PDA

View Full Version : Experienced Opinions - Short Stroke? Bolt Overrun? BAD?

Scoby
02-19-12, 07:31
Shot a carbine match yesterday and this happened to me three times with three different mags. All PMags. Approx. 75rds fired in the match.
Racked the charging handle and the round went into battery.

Short stroke? Mag overrun? BAD Lever on new Noveske lower?

Specs on carbine:
Gen II Noveske lower w/ BAD lever
H buffer
Blue Sprinco spring
14.5" DD midlength
IMI M193 ammo

http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/zz229/Scoby/014.jpg

This only started occurring when I mated the new Noveske lower to the upper. I know...I know...I should have run it more prior to the match. Just didn't see this coming.
My LMT lower with BAD has never had this issue with all things being the same. Buffer, spring, etc.
I'll be pissed if this is a lower / BAD issue and it may very well be.
I intend to take the BAD off and see what happens.

If not the lower/BAD combo, what direction in buffer, spring should I go? Lighter, heavier, combination of the two?

What is the experienced opinion of the house?

lethal dose
02-19-12, 07:54
scoby, i'm having trouble seeing everything in the pic. are you saying that when you charged the weapon the bolt DID or DID NOT strip a round into the chamber? if i'm reading your post correctly, it sounds like the weapon chambered the initial round appropriately. if that is the case, when this malfunction occurs, does the spent casing get extracted/ejected? have you noticed the bolt locking back after the last round?

lethal dose
02-19-12, 08:01
just realized... this is your 666th post. spooky.

Scoby
02-19-12, 08:04
Kyle, you're right....should have clarified this.

It happened once on a mag change. Hit the BAD and the bolt didn't catch the round.
Happened twice during firing.
Each time I checked the chamber, saw what happened, worked the CH and continued.

I'm thinking the BAD, but don't know.....yet.

Scoby
02-19-12, 08:08
just realized... this is your 666th post. spooky.

Damn....didn't notice.
Thanks for getting me off it. ;)

lethal dose
02-19-12, 08:11
haha... no problem. so it WAS extracting every time, just failing to chamber the subsequent round, right? and was the round that failed to chamber still completely seated in the mag?

Iraqgunz
02-19-12, 08:16
It's all guesswork, however I would do a search about the BAD lever and read some of the various malfunctions people seemed to encounter after installation.

Scoby
02-19-12, 08:25
haha... no problem. so it WAS extracting every time, just failing to chamber the subsequent round, right? and was the round that failed to chamber still completely seated in the mag?

No extraction problems.
The round looked just like what is shown in the pic. The round was not completely seated in the mag. It was like the bolt never picked up the round and ran over it but, pushed it forward just alittle.

C4IGrant
02-19-12, 08:26
A lot of different issues going on here so you will want to minimize everything.

First, load one round into a mag. Fire. Did the bolt lock back? If yes, do it ten more times and see if it does it every time.

If it does not, put a regular carbine spring in the gun and try the test again.

C4

Scoby
02-19-12, 08:30
It's all guesswork, however I would do a search about the BAD lever and read some of the various malfunctions people seemed to encounter after installation.

I've read all of them at some point. Probably should go back and take a look.

I'll get it figured out eventually, just hoping someone may save me some time and ammo.

Iraqgunz
02-19-12, 08:33
I'll be willing to bet, that if you remove it everything will be fine.

I've read all of them at some point. Probably should go back and take a look.

I'll get it figured out eventually, just hoping someone may save me some time and ammo.

Scoby
02-19-12, 08:36
A lot of different issues going on here so you will want to minimize everything.

First, load one round into a mag. Fire. Did the bolt lock back? If yes, do it ten more times and see if it does it every time.

If it does not, put a regular carbine spring in the gun and try the test again.

C4

I'll give this a try.
I have the BAD on two other guns and its' use is ingrained in my brain.
I really hope that it is not the BAD.

