PDA

View Full Version : LEO rifle plate (11x14") help

SCSU74
02-18-12, 20:29
The main thing I'm looking for is the XL 11 x 14 plate size. I am not too concerned with weight of the plates, I'll be using a separate plate carrier and only throwing it on for certain calls. I'll be wearing level IIIa soft armor underneath so an in conjunction plate would be fine as well. The main thing I am trying to protect against are 5.56 rds (m855/m193). I have only been able to find this size plate in level IV, from what I've read and heard a level III plate would probably be better as they are tested for multiple hits and most do well with even hot 5.56 loads. Anyway, thats what I'm looking for appreciate any/all help!

Heres a link to the only plates I've found that seem like they fit the bill:
http://www.bulletproofme.com/RP-Level-4-With-Vest.html

If anybody has experience with these plates or company would love to hear, thanks!

BigLarge
11-13-12, 00:08
I know this thread is months old, but it asks everything I was going to put in a new thread... so i'll bump it and see if anyone chimes in this times :D

I'm 6'0 240, and IMO, my issued 10x12 plate seems entirely to small

SCSU74
11-13-12, 01:40
I ended up getting the plates linked to above. Tim was awesome and helped a lot. I recommend measuring from your clavicle notch down 12" then 14". See where both fall and which covers you better. The 11 x 14 were a much better fit for me. Give him a call though hell answer any questions you have.

BigLarge
11-13-12, 02:34
I ended up getting the plates linked to above. Tim was awesome and helped a lot. I recommend measuring from your clavicle notch down 12" then 14". See where both fall and which covers you better. The 11 x 14 were a much better fit for me. Give him a call though hell answer any questions you have.

Did that, 14" stops about 2 inches above my belly button....

Have you located any testing for those plates? What carrier did you get?

SCSU74
11-13-12, 09:49
They are the same plates the military uses, they have a nsn/gsa # so any testing you find on level 4 military plates will be the same. The ones I got were made by BAE a major supplier to the military.

I use an hsgi woosatch carrier that I ordered from SKD. It's very well made and I haven't had any issues at all with it. It looks a lot better on me than some of the others, it's over made and looks bigger for a big guy haha.

The sizing sounds about right. You would think a 12" wouldn't be covering everything you need.

msap
11-13-12, 11:19
I think I remember reading that AMI recently came out with a level III 11x14 plate.

SCSU74
11-13-12, 11:27
If its the tac3s and you have the money I'd be all over it

usmcvet
07-31-14, 11:51
Guys any photos?