PDA

View Full Version : Weapons lubricant updates/info

Clay
02-18-12, 16:06
It is not my intention to start another "ultimate gun oil" thread. I just thought I'd share some new information I've gathered over the last few months regarding gun lubes, both oil and grease.

Let's start with CLP's -

1. Break-Free CLP is not U.S. military issue, and hasn't been for some time.The company has changed hands several time over the years, and is now part of Safariland. Break-Free CLP is NOT on the Qualified Products List for issue to any U.S. troops.

2. Break-Free CLP does not contain Teflon. Any Break-Free CLP you've purchased in the last few years is PTFE-free. This was confirmed by Emily Whritenour of Safariland yesterday.

3. The only CLP on the Qualified Products List commercially available for purchase is G96 Synthetic CLP. Lots of CLP/gun oils claim to be military issue, or meet MIL-L-63460D/E, but they aren't on the list. They may have designed a product to meet the spec, but have not been approved. G96 Synthetic CLP is the only military issue CLP available to civilians.

4. Martin Niner, of Pantheon Chemical, recently told me that they are going through the process of getting Mpro7 LPX approved for use by the military as a CLP, under the MIL-L-63460E spec.

5. I spoke this week with Mike Dorner, the technical service manager for Lubriplate. While Lubriplate does not market a lubricant for firearms, he did recommend the Lubrication 101 web post by Grant Cunningham as being excellent information. Grant, who is a well known gunsmith, recommends the use of Dexron ATF, as well as several Lubriplate products, such as SFL-0 grease and FMO-350AW oil. Mr. Dorner also mentioned that the 130-A and 130-AA greases were similar to the grease which was sold to the military during WWII, of which most folks are aware. One Lubriplate employee uses the Synxtreme HD-1 grease on shotguns.

My thoughts?

G96 Synthetic CLP is excellent, as is Mpro7 LPX. I've been using the LPX on a S&W 442 for a year with outstanding results. These products are guaranteed safe and effective no matter what the weapon, or environment you use it in.

Dexron automatic transmission fluid will work swell as a gun lube, but it is generally nasty, stinky, and not very safe on skin. My favorite is the Valvoline Dexron VI Synthetic ATF. It offers excellent specs, and seems to stink less than the Mobil 1 stuff. Available at Autozone.

The Lubriplate FMO-350AW that Grant says is ideal, and is making it's way around the net via Lubri-Kit.com is only good down to +10F per Lubriplate. I would not use it when the aforementioned CLP's are widely available for around the same cost, and have an unbelievably wide temp range.

For grease, the Lubriplate SFL-0 is good, but might be a bit thin for some folks. I like a regular white lithium grease like Sta-Lube, which you can get in a nice small tube, or Pennzoil 705. The fancier disc wheel bearing greases really aren't any better for guns, and they're more expensive, and I personally don't like a red grease. I try to stay away from products that have PTFE. Lubriplate 130-A and 130-AA have a very limited temp range so I would'nt use them. They're expensive and harder to find anyways.

These are just my thoughts guys, so YMMV. I just wanted to share.

Thanks,

Clay

packinaglock
02-18-12, 16:48
I use Mobil 1 full synthetic on all my guns

Nephrology
02-18-12, 17:14
I never got really that into the whole gun lube thing.

I don't own an AR-15 that probably helps. I can't remember the last time I lubed my glocks. and my 1911 just gets some breakfree-CLP on the finish as an anti-oxidative agent. Havent shot the damn thing in a year.

Clay
02-18-12, 18:22
My only real concern with using engine oil is some of the additives are not very skin friendly. It is also a mediocre rust preventative compared to the top gun oils. Nonetheless, it will work. Like Grant Cunningham suggests, ATF is a better option.

http://grantcunningham.com/lubricants101.html

GrandPooba
02-18-12, 18:35
never had a problem with Slip2000 EWL

JonInWA
02-18-12, 18:54
I prefer Mil-Comm's MC 25 Degreaser/Bore Cleaner, Mil-Comm's TW25B cream-type grease, and Weapon Shield for general lubrication. I've very satisfactorily used all three products for several years.

Best, Jon

Clay
02-18-12, 19:20
I've used Weapon Shield, and FP-10 before that, for years. George Fennell is a great guy. I used alot of TW-25B around 1997-99, and it is a good product, albeit overpriced IMHO. I think PTFE products are on the way out, as a whole, due to health concerns.

