PDA

View Full Version : A PPQ for Paul @ BCM!

C4IGrant
02-18-12, 10:43
Our good friend Paul at BCM asked us to get him several pistols for CCW and training. We couldn't just send him a gun without giving it little love so here is the first gun we chose for him.

It is a First Edition Walther PPQ with all the trimmings!

What was done:

1. Stipple frame.
2. Polish barrel feedramp.
3. Polish internals (trigger bar, striker block, feeway tray and striker).

C4

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/G&R%20Custom%20builds/BCM_PPQ_Polish.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/G&R%20Custom%20builds/BCM_PPQ_Triggerbar.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/G&R%20Custom%20builds/BCM_PPQ_Barrel.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/G&R%20Custom%20builds/BCM_PPQ_Grip.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/G&R%20Custom%20builds/BCM_PPQ.jpg

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/G&R%20Custom%20builds/BCM_PPQ1.jpg

Nephrology
02-18-12, 10:49
What is the purpose of polishing the feedway? Do these pistols require this to ensure functionality? I have never heard of polishing a feedramp on pistols other than 1911s and BHPs, where fine tuning the feedway angle to accommodate the gun's unique characteristics was a typical part of the production process.

C4IGrant
02-18-12, 10:55
What is the purpose of polishing the feedway? Do these pistols require this to ensure functionality? I have never heard of polishing a feedramp on pistols other than 1911s and BHPs, where fine tuning the feedway angle to accommodate the gun's unique characteristics was a typical part of the production process.

Polishing the feedway is something I do to assist in reliability as this can retard the feeding of a cartride.

No, PPQ's require NONE of this to run. ;)

The only polymer gun that really needs this done (IMHO) is the PPS (because it is just a tight fitting, little gun).

C4

dwheelock
02-18-12, 12:18
Looks really nice

Saur
02-18-12, 12:47
Polishing the feedway is something I do to assist in reliability as this can retard the feeding of a cartride.

No, PPQ's require NONE of this to run. ;)

That's good to hear. A friend just picked up a PPQ, and I'm eager to give it a shot :D

The only polymer gun that really needs this done (IMHO) is the PPS (because it is just a tight fitting, little gun).

Any updates on when PPS's will be available on your website?

C4IGrant
02-18-12, 13:07
That's good to hear. A friend just picked up a PPQ, and I'm eager to give it a shot :D

Any updates on when PPS's will be available on your website?

We have the one with NS's in stock now.

C4

d90king
02-18-12, 13:17
Dayum! That looks great Grant... I can see after the 1911 class you are a polishing mo fo. Who's doing the stipling?

C4IGrant
02-18-12, 13:25
Dayum! That looks great Grant... I can see after the 1911 class you are a polishing mo fo. Who's doing the stipling?

LOL, ya you become one with sandpaper and polishing wheels after building 1911's. :D

We are doing the stippling in house.

Here is a PPS we did:

http://www.gandrtactical.com/images/archive/Grant's%20weapons/PPS.jpg

C4

ARonBoard
02-18-12, 14:53
Those PPQ's are really tempting. Although it would just fill a slot my G19 already handily fills.

DTHN2LGS
02-18-12, 14:58
Was there a rationale for Paul going with the PPQ rather than the ubiquitous G19?

Jake'sDad
02-18-12, 16:05
A smoother feed ramp is always a good thing, even in a gun that runs just fine. Stuff sticks to it less for one thing.

kmrtnsn
02-18-12, 17:50
I wish my agency authorized these as bugs.

C4IGrant
02-18-12, 18:04
Was there a rationale for Paul going with the PPQ rather than the ubiquitous G19?

Reliability. Trigger quality. Accuracy.

He generally shoots M&P's and I sold him on trying something new.

C4

SW-Shooter
02-18-12, 18:21
Reliability. Trigger quality. Accuracy.

He generally shoots M&P's and I sold him on trying something new.

