PDA

View Full Version : Daniel Defense or Spikes Tactical CHF Barrel

hmbeal
02-19-12, 16:39
I wondering about the CHF 16 LW model from DD and the optimum profile 16 from Spikes, the Spikes barrel would be $50 cheaper. Does anyone have any experience with these barrels, is one going to be better than the other or are they so close that it wouldn't matter. I'm also in the market for a BCG and would end up getting one from the same manufacture as the barrel if that makes any sense. I already have a Mega Arms billet lower with a DD parts kit installed and a Mega forged upper that I will be pairing the barrel and BCG up with. If it matters this is going on a rifle that will be a range gun but I would also like it to be a quality rifle in case it is ever needed to be a serious one. Thanks

buckjay
02-19-12, 16:48
Considering the Spikes CHF is made by FN I'd grab the Spikes. FN is known to make a really nice CHF barrel.

wahoo95
02-19-12, 17:33
Both are nice barrels. Get whichever you want as I doubt you'll notice any difference between the two.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

GeorgiaBoy
02-19-12, 18:06
Daniel. Defense.

Nightvisionary
02-19-12, 18:37
I have the standard LE barrel on my Spikes carbine so I have no first hand experience with their CHF but FN has been doing this for a looooong time so I myself would go with the Spikes/FN CHF barrel.

As far as the Spike's Tactical bolt, mine is currently doing double duty in my 5.56 carbine and my 6x45 upper. Thousands of rounds without a malfunction in two different calibers so Im quite pleased.

SomeOtherGuy
02-19-12, 20:37
I have a few rounds through a ST CHF FN-marked barrel and a bunch more rounds through a couple of DD CHF barrels. I don't think you're likely to find much difference outside of perhaps laboratory testing. That said I would probably go Daniel Defense just because I've found their customer service wonderful and I like that they make the barrels in-house. FN can certainly make outstanding barrels (CHF or otherwise) but the ST barrel is ultimately a subcontracted part with the interruption of quality control that might entail.

The one tangible difference I have found is that on two ST barrels, one CHF FN-marked and one generic LE, there is no recessed crown, just a flat cut across the end of the barrel. On the DD barrels there is a recessed crown. This is a small issue but it indicates attention to detail and might, under unlikely circumstances, help the DD maintain accuracy better.

Ratfink
02-19-12, 20:56
i have a spikes rifle and a daniel defense and my dd rifles are by a long shot more accurate

daniel defense all the way

buckjay
02-19-12, 22:10
i have a spikes rifle and a daniel defense and my dd rifles are by a long shot more accurate

Is it a CHF supplied by FN? Didn't think so.

GeorgiaBoy
02-19-12, 22:22
Is it a CHF supplied by FN? Didn't think so.

Is it CHF? Yes.

Is it 4150? Yes.

Is it chrome lined, 1/7 twist? Yes.

Is it HPT'd, then MPI'd? Yes.

What is with the FN obession lately? Everyone seems to be so enamored with the fact that PSA, Spikes, "BCM", ect. barrels are from FN. As if they are the ONLY decent producer of barrels. DD makes fine barrels as well.

Nightvisionary
02-19-12, 22:30

My Spikes is certainly accurate enough for a standard non free float carbine but I reload and certainly appreciate squeezing out extra accuracy wherever possible.

I have looked at the Noveske recon barrel but it's stainless so costs quite a bit more at $500+.

The DD and Spikes CHF barrels are more affordable. Can you tell me what kind of accuracy difference you are seeing with the Daniel Defense barrel over the Spikes?

hmbeal
02-19-12, 22:39
I guess to confuse myself even more I have found a non CHF Daniel Defense barrel in government profile for about $60 cheaper. The extra money is not an issue if it is worth it but I also don't believe in spending money if its not needed.

djmorris
02-20-12, 08:17
What is with the FN obession lately? Everyone seems to be so enamored with the fact that PSA, Spikes, "BCM", ect. barrels are from FN. As if they are the ONLY decent producer of barrels. DD makes fine barrels as well.

I'm pretty sure BCM uses DD barrels. People over on barfcom are just assuming BCM is using FN barrels, because.. well.. just because? I don't really care either way because both make an excellent product that's sure to please.

SomeOtherGuy
02-20-12, 08:20
I guess to confuse myself even more I have found a non CHF Daniel Defense barrel in government profile for about $60 cheaper. The extra money is not an issue if it is worth it but I also don't believe in spending money if its not needed.

