PDA

View Full Version : LEO Forum - Rules for Admission

USMC03
12-23-07, 17:09
For access to the LEO Forum (private forum), a member must have a minimum of 30 productive posts and be a:

1) full time,

2) sworn,

3) law enforcement officer,

4)currently working for a Federal, State, County, or Municipal LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY.

For access to the LEO Forum email a scanned copy or photocopy of your:

1) Badge

2) Agency / Department Identification Card

3) On Department Letterhead

In the email with a copy of your Badge / ID Card / Letterhead, please add the following information:

1) Your rank

2) Assignment (ie. Sergeant - 2nd shift Patrol, Detective - Investigations Bureau, Federal Agent - Any City Metro Gang Task Force, etc.)

3) Your M4Carbine screen name

Send the email for request to one of the following Moderators: mark5pt56: marktiedemann@cox.net, or Buck: buck.mossie@gmail.com .

When you email your department credentials please include your M4Carbine.net screen name so your account can be granted access to the LEO only forum.

Retired / Medically Retired law enforcement officers who meet the above requirements and retired under honorable conditions also qualify for access to the LEO only forum. Retried LEO members will be granted access on a case by case basis. When you email your credentials please add a brief description of the conditions under which you retired.

Thank you,
M4Carbine.net Staff

USMC03
05-02-08, 09:31
All,

Recently I have been flooded by requests for access to the LEO Only Forum from members who either don't qualify or qualify but don't provide the proper credentials or information.

Listed above are the rules for access into the LEO Only Forum.

You either meet *all* the requirements or you don't. If you don't meet *all* of the requirements please ***don't ask for a waiver or special permission to the LEO Only forum.***

If you meet *all* the requirements and want access to the LEO Only Forum, please provide *all* of the information required above.

Everyone who has been given access to the LEO Only Forum has met the requirements listed above and have submitted *all* of the information required for access.

The rules listed above were set in place to ensure that we could maintain the integrity of the private forum and protect the personal security of the members of the private forum.

Thank you,
M4Carbine.net Staff

JSandi
02-02-09, 02:15
The request for letterhead is a bit much around some larger departments such as mine. The only place which uses it is the Chiefs Office and HR, neither of which will give out blank copies or allow me to make a photo copy of my badge/creds on it, so now what...
:confused:

USMC03
02-02-09, 22:17
Letterhead can be any official department document. Most faxes are done on some kind of Department Letterhead. Narcotics / Investigations / CSI - due to the nature of their work, they are constantly using some type of official letterhead for request for information from other agencies, etc.

Everyone who has requested accessess into the LEO only forum has followed the rules posted above, and submitted all of the information outlined above.

The LEO only forum is a private forum. The rules for admission into the LEO only forum were agreed upon by the Staff / Moderators and set in place before the LEO Only forum went live. The rules were developed as a way to ensure the integrity of the private forum and to protect the personal security of the members posting in the LEO only forum.

No one is forcing you to join the LEO only forum, there is no pressure to join. If you would like to participate, please follow the rules posted above.

Thank you,
Jeff

PA PATRIOT
07-26-09, 19:52
Its your house and rules and I respect that but the section may lose highly qualified officers because they are restricted by department rules on release of such information. As you wish to know who I am, I have no clue who your are or how my information would be stored or used even if I was allowed to release it under department regulations. Hopefully some other form of verification will suffice as I would like to contribute to your forum.

USMC03
07-27-09, 10:43
Its your house and rules and I respect that but the section may lose highly qualified officers because they are restricted by department rules on release of such information. As you wish to know who I am, I have no clue who your are or how my information would be stored or used even if I was allowed to release it under department regulations. Hopefully some other form of verification will suffice as I would like to contribute to your forum.

On 07-26-09 at 3:30pm, I replied to your email. My reply:

Rules are listed here:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=9970

All who have been granted access have complied with the rules listed above.