By the way, thanks for the lower and the good service.

lethal dose
02-19-12, 08:39
i was about to suggest the same as grant. if the bolt is completely failing to pick up the next round, it might be outrunning your mag. see what happens. i'm not too familiar with the BAD lever, but have read about people having some issues. weather or not they were the same issue, i couldn't tell ya.

ucrt
02-19-12, 08:42

I have seen one gun where the Bolt Catch locked the BCG back on the Bolt Carrier body and not in front of the Bolt Face. This caused a similar looking feed to what you have.

I can't get my rifle to duplicate catching on the BCG body, so it might have been a BCG issue.

Try using the BAD to catch the BCG by intentionally "miss" catching the Bolt but still applying pressure on the BAD to see if it can make the BC catch the front BCG shoulder.

Just a thought...

Scoby
02-19-12, 08:43
I'll be willing to bet, that if you remove it everything will be fine.

If I had to bet on it....I'd say you were right.

If it wasn't pouring down rain right now, I'd be trying to figure it out this very minute.

lethal dose
02-19-12, 08:44
If I had to bet on it....I'd say you were right.

If it wasn't pouring down rain right now, I'd be trying to figure it out this very minute.

WEAK! :D

Scoby
02-19-12, 08:59

I have seen one gun where the Bolt Catch locked the BCG back on the Bolt Carrier body and not in front of the Bolt Face. This caused a similar looking feed to what you have.

I can't get my rifle to duplicate catching on the BCG body, so it might have been a BCG issue.

Try using the BAD to catch the BCG by intentionally "miss" catching the Bolt but still applying pressure on the BAD to see if it can make the BC catch the front BCG shoulder.

Just a thought...

Just gave this a try. Bolt catch will not engage the carrier and hold it back.
Thanks for eliminating one possibility.

Scoby
02-19-12, 09:01
WEAK! :D

I know...I'm not the man I used to be. :cool:

dirtyhoboC
02-19-12, 09:33
It sounds like the new upper has an oversized gas hole to me. What weight buffer do you have, the h? Cheap to get a heavier one (h2) and try it out. I would loan you mine, but i'm in AZ. I know this video is for a piston setup, but I saw it on one of the topics the other day. Good cut out animations.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LltApvOC0U
skip to 4:27
it sounds like your problem to the T.

rob_s
02-19-12, 09:54
Most people are going to point to the BAD lever because... well they just will. Until you take it off and shoot the gun, and try the test Grant mentions, it's kind of pointless to speculate and it's going to be hard for people to get over the BAD.

dirtyhoboC
02-19-12, 09:58
Most people are going to point to the BAD lever because... well they just will. Until you take it off and shoot the gun, and try the test Grant mentions, it's kind of pointless to speculate and it's going to be hard for people to get over the BAD.

You are right, I am not sure why. If you have used a BAD, then you know it is a necessity. When I first got my BAD, my AR buddys were giving me crap, saying all sorts of stuff... unintentional discharge, and carrier problems, and trigger problems when wearing gloves. 2 years later, no problems, and wouldnt take it off my gun.

Iraqgunz
02-19-12, 10:11
I pointed to the BAD lever because if I was to guess, the weapon was fine until it was installed and because I have seen more than a handful of posts here where people have installed it and then had some type of issue.

Scoby
02-19-12, 10:13
It sounds like the new upper has an oversized gas hole to me. What weight buffer do you have? Cheap to get a heavier one and try it out. I would loan you mine, but i'm in AZ. I know this video is for a piston setup, but I saw it on one of the topics the other day. Good cut out animations.

If you refer to my OP, this upper ran 100% through 1,000s of rounds with no problems on my LMT lower with BAD. It's not new.
The lower is and has the same H buffer and Springco blue spring as the LMT lower.

Iraqgunz
02-19-12, 10:15
It's called a gas port, not hole. I also doubt very much that it is overgassed. Yes, it can happen. But DD is not known for making such barrels. Also, if you read the Op's first post, he clearly states he is using an H buffer which should be prefectly fine for a midlength.

