PDA

View Full Version : Best home water filtration for fluoride/pharmaceutical removal

LMT42
02-18-12, 17:10
Difficulty - prefer stand alone as opposed to inline system.

The Big Berky seems to be the cats meow, but I've seen questionable reviews and issues with mold in filters. It's hard to know how well a system works unless the filtered water has been tested for chemicals. I'm hoping someone's already done the legwork and wouldn't mind passing on their knowledge. Thanks.

Heidevolk
02-18-12, 17:59
I haven't found a good solution and ended up with the Berkey + fluoride filters.

Would definitely rather have an installed system (but not reverse osmosis - read some neg things).

Just a Jarhead
02-19-12, 06:00
The only problem I'm aware of with was with black Berkey filters manufactured between Dec 2010-May 2011. The issue was the filters separating from the base. Nothing any of us couldn't fix ourselves with food grade silcone http://www.amazon.com/Clear-Food-Grade-Silicone-Sealant/dp/B0063U2RWU but who had that in their survival supplies in anticipation of a filter failure. Might not be a bad idea to have a tube in supply. Glad the issue was caught but the problem I believe has been resolved.

If anyone bought a filter during this time or shortly prior I strongly suggest you read this http://www.berkeywater.com/Element.pdf
Contact them for replacements filters.

rkba01
02-19-12, 16:22
1. Fabric filter for larger sediments.
2. Activated carbon for larger molecules.
3. Ion- exchange for targeted smaller molecules.

Fidalgoman
02-20-12, 00:58
We have the Berkey and it seems to work well. By the way decent RO units are available at a good price in the big box stores like Home Depot if you want a house unit. Thinking of adding one.

Kevin P
02-22-12, 11:09
I prefer an inline system but is there a particular reason why you want a stand alone?

LMT42
02-22-12, 18:16
^^ Currently renting.

Kevin P
02-22-12, 20:02
Got it. There are excellent below counter or above counter units that you don't have to modify stuff for.
For instance the one I run removes all pesticides,chemicals, pharmaceuticals and a bunch of stuff. It also has uses a UV light that kills bacteria and other junk.

LonghunterCO
02-22-12, 20:21
The only problem I'm aware of with was with black Berkey filters manufactured between Dec 2010-May 2011. The issue was the filters separating from the base. Nothing any of us couldn't fix ourselves with food grade silcone http://www.amazon.com/Clear-Food-Grade-Silicone-Sealant/dp/B0063U2RWU but who had that in their survival supplies in anticipation of a filter failure. Might not be a bad idea to have a tube in supply. Glad the issue was caught but the problem I believe has been resolved.

If anyone bought a filter during this time or shortly prior I strongly suggest you read this http://www.berkeywater.com/Element.pdf
Contact them for replacements filters.

Crap. Thanks for the post I have 4 with that date code. I will do the test in the morning.

LMT42
02-22-12, 20:39
Got it. There are excellent below counter or above counter units that you don't have to modify stuff for.
For instance the one I run removes all pesticides,chemicals, pharmaceuticals and a bunch of stuff. It also has uses a UV light that kills bacteria and other junk.

What's the name of the unit you're currently using?

Kevin P
02-22-12, 21:13
I have an eSpring. A good buddy of mine,who is a builder,informed me about them when I asked his advice. I have a below the counter unit but they have an above the counter too. I like that it is compact and it does not hurt that it actually looks sleek and modern. It reminds me of Eva from Wally. Hahaha I'll shoot you a PM

Abraxas
02-22-12, 21:26
Difficulty - prefer stand alone as opposed to inline system.

The Big Berky seems to be the cats meow, but I've seen questionable reviews and issues with mold in filters. It's hard to know how well a system works unless the filtered water has been tested for chemicals. I'm hoping someone's already done the legwork and wouldn't mind passing on their knowledge. Thanks.

The only practical way to remove fluoride is RO.