C4

So you are saying the PPQ is more reliable and accurate? Not trying to be a smart ass but I just never heard this before regarding the PPQ vs. Glock 19. If you could I'm sure many of us would like one of your well done reviews. Thanks.

mrosamilia
02-18-12, 18:56
Grant, do all first editions have NS??

C4IGrant
02-18-12, 20:11
So you are saying the PPQ is more reliable and accurate? Not trying to be a smart ass but I just never heard this before regarding the PPQ vs. Glock 19. If you could I'm sure many of us would like one of your well done reviews. Thanks.

Than currently produced Glock's? Yep. Just read thread after thread of Glock's that are either not working from day one OR go down around the 3K mark.

With that said older GEN 3 17's and 19's have a long history of being one of the most reliable firearms ever made.

C4

C4IGrant
02-18-12, 20:12
Grant, do all first editions have NS??

Yes.

C4

tdoom15
02-18-12, 23:01
My PPS came from the factory with a polished feed ramp, does the PPQ not?

C4IGrant
02-19-12, 08:20
My PPS came from the factory with a polished feed ramp, does the PPQ not?

Factory polished? Somewhat, but not up to my standards.

C4

jstrange
02-19-12, 16:14
Grant,

Do you know if anyone is makingh a level 3 duty holster for the PPQ yet? Been asking around , but havent got a firm answer yet. Thanks.

Strange

jonbondave
02-19-12, 16:30
Everyone should be jumping on these extremely affordable PPQ's, this thing is spreading like wildfire on every forum. Just saying, eventually demand will exceed supply and you'll see them go up to more traditional all german manufactured gun pricing, of course this is just my opinion.... :)

gtmtnbiker98
02-19-12, 18:18
Picked my second one up today, 9mm of course. I love these things! It takes a lot to get me to buy anything other than HK.

SW-Shooter
02-19-12, 20:10
It appears to be an over priced Smith & Wesson. But I do agree the current generation of Glocks is going to impact sales in a negative manner. But $700+ for a polymer Walther with N/S's is a bit into H&K territory, which I would choose over a Walther any day. I've had a negative experience with Walther handguns before so mine is a biased opinion.

espnazi
02-19-12, 21:22
It appears to be an over priced Smith & Wesson. But I do agree the current generation of Glocks is going to impact sales in a negative manner. But $700+ for a polymer Walther with N/S's is a bit into H&K territory, which I would choose over a Walther any day. I've had a negative experience with Walther handguns before so mine is a biased opinion.

Remember this is the first edition model with NS and threaded barrel. A regular PPQ is around $520.

Arik
02-19-12, 21:29
I guess it depends on your area/gun stores. Here PPQs are about same price and sometimes slightly cheaper then M&Ps.

M&P about $550
PPQ about $510

gtmtnbiker98
02-19-12, 21:38
Well, I gave $440 for both of mine. Dealer cost. I have friends.

SeriousStudent
02-19-12, 21:54
I'd be very interested in Paul's observations on this pistol, compared with that custom M&P 9mm you did for him, with the Apex parts.

I'm also looking forward to one of the PPS kits. It baffles me why Glock will not produce a single-stack 9mm domestically.

C4IGrant
02-19-12, 22:10

I am not sure where you are getting these prices from.

PPQ's are in the price of Glock and only the First Edition series (with NS's, threaded barrels and a hard case) are in the high $600 range.

Oh, and they will shoot circles around any Glock or M&P (FYI).

C4

Long Tom Coffin
02-19-12, 22:59

PPQ's are in the price of Glock and only the First Edition series (with NS's, threaded barrels and a hard case) are in the high $600 range.

C4

I really, really like the trigger and ergonomics on the PPQ. I've seen some slide to frame jiggle issues on some of them but I don't think that will affect reliability.

Grant, do you have any opinion on the long term reliability of these guns? Has anyone gotten any decently high round counts with one of these?

rotorblade
02-19-12, 23:18
Local dealer quoted me a price of $809 plus tax for a FE. He was quoting a price from Elliot brothers. $789 from another dealer next town over. Same thing Elliot brothers. One of the big gun shops in Atlanta has a price of $599 for a standard PPQ 9mm. :sarcastic: The one shop I deal with lately has PPQ's for $529. Ok price for that area.

