PDA

View Full Version : Light noob looking for a weaponlight. Help!

Tzook
02-19-12, 23:00
Well guys, I'm looking to get a weapon light for my AR. I've been looking at some of the Surefire M951 kits on Ebay and EE and the like for around 150, which is going to be about the top of my budget. Are there better options out there for that or less?

I'd think my biggest wants/concerns are battery life. I'd rather have something that lasts a little longer than something that is extremely, extremely bright. Am I dumb for thinking this?

And thanks in advance for your suggestions, I figured it would be best to differ to the experts before jumping into a purchase that I have virtually no knowledge of.

leadsender
02-19-12, 23:35
Sure-Fire just came out with an updated x300 that puts outs out 500 lumens which slaughters the old, it's prolly a little much for what your looking for but on the " bright side" dealers are dropping the price of the old one to clear out for the newer version. I picked up an older one at sportsmans warehouse brand new for $159 a few months back, a lot better than the $249 of the original price. I also got a nice deal on a streamlight TLR-2 for $180 from impact guns brand new but the box was tore up. So there's deals out there if your looking for gun specific lights. Or you could always part together your own light from parts and use a mount on your gun, if you want to go that route check out candlepowerforums and I'm sure you'll find what your looking for there.

Tzook
02-19-12, 23:46
Oh, I really am an idiot.... I hadn't even considered the traditionally pistol mounted lights, I guess those would work just fine. I do like the option of all different mounts and pressure switch configurations though...

ucrt
02-19-12, 23:48

I have a couple of SureFire 6P's with Malkoff's Drop-In LED's. You can get a variety of Malkoff lamps from wide angle to low output to 250+ lumens.

I've got them mounted on the FSB with GG&G SlicThings and use Weaver low 1" scope rings to hold the light in place. A couple of makers sell the Weaver rings for this purpose for $20 each.

I have 3000+ rounds with the light mounted without an issue, although have only about 200 rounds with the light mounted and on.

You could probably get everything for <$150.

But maybe it's just me...

JSantoro
02-20-12, 09:14
Generally a good idea to check the stickies at the top of any subforum. They either just-plain-ole answer a lot of general questions, and can definitely help narrow a general question into a specific focused one that MAY rate starting a new thread.

LOTS of examples in this one, to include the whys and wherefores behind what led folks to their decisions.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=22625