PDA

View Full Version : making a kimber run good

curt33
02-19-12, 14:34
so ive been doing a lot of reading and i see alot of kimber haters. in sept of 2010 i orderd a kimber tact entry II. this was before reading up on all the horror stories. ive already paid for it and i should recieve any time. my question is what parts need to get replaced to make this thing run like a champ. i already have a first gen desert worrior and that thing is a tank. never had a hickup. but i read alot about the newer kimbers arent up to snuff

Reagans Rascals
02-19-12, 14:42
so ive been doing a lot of reading and i see alot of kimber haters. in sept of 2010 i orderd a kimber tact entry II. this was before reading up on all the horror stories. ive already paid for it and i should recieve any time. my question is what parts need to get replaced to make this thing run like a champ. i already have a first gen desert worrior and that thing is a tank. never had a hickup. but i read alot about the newer kimbers arent up to snuff

you've been waiting for it for a year and half?.....

curt33
02-19-12, 14:47
lol sorry i ment sept 2011 im rather not happy about it. i should have just bought my dd mark18 insted. would have had it by now

Jason F
02-19-12, 14:58

Hard to say what parts "need replacing" without your having the gun in hand. You may just need to tune up a few things. OR, perhaps you'll have to have all the parts refitted/replaced/retuned by a very good smith. Hard to say without having the gun in your hand and with some rounds downrange to check function.

Get it in your hands, burn 500 or 1000 rounds with it, keep notes of failures/problems and then after 1000 rounds see where it stands. Hopefully you'll save yourself some money and time by only chasing real problems that you've documented instead of chasing potential issues that some dude on the internet had with the same mass produced gun. (and I saw this as the owner of 2 Kimbers, one of which is my EDC- so I'm not a Kimber hater, but not a fanboy either; once my new custom 1911 arrives in 30 days or so one of the Kimbers is going to get sold).

curt33
02-19-12, 15:07
sound advise. thank you

C4IGrant
02-19-12, 15:12

If you start changing parts and filing on it, you will void your warranty so I would pretty much just leave it alone and shoot it.

If it it was my gun, I would check the length of the feed ramp and then polish it (if needed). Then check the spacing of the throat to the feed ramp. Next, polish the roof of the barrel hood (if needed).

Check the case length of the barrel, check the staking on the plunger tube, tension on the extractor and to see if the tip of the extractor is touching the casing body.

I could go on and on.................

C4

curt33
02-19-12, 15:15
please do im bookmarking this page as we speek so i can go right back to it when the black sheep finaly arives

C4IGrant
02-19-12, 15:21
please do im bookmarking this page as we speek so i can go right back to it when the black sheep finaly arives

LOL, there are just so many things to check and on top of that, if you don't know what you are looking for, you are just wasting your time.

Take it to a KNOWN quality 1911 pistolsmith and have them look it over (which I am not).

C4

curt33
02-19-12, 15:31
ok fair enough. thanks for all your inpute

C4IGrant
02-19-12, 15:40
ok fair enough. thanks for all your inpute

You are welcome.

C4

RCI1911
02-20-12, 20:18
You are really going to need to shoot it first. It could be just fine and not need anything. I've got a Kimber Custom II with the dreaded external extractor and its up over 10,000 rounds with the factory parts in it and still humming along. Three areas that are common problems with Kimbers are (a) they are magazine sensative; mine likes Chip McCormick Power Mags and Tripp Research Cobra mags. (b) they have tight chambers (c) the barrels are throated improperly. After having a couple issues early on follow by some minor tweaks, my Kimber has been 100% for a very long time.

wetidlerjr
02-21-12, 05:54
You are really going to need to shoot it first. It could be just fine and not need anything...

Good advice and you should follow it. Run about 500-1000 rounds through it. It will either run 'em without issue and you are GTG or it will choke at some point and that will tell you what needs fixing. Good luck!
:cool:

duece71
02-21-12, 19:59
You should run 500-1000 rounds through every pistol/revolver/rifle you own before changing anything with the gun.

mike boufford
02-22-12, 19:20
You should run 500-1000 rounds through every pistol/revolver/rifle you own before changing anything with the gun.

Sound advice. Why change out parts you "think" might need to be changed out until they actually break? There isn't a weapon out there that won't break a part from time to time if you shoot it a lot. Changing parts just to change parts because the internet know it alls said so, is just an exercise in wallet emptying. Shoot the damn thing!

Use a good lubricant. I'm getting good results with Frog Lube on my Kimbers. They are running just as good dirty as freshly cleaned, and that's with Winchester white box (only 2 boxes left in the inventory - thank God).

R0CKETMAN
02-22-12, 19:54
Friends don't let friends buy Kimber.

Sell it as soon as you pick it up. It will be inexpensive. Pay now or pay later. Take stellar pics, write a good ad, and post on various forums.