It sounds like the new upper has an oversized gas hole to me. What weight buffer do you have? Cheap to get a heavier one and try it out. I would loan you mine, but i'm in AZ. I know this video is for a piston setup, but I saw it on one of the topics the other day. Good cut out animations.

rob_s
02-19-12, 10:20
I pointed to the BAD lever because if I was to guess, the weapon was fine until it was installed and because I have seen more than a handful of posts here where people have installed it and then had some type of issue.

I'm not calling anyone out on it, or questioning the advice, I'm simply pointing out that until it's eliminated as the cause the discussion is unlikely to reveal any solutions.

Scoby
02-19-12, 10:20
Went back a took a look at some old threads. I remember reading it when it was posted a year ago.

It's not a bad thread, even though there is alot of speculation on a diagnosis going on. To be fair, I suppose in order to make a diagnosis, you have to speculate in some cases.

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=72919

I know what I won't do and that is cut down a spring as someone in the above thread suggested for a fix.

ST911
02-19-12, 11:37
Diagnosis is best in person. That being said... Mix in short stroke tests at each stage and see what the problem follows or is remedied by:

Clean and lube
Remove sprinco, install GI spring
Remove BAD
Test fire a .223 SAAMI load instead of M193

I think you're over-sprung.

C4IGrant
02-19-12, 12:31
You are right, I am not sure why. If you have used a BAD, then you know it is a necessity. When I first got my BAD, my AR buddys were giving me crap, saying all sorts of stuff... unintentional discharge, and carrier problems, and trigger problems when wearing gloves. 2 years later, no problems, and wouldnt take it off my gun.

Honestly speaking, when I see an AR having CERTAIN issues, the VERY first thing I look at is if it has a BAD lever on it. Why? Experience has taught me that this device can screw up a perfectly good working AR.

C4

tpd223
02-19-12, 12:35
What kind of mags are you running, how old are they?

Almost all of the bolt over base malfunctions I have seen, and that looks like one in the pic, are due to the magazine having issues.

Heidevolk
02-19-12, 14:08
Same issue here in a mid-length 14.5" Noveske upper (bolt override, failure to properly feed when dropping the release). However unlike the OP, my bolt will lock open on the BCG and not the Bolt-Face. Did the "short stroke test" and it either wouldn't lock open, or would lock on the BCG instead of the bolt-face.

I even tried the GI spring and a Carbine buffer (vs the original Springco blue and H-buffer) but haven't solved the issue yet. The only "fix" was using a very short, apparently underpowered spring I found in a spare parts bin. The action seemed to cycle properly with this spring, but it was so weak that on a magazine change it wouldn't push the new round all the way into the chamber, and I had to actually use the charging handle on a mag change to give it enough force (to show how ridiculously weak the spring was).

My problem may be that I've only tested with Wolf/PMC ammo. I'm disappointed though if it can't run this low-powered ammo even with a standard spring & buffer weight. Would the next step be to just test the standard spring & weight with military (M193/M855) ammo?

I also followed Grant's advice and removed the BAD, but unfortunately the problem persists. I even tried different magazines - same problem.

ForTehNguyen
02-19-12, 14:09
not seeing a how a BAD short strokes a rifle, but to be sure the bolt catch isnt dragging underneath the BCG is it?

compare your buffer springs between your LMT lower and this Noveske lower?

Axcelea
02-19-12, 15:16
Doesn't seem your typical BAD malfunction which is usually holding the bolt up. That said it is ridiculously easy to remove the BAD, blast some rounds, see how it fairs, reinstall, blast some rounds, see how that fairs, and draw a fairly sound conclusion if it is the BAD or not. So first thing I would check, if it still has the same issues then move on, if the issues stop then re assess the use of the BAD.

Looks to me a malfunction of another color such as a slow magazine, under gassed, to strong a spring, or to heavy a buffer.

ucrt
02-19-12, 15:24
...However unlike the OP, my bolt will lock open on the BCG and not the Bolt-Face. ...

===================================

Just curious what make is your BCG?
Thanks

Scoby
02-19-12, 15:26
What kind of mags are you running, how old are they?

Almost all of the bolt over base malfunctions I have seen, and that looks like one in the pic, are due to the magazine having issues.

