PDA

View Full Version : So how does CMMG rate nowdays?

a1fabweld
02-19-12, 20:34
I've had a few CMMG home builds over the years & they have served me well. I sold one of them a while back & the current owner loves it. It has yet to perform less than 100%. Same as my current. These are not battlefield results, nor an I claiming they are indestructible.

I see they now offer HF barrels. Any feedback on them? I know their bolts are not individually tested & a bolt upgrade is a good idea. Both my CMMG carriers seem to be to spec though. Thanks for your feedback.

lethal dose
02-19-12, 20:47
A quick referencing of the chart shows that they are 100% overpriced trash.

a1fabweld
02-19-12, 20:52
You know, I looked at the chart & it seemed to rate pretty decent. Barrel specs looked correct, bolt head didn't have anything to write home about. Am I seeing something you're not? Add an upgraded $50 MPI/HPI bolt & it seems to rate right up there with the good ones? Seems like a great alternative to the top notch uppers?

DeltaSierra
02-19-12, 20:56

Really? But Bubba at the local Tactical Gun Shoppe said....

I would have thought that prior to starting a thread like this, a quick check with the Chart would have been in order, but what do I know....?

lethal dose
02-19-12, 21:05
Emphasis on overpriced. Grant sells complete colt uppers for $550.

Tzook
02-19-12, 21:20
FWIW, I put 5 or 6k rounds through my first upper, which was a CMMG and I never had a problem. It grouped pretty nicely too.

But, the previous posters are right. For the money, you might as well buy a Colt or one of the other good brands,they really aren't much more expensive, if not the same price....

a1fabweld
02-19-12, 21:46
Deltasierra, you ran off at the mouth about what junk CMMG is but never answered my question. Are they a decent alternative? In the upcoming months, when election time nears, Colt, DD, BCM & all the other holy grail companies will likely be sold out. At that point, other brands may be available.

Has anyone had any nasty experiences recently with their products? I've heard their CS can been hit or miss. My experiences have been good.

Yes, I agree, for the money one could do better. That's not the question. I'm not claiming to be an armorer or anything at all. I'm just asking a simple question. If anyone cares to respond, please answer it with facts vs. talking shit. I'm not intersted in competing in the cool guy AR contest.

Thanks Tzook for your response.

BTW, I own BCM uppers, DD's, a Noveske, a WOA based upper, & a CMMG. I like them all. Just splitting hairs here. I'm not knocking your favorite brand.

Tzook
02-19-12, 21:51
Deltasierra, you ran off at the mouth about what junk CMMG is but never answered my question. Are they a decent alternative? In the upcoming months, when election time nears, Colt, DD, BCM & all the other holy grail companies will likely be sold out. At that point, other brands may be available.

Has anyone had any nasty experiences recently with their products? I've heard their CS can been hit or miss. My experiences have been good.

Yes, I agree, for the money one could do better. That's not the question. I'm not claiming to be an armorer or anything at all. I'm just asking a simple question. If anyone cares to respond, please answer it with facts vs. talking shit. I'm not intersted in competing in the cool guy AR contest.

Thanks Tzook for your response.

BTW, I own BCM uppers, DD's, a Noveske, a WOA based upper, & a CMMG. I like them all. Just splitting hairs here. I'm not knocking your favorite brand.

You bet. Now that I think about it a little harder, I do remember the finish didn't look that great. (Not that that's ever very important..) It didn't seem like it was parkerized quite like the lower I mated it with. I didn't have one of the more expensive uppers CMMG makes either, I just had one of the cheap bargain bin uppers they offered at the time. Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't take it to war or anything, but for just messing around and maybe a class or two, you could definitely do a whole lot worse....

Iraqgunz
02-19-12, 23:47
By all means spend your money and support trash companies. Who cares about the elections or some perceived shortage? Are guns going to be outlawed afterwords.?

Javelin
02-19-12, 23:50
By all means spend your money and support trash companies. Who cares about the elections or some perceived shortage? Are guns going to be outlawed afterwords.?

Some of these manufacturers would sure like you to think so. :D

a1fabweld
02-19-12, 23:54

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

a0cake
02-20-12, 00:09
I've only dealt with a couple CMMG's. The one CMMG that one of my colleagues foolishly bought without asking me first had a barrel that was a mess. The bore was ridiculously non-concentric with the barrel. It was so bad that it seemed like the drilled portion of the barrel was butted up all the way to one side with only a really thin wall between the rifling and the outside of the barrel. To make matters worse, the threads were way off too...a real trainwreck. I talked with ADCO about it...they said CMMG barrels are consistently the worst they see. Look elsewhere.