Take care and be safe

S/F,
Jeff

From the 2nd post in this thread:
*************************************************************************************************************************************************
All,

Recently I have been flooded by requests for access to the LEO Only Forum from members who either don't qualify or qualify but don't provide the proper credentials or information.

Listed above are the rules for access into the LEO Only Forum.

You either meet *all* the requirements or you don't. If you don't meet *all* of the requirements please ***don't ask for a waiver or special permission to the LEO Only forum.***

If you meet *all* the requirements and want access to the LEO Only Forum, please provide *all* of the information required above.

Everyone who has been given access to the LEO Only Forum has met the requirements listed above and have submitted *all* of the information required for access.

The rules listed above were set in place to ensure that we could maintain the integrity of the private forum and protect the personal security of the members of the private forum.

Thank you,
M4Carbine.net Staff
*****************************************************************************************************************************************************

The rules were set in place from day 1. The rules and requirements are a standard that everyone in the LEO only forum has met prior to being given access.

All of the LEO Forum Moderators are full time sworn police officers and the info required above is deleted after it is reviewed.

It would not be fair to the members of the LEO Only forum who have already met the standards and supplied the information above if we started making exceptions for new members.

A member wanting access into the LEO Only forum either meets all of the requirements listed above and provides all the information above or access will not be granted.

Thank you

S/F,
Jeff

30in1
08-11-09, 17:03
I can send picture of badge and credentials. Also provide other info. But what do you want on letterhead? I am just a patrol officer on the beat. Not anybody that has regular access to department letterhead for optional extra-caricular activities.

kalikraven
08-11-09, 17:21
I second that. My dept treats it's letterhead like a restricted item. I do however have my ID and Badge, you could call my agency and ask them if I work there by running my Emp ID number, or I could send you an email from my agency account... but the letterhead is hard to do.

30in1
08-11-09, 17:53
Yeah.....letterhead makes them think you are going to buy something in their name, support something in their name, or somehow obligate them to something and open them up to liability.

When I worked for a 20 man department it was easy to get. Now that I work for a major city with 1400 officers, no way.

i303
09-01-09, 10:09
I'm more than willing to abide by the requirements and I concur with the concerns of using a department letterhead. My agency may not look kindly to using a letterhead for a forum. I'm sure I can explain my side but I am sending it to the unknown black hole of the intra-web and I'm concerned that they can come back and get me for improper use of a letterhead.

I'm not all too sure what are the restrictions on using my department letterhead but when I asked around what exactly we use for a letterhead as opposed a memorandum, I started to get a few questions and concerned looks trying to explain.

But I do have a valid suggestion and that in lieu of an agency letterhead use a department email account. My agency is not as restrictive on me using that and it can be used to email copies of creds and badge. Besides someone who is not LE can get access to creds and a badge and make a letterhead. Sounds more secure and easily verifiable to use department email account when it shows John.Doe@verifiablepd.gov as opposed to d0nutlvr69@hotmail.com.

TMMT
10-04-09, 18:35
I got an idea, let us email you a copy of our business card and you just call the department and have them confirm our employment?

wicked_police
10-05-09, 00:35
Funny how after post #6 with USMC03 explaining things again, there are five more posts inquiring about the requirements being so 'restrictive', or offering other ideas to get around the current requirements......

30in1
10-05-09, 08:31
Funny how after post #6 with USMC03 explaining things again, there are five more posts inquiring about the requirements being so 'restrictive', or offering other ideas to get around the current requirements......

I am glad you find it amusing that some of your fellow officers would like to participate in the forum, but are unable to do so because they have departments that will not let them comply with the terms.

Yeah, it's real "funny".

wicked_police
10-05-09, 16:03
I am glad you find it amusing that some of your fellow officers would like to participate in the forum, but are unable to do so because they have departments that will not let them comply with the terms.

Yeah, it's real "funny".