None of the mags are new but, one of the three is newer than the other two.

All are 30 rounders. No 20s.

Scoby
02-19-12, 15:29
not seeing a how a BAD short strokes a rifle, but to be sure the bolt catch isnt dragging underneath the BCG is it?

compare your buffer springs between your LMT lower and this Noveske lower?

No the BCG doesn't appear to dragging on the catch. I can see were the hammer contacts it but not the catch.

Just compared the two Springco blue springs. Same length even though one is older than the other. The one that is giving me probs is the newer one.

C4IGrant
02-19-12, 15:41
No the BCG doesn't appear to dragging on the catch. I can see were the hammer contacts it but not the catch.

Just compared the two Springco blue springs. Same length even though one is older than the other. The one that is giving me probs is the newer one.

For the record, I generally do not like the Blue Sprinco springs in Middy's.

C4

Scoby
02-19-12, 16:34
For the record, I generally do not like the Blue Sprinco springs in Middy's.

C4

I've got a carbine spring and all the different size buffers.

The spring will be the first change I make in trying to figure this out.

I wish I had the LMT lower in hand to compare to. It's stripped down, with exception of the bolt catch and mag release, and at an engraver for a SBR.

ForTehNguyen
02-19-12, 18:12

couple things you can try like swapping the uppers to see if the problems follow. Then you can swap buffer springs around and see if the problems follow it.

jonconsiglio
02-19-12, 18:14

A necessity? Not at all, lube is a necessity, the BAD is a benefit to some and a problem for others. Personally, I think it's a device that should be mainly for competition use.

I had them on my rifles for a while, then my rifle took a hit going prone. When I cleared the malfunction, the bolt would lock back after each round or two. Had this been in the middle of something important, I would have had to try to rip the lever off, possibly breaking the catch itself. Not only was the lever bent, the backplate was bent into the receiver holding the catch pretty much in the open position.

In my opinion, and this is just for me, these should not be used on defensive/patrol rifles. If they can't be used on these types of rifles, then they can't be used on my training rifles either since I'll have two different set ups.

Aside from working malfunctions, which aren't all that common and aren't hard to work in the first place, I really don't see the benefit. Again, this is after using them for about 6 months or more and numerous time per week.

So, as to the opening post, I just don't have anything else to add than what's already been suggested. I try to keep one upper with one lower or if I use two uppers on a particular lower, I try to do it where both uppers work on similar buffer/spring set ups. My 14.5" BCM mid length runs very strong with all ammo on a standard carbine spring and H buffer. It runs fine on an H2 as well, but I stick to the H. For a while I ran it on the A5, again without issues.

SpaceWrangler
02-19-12, 18:19
DirtyhoboC, you need to stop posting your misguided opinions as facts. This isn't AR15.com .

John_Burns
02-20-12, 12:35
Shot a carbine match yesterday and this happened to me three times with three different mags. All PMags. Approx. 75rds fired in the match.
Racked the charging handle and the round went into battery.

Short stroke? Mag overrun? BAD Lever on new Noveske lower?

Specs on carbine:
Gen II Noveske lower w/ BAD lever
H buffer
Blue Sprinco spring
14.5" DD midlength
IMI M193 ammo

http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/zz229/Scoby/014.jpg

This only started occurring when I mated the new Noveske lower to the upper. I know...I know...I should have run it more prior to the match. Just didn't see this coming.
My LMT lower with BAD has never had this issue with all things being the same. Buffer, spring, etc.
I'll be pissed if this is a lower / BAD issue and it may very well be.
I intend to take the BAD off and see what happens.

If not the lower/BAD combo, what direction in buffer, spring should I go? Lighter, heavier, combination of the two?

What is the experienced opinion of the house?

From the picture I would say a good cleaning is in order as a first step, that bolt and carrier are pretty grimed up.

A mid length 14.5 barrel with the .076 port has the least amount of gas available to the action of any commonly run setup and sooner or later it will start short stroking if you never clean it. A 14.5 inch barrel carbine length gas system with the .063 port will blow the action open long after the 14.5 inch middy has run out of steam and can take advantage of the increased feeding force of the blue spring and heavy buffer.