F-Trooper05
02-18-12, 19:27
Slip2000 is tits.

Under the Radar
02-18-12, 19:34
Slip2000 is tits.

I'll second that. I use the EWL and the 725 Cleaner/Degreaser almost exclusively. I still have a little of the Safariland CLP around, which I use occasionally, but will probably just throw it out one of these days.

Clay
02-18-12, 19:43
How is the Slip 2000/EWL holding up to corrosion? Anyone tried in on a blued gun carried IWB?

PLCedeno
02-18-12, 19:50
Weaponshield. Turns out, i just discovered, also works very well as a cleaner. I had run out of MPro7 cleaner (which works very well) and figured let me give it a try. Will be my CLP from now.

DocDorle
02-19-12, 08:11
Break-Free CLP does not contain Teflon. Any Break-Free CLP you've purchased in the last few years is PTFE-free. This was confirmed by Emily Whritenour of Safariland yesterday.

It says on the can of recently purchased Break Free CLP:

"Made in the USA for Safariland, LLC"

"Secret formula contains multiple ingredients including specially-treated PTFE for improved boundary film strength that reduces friction,retards wear, and stops build up of foreign matter."

sadmin
02-19-12, 08:24
Thanks for taking the time to compile this data. I'm a Slip2000 guy myself, but It's good to have options.

Clay
02-19-12, 09:49
I specifically asked the Safariland rep if Break-Free CLP contained any PTFE/Teflon. She said no. The reason I asked was I had been reading all kinds of rumors about the product on the net, and I wanted to find out first hand.

I will say that Break-Free customer service/relations has changed in the last 10 years, in my experience. I used to talk to Don Yoder, the inventor, directly. They also used to put out all kinds of test data. The formula has changed several times over the years, for the better, in order to meet revised specs, but there is no telling what Armor Holdings and now Safariland will do with it. They don't seem to have any interest in its use by the U.S. military anymore.

Break-Free CLP is good product. For many years it was the best gun care product you could use, in my opinion. I would never question anyone's use of it, especially when it can be had everywhere, for a low price.

Slater
02-19-12, 09:53
http://www.imageseek.com/m1a/M14_Preservation_Lubrication.pdf

I thought the above was an interesting read on lubrication, although it pertains more to the M14 rifle. It mentions that Lubriplate 130A was (for a time, anyway) the issued lube for the M14. Since this particular grease is stated to have a narrow temperature range, I wonder why it was issued for a military weapon that would potentially see use in everything from arctic to tropical to desert conditions?

jmoney
02-19-12, 10:17
I either use tactical springs machine gunners or froglube... Pretty much just froglube these days though

Univibe
02-19-12, 10:52
Questions:

1. If Breakfree CLP is not current military issue, then what is? Royco?

2. I'm still using up a big container of BF I bought before Safariland. It has the Nato code on the bottle. Is the new Safariland stuff inferior?

3. Should I switch to G96 when I run out of "old" CLP?

OldGreg
02-19-12, 14:28
Questions:
3. Should I switch to G96 when I run out of "old" CLP?

G96 is my favorite spray can CLP, but i use it strictly as a cleaner. I like that its mildly foamy, for lack of a better word. I lube w/ Weapon Shield afterwards.

5pins
02-19-12, 15:31
Questions:

1. If Breakfree CLP is not current military issue, then what is? Royco?

G96 CLP.

Clay
02-19-12, 19:01
There are five suppliers of CLP to the U.S. military/NATO. Four of them are large industrial lubricant companies, one of them is G96 products. G96 Synthetic CLP and Mpro7 LPX are excellent products, and I would probably use them over any gun lube I'm aware of. They've been tested more than most other products out there. The Slip 2000 line and Weaponshield CLP are also widely used and recommended.

Any Break-Free CLP you have is perfectly fine for use on your firearms. When I ran out I would buy whatever above mentioned product was locally available and/or cheapest. The Mpro7 LPX is available at most Academy stores. Another excellent lube that Academy carries is Corrosion-X. If I had any blued firearms I would be using Corrosion-X. Excellent product overall.

Slater
02-19-12, 21:13
Break-Free also makes an "LP" that is a bit thicker in viscosity than their CLP. Seems to say put longer also.

recon
02-20-12, 23:11
Weapons Shield and FP-10.

Rinspeed
02-21-12, 06:10
Weapons Shield and FP-10 here as well.