Jake'sDad
02-19-12, 23:34
It's nice to see another option for a 9mm service pistol. I hope the gun does well.

Biggy
02-20-12, 01:18
From checking out the PPQ section of the Walther Forum everyday for the last four months the pistol appears to be solid with no reliability, durability or accuracy issues. The trigger pull weight on my PPQ is just perfect (for me) , not to heavy and not to light.

Nephrology
02-20-12, 05:52

C4

Funny, in my last IDPA match I was the one shooting circles around the guy there with a PPQ...

As all things this is probably going to depend more on the user than on the pistol...

MAUSER202
02-20-12, 08:51
Funny, in my last IDPA match I was the one shooting circles around the guy there with a PPQ...

As all things this is probably going to depend more on the user than on the pistol...

Usually the Indian and not the arrow, but for me the PPQ makes me a better Indian:D It is easier for me to shoot accurately than the Sigs I have shot for years. I also shoot better with it than I do with a G 17.
ymmv

C4IGrant
02-20-12, 09:03
Usually the Indian and not the arrow, but for me the PPQ makes me a better Indian:D It is easier for me to shoot accurately than the Sigs I have shot for years. I also shoot better with it than I do with a G 17.
ymmv

Correct. I can hand Larry Vickers a High Point Pistol and I shoot a WC Super Grade and he will smoke my ass. ;)

C4

BravoCompanyUSA
02-20-12, 10:59
Sorry for not responding right away, but I have been on a long recovery for some medical issues.

G-man! Thank you very much!! It looks excellent as always!
I go to Grant all my CCW pistol advice (guns, gear, etc). We just got CCW permits here a few months ago in WI. Grant and I hung out at SHOT this year and he told me about one of the most under rated handguns available, the PPQ. I went over to check it out and loved it. Out of the box they are fantastic, after Grant works his magic they are absolutley phenominal. Grant, again can't thank you enought again. Can't wait to shoot it!!!! I will be proud to put this will the other side arms you have built for me.

All the best my friend,
Be safe,
Paul

C4IGrant
02-20-12, 11:21
Sorry for not responding right away, but I have been on a long recovery for some medical issues.

G-man! Thank you very much!! It looks excellent as always!
I go to Grant all my CCW pistol advice (guns, gear, etc). We just got CCW permits here a few months ago in WI. Grant and I hung out at SHOT this year and he told me about one of the most under rated handguns available, the PPQ. I went over to check it out and loved it. Out of the box they are fantastic, after Grant works his magic they are absolutley phenominal. Grant, again can't thank you enought again. Can't wait to shoot it!!!! I will be proud to put this will the other side arms you have built for me.

All the best my friend,
Be safe,
Paul

Thanks Brother and get well soon.

C4

SW-Shooter
02-20-12, 19:30

C4

FWIW I got the price on your website. $720.00 with N/S and trigger work plus whatever shipping is. $690.00 w/o trigger work. Glocks with N/S run $550.00.

tdoom15
02-20-12, 20:45
FWIW I got the price on your website. $720.00 with N/S and trigger work plus whatever shipping is. $690.00 w/o trigger work. Glocks with N/S run $550.00.

PPQ can be had with aftermarket NS for under $600. It is more expensive, but insignificantly so imo.

C4IGrant
02-20-12, 21:44

PPQ First edition with NS's, threaded barrel and hard case is $674.

GEN 4 Glock's with NS's round $600. Add a GOOD threaded barrel and you will be over $674.

The Glock will need trigger work to be anywhere near the PPQ. The PPQ needs no trigger work.

C4

TomN
02-20-12, 21:56
My PPQ was $30 less than my Gen4 19 and it has a better trigger, way better ergonomics and doesn't smack my forehead with brass. Sure parts are harder to come by and are more expensive but I think the pros outweigh the cons.

