PDA

View Full Version : gas regulators on assault rifles/battles rifles?

Esh325
02-18-12, 11:47
What are your thoughts on them? Do you believe them to be a good benefit or just more complexity that could fail? I do not have a terrible amount of experience with gas regulators rifles over then the FAL, but couldn't function be compromised by the gas plug breaking? Or the rifle would be totally non operational without it. Or sand or git could get into the workings and glue the regulator to one position? These are just assumptions though on my part.

Docwade
02-18-12, 13:30
They have problems. Most you have already listed. My xcr has a gas regulator. As long as you maintain it, it's fine. But let's say you've rushed putting it back together, or someone screwed with it without your knowledge, you fire a round, and your gas regulator takes a ride down range. Now what!?

CumbiaDude
02-18-12, 16:12
I have a Yugoslavian M59/66. It's one of only two models of SKS to have a gas regulator (more specifically, a gas cutoff for grenade launching). They're known to be unreliable, and mine was hit or miss until I put on a new (slightly longer) US made regulator.

If there aren't any moving parts, there isn't anything to go wrong. :D

Docwade
02-18-12, 16:27
Combloc guns with gas regulators are often also staked so they are not field serviceable. A lifetime of corrosive ammo tends to especially affect yugo items as almost all models were not chrome lined.

ermac
02-18-12, 18:02
I have a Yugoslavian M59/66. It's one of only two models of SKS to have a gas regulator (more specifically, a gas cutoff for grenade launching). They're known to be unreliable, and mine was hit or miss until I put on a new (slightly longer) US made regulator.

If there aren't any moving parts, there isn't anything to go wrong. :D
I'm not really a big fan of the M59/66. The first one I bought, I never could make it reliable, even replacing the gas valve. The second one I took gamble with worked fine. I still don't think very highly of them though. Definetely at the bottom list of SKS's.

kmrtnsn
02-18-12, 18:14
I used to run an AUG-P with a regulator, no problems at all. Many belt-fed machineguns also utilize an adjustable gas regulator. If a belt-fed machinegun barrel, which can get red hot during sustained firing, can have a reliable, adjustable gas regulator then a fighting rifle should have no issues with durability and reliability of function.

Docwade
02-18-12, 18:22
But the gas regulators on my beltfeds are very large and normally require a tool to adjust them. Rifles gas regulators tend to be much much smaller. The steyr had two basic settings, low and high. I never had need to adjust mine either. It only moved for disassembly and cleaning.

CumbiaDude
02-18-12, 18:27
I'm not really a big fan of the M59/66. (...)I love mine, but from before I even bought it it was always a looks thing. It just looks better with an even balance of all that metal up front and the wood in back :D

Mine has been fine since I switched it out, and aside from the inherent design flaw in the cutoff, I think they're good rifles. I could understand the argument for them not being best, though (the cutoff issues, lack of chrome lining, etc). Sorry to hear about your issues.

It's a historical piece to me. :) My very rifle could've been used in battle... maybe that's why it's worn out now. Same thing with other war pieces.

[Esh, hope you don't mind this tangent. It's still kinda related - this issue with the M59/66 is directly related to the gas regulator! :D]

Esh325
02-18-12, 18:46
I love mine, but from before I even bought it it was always a looks thing. It just looks better with an even balance of all that metal up front and the wood in back :D

Mine has been fine since I switched it out, and aside from the inherent design flaw in the cutoff, I think they're good rifles. I could understand the argument for them not being best, though (the cutoff issues, lack of chrome lining, etc). Sorry to hear about your issues.

It's a historical piece to me. :) My very rifle could've been used in battle... maybe that's why it's worn out now. Same thing with other war pieces.

[Esh, hope you don't mind this tangent. It's still kinda related - this issue with the M59/66 is directly related to the gas regulator! :D]
That's fine. I would count as them as a gas regulator.

Esh325
02-18-12, 19:00
But the gas regulators on my beltfeds are very large and normally require a tool to adjust them. Rifles gas regulators tend to be much much smaller. The steyr had two basic settings, low and high. I never had need to adjust mine either. It only moved for disassembly and cleaning.
That's certainly an improvement over the 13 different settings for the FAL. A gas regulator should never have a shut off option like the FAL imo.

jbsmwd
02-18-12, 21:34
That's certainly an improvement over the 13 different settings for the FAL. A gas regulator should never have a shut off option like the FAL imo.

That 13 different gas setting was to get gun to run, in peak form, in 91 countries from ammo sources all over the world. And as far as the shut off, are you refering to the gas plug shut off for the grenade option?(ie the plug you would remove to get to the gas pistion)

Esh325
02-19-12, 12:35
That 13 different gas setting was to get gun to run, in peak form, in 91 countries from ammo sources all over the world. And as far as the shut off, are you refering to the gas plug shut off for the grenade option?(ie the plug you would remove to get to the gas pistion)
The Belgians switched to a 2 position gas regulator later with the FNC. I suppose the 13 different positions made sense being that 7.62x51 is such varied ammo opposed to the 5.56x45. Yes, that's what I meant.

Clint
02-19-12, 14:29
Here are some general thoughts.

The best machines are those that do not NEED any manual adjustments to function properly in all situations.

Having manual adjustments brings up the problem of HOW does the user know which setting is best/good enough for the particular situation at the moment.

Any adjustment system with a movable part has more potential for something to go wrong than a fixed assembly.

A hole in block of steel is very hard to screw up in the field.

Suppressors usually change the gas cycle dramatically enough that an adjustment is virtually required to have proper function.

A two position adjustment having "normal" and "suppressed" settings is about the limit for "fool-proof" operation, as almost all users will be able to know if the suppressor is currently attached or not.

Esh325
02-19-12, 15:44
Here are some general thoughts.

The best machines are those that do not NEED any manual adjustments to function properly in all situations.

Having manual adjustments brings up the problem of HOW does the user know which setting is best/good enough for the particular situation at the moment.

Any adjustment system with a movable part has more potential for something to go wrong than a fixed assembly.

A hole in block of steel is very hard to screw up in the field.

Suppressors usually change the gas cycle dramatically enough that an adjustment is virtually required to have proper function.

A two position adjustment having "normal" and "suppressed" settings is about the limit for "fool-proof" operation, as almost all users will be able to know if the suppressor is currently attached or not.
Good post. For my needs at least, I don't have a use for an adjustable gas system.