Biggy
02-20-12, 00:29
Proven known quality brand AR's have never been cheaper. If you really think your life will ever depend on the reliability and durability of your AR , save a little extra $ and buy a Colt, BCM, DD, Noveske or LMT. If your life will not depend on it, buy whatever you like. Also, just remember to use quality mags,ammo and keep it lubed.

Iraqgunz
02-20-12, 00:35
CMMG is a well known manufacturer of mediocre AR stuff. I am sure that if you used the search button, you will find enough to keep you going.

If you look at the barrel description it states- Each barrel is individually magnetic particle tested. Are they are also doing the HP portion as well? Without it, it's worthless.

Maybe CMMG has found a better supplier?

Look at their BCG's. No details and for the grand sum of 179.95 you get a semi-auto carrier which is about 30-40.00 more than a Daniel Defense, BCM or LMT, and is actually only a few dollars less than what Colt was selling theirs for.

http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/item/Bolt-and-Carrier-Assembly-184

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Bolt-Carrier-Group-MPI-Auto-M16-p/bcm%20bolt%20carrier%20group%20auto%20mp.htm

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1578

http://www.riflegear.com/showproduct.aspx?ProductID=865&SEName=daniel-defense-full-auto-bolt-carrier-group&variantid=1191

http://www.riflegear.com/p-623-lmt-full-auto-bolt-carrier-assembly-complete.aspx

The same goes for their buttstock kits, etc...

http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/item/Black-6-Position-Collapsible-Stock-Assembly-90

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/M4-Stock-Milspec-p/stock%20m4%20milspec%20black%20-%20gen2.htm

Who's stock kit and parts do you think I am going to trust? Company A with a shitty track record or companies B,C and D with good records?

DeltaSierra
02-20-12, 00:38

My, you're in a great mood tonight.

When asking a question, for which the answer should be obvious with little study, I would think you would act slightly more professional in your responses to the people that took the time to try to help you out.

twobanger
02-20-12, 00:47

Does that include their dedicated .22 uppers? I'm considering matching one with a plum crazy complete lower for a bit less than an M&P 15-22; but not if its going to cost more in the long run.

big b
02-20-12, 01:29
Does that include their dedicated .22 uppers? I'm considering matching one with a plum crazy complete lower for a bit less than an M&P 15-22; but not if its going to cost more in the long run.

I have one of their .22 uppers and I have been very happy with it. I got it for a good price and it does it's job for range fun and as a training analog.

This is obviously just a sample of one....

a1fabweld
02-20-12, 04:50
My, you're in a great mood tonight.

When asking a question, for which the answer should be obvious with little study, I would think you would act slightly more professional in your responses to the people that took the time to try to help you out.

Oh, I see, professional. Professional like this comment of yours earlier: "Really? But Bubba at the local Tactical Gun Shoppe said....

I would have thought that prior to starting a thread like this, a quick check with the Chart would have been in order, but what do I know....?"

Just checking.:rolleyes: I can play smart ass just like the next guy can friend.

So for the folks who say I should take the time & reference "The Chart", I did before I started this thread. I referenced this chart: https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_US&hl=en_US&key=0AqmgMm61Ok7WdExwaG16OENzOEZ1akp2a3Y2NjMxTEE&single=true&gid=2&output=html.

Like I mentioned earlier, in reference to upper assemblies, the chart states that the bolt head isn't to spec & the handguard has single heat shields, but everything else about the upper seems to spec out the same as the higher brands. Am I seeing something the rest of you aren't? If there is some hidden info that only the Illuminati knows about in the chart, shouldn't the higher ups add a side note that states something to the effect of "Although CMMG barrels & uppers rate just as well technically as the TOP TIER brands, they should be avoided like the plague because they are a piece of crap company who makes garbage". Wouldn't that be a service to those which the chart was created for in the first place?

Around the last obama elections, after all the top rated AR companies were sold out & on eternal backorder, I still had friends asking me which uppers are the best of those that are still available. Some folks didn't want to wait a year until backorders were filled. I was asked many times what's the best upper of the brands still available. It's a legitimate question. This is likely to happen again in the coming months.

Iraqgunz
02-20-12, 05:44
Apparently you didn't read my post above. If you want to pay more for less, do so by all means. If you want to join the other "gun ban panickers" then go for it.