PDA

View Full Version : I'm new and wanting advice on a rifle.

BattleFurby
02-19-12, 15:48
I'm new to this site but from what i read around the site its just the place i want to be with all the experts and knowledgeable people. With that said i am 20 and i have been shooting since i was 12 being my frist rifle was a bolt-action 22 and ever since then i have collected several guns, mostly from family, but they are all bolt or lever action and i thought it was about time that i upgrade to a higher quality semi-auto rifle and i have been looking around and i like the AR's more than the AK's so i have looked and looked and i have finally got one in mind but i want some advice before i get it. Its a SIG551-A1 10" sbr any input would be great and i want a sbr for short to mid range shooting.

pmarc
02-19-12, 16:04
I'm new to this site but from what i read around the site its just the place i want to be with all the experts and knowledgeable people.

Read the stickies:
https://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=173
https://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3
https://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=4

North Dakota Shooter
02-19-12, 16:15
Colt 6920

TehLlama
02-19-12, 16:20
Read a lot - because it's cheaper than buying a rifle and then eating the cost of reselling to get another, more logical item.

Those stickies are a good start.

The typical theme is - buy a decent capable AR (the newer Sigs have some odd issues).

Colt 6720
Colt 6920
DD V5 LW
BCM 16" BFH Middy

Of those, the Colts get the nod for somebody starting out.

BattleFurby
02-19-12, 17:44
Thanks i like the colts alot but they are 16" barrels and i was wanting one shorter is there a way to change the barrels out? I was also going to be getting a suppressor in the near future.

sboza
02-19-12, 21:52
Thanks i like the colts alot but they are 16" barrels and i was wanting one shorter is there a way to change the barrels out? I was also going to be getting a suppressor in the near future.

I think you need to reconsider what several posters suggested: Read the sticky's and use the search button. Put your thoughts together based on the knowledge gained through this process and then ask more informed questions.

You strike me as one of those guys who want to run before they learn to walk (I was 20 not too long ago so I understand). If you have the money for a carbine of your choice, suppressor, and 2 NFA tax stamps, then you would probably will be better off buying a colt 6920, ammo, and a beginner or intermediate level class (depending on your level). Grow your knowledge from there and then start tinkering with parts, builds, etc... Or, take a LOT of time and research the hell out of this site and put together your sbr with can.

lethal dose
02-19-12, 21:58
You're first ar should NOT be an SBR.

LTMattyL
02-19-12, 22:31
You're first ar should NOT be an SBR.

Agree. ^^^^^

What is it that a 16" rifle can't offer you that a 10" rifle will? Once you can truthfully answer that question, then you can decide what you need. I would never seriously consider a SIG rifle but i would be interested to know what your reasoning is.

Buy a colt 6920, take a class, figure out what you like and don't like, then if you are still in the game, then go whole hog for your next gun (BCM, KAC, Colt, Noveske, DD, etc).

rob_s
02-20-12, 04:47
you would probably will be better off buying a colt 6920, ammo, and a beginner or intermediate level class (depending on your level).

Provided your interest in the rifle is to actually become proficient with it, this is the best advice. If your end-goal is owning something "cool" then buy the anachronistic SBR.

BattleFurby
02-20-12, 12:13
After my last post i read around the site alot and i have found that my question was poorly stated and as sboza said i was "wanting to run before i walk" there is alot about sbr's that i didn't know about and i really wasn't wanting a an ar just as a show piece i shoot the hell out of my rifles i have now and the ar i get is gonna be a workhorse. As you can see i'm still a novice when it comes to semi-auto rifles and you'll have to forgive me for that and thanks for the input guys it has been really helpful i'm gonna keep reading around and learn as much as i can before i dive head first into an ar, but i'm defiantly in love with ar's.

jared91
02-21-12, 10:42
Buy a colt, couple cases of ammo, if the AR is for you you will learn all about it. If not, you will sell it to someone on here who will put it to use. Enjoy your stay

BattleFurby
02-21-12, 17:29
Yeah the more i read around and the colts they seem the best for me for starting out and i was alittle ambitious for wanting a sbr at my level. Thanks for the help!

TehLlama
02-22-12, 02:29
Yeah the more i read around and the colts they seem the best for me for starting out and i was alittle ambitious for wanting a sbr at my level. Thanks for the help!

Ambition wasn't an issue - if you want to go that route, you're still on the right track.

Simply put, the easiest way to get there is to start off with a known quality 16" rifle (cough 6720 or 6920 cough), go the Form1 route to make that lower SBR ready, and then procure another upper for that weapon system. Simple, cost effective, and you'll have a training and defense tool in the interim.

Tzook
02-27-12, 13:26
An SBR may not necessarily be the wrong choice for you, but it's a lot more complex of an issue than many people understand. There certainly are things a short barrel can offer you that a 16" can't, but I think you ought to spend a ton of time here before you decide it's in your best interests, especially with the enormous amount of money involved for NFA stuff

J_Dub_503
02-27-12, 13:53
There's a lot of great advice in this thread. Every week or two it seems this same question pops up and the answers are routine. Most suggest a Colt *note the models mentioned above* and a carbine class. I strongly suggest you take that advice then go from there.

Most of these people have spent thousands of dollars on builds and accessories only to realize its not what they wanted. Once you learn the fundamentals of shooting an AR and and get some rounds down range then you'll start to feel what can be improved and why it needs to be. Once you can accurately express why one item might improve your shooting over the other then you'll be ready to start modifying the platform.