It's unfortunate you misunderstood me. I do not find it funny or amusing that other fellow officers cannot participate in the forum.

And funny may have been the wrong word to use. Maybe perplexing is better.

Here we are, supposed to enforce the laws and rules, and after the rules are posted, more than once, there are some suggesting ways around them, or questioning their need to be so restrictive.
Yeah, I think perplexing is a good word.

I feel very fortunate to be able to participate in all parts of this forum. I've gotten a ton of exceptional info, and made a friend or 2.

And I want to thank the mods and admins for having this place, and letting me be a part of it.

Turnkey11
10-14-09, 08:40
Only time I get a badge is when I work OP or go on a med trip. Everything else I can supply.

JRI
12-01-09, 14:51
I fully understand and have no problem with establishing "rules" for access to the forum.

However:

For access to the LEO Forum email a scanned copy or photocopy of your:

1) Badge
2) Agency / Department Identification Card
3) On Department Letterhead

In the email with a copy of your Badge / ID Card / Letterhead, please add the following information:

1) Your rank
2) Assignment (ie. Sergeant - 2nd shift Patrol, Detective - Investigations Bureau, Federal Agent - Any City Metro Gang Task Force, etc.)
3) Your M4Carbine screen name

Every single one of the above requirements can be met with the use of a copy machine, color printer and adobe photo shop. I would bet the resulting "credentials" could be made to appear more "official" than the real thing.

The best way to insure the integrity of the forum is to contact the department to validate employment and to contact the individual to confirm identity.

I agree with many of the posters above who have claimed problems with either making copies of credentials or gaining access to department letterheads.
Since 9-11, many departments have increased restrictions on the use of letterheads, patches and ID's.

I retired 10 years ago and was issued an ID card at that time. Now, in the days of Homeland Security, a credit card type of ID is issued. The only way I can obtain that card is to appear in person to have it made up. The Chief of Police, if he so chose to, can not authorize the card to be sent to me. If I am ever in the area I will stop by and have the new one issued but I don't see it happening in the near future.

My hole point is that while the rules may be good there is nothing wrong with changing them if some guys are having legitimate problems complying with them.
If the aim is to insure a LEO only forum a few phone calls would do it.

Just to be clear, I have no interest in joining this forum. I am simply throwing my .02 (maybe more like .25?) into the ring after reading the posts. Stay Safe.

DCR375
12-24-09, 20:47
Why the necessity for an LEO forum? Especially one that is "restricted"? I'm curious about this. I am not an LEO, but have trained a few in MTT schools in MOUT/CQB tactics, and have friends who are LEO's, but much like my thoughts on the Clinton AWB and mag cap restrictions that applied to "civilians" only, when you have laws and "rules" that are applicable to all but the police, you are sliding towards a police state.

Kentucky Cop
01-31-10, 14:28
For the questions as to why we need a "Restricted" LEO site. I don't want to discuss situations or tactics that have been used on me and or I have deployed on other criminals out in the open for everyone's mother to read. If I have a bad guy get the drop on me for whatever reason like hiding weapons, drugs, or semi- ambush attempts I want to share that with other LEO's. Again, not for the average Joe. Not saying you are one but that would mean that anybody can see what works and what doesn't.

For the guys that are having a letterhead issue, go to your Chief/Sheriff's office, tell his secretary what you are wanting to do (better yourself by becoming a part of the site) and have her type up the letterhead in less than a minute, fax it, and let her destroy the damn thing. Hell, if she's good like our, you just stand there while she does it and you never touch a thing. That easy folks. Go ask, I think you will be surprised if you present it correctly..

Good luck,

kjdoski
02-08-10, 17:05
I fully understand the restrictions on the LEO forum; sorry for the bonehead e-mail yesterday...

Regards,

Kevin

xpd54
02-09-10, 11:26
A little outside the box thinking here...if you want in to the LEO section, go get a copy of your personel file. Most, if not all, of us will have some sort of letter on letterhead from when you were hired. Use that as the background when you photocopy your badge/ID. Problem solved.

