PDA

View Full Version : cheap ammo and carbine gas v.s mid length gas, witch is more reliable?

nobody knows
02-20-12, 18:44
I haven't been able to find my question from a Google search,and wen try to use the orange search button on this sight it shuts my phone down, why I don't know but I can't use it. I just want to know witch gas system car v.s mid length is best for running underpowerd ammo. I know It's not best to use cheap ammo, but that's what I can afford to shoot in quantity. I would rather shoot a lot of cheap ammo then a few hundred rounds of mil spec ammo. I am wanting to run a 14.5 inch barrel on my main training upper and was thinking a carbine length gas system would be the most reliable out of the two for the cheap ammo. but don't have any proof of this just a thought. Anyone know of any hard evidence to support this? Or is it just the luck of the draw on weather a gun will run underpowered ammo? Thanks for any help I appreciate it.

VIP3R 237
02-20-12, 19:12
Logically the shorter gas system would allow more gas pressure to power the action when using underpowered ammo. another option is to get the upper you want and then experiment with different buffer weights.

nobody knows
02-20-12, 19:33
That's what I was thinking about the shorter gas system, never thought to try different buffer/spring waights with the mid length. thanks for the reply

TehLlama
02-20-12, 20:51
Low powered ammo is still low powered, and lube has more to do with it than people give it credit for.

Lowering the reciprocating weight helps (CAR buffer), but unless it's a pure plinking gun, I'd focus on function with your primary go-to ammunition, and view the rest as malfunction clearance practice.

nobody knows
02-20-12, 21:05
I understand where your coming from, but if the gun functions with the low powered cheap stuff then it will almost certainly function with xm193 m855. Unless there is something else causing the problems. This gun will be used for messing around on the range, but it will not be It's primary function. First and foremost it will be my SD/HD gun, but it will also be the gun I use most at training classes(because it will be my SD/HD gun) and I will be using cheap ammo. That's why I'm trying to find the most reliable setup to run cheap ammo. I may just be over thinking it, because every other AR I have had with the exception of one, would run cheap ammo as well as the hotter xm193 just fine. Anyway I appreciate your help thanks.

rob_s
02-21-12, 04:16
You are over-thinking it.

Even a mid-length, even a 14.5" mid-length can be made to run "cheap ammo". I have 850 rounds of steel-cased ammo through a 14.5" BCM mid-length with no cleaning and lube added at the 450 round mark.

That said, I also don't think the mid-length cures cancer the way some people will have you believing it does.

BGREID
02-21-12, 10:35
I have two mid length rifles, 16 inch barrels. They both run with Wolf although cleaning the chamber helps. I mostly prefer the mid length for the extra hand guard length, that and I just think they look more balanced with less barrel sticking out.

ST911
02-21-12, 10:44
A mid-length will generally be closer to functional threshold with lighter impulsed ammo than a carbine length gas system. For best results, use a standard carbine buffer, or nothing heavier than a H buffer (if that), and a GI spring.

There are more variables than this, but this is a start.

Moltke
02-21-12, 11:22
One is not inherently more reliable than the other. The gas system should be tuned to the combination of the weight of the bolt, the carrier, the buffer, the strength of spring, distance on barrel for the gas port and size of the gas port. Weak ammo will bring weak results if these things are not accounted for properly.

Eric D.
02-21-12, 12:08
This. Properly ported, both carbine and midlength gas systems will push the same amount of gas into the carrier.

One is not inherently more reliable than the other. The gas system should be tuned to the combination of the weight of the bolt, the carrier, the buffer, the strength of spring, distance on barrel for the gas port and size of the gas port. Weak ammo will bring weak results if these things are not accounted for properly.

PA PATRIOT
02-21-12, 18:39
I shoot cases of Wolf .223 55gr H/P's for training every year using a early 90's built Bushmaster M-4 clone with a standard USGI spring and carbine buffer without issue.

Bolt cycling and ejection are strong and this set up works very well for me but since it is said that most Bushmasters are over gassed if this condition exsists within my rifle it may be helping function with the weaker powered Wolf.

I also have about a half a case of Wolf through my new Adams Arms Mid-Length piston upper using a standard A2 lower with rifle buffer and spring. So far zero problems and 100% function.