PDA

View Full Version : Krebs Custom SOCOM .308 AK

MilitaryArms
02-18-12, 21:27
The Krebs Custom SOCOM .308 AK is one amazing rifle. The accuracy of this 16" barreled rifle will challenge claims by AR guys that AK's can't hit the broad side of a barn from the inside. I think you might be surprised what this rifle can do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cRJ07Rbwxg

Questions and comments are welcome.

Wolvee
02-18-12, 21:45
I just finished watching your review and I have to agree, that krebs is nothing short of great.

mattexass
02-18-12, 21:52
The rail system clamps to the handguard retainer, correct? How is it free floated if it does that?

Krebs make me drool a bit.....

MilitaryArms
02-18-12, 21:53
People think that AK's are inherently inaccurate, but they're not. This rifle sports its factory hammer forged, chrome lined barrel. Marc just recrowned it and trued the threads for a suppressor.

It really is nothing short of amazing.

MilitaryArms
02-18-12, 21:58
The rail system clamps to the handguard retainer, correct? How is it free floated if it does that?

It's not free floated.

dwheelock
02-18-12, 22:00
That is really nice

deadlyfire
02-18-12, 22:36
It's not free floated.

The Krebs rail looks awfully high. How has it been with an optic mounted? I've seen so many people with cheek pieces and risers.

MilitaryArms
02-18-12, 23:15
The Krebs rail looks awfully high. How has it been with an optic mounted? I've seen so many people with cheek pieces and risers.

I didn't put a optic on it. I assume you're talking about a magnified optic. I will be mounting an optic to a Krebs rail next week, so I'll let you know. If it's too high, I'll use my Mako side folding stock with the cheek riser. It works great and is rock solid.

CumbiaDude
02-19-12, 01:45
I have mixed feelings about it. I like the general concept, but some of the specifics I don't like. I definitely don't like how the rear rail requires a bullet/punch/stick/whatever to even start disassembly (my Mossberg 590 is like that - I'm always having to look around for a damn punch... I'm gonna figure out a way to store a punch on the weapon just to push that stupid pin out...). I also dislike the pistol grip and "enhanced" safety, but those take 3 min to swap out, so it's not a big deal. The rear stock is all right, but a folding one would be better.

How reliable are the after market magazines? That's one of the big reasons why I haven't had much interest in a .308 Saiga. Even the original magazines aren't military quality (no metal reinforcement anywhere except the rear locking lug, if it's like the other Saiga models).

BBossman
02-19-12, 13:12
I have mixed feelings about it. I like the general concept, but some of the specifics I don't like. I definitely don't like how the rear rail requires a bullet/punch/stick/whatever to even start disassembly (my Mossberg 590 is like that - I'm always having to look around for a damn punch... I'm gonna figure out a way to store a punch on the weapon just to push that stupid pin out...). I also dislike the pistol grip and "enhanced" safety, but those take 3 min to swap out, so it's not a big deal. The rear stock is all right, but a folding one would be better.

How reliable are the after market magazines? That's one of the big reasons why I haven't had much interest in a .308 Saiga. Even the original magazines aren't military quality (no metal reinforcement anywhere except the rear locking lug, if it's like the other Saiga models).

You can always store some "bullets" in the magazine... :D

MilitaryArms
02-19-12, 13:45
You can always store some "bullets" in the magazine... :D
I've never had an issue with pins and bullets. If you don't have a bullet to push a pin out, you have much bigger problems than your rail system to worry about. :laugh:

Drummer
02-19-12, 14:10
As always, great video. I'm curious if you had a chance to weigh it?

MilitaryArms
02-19-12, 14:19
They tip the scale at a little over 9lbs.

HK51Fan
02-19-12, 14:57
how much do they sell for? It looks to me that it's a saiga .308 with a lot of aftermarket bolt on products, so how is this a custom built rifle?

CumbiaDude
02-19-12, 15:33
You can always store some "bullets" in the magazine... :DDirect me to some pointy-ended 12 gauge and I'll use that exclusively for my Mossberg! ;)

99HMC4
02-19-12, 15:37
It's called the SOCOM rifle, I can't remember Tapco being SOCOM quality. Then you add a nice Vltor mixed with mako part witch also lacks in the fit/finish/feel area. Just an odd combo of parts...

MilitaryArms
02-19-12, 15:38
how much do they sell for? It looks to me that it's a saiga .308 with a lot of aftermarket bolt on products, so how is this a custom built rifle?

I mention the price in the video, $1990. The work that's done is actually fairly extensive in terms of areas of the rifle that are touched, it's not just bolt on parts. Even the Mako rail is modified by Krebs, or so that's what he told me when I asked. I will be traveling to his shop in a couple of months to document the process a rifle such as this goes through. It should be interesting.

bones
02-21-12, 11:03
Thanks for the review-I searched on their web page for it ,it must be very new to their line of rifles.

KalashniKEV
02-21-12, 15:31
People think that AK's are inherently inaccurate, but they're not.

People accept the logic that because of the fit and feel of the parts, and the idea that the robust operating system is some kind of trade off.

When you mention a Galil and what it's capable of to the same person, they seem to forget that it's basically the same operating system.

It's really all the characteristics of the round and the quality of the ammo.

It really is nothing short of amazing.

That first group you shot was truly amazing. Usually there's never a camera or a witness around when stuff like that happens to me!

It's called the SOCOM rifle, I can't remember Tapco being SOCOM quality. Then you add a nice Vltor mixed with mako part witch also lacks in the fit/finish/feel area. Just an odd combo of parts...

I have the same reaction. The mix of parts is puzzling. I also think that must be one hell of an expensive cut, crown, and thread to get to that number.

Watching this vid makes me want to tinker with one myself though.

deadlyfire
02-21-12, 16:36
the mix of parts is also the one thing holding me back from considering a purchase.

buckshot1220
02-22-12, 18:13
Looks interesting. They have come a long way since I owned one back around '08. For whatever reason I never really got into .308 (cost, recoil, limited to 10rd mags at the time) and sold the gun off pretty quickly after realizing I didn't want to sink that much money into bringing it "up to spec" so to speak.

The one from Krebs looks light years ahead of what I was trying to run at the time, however, $1900+ is steep for "modified" AK, .308 or not.

Iraqgunz
02-23-12, 10:45
I would possibly consider one of these.