Just saying...

INTrooper4255
02-17-10, 22:36
Has anyting further been considered as far as the letter head. Just like some above, I can produce everything, EXCEPT for the letter head. I would probably have better luck getting a letter from the White House than the department letter head. If I even made a copy to send, I would say that I would get days off if they found out! Let me know.

Thanks!

NCPolice555
03-23-10, 20:48
Disregard my last I'll send a PM

Sabre07
04-10-10, 13:35
Pull a memo or directive from the bulletin board, lay a blank sheet over the critical stuff make a copy. SOP's, R&Regs, your last attaboy or goofus memo from the Chief...

jklaughrey
04-14-10, 21:08
Letterhead, hell my dept. doesn't even want me carrying ID. Well such is life when working NRC/GTF. Best of luck wish I could contribute, but perhaps some anonymity is a blessing.

The_Dude
04-16-10, 11:35
Sending a picture/fax of your badge, creds, dept letterhead along with your info/rank over the internet is just a bad idea. Doesn't matter who is on the other side, all that information can be intercepted and used against you. Is your career really worth getting into a chat room? Me thinks not.

An officer in New York was on trial for shooting a robber in an armed robbery. During the trial they brought up his myspace page and cited it saying he 'displayed traits unbecoming of an officer'. The entire trial was turned around and was focused on the cop from that point.

Mexican cartels now upped the bounty to $250,000 for the murder or capture of a fed agent. And you want to send your creds out over the internet?

just my .02

Riley~~~

ParkisMaximus
04-17-10, 18:43
is the LEO section only for law enforcement or are military allowed?

if not, is there a specific section for military?

ParkisMaximus
04-23-10, 19:10
so yea, i posted that question up about a week ago and no one has even responded. mods how bout you help out.

Stickman
04-24-10, 12:12
so yea, i posted that question up about a week ago and no one has even responded. mods how bout you help out.

Check out the first post in this thread, it gives all the information.

ParkisMaximus
04-25-10, 13:54
Check out the first post in this thread, it gives all the information.

it say federal there, and military is federal. ill make it a lil simpler, are military police allowed in the LEO section.

now stickman, if you read a lil more in depth you will see another question posted, about a military section, that question wasnt answered in the first post.

USMC03
04-26-10, 09:47
It states Federal Law Enforcement Agency (ie. FBI, DEA, BATFE, Dept of Homeland Security, Border Patrol, etc)

apd268
05-12-10, 21:26
How long does it take to get a reply or the ability to get into the LEO forum. Sent my credentials about two weeks ago and havent heard anything. Could one of you Moderators PM me please?

MSP "Sarge"
05-12-10, 21:48
Never mind.

Chameleox
05-12-10, 21:51
it say federal there, and military is federal. ill make it a lil simpler, are military police allowed in the LEO section.

Now ParkisMaximus, your earlier post said nothing about military police. It said "military". You asked about "military", not "military police". Stickman's response is spot on, based on your question.

arcticwarrior
05-20-10, 18:49
I'm glad for those that agreed upon the terms prior to everything. My God, Policeone.com, Officer.com, and Caliber Press aren't as strict as this place for access. I understand that if I don't like it.......... It's just a huge turn off for this site is all I'm saying. Makes me lose interest like its a good ol' boys network inside of a good ol' boys network. We have enough of that crap in my own department. For a website that's not an LE site, you are just way to personal. :(

INTrooper4255
05-20-10, 19:58
I'm glad for those that agreed upon the terms prior to everything. My God, Policeone.com, Officer.com, and Caliber Press aren't as strict as this place for access. I understand that if I don't like it.......... It's just a huge turn off for this site is all I'm saying. Makes me lose interest like its a good ol' boys network inside of a good ol' boys network. We have enough of that crap in my own department. For a website that's not an LE site, you are just way to personal. :(

I couldn't agree more!

kalikraven
05-21-10, 09:57
I just have an issue with the Dept Letterhead.

