PDA

View Full Version : M&P45c recoil

ruchik
02-19-12, 09:14
So I am thinking about purchasing an M&P45c. However, here in the People's Republic of Kalifornia, it is not safety-approved by the state for sale through "normal" FFL procedures. It must be done through a different process (all legal, no worries). Anyhow, the full size M&P45's are approved for sale in California. I remember shooting one and thinking to myself "This can't be a .45. It doesn't kick at all!" For reference, I was comparing it to 9mm NATO rounds out of an M&P9 and a CCO .45 1911. My question is this; is there much of a recoil difference between the compact and full size (not the mid-size) models? I can't shoot a compact model before I buy, unfortunately, so I'd like to hear from some owners or individuals who have experience with both.

DocGKR
02-19-12, 12:13
The M&P45 compact is exactly the same slide and barrel as the mid-size, the only difference with the compact is the shorter grip that results in 2 less rds in the mag and a reduced "beavertail" tang on the frame--recoil is essentially the same. In fact I can't tell much difference between all 3 sizes of M&P45--all will serve you well.

I am using the full size M&P45, mainly because when we went with it, there was no mid-size; if I was going to adopt a .45 ACP handgun right now, I'd likely go with the M&P45 mid-size w/ambi-safety and be done with it.

----------------------------------

Keep in mind that for self-defense, CCW, and most urban LE duty, there are a lot of advantages in carrying a 9mm--easy to shoot one handed, relatively inexpensive to practice with, lots of bullets. When I injured my strong hand a few years ago and lost its use for several months, I found out how much more effective I was using a G19 weak handed compared to a 1911...

The nice aspects of .45 ACP are that it makes large holes, can be very accurate, and offers good penetration of some intermediate barriers. Unfortunately, magazine capacity is less than ideal, .45 ACP is more expensive to practice with, and in general is harder to shoot well compared with 9 mm.

As in your unfortunate situation being stuck in CA, .45 ACP makes the most sense in states with idiotic 10 rd magazine restrictions, in departments that give you lots of free .45 ACP ammo, or in situations where modern expanding ammunition is restricted due to asinine, illogical regulations.

redhands
02-19-12, 14:31
I love mine. I have had it only 2 months but have no regrets. It is a little thicker than the Glock 19 but essentially the same size. It carries very well in a Don Hume JIT. The first day I shot it I put 100 rounds of WWB through it fast at the range. Actually that is all that I have shot out of it yet. All the brass ejected consistently at 3 with authority, and I could ring a 3" gong at 25 yards .

One handed I could keep all my shots on a 14"gong at the same distance. All of this with the stock trigger.

The only time that I thought the recoil was "brisk" was with one handed shooting. Even then it really wasn't a problem. It isn't a 9mm but with a good 2 handed grip it is easy to control. I have no experience with the full or midsize models, the sales lady asked me which one I wanted to see and I said the compact and that's the one that came home. I didn't even pick the others up.

Mine is great. Good luck.

Hogsgunwild
02-19-12, 16:23
Like Doc said, there is very little difference between them recoil-wise.
I own the 45 compact and mid-size and have shot the full-size. I tend to shoot the mid-size slightly more accurately than my compact and I attribute it to the longer grip helping me to stabilize better. If I only shoot my compact but not the mid-size for a couple of range sessions in a row, then, I find that I adapt nicely to my compact and start shooting it as accurately as my mid-size. My 8+1 round compact conceals better than my mid-size and I carry two extra ten round magazines, so, I could actually live without my mid-size but I like and use them both.