In my opinion the blue spring and h buffer will have enough force to chamber in a really grimed up gun but you might find a better balance with a standard spring/14.5 inch/Middy/.076 port.

Most likely the switch to the new lower added just enough extra drag (new hammer face that had not been smoothed up from cycling and brand new strong hammer spring) to start the problem.

Carb cleaner and good lube are your friends.:D

wahoo95
02-20-12, 12:49
Looks oversprung to me

Scoby
02-20-12, 13:12
From the picture I would say a good cleaning is in order as a first step, that bolt and carrier are pretty grimed up.

A mid length 14.5 barrel with the .076 port has the least amount of gas available to the action of any commonly run setup and sooner or later it will start short stroking if you never clean it. A 14.5 inch barrel carbine length gas system with the .063 port will blow the action open long after the 14.5 inch middy has run out of steam and can take advantage of the increased feeding force of the blue spring and heavy buffer.

In my opinion the blue spring and h buffer will have enough force to chamber in a really grimed up gun but you might find a better balance with a standard spring/14.5 inch/Middy/.076 port.

Most likely the switch to the new lower added just enough extra drag (new hammer face that had not been smoothed up from cycling and brand new strong hammer spring) to start the problem.

Carb cleaner and good lube are your friends.:D

Man that is clean.

Not but about 200rds through it since its' last cleaning. Probably 50 suppressed.
What you're seeing is a thick coat of Mobil 1 synthetic and alittle carbon. I've ran them a hell of alot dirtier than that.

Cleaning is not my issue.

Scoby
02-20-12, 13:13
Looks oversprung to me

I do hope that everyone making the oversprung comments are right.

wahoo95
02-20-12, 13:22
I say oversprung because I have seen that same issue in other rifles when users hae combined heay buffers with heavy springs and Middy gas. A switch to standard carbine spring usually helps when using quality ammo. When using underpowered ammo swapping to carbine spring and buffer has helped with no negative effects on reliability.

I have a 11.5" upper that ran fine on any ammo I fed it till I switched to a Tubbs Flatwire spring and heavy buffer. I swapped back to my standard carbine spring and H buffer and the problems went away.

As for the cleanliness on your BCG in the pic.....looks good to me :) I too use motor oil and lube has never been an issue.

Scoby
02-20-12, 18:42
It's the BAD.

Let me say this first. In the match I only had 3 reloads in the 5 stages if I remember correctly and I never had a failure to lock the bolt back. The malfunction shown in the pic occurred on one of those reloads. Not really sure how but it did.

Today I used the same 3 PMags I did in the match that I had the problems with plus one more newer PMag and a new USGI. Just because. Same IMI M193 ammo.

BAD still on. Changed the Springco blue spring to a carbine spring. H buffer still in. Two failures to lock the bolt back. Both on two of the newer PMags.

BAD still on. Changed the H buffer to a carbine buffer. One failure to lock the bolt back on one of the same newer PMags.

Took the BAD off. Carbine buffer and spring. Ran five rounds, three different times out of the PMag used above that I had failures with. No problems.

BAD is off. Reinstalled H buffer. Ran five rounds, six different times out of the PMag used above that I had failures with. No problems.

It baffles me that one lower with all its' components being the same will run differently than another. And....the BAD seems to be such a simple little addition too.

ForTehNguyen
02-20-12, 23:34
so what fixed the short stroking problem? The BAD can cause fail to lock backs on tighter fitting lowers as some people have experienced. Although six of my BADs dont have any cycling or lock back problems

rob_s
02-21-12, 04:00
Forgive me if I misundertsood, but I thought we were addressing a failure to feed, not a failure to lock?

Scoby
02-21-12, 05:33
That is part of what is strange about this.
Yesterday I could never duplicate the "short stroke" malfunction. I ran 5 rounds in each of the 5 mags a minimum of 2 times in each configuration.
It never "short stroked".

