PDA

View Full Version : Trouble finding a barrel..

Swstock
02-18-12, 14:37
Hi everyone,
Im looking for a barrel assembly that meets the following criteria and just cant. Everything I find is either threaded or 1:9.

If anyone knows of a barrel that matches this, please let me know.

16"
NON-threaded
1:7 twist
M4 feed ramps
4150 steel (id settle for 4140)

J_Dub_503
02-18-12, 15:40
I'm not sure such a thing exists...May I ask why you want an un-threaded barrel? If it's for NY compliance or something like that, why not a perm attached brake/compensator?

I would suggest finding a 18" barrel such as a Noveske, White Oak Armament, or Rainier Arms and have Adco cut a target crown onto it.

The_Hammer_Man
02-18-12, 17:43
If cost is a major factor look at Green Mountain's barrels. Buy one of the 20" 1:7 twist barrels and send it to adco as per the previous post.

Total cost is under 200 bucks.. including shipping.

DeltaSierra
02-18-12, 17:47
If cost is a major factor look at Green Mountain's barrels. Buy one of the 20" 1:7 twist barrels and send it to adco as per the previous post.

Total cost is under 200 bucks.. including shipping.

If you are going to bother with having it cut and crowned properly, you might as well use at least a decent barrel...

Swstock
02-18-12, 17:50
Thanks guys,
Cost is not the driving factor but Im looking to be between 200 and 350 max on this one.

It is for NY

I have an Adams 16" barrel for 1, and a Noveske 20" varmint for the other so far. This will be my 3rd.

kmrtnsn
02-18-12, 17:55
Why not just contact White Oak Armament and order a barrel to this spec?

Swstock
02-18-12, 18:04
Why not just contact White Oak Armament and order a barrel to this spec?

I didnt know that I could do that.

Are they a good manufacturer? I havent seen or heard anything about them until just now.....all reviews that im looking at are VERY positive.

kmrtnsn
02-18-12, 18:10

Are they a good manufacturer? I havent seen or heard anything about them until just now.....all reviews that im looking at are VERY positive.

Yes. I recommend a bit of Google-fu.

Swstock
02-18-12, 18:17
Yes. I recommend a bit of Google-fu.

Thats exactly where im finding these positive reviews. :)

rundm
02-18-12, 18:18
Yes, WOA is top notch stuff.

Swstock
02-18-12, 18:58
You guys rock.. I just emailed them.

If the price is right, Ill be making a purchase this week.

:D

GTifosi
02-18-12, 19:12
It is for NY

It's legal to have threads in NY as long as a brake or compensator is permanantly affixed to the muzzle, thus making the evil scary threads inaccessable. Blind pinning and then welding over the pin is (so far) the accepted nrm.

No flash supressors though.

I did see NIB Ruger AR the other day that had the threadless/hunting crowned barrel configuration you described right from the factory. Didn't pay attention to twist though as its a piston gun and I sorta lost interest at that point.

Swstock
02-20-12, 09:23
WOA only offers a threaded barrel and said that they arent doing any custom work.

Thats out.

dway
02-20-12, 09:49
Check with Lothar Walther. They do custom barrels.

sewvacman
02-20-12, 10:08
I bought a colt barrel from Scottryan a few years back in the same configuration. I'm sure he would know which model it was from, and he's always on the members forum selling colt take-off parts.

J_Dub_503
02-20-12, 13:33
I'm going to ask again, why don't you get a barrel with a permanently attached brake/compensator? What's the reason why you want an unthreaded/crowned barrel.

You can get a bolt gun chambered in .223 for just a pinch more than what your barrel will cost, that seems to be a more viable option.

Tzook
02-20-12, 14:55

I've had 2 WOA's and they're incredibly accurate. They'd probably serve your purposes very, very well. Long lasting too!

edit: Just saw your reply that they aren't doing any, bummer. I'd suggest a perm attached comp then.

Erik 1
02-20-12, 15:15
You might try contacting Stag and see if they offer a ban-compliant plus package 16 inch barrel (or complete upper if you'd be wiling to buy that). The plus package meets those specs and my recollection is that the ban compliant Stags I have seen in local shops have no brake affixed - just a crowned barrel.

caelumatra
02-20-12, 17:00
Mike Rock barrels

I just looked and it would seem that his site is getting redesigned so not all the links work but his barrels sure do

http://www.rockcreekbarrels.com/

You can order them from GA Precision as well but they're not cheap. I got a quote from them a while back that was $625 for a 308 barrel with the extension. Threading is an additional cost, so I'm sure you could just leave that out.

I think LMT is now using them in their MWS line for a pretty sizable additional cost

Endur
02-20-12, 17:21
Rainier, daniel defense, noveske..

Casull
02-20-12, 17:44
I'd go get a Centurion arms, but that's just because they have a really cool barrel profile, they're double chrome lined, they feature a tapered bore, and for all this they're a reasonable price.

I'm also just really wanting one myself.

Swstock
02-20-12, 19:04
Rainier, daniel defense, noveske..

Oh, no...you didnt read past the title.

Thanks for watching.

Endur
02-20-12, 22:25
Oh, no...you didnt read past the title.

Thanks for watching.

I forgot say try calling they might do custom.

kmrtnsn
02-20-12, 22:26
Strange, they quoted me a custom barrel a couple of months ago. Call WOA, explain your situation. Sometimes getting a human on the phone makes all the difference.

AKDoug
02-20-12, 23:04
D-Tech should be able to produce what you need. He's more of a predator hunting guy, but highly regarded in that field. http://www.dtechuppers.com/ar-15-custom-barrels.html

eightmillimeter
02-21-12, 12:56
Shilen would do it for you.