PDA

View Full Version : DD Lite or Larue?

foxer
02-19-12, 15:22
Thinking of getting a 14.5" mid BCM upper to go with my Mega lower. I know, the best answer is to check out both, but thats not an option at this time. The uppers cost the same, although I see that the Lite rail is around $40.00 more if you were to purchase it. I have handled a Laure briefly and liked how it felt. Not sure of the mounting although since its Larue Im sure its good to go. Looking for opinions of those that have used either. Be gentle. :D

nimdabew
02-19-12, 15:38
I like Larue rails. I like the DD rail. My next rail is going to be a Centurion rail though.

ETA: I lied. My next rail is a DD RIS II.

Biggy
02-19-12, 15:55
I have to agree with the above poster. If I was looking for a quad rail it would be a Centurion Arms rail. IMHO I believe the AR industry is gradually getting away from the quad rails in favor of the new modular rail offering like the DD MFR, Noveske, Geissele and Wilson Combat TRIM, etc.

rob_s
02-19-12, 15:56
Information you may find useful.

https://sites.google.com/site/tacticalyellowvisor/charts/free-float-rails

nimdabew
02-19-12, 15:58

I have been looking for the rail chart for a spell.

Rwill8751
02-19-12, 18:18
I dont think the DD lite rails are worth it, I have a set and I hate them. I also run a piston system and it just seems to be a pain to take the gun down completely. There solid rails I'm just not a huge fan of the design. I have a set of Larue on my DI and I love them. You might want to look at the otis rails as well.

snackgunner
02-19-12, 18:36

Interesting chart. I thought the DD lite rails weighed more then the Centuron rails. Guess I was wrong.

emt370
02-19-12, 18:43
I don't have either set but am looking to build up a rifle soon and am in the same boat. Is there any reason why the DD Lite doesn't have a built-in QD socket? I like the design of the Lite a lot, but if the Larue has QD and my current DD Omega has QD, I don't know why that got left out on the Lite.

jonconsiglio
02-19-12, 18:52
I'd prefer built in QD sockets as well, but my RIS II's don't have them and the DD attachment works just fine. Not sure why they weren't built in either.

As for the Lite or LaRue, I really like the way the LaRue feels and the Lite is taller. I'd go for the Lite, but that's just opinion based on how they feel to me.

SteadyUp
02-19-12, 19:28
I've used the LaRue rail, and the DD Omega X (similar in profile, but not mounting system). Between the two, I prefer the smaller profile of the LaRue, but I would prefer the mounting system the Lite provides.

I know the OP didn't mention it, but I just purchased a Centurion rail (Midlength Cutout), and I am very, very impressed with it. It provides the slimmer profile of the LaRue (not quite as small, but pretty close), with a much easier mounting system (it uses the stock barrel nut).

Add in the fact that they have built in QD swivel cups, and you have a rail system is pretty damn hard to beat.

Here's how the midlength cutout looks on a 16" carbine:

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l564/BME5101982/AR-15/Current%20Configuration%20of%20ARs/IMG_1680-1.jpg

a1fabweld
02-19-12, 19:31
I prefer DD Lite Rails for their mounting design, uninterrupted top rail, weight, slim profile & 1 more reason that I won't get into (don't ask). I own 7 of them currently & plan on buying another 4 soon.

Todd00000
02-19-12, 19:44
I've seen IEDs rip the barrels out of receivers and bend bolts, but the KAC rails were still in place.

JPB
02-19-12, 22:12
I've seen IEDs rip the barrels out of receivers and bend bolts, but the KAC rails were still in place.

Which KAC rail are you referring to?

lethal dose
02-19-12, 22:18
For me, larue. All day. Every day. That being said, DD makes a great product. The larue has a profile closer to that of KAC.

kmrtnsn
02-19-12, 22:28
I just put a 10" Centurion Arms Rail on my wife's 14.5 LW build. I don't think there is an easier to install or lighter quad rail out there.

Grip
02-19-12, 23:08
I prefer DD Lite Rails for their mounting design, uninterrupted top rail, weight, and slim profile.

That is why i went with the DD Lite on my newest build.

Anyone who says the DD Lite is not easy to install probably has a hard time using their hands to do anything.

Its retarded how easy it is to install the Lite rail.

rob_s
02-20-12, 04:25
I just put a 10" Centurion Arms Rail on my wife's 14.5 LW build. I don't think there is an easier to install or lighter quad rail out there.

This is not accurate. The Centurion is a good rail without fabricating features.

wahoo95
02-20-12, 07:24
I have DD Lite and Centurion C4 ....I prefer the C4

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

RGoose
02-20-12, 07:52
That is why i went with the DD Lite on my newest build.

Anyone who says the DD Lite is not easy to install probably has a hard time using their hands to do anything.

Its retarded how easy it is to install the Lite rail.

I agree with the caveat of having the proper tools. There are a lot of people out there that have never removed their front sight base and frankly don't have the right tools to do the job correctly. Also their is the proprietary barrel nut tool for the Lite Rail. I really do like my Lite Rail and thought it a snap to install, but my next one with be a Cenutrion.

Todd00000
02-20-12, 07:58
Which KAC rail are you referring to?

USGI KAC M4 RAS (Rail Adapter System)

http://www.knightarmco.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2

I know ounces count in competitive events, but this KAC has been tested like few other RAS and has held up very well.

Pilgrim
02-20-12, 10:54
I have been agonizing over this for the last couple months...

Tried the DD 12, and it was nice...

Was all set on going with a 13" VTAC rail after trying the Troy Extreme...

But I'm going to just stick with the LaRue 12". It's tough as nails, and I'm very pleased with the 9.0 LaRue I have now on my EAG style BCM.

I thought I was done with quad rails forever, but nope, I'm sticking with what I have the most experience with.

Evil Colt 6920
02-20-12, 11:30
I have a 12.0 Lite rail on my rifle and a 7.0 Lite on my wifes. Also have a 7.0 Omega on another rifle. I still prefer the quad rail over others. Im very pleased with the quality of the finish. My rails have ondergone lots of gear and rifle swapping and still have no scuffs or scratches somehow. The barrel nut used on the Lite rails is what makes them my favorite. Very rigid mounting. Also, if your looking for a more round handguard feel, the larue index clips are great for adding a very low profile curve to the quad rails. Ive handled several different brands of rails but have only owned DD rails. I havent handled the centurion rails and they are the only non quad rail that interest me.