What I did experience yesterday was failures to lock back on a empty mag which I never had during the match. These are the configurations in which the failures to lock back occurred:

H Buffer / Carbine Spring
Carbine buffer / Carbine Spring
All with the BAD on.

Took the BAD off.
No failures to lock back or "short stroke" with Carbine Buffer / Carbine Spring.
Reinstalled the H Buffer with the Carbine Spring - no failures.

It was the BAD.
How it caused the carbine to jump from one malfunction to another by changing the spring and/or buffer is a good question and one I can't answer.

What I didn't do yesterday, ran out of daylight, was to reinstall the blue Springco spring in combo with the H buffer. I will do this soon as I get a chance. This upper with the LMT lower, H buffer and blue Sprinco was a real sweet shooter and never gave me a problem.

Seems I ****ed up a real nice rig by wanting a shiny new toy.

rob_s
02-21-12, 06:15
Well, I never did see how the BAD could induce the malfunction you initially reported, and only suggested removing it to eliminate the most glaring element. Will be interesting to see if it recurs without the part.

Scoby
02-21-12, 08:18
Well, I never did see how the BAD could induce the malfunction you initially reported, and only suggested removing it to eliminate the most glaring element. Will be interesting to see if it recurs without the part.

Yes it will.
I intend on putting at least a couple of hundred rounds through it by this weekend.

I do have a Gen I Noveske lower that has a BAD installed. It's on my 14.5" Afghan recce. Never had a problem out of this one. It doesn't get the hard use like the other upper does however. Gonna mate it to the 14.5" DD upper and see what happens.

ForTehNguyen
02-21-12, 08:23
if a lower has a tight fitment on the bolt release, the tighter fit will cause some drag and potentially cause the bolt catch to not catch the BCG when it cycles. My six BADs have a bit of play in my various lowers: DPMS, Spikes, CMMG, and they all work.

try to compare the play with your other noveske and compare it to the one thats not working

C4IGrant
02-21-12, 08:26
The properly named B A D Lever strikes again! :jester:

C4

Scoby
02-21-12, 08:30
if a lower has a tight fitment on the bolt release, the tighter fit will cause some drag and potentially cause the bolt catch to not catch the BCG when it cycles. My six BADs have a bit of play in my various lowers: DPMS, Spikes, CMMG, and they all work.

try to compare the play with your other noveske and compare it to the one thats not working

When you say "a bit of play" I'm assuming that you mean some side to side wiggle of the bolt catch/release, rather than any vertical type movement as when you activate the catch/release.

There is some side to side wiggle in the bolt catch/release. Not much, but some.
No movement in the vertical/activation direction. It is under good spring pressure.

Scoby
02-21-12, 08:33
The properly named B A D Lever strikes again! :jester:

C4

Yes it does....damnit. This is my first hit.

Glad you find it so amusing. :D

rob_s
02-21-12, 08:35

I could *almost* see the BAD lever pulling down on the paddle, thereby pushing up on the locking tab, ever so slightly and causing just enough drag to slow down the BCG, but that would be one hell of a set of coincidences.

and, IMO, reinforces what I've always said RE the BAD, which is that it does not induce issues with an otherwise functioning gun but it calls existing issues to your attention.

If there is enough play in your bolt catch that the BAD can pull down on it and induce some sort of failure, something is wrong with your gun.

C4IGrant
02-21-12, 08:43
Yes it does....damnit. This is my first hit.

Glad you find it so amusing. :D

I am actually sorry that your gun is not running in the configuration you like.

As you probably know, I teach free classes all spring, summer and fall. I see a lot of BAD levers in these classes (almost like someone was giving them away for free). I have seen more malfunctions induced by this device than any other (some is operator error, some is mechanical). Some AR's work great with it on for thousands of rounds and then fail. Some fail from day one.

As we know, the device was invented to speed up the clearing of type three malfunctions (not to release the bolt on a E-Reload). Since the invention of anti-tilt followers and just better mags all around, the commonality of type 3 malfunctions is very rare these days (especially on a SA AR).

So I have to ask why???