Since you dig a rail I'm thinking either MC OP or TRP OP. A little effort, but no big deal.

loganp0916
02-22-12, 20:53
Assuming it needs work, how much $$$ do you guys think it would take to get his kimber up to snuff (replacing MIM parts and what not)?

C4IGrant
02-22-12, 21:25
Assuming it needs work, how much $$$ do you guys think it would take to get his kimber up to snuff (replacing MIM parts and what not)?

A lot. Once again, if you do this, you are voiding your warranty.

C4

wetidlerjr
02-23-12, 03:23
A lot. Once again, if you do this, you are voiding your warranty.
C4

True but from what I have heard from some Kimber owners, it doesn't have a lot of value. ;)

C4IGrant
02-23-12, 09:29
True but from what I have heard from some Kimber owners, it doesn't have a lot of value. ;)

Well that could be true, but I am not going down that road. ;)

C4

mike boufford
02-23-12, 17:53

Why not place a call to Rogers Precision and get a ballpark estimate from a real custom gunsmith? He can at least put a rough number to it, and you might just get some solid advice which will save you money in the long run. Since Chuck customizes a lot of 1911's including Kimber, I would imagine that his opinion holds greater sway than the internet wannabes.

C4IGrant
02-23-12, 18:18
Why not place a call to Rogers Precision and get a ballpark estimate from a real custom gunsmith? He can at least put a rough number to it, and you might just get some solid advice which will save you money in the long run. Since Chuck customizes a lot of 1911's including Kimber, I would imagine that his opinion holds greater sway than the internet wannabes.

I actually agree with this. It is good for professional pistolsmiths to get a quote on making a Kimber MIM free and "fixing" all the mistakes they made.

What the OP will most likely find out though is that the cost of the gun + having a well known "smith" to remove parts, fit non-MIM parts and do reliability work on the gun would cost as much as it costs to get a WC CQB.

Try not describing anyone as a "wannabe" on this forum as you might be actually talking about yourself. ;)

C4

loganp0916
02-23-12, 18:21

Because I don't have one. If I were the op/for the op, that is a great idea.

WillBrink
02-23-12, 18:57
I could go on and on.................

C4

Or trade it in toward a Colt or SA :D

cdunn
02-25-12, 05:17

Sell it as soon as you pick it up. It will be inexpensive. Pay now or pay later. Take stellar pics, write a good ad, and post on various forums.

Since you dig a rail I'm thinking either MC OP or TRP OP. A little effort, but no big deal.

this,I was warned once and didn't listen.:fie:

munch520
02-25-12, 08:26

:) agreed. But good luck OP. Looking at my old logbook though, the Kimber was more reliable than my late gen3 Glock 19 (1-1,000 rounds) :suicide2:

curt33
03-02-12, 19:27
so in the mean time while im waiting on this obomination to finally arive. still no idea of when it will arive. i picked up a gen 4 glock 21. went down to the local indoor range put 600 rounds through here. that wa a expensive bill i might add. loven it. the new dual recoil spring is a nice improvement. didnt even want to touchh my glock 30, 21 was to nice of a shooter to put down. did shoot my desert worrior a bit. 1911 triggers are second to none. i hope this gun comes in soon or ill say screw it. sell it as soon as it comes in and by another ar

KCBRUIN
03-02-12, 20:06
edited because he already talked about this in the first post but I missed it.

Couldn't you contact your LGS and see if the distributor has the gun right now and if not cancel the order. Then just order a TRP or something similar. LGS will still be getting your money.

curt33
03-02-12, 20:44
i thought the same exact thing. i asked them if i could change the order or cancel it. they said no. when i first bought the gun they said a couple weeks wich was no big deal. then a month later i went back in, i have a really good buy sell relationship with them. known them for a long time so i wasnt in a rush to worry about the gun. but when i went back in i asked what was the deal and they said it would be up to six months. and that is coming up in one week. id rather go with the trp now, same feachers but without the bad rap. this hole thing has me kinda pissed off. and now too boot i waited a extra month to buy my ddm4v7 just to make sure that was the one i wanted. debated on a bunch and now there back ordered and i cant get those for a couple months either. i need a easy button.

KCBRUIN
03-02-12, 22:35
I know I've cancelled orders for backordered firearms before. And I never got any grief about it. I'm thinking if you went in and had a nice talk with the owner about your expected wait time, and your actual wait time you might be able to get a refund. The only reason I could see them saying no is if they've already paid the distributor for the Kimber. You'd have to ask one of the dealers on here if that's how it works, because I never pay the weapon off until it's time to walk out the door with it.

Depending on how you want to keep your relationship with that dealer I'm sure if you raise a big enough stink you could get out of it.

I honestly think your wait for a TRP will be as long as your wait for the Kimber if not longer. My dealer said the TRP's were an "allocated" item, and he wasn't sure how or when he'd be able to get one in.