NCPatrolAR
05-21-10, 10:02

And you'll find a much lower amount of BS here than you do on the sites you listed.

As has been pointed out; no one is forcing anyone to be a part of the LE forum here. If you dont like the admission standards, you dont have to apply.

arcticwarrior
05-21-10, 17:18
And you'll find a much lower amount of BS here than you do on the sites you listed.

As has been pointed out; no one is forcing anyone to be a part of the LE forum here. If you dont like the admission standards, you dont have to apply.

Very true sir. I just don't get the whole super secret squirrel thing though. I know certain safeguards are a must, but if I go ask for a letter or got caught using something on letterhead, I could wind up in trouble. Besides, it's a lot easier for myself or anyone else to forge a letterhead and just send in a copy of an ID and no one in here is gonna be the wiser. I know that doesn't sound right, but think about it. I watch what I type regardless, however; I don't need my dept. watching this site as well to monitor me. I would like to participate as much as the next copper. However; asking anyone to photocopy their dept. ID and send it in should be ample. Actually, it doesn't get much more anal that my departments policies and I do believe it's a violation of policy to photocopy my ID and send it off. I can only imagine the other departments out there. Out of curiosity, whats with taking a pic of your badge? I don't get that.

Please don't take this as me being an ass, I am just trying to understand here. Like myself, I am sure that there are a lot of good coppers that would have something of value to share or otherwise participate in. But it wold seem it's easier to get into a White House State Dinner without credentials than into this websites LE Forum.

Jason Weekley
02-16-12, 12:09
I don't have a problem with the department letterhead, but my department sure does. No one below Sgt has access to them.

Dave James
02-16-12, 13:57
Damn shame its not open to us retired guys,, but I can understand, rules don't appear to be out of bounds from what I have been invovled in on other forums, other than the letter head no a days

kmrtnsn
02-17-12, 01:15
I'm not sending letterhead. If having attended breakfast meetings with one of the mods before he retired who helped set this rule didn't cement my bona fides, it isn't worth jumping through the additional hoops to do so.

mikelowrey
08-17-12, 21:39
I am also interested in joining the LEO Forum but as others here, I have an issue with a Dept Letterhead. If some of you cant get it from a 1000's+ Officers on the dept, imagine myself which I belong to a dept with over 20,000 officers...

I definitely would love to join but I can just e-mail you a copy of my "pension" lol...

It would be nice if by just making a phone call we could verify ID's

DocHolliday01
08-18-12, 02:55
Mods, I sent the needed items to Buck and haven't been approved yet. I spoke with Buck about a couple months ago and he was very busy. Is there someone else that can contact him to verify I have sent him the needed items and grant me access?

kmrtnsn
08-18-12, 12:11
Mike and Doc, PMs sent.

Alaskapopo
08-18-12, 23:10
Why the necessity for an LEO forum? Especially one that is "restricted"? I'm curious about this. I am not an LEO, but have trained a few in MTT schools in MOUT/CQB tactics, and have friends who are LEO's, but much like my thoughts on the Clinton AWB and mag cap restrictions that applied to "civilians" only, when you have laws and "rules" that are applicable to all but the police, you are sliding towards a police state.

As others have said its an officer safety concern to be discussing tactics with people who could use them against us. This has nothing to do with gun control in the Clinton AWB.
Pat

.45fmjoe
09-19-12, 12:00
Has there been any change in the department letterhead part? I work for the largest federal LE agency in the country and if we have official letterhead, I haven't seen it. I certainly don't have access to it if we do have it.

SWATcop556
09-21-12, 11:17
I'll check into it.

jklaughrey
09-21-12, 11:20
I asked my sheriff and he told me to pound sand. Nice... career politician LEO.

kmrtnsn
09-21-12, 11:26
A simple email from a .gov or XXPD.org address should suffice. The process to buy hi-cap mags in CA is an easier and more user friendly process.