YMMV

C4

Scoby
02-21-12, 08:57
I could *almost* see the BAD lever pulling down on the paddle, thereby pushing up on the locking tab, ever so slightly and causing just enough drag to slow down the BCG, but that would be one hell of a set of coincidences.

and, IMO, reinforces what I've always said RE the BAD, which is that it does not induce issues with an otherwise functioning gun but it calls existing issues to your attention.

If there is enough play in your bolt catch that the BAD can pull down on it and induce some sort of failure, something is wrong with your gun.

Let me ask this as I'm not 100% sure of the position of the bolt catch on a failure to lock back with an empty mag.

If the bolt catch was dragging on the underside of the BCG, would there not be evidence of that on the underside of the BCG on a failure to lock back? As in friction marks/trails in the lube.
I see no evidence of that. I do see the friction marks/trails from the action of cocking the hammer.

Scoby
02-21-12, 09:15
Grant...I know you didn't mean anything by it. I'm sorry it's not working too. I really do like the thing.

I do know this, if it will not work on one of my weapons, it will not be on any of them. You guys may be seeing a couple of BADs on the EE here soon.

I shoot enough to retrain myself to use the catch paddle in pretty short order.

rob_s
02-21-12, 09:18
Let me ask this as I'm not 100% sure of the position of the bolt catch on a failure to lock back with an empty mag.

If the bolt catch was dragging on the underside of the BCG, would there not be evidence of that on the underside of the BCG on a failure to lock back? As in friction marks/trails in the lube.
I see no evidence of that. I do see the friction marks/trails from the action of cocking the hammer.

I cannot think of a single other way the BAD lever could induce the failure you originally reported in your first post.

Scoby
02-21-12, 09:33
I cannot think of a single other way the BAD lever could induce the failure you originally reported in your first post.

I'll be running it without it and I'll see what happens. I hope there is no other issues going on.

Noodles
02-21-12, 13:08
BAD induced or not.... I'm DONE using mine as a bolt release. It's a bolt hold open ONLY for me.

One ND is one way too many, my fault of course, it's just that my finger would not have been anywhere near the trigger if not using the BAD to release the bolt. It was stupid and embarrassing, but I can imagine I'm not the only one this happened to.

Scoby
02-24-12, 19:15
Ran 120rds through this upper/lower combo this evening without the BAD and......without a single hitch.

Took it all the way to a H2 buffer using the blue Springco. No problems.

This lower just doesn't like the BAD. Period.

Heidevolk
02-24-12, 19:50
I had a BAD on mine actually, when I had most of my issues...

I need to go shooting again.

danco
02-24-12, 20:48
I know nothing about the BAD, so just ignore me if I'm off base here, but is it possible to use a stiffer bolt release spring to counteract the BAD lever's weight?

agr1279
02-25-12, 10:23
Get rid of that BAD lever. It does have the proper name though. Bad.

Dan

L91
02-28-12, 22:41
Have you looked at the bolt key to make sure it's completely secure on the bolt? I had a short stroking issue on my AR that wouldn't show up until about round 80 or so, and it turned out the key screws were working themselves loose.

Just something to look for if this still remains a mystery.

Heidevolk
02-28-12, 22:56
In my case I took the following steps:

Removed BAD
Purchased new carbine spring & buffer from Bravo
Tested with XM193 ammunition

The (apparent short-stroking) problem no longer exists on my Mid-length 14.5", and the gun now cycles very vigorously, showing no more signs of malfunction.

ucrt
02-28-12, 23:31
Have you looked at the Gas Key to make sure it's completely secure on the Bolt Carrier? I had a short stroking issue on my AR that wouldn't show up until about round 80 or so, and it turned out the key screws were working themselves loose.

====================================

Fixed it for you.

Iraqgunz
02-29-12, 01:15
Instead of posting something simply to read your own words, look at the thread and see what transpired. The issue is resolved.

Have you looked at the bolt key to make sure it's completely secure on the bolt? I had a short stroking issue on my AR that wouldn't show up until about round 80 or so, and it turned out the key screws were working themselves loose.