Those are also excellent barrels. You may give up some life vs. CHF but for a "range gun" it isn't likely to matter.

jet80tv
02-20-12, 09:28
I have the spikes midlength chf that I got for $199 introductory price for the stripped barrel(I was going to send to adco to have FSB pinned on but slapped AA piston kit on as I wanted a total "self-build"). They first shipped a standard barrel but the funny thing was it was in wrap that had fn cage code on it, they(spikes)say fn dnt make their standard barrels. Anyway I finally received it finished the build and shot it side by side with my DD m4 carbine chf barrel and I can't tell the difference shooting off hand with two different gas systems and gas port distances.

hmbeal
02-20-12, 14:40
Double post sorry.

hmbeal
02-20-12, 14:49
Thanks to everyone who helped out here. I went ahead and placed my order today and am just giddy like a schoolgirl right now. In case anyone was wondering, this what i went with.

1.Daniel Defense CHF lightweight 16" barrel.

2.Daniel Defense BCG.

3.Daniel Defense low profile gas block clamp on style.

4.VLTOR BCM Mod 4 charge handle.

5.Troy VTAC 13" Alpha battle rail.

6. Mid-length gas tube, barrel nut, A-2 flash hider and crush washer.

This is all going on a Mega arms forged upper receiver I have and will be mated with a Mega Billet lower with a Daniel Defense lower parts kit and buffer tube with H-buffer already installed. If anyone notices anything that I may have missed please let me know so I can get it ordered. Thanks again for the help from the guys here and the guys at Rainier Arms.

SteadyUp
02-20-12, 16:39
I'm pretty sure BCM uses DD barrels. People over on barfcom are just assuming BCM is using FN barrels, because.. well.. just because? I don't really care either way because both make an excellent product that's sure to please.

Just curious, can you post a link that gives proof of who makes the barrels for BCM?

Not trying to bust your balls, but it's really best if people don't post what they *think* to be fact, but the actual fact itself. Nothing wrong with saying you don't know, but I always thought that this site was driven towards hard data, not speculation.

Again, not an attack at you, just an observation.

justin_247
02-21-12, 05:39
Spike's has used CHF barrels from both DD and FN. Originally, all of Spike's CHF barrels were from DD. Only more recently have they transitioned to the custom FN barrels.

If you get an older Spike's CHF URG, most likely it'll have a DD barrel. If you get one of the newer "ST Elite" URGs, you'll get an FN barrel.

djmorris
02-21-12, 08:36
Just curious, can you post a link that gives proof of who makes the barrels for BCM?

Not trying to bust your balls, but it's really best if people don't post what they *think* to be fact, but the actual fact itself. Nothing wrong with saying you don't know, but I always thought that this site was driven towards hard data, not speculation.

Again, not an attack at you, just an observation.

I was not trying to state it as a fact. I apologize if that's how my post came across because I'm not trying to spread unverified or incorrect information. I do not claim to be an expert. I'm saying that it is my belief that BCM is using Daniel Defense barrels or have in the past. I draw this conclusion not from a link or article but rather from my experiences and credible sources on this forum. I could have sworn that BCM provided the information on them using DD barrels at some point. I'd like to know for sure either way.

OP, you made some fine choices for hardware. What about sights, though? I'm currently running LMT's rear adjustable sights and I highly recommend them. You can get them from botachtactical.com for $50, or $70 for front/rear (!!!).. The rear alone usually go for $120. Of course, since your rifle is primarily DD you may want to just go with their irons for completions sake.

13MPG
02-21-12, 09:17
While FN does produce barrels for several different companies, the devil is in the details that each individual company specifies…

As far as the birthplace of BCM CHF barrels goes, the information is out there, or at least was at one point.

Striker
02-21-12, 10:41
Is it CHF? Yes.

Is it 4150? Yes.

Is it chrome lined, 1/7 twist? Yes.

Is it HPT'd, then MPI'd? Yes.

It's not an obsession with FN barrels; it's more that FN makes a great barrel and with PSA and Spikes sourcing from them, it shows they want to play on the level of the better companies like DD etc. Not saying they're there yet, not saying they're not either because not enough time has passed and not enough rifles are out there to know, just saying it's a step towards being a company that makes a legitimate defense or duty product. I don't think anyone would dispute that DD's CHF barrels are very nice.

