tampam4
04-10-12, 10:41
In my experience with both, I personally must go with the SOF-T, and here is why:

My unit's SOP is to carry a TQ attached to the left shoulder of your plate carrier. After extended periods of time in direct sunlight, the plastic windlass can obviously become brittle and snap easier when you apply a large amount of force to it (such as actually applying it on someone) I've seen 4 CAT TQ's windlasses snap when being applied in the past 5 months. Granted, the breakage cannot be blamed on brittling in sunlight, they could have been mishandled, cracked from being beat up, chemicals spilled on them or a lot of other reasons why they failed.

The velcro loses it grip after repeated exposure to wetness obviously. A big reason why you should always go through both slits on the buckle when you are able to. You can mitigate this somewhat by keeping the velcro clean.

As for the SOF-T, I like the fact that it's metal and webbing, that's it. ( although I don't recall if the retaining rings for the windlass are plastic or not...) In timed drills under perfect conditions there was little to no time difference between a CAT and a SOF-T, applying to yourself or someone else.

Tact.medic
04-11-12, 13:23
I have used the CAT and it works great, I never used the SOFTT-W, but after looking at the video I'd like to go and try one out. I like the fact that they can be connected for those big guys with heavy duty kit (like a MOPP suit).

I'm gonna walk over to my supply and see if they have some ;)

ST911
04-11-12, 17:04
I go back and forth between the SOF-T and the CAT, and have had good luck with each in CONUS pre-hospital EMS. Students in training seem to prefer the CAT however for its simplicity, and echo that after use as well.

mkmckinley
04-14-12, 23:04
Both work but the SOFF-T is a little better if you have to go apeshit on a thigh. They're also a little heavier. For an IFAK that you're going to be hiking around with or otherwise using on the move I'd take two CAT tourniquets for about the same weight as a single SOFF-T. Be sure to get the newer ones with red on the pull tab and a white securing band. For a car bag or range bag first aid kit I'd use two SOFF-T ideally, but there's nothing wrong with CAT tourniquets for both.

Esquire
05-29-12, 21:39
This has been a great read, I have actually been debating the very same recently and ended up purchasing both TQs to help facilitate me forming my own opinion hands on. I am currently leaning towards the SOF-T for the fact that I like the method of retention with the rings better than I do the velcro of the CAT.

trinydex
08-28-12, 23:40
i tried both recently.

i was instructed that the soft-t-w is better for legs. this proved true when i tested it. the wider straps, beefy windlass, and more forgiving single d ring windlass lock in a better position allowed for easier application.

the cat was very good on arms, but the rat was better.

when using the cat on a larger limb, when winding down the windlass the strap would cinch into the area where the windlass resides and cause the windlass to angle on every turn, one turn away from the locking c ring, next turn toward the locking c ring. this could totally be a lack of experience issue, but i didn't have the same problem with the soft-t-w.

trinydex
08-28-12, 23:45
If I remember correctly, I had a hard time applying the SOFT-T to myself with one hand, so my preference is for the CAT.

However, the CAT has it's own set of problems--first, the windlass is plastic, so I have heard reports of them breaking while trying to wrench down on a bleeding extremity. Second, the TQ is also velcro based, so again, reports of the velcro getting clogged up and failing to function absent use of the tri-glide. Finally, the velcro can get bumped loose, causing the TQ to stop functioning as it should.

On balance, in my humble opinion, the SOFT-T should be the superior TQ. The aluminum windlass, plus the method of securing the strap (a metal clamp with a screw on it, versus velcro) seems more secure than the velcro of the CAT. I have both on my kit.

YMMV.

the soft-t-w does not have the locking screw. that's the soft-t.

also i was told that the locking knob on the soft-t wasn't super effective and worse yet, most of the time responders forget to tighten the knob... it's quite a bit of muscle and procedural memory required to knob something down after you did everything else up to that point :\

MedicPatriot
08-30-12, 10:35
Well I use both, but I prefer the SOF.

They both pretty much work the same way, except the SOF is made of metal parts and the CAT is made of strong plastic. The SOF goes into a metal clip and the CAT slips into a plastic catching device. Same operation basically. One thing I like about the SOF style is that it is metal and I am not afraid to re-use it if I want to practice and see how it works.

My BOK has a SOF in it, and my CLS bag has a CAT in it. It is only because I got some CAT ones very cheap or for free, but I would not hesistate to use one.

