PDA

View Full Version : newbie here

bowtie-till-i-die
02-20-12, 10:47
Just wanted to say hello, I am recently out of the military living in Virginia. Just bought my first AR, its a DPMS 16 in flat top and Id like to upgrade the rail cus the one thats on there looks cheap. Im lookin at magpul stock, grip, and BAD lever. other than that does any1 have any advice on changing out the front rail system? who make a nice set up? thanx

Wake27
02-20-12, 11:15
There's like 8 billion of these threads a day. Take a look around the forums and you'll get your answer much faster than waiting for people to respond. What service and where in VA?

MrSmitty
02-20-12, 11:19
This will probably be shut down pretty quick...

As a recent newbie, my advice is to read, read, read, and then read some more. When the same question gets asked here by new members over and over and over again, it gets old. There is a wealth of information already posted on this site, use it to your advantage.

To answer your question, Daniel Defense, Larue, and Centurion all make some quality rail systems.

polymorpheous
02-20-12, 11:22
Sell the DPMS and get an in-spec rifle.

blackgt85
02-20-12, 16:30
Sell the DPMS and get an in-spec rifle.

I couldn't agree more.

Todd00000
02-20-12, 17:48
What I said in here:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=99630

citizensoldier16
02-20-12, 20:53
Welcome to being the FNG. NO love here for your DPMS...read The Chart. Type like an adult and you'll receive much less flaming. Your first post looks like a 13 year old's text message.

My advice? 1) STOP posting. 2) Read ALL the stickies. Then decide if this is the place for you or not. 3) Unload the DPMS...and the Hi-Point pistol you probably have too. If you served in the .mil, you'd know that DPMS is crap.

DeltaSierra
02-20-12, 21:04
If you served in the .mil, you'd know that DPMS is crap.

And your point is....?

lethal dose
02-20-12, 21:20
Actually, most people who serve in the military don't know anything about the AR platform... including infantry. That's a moot point, though. Anyhow...welcome. As was suggested, I'd sell the dpms, and now (tax return season) is the time to do it. Take that money and buy a colt 6920 from http://www.grtactical.com

Wake27
02-20-12, 22:10
Actually, most people who serve in the military don't know anything about the AR platform... including infantry. That's a moot point, though. Anyhow...welcome. As was suggested, I'd sell the dpms, and now (tax return season) is the time to do it. Take that money and buy a colt 6920 from http://www.grtactical.com

I was about to say the same thing. They especially don't know a damn thing about the different manufacturers and their quality.

C4IGrant
02-20-12, 22:15
Hello and welcome to the forum!

Don't put a single dollar into the DPMS. Just read the forum and buy ammo/training.

C4

JSantoro
02-21-12, 08:52
All right, some scoop for the peanut gallery. Some may note some deleted posts, here.

Here's why....

If a thread like this appears, there is a natural, completely understandable, burning desire to post something snarky and sarcastic. Now, it should be no surprise to anybody that's been around a bit that I and many other moderators have met Snarky and Sarcastic, and have welcomed them into our households. Close companions, confidants, henchmen, Merry Men.

However, comma, when we pull them out and set them loose, it is in the process of pointing somebody to an information source or method of finding information that is meant to ultimately help them out. NOT just to sound off and bray like a jackass, simply because we can. Also unsuprisingly, there will be...different interpretations of that...depending upon whether the recipient is one of those that ignores the message because they don't like the medium in which it is delivered.

The Point? If you think that, because you've been around M4C for, like, 6 seconds, that you can make some other, only slightly newer member pay a toll without handing him something back for his trouble....think again.

The folks who's posts stand may have injected some sarcasm, but they ALSO took a moment and a touch of effort to add potentialy helpful info.

If you served in the .mil, you'd know that DPMS is crap.
....and THIS is such a ridiculous, preposterous claim that it took me a moment or three to realize I was actually seeing it. Seriously, wow.

Bowtie, as others have said, take some time to look about the stickied threads at the top of the AR/M4 subforums, particularly the ones titled "Knoweledge Base Threads" in AR GD and AR Technical. They answer a lot of the most baseline questions, or will at least help you to refine and narrow some questions that may exist in your mind so that you can add them to the discussions. Don't hesitate to ping some of our more senior members or members of the moderator staff directly via Private Message if you're having trouble finding things using the Search buttons.