SW-Shooter
02-20-12, 22:03
Grant, I'm a stubborn old mule of a man. I may just have to try one out, one can never stop their pursuit of a better bullet slinger.

C4IGrant
02-20-12, 22:07
Grant, I'm a stubborn old mule of a man. I may just have to try one out, one can never stop their pursuit of a better bullet slinger.

I am not saying that people need to go out and sell their Glock, M&P, etc and buy one. What I am saying is that people need to look closely at this pistol before buying anything else.

C4

SW-Shooter
02-21-12, 01:45
I am not saying that people need to go out and sell their Glock, M&P, etc and buy one. What I am saying is that people need to look closely at this pistol before buying anything else.

C4

And that is how I took it. I never sell my guns (anymore), I learned my lesson from that.

HKUSP.40
02-21-12, 02:38
Awesome looking Walthers.....I absolutely LOVE my PPS 9mm. I polished the feed ramp and the thing runs like a top. Never had one single hiccup! It truly IS the single stack Glock 9/40 that has been long awaited.

Biggy
02-22-12, 01:37
Are the sights on the PPQ First Editions tall enough to be used with most suppressors ?

C4IGrant
02-22-12, 08:44
Are the sights on the PPQ First Editions tall enough to be used with most suppressors ?

I don't think so.

C4

Noodles
02-22-12, 10:26

No. Not even close on my Silencerco Osprey. That said, shooting both eyes open, it's really not difficult for me to shoot "through" the suppressor. Ymmv.

I'm not sure if anyone makes suppressor height sights for the P99 or PPQ. It's not that big a deal to me, I got the first edition mainly for the threaded barrel. After talking with S&W customer service, it was fairly apparent a threaded PPQ barrel directly from them was not likely to happen.

jonbondave
02-23-12, 01:28
No. Not even close on my Silencerco Osprey. That said, shooting both eyes open, it's really not difficult for me to shoot "through" the suppressor. Ymmv.

I'm not sure if anyone makes suppressor height sights for the P99 or PPQ. It's not that big a deal to me, I got the first edition mainly for the threaded barrel. After talking with S&W customer service, it was fairly apparent a threaded PPQ barrel directly from them was not likely to happen.

You can get one from Earl's though.

trio
02-23-12, 03:14
Reading these threads convinced me to get one as well....how easy is maintenance on these things?

I admit that one of the reasons I like Glocks so much is that I can basically do anything I need to myself.

I am an M&P armorer, so I'm covered there

Will I be able to learn to do armorer level maintenance myself?

Noodles
02-23-12, 09:55
You can get one from Earl's though.

No. I will NEVER pay just shy of dealer price for the gun for just a threaded barrel alone. Earl's is pretty much a ripoff at every corner. A Jarvis barrel will be cheaper and most likely higher quality, but in reality those are still too expensive.

Earl can keep his overpriced wares.

Iyyobr
02-23-12, 21:35
I paid about 700 for mine (c4 was out of stock @ the time) and 200 bucks don't seem too much for a factory threaded barrel, nightsights , special marked slide and swapping a 15rnd mag for a 17

Fringe
02-25-12, 16:21
Grant,

Do these have the incorrectly installed night sites I have been reading about?

C4IGrant
02-25-12, 16:52
Grant,

Do these have the incorrectly installed night sites I have been reading about?

The is really up for debate. I have never personally seen any that I would classify as bad, but then I drop my guns on gravel the first chance I get so I am poor judge of "fit and finish." :D

With that said, I will inspect any PPQ before it leaves our shop (if the customer desires).

C4

Fringe
02-25-12, 17:00
I would love to have mine inspected please.

It appears the site installer reversed the dove tail and jammed the rear sites in incorrectly so badly that S&W has included a letter addressing it and stating that they are working on replacing the sites and slides.

I agree with you on the whole marks and all from honest wear as I love a well worn looking gun in any shape or form, but this is unacceptable.

Thanks Grant.