I also would like to say that I don't think it's hard to transition from one to another. You operate them pretty much the same way. Always keep them loose enough to fit over your entire thigh without loosening.

airwayguru
09-02-12, 02:34
I have trained with both and carry both. What I have found the only real difference in the SOF and CAT is the locking system. As for the application they are pretty much the same to me.

I carry the CAT in my smaller kits and the SOF in my larger kits.

BruceLeroy
09-28-12, 19:16
I have used the CAT A LOT and love it. It is very rugged and easy enough for Soldiers to use. Plus like someone else said they are free.

HES
11-06-12, 11:54
This weekend I had the opportunity to use the Cav Arms SLICK, SOFTT-W, SOFTT-T, and CAT. All of them had their plusses and minuses. The key is to try them out and see what works best for you. The Cav Arms will store in the smallest size but to me felt the most fragile and hardest to secure plus I was not happy with its width. I wasn't a fan of the -T with its screw. The -W was good, nice and wide, but the buckle can be a bit hard to manipulate on yourself. The CAT was my favorite, but the windlass is plastic and a it has a lot of velcro that can get clogged.

So try them all and see what works best for you.

Voodoo_Man
11-06-12, 12:03
I have been meaning to get the SWAT-T, but have not gotten around to it. I carry the CAT-T and have used it on several occasions in the field.

I can see why the SWAT-T will work easier, because of clothing and other issues, in my opinion both will work well and both are always good to have.

In my experience the biggest issue is not the tourniquet, its the person you are using it on. Often times you need to hold that person down in order to put the tourniquet on them, its a pain.

HelmandHunter
11-23-12, 19:47
I keep the CAT in my personal IFAK (Right Side) because that's what most of the guys know how to use. I dont want some boot learning how to use something new when im dumping blood out of my femoral.

I roll out with 4 SOFFT W's in my gunshot kit (Left side) that I use to treat others, I really dig the T-W's.

I had the old SoffT's with the thumbscrew and the way I was taught... Loop the end an inch or so through the clamp (pre-staged) and screw the screw all the way down until tight, then reverse two full revolutions with the hand. That will allow enough surface to grab under stress and you can still easily put it tight. That way afterwards its just two flicks of the wrist to get tension with the screw, then start rolling the winlass.

dseduce
12-19-12, 16:04
I have carried and used both, the SOFT-T is far superior strength wise and IMO alot easier to apply.

Todd00000
12-20-12, 08:33
I don't think it really matters. I have both. In most all cases, either one will be completely sufficient.

It's much more important that you have one available and know when/where/how to apply it correctly. Pick one (or buy one of each - they aren't that expensive), get proper training on it's use and then purchase an extra for training only. You're likely to be just as proficient with one as the other, so long as you've trained with it.

I agree, I've used both in the 'Stan, just practice with what ever you buy.

Flyinlow
12-21-12, 20:35
I carry two of the SOF with the lock screw on my plate carrier. I like them. Get some training, and practice.

starlight_cdn
12-26-12, 11:31
Both the CAT and SOF-TW are approved by the CoTCCC and CCCWG. It is important to select a TQ based on accredited testing bodies. So you are good to go!

Really when it comes to rapid compression and occlusion of vessels, either would be sufficient. I have used both in training and in operations. And, I have been satisfied with the performance.

Simple reality, your level of familiarity with a specific piece of equipment lends fluid and problem free application. Both the SOF-TW and the CAT are excellent TQs. After you decide on which one you are going to carry: buy three.

1. Primary TQ- carried center of mass in a dedicated TQ pouch. This protects it from the environment and readily available at all times.

2. Secondary TQ- in your IFAK, FAK, BOK or whatever you call it. This is for application should the first TQ not adequately control exsanguination. It is applied proximal to the injury and first TQ.

3. The final TQ is your training TQ. Buy it in a different color or mark it as your training TQ. Perfect Practice makes Perfect.

Mak8080
12-29-12, 11:39
My preference is the CAT. Easy one handed operation. Lots of people are familiar with it. I adjust the buckles beforehand as well.

Some cons are that it's plastic. I've seen some broken windlass's before. Velcro can get all dirtied up.

Whatever you do use, practice, practice, practice.

DevilDoc1138
01-03-13, 23:23
I have used both and I prefer the CAT just because its what I'm used to. Its incredibly easy to use one or two handed and its not that often that the plastic has an impact. Try them both and pick which ever one you are most comfortable with.

VMI-MO
01-10-13, 15:13
I wore CATs on me during deployments and never had any get sunbaked. We even rode with medbags on the back of our vics with CATs strapped to the outside. They were normally covered in mud, sand and exposed to the weather. Never any issues.