BCM does not use DD barrels. Paul made that clear in thread on another site. They never have used them.

jonconsiglio
02-21-12, 10:45
While FN does produce barrels for several different companies, the devil is in the details that each individual company specifies…

As far as the birthplace of BCM CHF barrels goes, the information is out there, or at least was at one point.

That's just it. You can have three companies using a barrel from the same manufacturer, but each may be quite different.

djmorris
02-21-12, 11:40
That's just it. You can have three companies using a barrel from the same manufacturer, but each may be quite different.

Is a Noveske CHF truly built or tested to a better/higher specification than say... the mentioned Spikes CHF? This makes sense to me whereas I see others saying all FN CHF are built equally meaning spikes CHF = Noveske CHF = PSA CHF, etc. :confused:

13MPG
02-21-12, 12:07
Is a Noveske CHF truly built or tested to a better/higher specification than say... the mentioned Spikes CHF? This makes sense to me whereas I see others saying all FN CHF are built equally meaning spikes CHF = Noveske CHF = PSA CHF, etc. :confused:

Who knows what’s really in the secret sauce.

Any of the barrels from FN should be solid performers, but to say that the PSA barrel is the same as the one that Noveske specs out would not make sense. Think about all the barrel knowledge that Noveske has. Does Spikes/PSA have the same background?

Sanpete
02-21-12, 12:12
I was not trying to state it as a fact. I apologize if that's how my post came across because I'm not trying to spread unverified or incorrect information. I do not claim to be an expert. I'm saying that it is my belief that BCM is using Daniel Defense barrels or have in the past. I draw this conclusion not from a link or article but rather from my experiences and credible sources on this forum. I could have sworn that BCM provided the information on them using DD barrels at some point. I'd like to know for sure either way.

Having owned and/or used a number of both, I'm fairly confident BCM HF barrels are not DD. DD barrels are all phosphated differently, the chroming is different, and DD uses too-short FSB pins on their FSB while BCM uses pins that provide adequate length on each side of the FSB.

Not exactly concrete evidence :), but there are enough differences there that wouldn't make sense to switch back and forth between.

Striker
02-21-12, 12:19
Who knows what’s really in the secret sauce.

Any of the barrels from FN should be solid performers, but to say that the PSA barrel is the same as the one that Noveske specs out would not make sense. Think about all the barrel knowledge that Noveske has. Does Spikes/PSA have the same background?

How do you know? It's possible that Spikes and or PSA hired someone specifically to bring their line of weapons up to the, and I'll use your example, Noveske level. In this case, the answer would be yes.

Spikes and PSA will or won't prove themselves out eventually. But eventually isn't today and isn't tomorrow. It's a few years and a lot of rifles down the line.

13MPG
02-21-12, 12:33
How do you know? It's possible that Spikes and or PSA hired someone specifically to bring their line of weapons up to the, and I'll use your example, Noveske level. In this case, the answer would be yes.

Spikes and PSA will or won't prove themselves out eventually. But eventually isn't today and isn't tomorrow. It's a few years and a lot of rifles down the line.

lol, So you feel that the barrel making knowledge is the same across the field then?

I dont think anyone said the FN sourced PSA/Spikes barrels were junk.

Striker
02-21-12, 15:46
lol, So you feel that the barrel making knowledge is the same across the field then?

I dont think anyone said the FN sourced PSA/Spikes barrels were junk.

Hahaha. No sir, more I was allowing for the possibility that PSA and or Spikes hired someone with some knowledge. I honestly don't know how the barrels compare or whether there is or isn't a difference. I'm waiting to see how the two newer companies work out the bugs they may have at this point. As I've said in other threads, DD didn't become DD overnight. It takes time and I'm interested to see if both companies will go the DD or BCM route over time. It's obviously a more arduous journey than taking the route of whomever that doesn't even attempt to make defense grade weapons, but both Spikes and PSA seem to be trying.

Also, I didn't mean any disrespect towards you. If it came off that way, I apologize.

Moltke
02-21-12, 16:25
First,

Spikes and PSA seem to be trying.

They both seem to be trying. Good for them. If they become the next Bravo Company or Daniel Defense then great for them!

BUT, ... they're not there yet.

Spike's and PSA haven't proven themselves which is something only time will show. Even though there are those who will tell you they're every bit as good as everyone else, it has yet to be seen. I don't THINK they make JUNK, but I also don't KNOW they make QUALITY.

