PDA

View Full Version : Decision on Surefire M500 or VTAC free float.

MFWIC2
02-18-12, 17:16
Currently running a Surefire M500A on my SBR. I was considering taking it off and installing a Troy VTAC free float handguard. I have a 10.3" barrel and the VTAC comes in a 9" or 11". I think a 9" my modified FSP gas block might be visible.
Sort of on the fence on whether to leave it alone or go for the VTAC.:confused:

Or I could upgrade the Surefire M500A with a TX-4 LED.

PatrolRifleGroup
02-18-12, 20:44
I would ditch that M500 brick at the first chance. They were nice back in the day, but there are smaller and lighter setups available now. I don't believe a chopped FSB will show under a 9" rail. If it does, it will only be slightly.

I would bypass the VTAC for the newer 9" Alpha, which has a much nicer mounting setup. I have three of the TRX Battlerails and love them, but have had issues on one of them with the Heli-coils. The Alpha rail will avoid the problem all together, and is much cleaner looking. Pick your favorite light and get a mount-n-slot adapter, then call it a day.

MFWIC2
02-18-12, 22:22
Just ordered a Troy TRX 9" BattleRail. What is the difference between the Troy TRX Alpha and the TRX Extreme? Other than the way one has a barrel nut and the other uses the stock barrel nut.
Now I need to find a buyer for the barely used like new Surefire M500 with extra bulb in box.
Thanks for the info.
This rail should lighten' up my 10.3" SBR quit a bit.

MFWIC2
02-19-12, 00:02
Should I just modify my FSP instead of buying a Brownells Low Profile gas block?

TehLlama
02-19-12, 15:17
The Alpha has the built-in front sight that folds.

I'd go with the normal one (or the VTAC flavor - either or), and consider running an X300 or similar option for the light, and a simple DD 1.5 fixed front sight will finish that pretty easily.

The weight difference is huge - I still have my M500 pair sitting in the closet, the Troys are that much better.

outrider627
02-19-12, 16:19
Not all Alpha Rails have flip up front sights. So far only the 11" and 13" Alphas have built in sight models. None of the VTAC Alphas have sights right now.

OP, you mentioned you got a 9" TRX. Is that a regular TRX quadrail, TRX Extreme, or the Alpha?