The CAT is by far the easiest to apply to yourself when you are down a limb. I have never seen, or heard a first hand source on their lack of durability. There are alot of chinese knock offs floating around so make sure yours are legit. A big issue with the CAT is its limited throw. You have a little over an inch of cinch you can get out of it. This just means you must really cinch it tight by hand before cranking on it. With leg wounds you have to feed the end through both slots, this can be problematic.

The SOFT-T is easy to apply to yourself and is built very rigid. Its problem is with the set screw. They tend to be forgotten and can cake with dirt/mud or rust making the set screw difficult to use. There is also the chance you may forget to set the screw at all making this very easy to pop off accidentally.

The SOFT-TW is my new favorite. While not as easy to apply to ones self as the CAT its got alot of throw to it and can be cinched down hard, fast. Its locking mechanism is also dead on.

The MET is hard to apply to yourself however has unlimted throw and can be quickly set on others if the limb is impinged. It is also built like a tank.

So which one is best?
Mix and match. The ones I keep on the outside of my kit (that I would use on myself) are CATs. Med bags/IFAKs get SOFT-W. Cover all the bases.

HalliganJoel
01-14-13, 23:50
I prefer the SOF-T. Use one personally and at work. It works as advertised.

Gutshot John
01-19-13, 13:12
Both good to go. I prefer the second gen soft-t if you go that route. The CAT is maybe marginally easier to use.

Don't buy TQs on ebay, buy from a reputable dealer.

JoshuaJJackson
01-19-13, 16:45
The CAT is by far the easiest to apply to yourself when you are down a limb. I have never seen, or heard a first hand source on their lack of durability. There are alot of chinese knock offs floating around so make sure yours are legit. A big issue with the CAT is its limited throw. You have a little over an inch of cinch you can get out of it. This just means you must really cinch it tight by hand before cranking on it. With leg wounds you have to feed the end through both slots, this can be problematic.

I have personally seen multiple CATs break on one of my Marines when being applied to both legs. IIRC a NATO was used as the CATs kept breaking. After that I would personally never rely on them to work.

Gutshot John
01-19-13, 17:55
I have personally seen multiple CATs break on one of my Marines when being applied to both legs. IIRC a NATO was used as the CATs kept breaking. After that I would personally never rely on them to work.

What time period was this?

This was addressed in TCCC. The only documented cases attributed this to buying subpar/Chinese knockoffs on Ebay either by families of the service men or by themselves. Alternatively, TQs are only meant to be used once, which is why they sell "practice" samples. If you buy genuine CAT TQs you should have no problem.

If you have other information/case studies, I would be genuinely interested to see them.

JoshuaJJackson
01-19-13, 18:02
What time period was this?

This was addressed in TCCC. The only documented cases attributed this to buying subpar/Chinese knockoffs on Ebay either by families of the service men or by themselves. Alternatively, TQs are only meant to be used once, which is why they sell "practice" samples. If you buy genuine CAT TQs you should have no problem.

If you have other information/case studies, I would be genuinely interested to see them.

This was 2009 all TQs were not used in practiced and all "issued" from the corpsman.

I had talked to someone from MARCORSYSCOM about this and said there was a study looking into it but hadn't heard anything come from it. Was told the issue they were having with studies is the surgeons in the end who saw the casualties had no issues because they had always seen that the CATS did their job. So in their minds they were golden, but they weren't seeing how many times it took to get them properly applied if there was issues with them breaking.

Gutshot John
01-19-13, 19:58
Let me check with my buddy, and I'll get back to you. He's more current as to what's being used by special operations.

What you say may be confirmed, though I took TCCC in 2011 and the story at that point was that after investigation, all cases turned out to be either recycled from training or bought on ebay.

The SOFT-T is a great TQ if you're worried about it.

For a size consideration, I also really like the SWAT-T, though it takes a bit more practice to use but it can be used 1-handed.

JoshuaJJackson
01-19-13, 20:14
Let me check with my buddy, and I'll get back to you. He's more current as to what's being used by special operations.

What you say may be confirmed, though I took TCCC in 2011 and the story at that point was that after investigation, all cases turned out to be either recycled from training or bought on ebay.

The SOFT-T is a great TQ if you're worried about it.

For a size consideration, I also really like the SWAT-T, though it takes a bit more practice to use but it can be used 1-handed.

That would be nice, even if just to see what has been happening out there.

I had also heard not sure of the validity of the story, but that some of the knockoffs had made it into the official supply system.

SOFT-T are pretty legit, we also had some NATOs over there as well which were pretty much bomb proof but not as easy for self application.