--------------------

Second,

What sets barrels apart? The materials used. The manufacturing processes. The process conrols. The testing performed. Who's using the best material, who's got the most effective process, who's controls are more stringent, and who's got more rigorous testing?

Obviously you can't just say that all barrels are equal, or that all CHF barrels are equal, or that all stainless barrels are equal. We know that not to be true for other parts, why would it be true here?

Someone's is better and someone's is worse unless they're all sourced the same. By what measure is it better or worse, and is that difference going to ever matter to an end user?

Moltke
02-21-12, 16:37
Hello

Is 70 percent in the round not the rifle.

What?

Casull
02-21-12, 17:50
Ohh, ohh! I know!!! :D pick me pick me!

Casull
02-21-12, 17:53
Sorry, had to do that.

Spike's does do a melonite treatment and such which is unlike others (in that it's fairly distinct). I would suppose the conditions the barrels are in when shipped to the different manufacturers differs. In other words, the chome lining and finish of the barrels is not done at FN for Spikes, but may be done for other companies otherwise. Is this a fair assumption?

Just here to learn.

hmbeal
02-21-12, 18:15
djmorris,

Not to bring this of topic now but I going with TROY folding Battlesights. I already have them but forgot to post it. I am going to run an optic on this rifle but haven't decided what to do with so thats still up in the air.

SicSemper
02-21-12, 19:41
BOOooo

GeorgiaBoy
02-21-12, 19:52
It's not an obsession with FN barrels; it's more that FN makes a great barrel and with PSA and Spikes sourcing from them, it shows they want to play on the level of the better companies like DD etc. Not saying they're there yet, not saying they're not either because not enough time has passed and not enough rifles are out there to know, just saying it's a step towards being a company that makes a legitimate defense or duty product. I don't think anyone would dispute that DD's CHF barrels are very nice.

I know its not necessarily an "obsession", just that it seems that "FN" has become the new "milspec" for AR's. The fact that a companies barrel is made by FN seems to be a big advertising point recently. I think its more over hyped than anything. Just because FN makes it doesn't necessarily mean its true FN-grade quality. They will make it to the specs of how the customer wants it.

Striker
02-21-12, 22:07
I know its not necessarily an "obsession", just that it seems that "FN" has become the new "milspec" for AR's. The fact that a companies barrel is made by FN seems to be a big advertising point recently. I think its more over hyped than anything. Just because FN makes it doesn't necessarily mean its true FN-grade quality. They will make it to the specs of how the customer wants it.

I think it is a selling point though. Like a DD CHF barrel, you're starting from a certain quality point. Also, it presents an opportunity for some to buy a barrel that may not have previously been affordable to them. Not a bad thing. As the discussion above, it's hard to say what happens after that and it's going to be awhile before we know.

TehLlama
02-21-12, 22:27
Thanks to everyone who helped out here. I went ahead and placed my order today and am just giddy like a schoolgirl right now. In case anyone was wondering, this what i went with.

1.Daniel Defense CHF lightweight 16" barrel.

2.Daniel Defense BCG.

3.Daniel Defense low profile gas block clamp on style.

4.VLTOR BCM Mod 4 charge handle.

5.Troy VTAC 13" Alpha battle rail.

6. Mid-length gas tube, barrel nut, A-2 flash hider and crush washer.

This is all going on a Mega arms forged upper receiver I have and will be mated with a Mega Billet lower with a Daniel Defense lower parts kit and buffer tube with H-buffer already installed. I anyone notices anything that I may have missed please let me know so I can get it order. Thanks again for the help from the guys here and the guys at Rainier Arms.

All that, from Rainier Arms - you did good!

hmbeal
03-10-12, 20:34
Finished the build and was able to take it out and run it for the first time. Wasn't much of a day but was able to run 60 flawless rounds threw her. I know this isn't much of a test yet but being this is my first build I was more than happy the rifle functioned perfectly. As a matter of fact my wife was so impressed with it that when we got home we placed a order for a Rainer Arms upper, Rainer Arms Zombie lower, Daniel Defense BCG, and Daniel Defense LW CHF 16" barrel for her. This was her first time firing a rifle and she loved it and is excited to start building her own rifle. I will be updating with pics in the Custom build forum when I finally get around to it but just wanted to share this.