.45fmjoe
09-21-12, 14:00
A simple email from a .gov or XXPD.org address should suffice. The process to buy hi-cap mags in CA is an easier and more user friendly process.

I'm cool with the arf process, a legible picture of your badge & creds sent from your official e-mail address. Simple and secure.

INTrooper4255
09-21-12, 18:50
I'm cool with the arf process, a legible picture of your badge & creds sent from your official e-mail address. Simple and secure.

This would be nice, there isn't a snowballs chance in hell that my department would give me a letterhead to join!

DocHolliday01
09-22-12, 12:22
Mods, I emailed the required items to a Mod on 05-28-2012. I still have not been given access. What gives?

SWATcop556
09-22-12, 21:35
Guys I said I would check on this and I will. I understand that letterhead is an issue for some. I will talk to the more senior LE mods and see if there might be some wiggle room here. Complaining about it doesn't fix anything. Just be patient and ill look into it.

Doc, who did you send the info to?

DocHolliday01
09-24-12, 10:26
Guys I said I would check on this and I will. I understand that letterhead is an issue for some. I will talk to the more senior LE mods and see if there might be some wiggle room here. Complaining about it doesn't fix anything. Just be patient and ill look into it.

Doc, who did you send the info to?

SWATcop, I sent the info to Buck and he got back with me about a month afterwards saying that I should have access. I still do and haven't been able to get a hold of him since. I know he is busy so I was hoping someone else would be able to fix this.

chewie
09-24-12, 21:04
I emailed the required information months ago.

Turnkey11
09-24-12, 22:56
Theres a LEO forum?

xSentinel
09-25-12, 08:56
Just an idea, just thinking out loud here but ...
How about face to face? I mean this forum has members all over the country right? So if you have a member here that is already a legit verified LEO in say, Florida, then I can meet him for a cup of coffee and a doughnut, shoot the crap (pardon the pun) and show him all my IDs. Once he has talked to me and verified my status he can let you guys know that I am legit and then you can authorize me on his verification.

Or at the very least once you have 1 guy from a given department he can be the "verification guy" for his department. He should see other guys that he works with all the time. He knows if they are legit or not.

Just an idea. Face to face seems to be safer to me with modern printers and Photoshop anyways. Having an actual human being that can spot phony IDs physically look at the ID in question seems more accurate.

SWATcop556
09-30-12, 09:46
Guys due to some recent events there will be some changes in the LEO forum access and POC. I'll post back here as soon as I know more. Any questions please PM me and I'll see what I can do. Sorry for the inconvenience.

.45fmjoe
10-02-12, 10:53
Awesome, I look forward to the update.

chewie
10-03-12, 21:56
Guys due to some recent events there will be some changes in the LEO forum access and POC. I'll post back here as soon as I know more. Any questions please PM me and I'll see what I can do. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thank you. I'll be looking forward to your update.

Cuda444
10-04-12, 01:36
I emailed the required information months ago.

I'm in this boat as well. I emailed buck at the end of July and have not gotten a response or been granted access. Looking forward to the update. If nothing else but to know I didn't email my creds out to "no one" :confused:

SWATcop556
10-10-12, 21:47
Ok guys I've got the go ahead to work on some changes for the LE forum. I'm working on some stuff tonight and I'll have the new info posted ASAP.

Hopefully some improvements are on the way. For those who are waiting for approval please stand by and we will get you up and running soon.

SWATcop556
10-11-12, 17:20
Ok guys please see the new sticky regarding the LEO Forum. If you have sent the required info and have not been given access please follow the instructions in the new thread and I'll get you up and running ASAP.

I hope this helps everyone out and gets the ball rolling on some good things for our brothers and sisters in blue/brown/green.