PDA

View Full Version : New to AR's

LH2
12-23-07, 17:40
New member here. Have been a handgun and rimfire rifle guy until now.

Looking for an AR for fun, range time and home defense. Thinking 16" barrel and maybe mid-length A3 as I may add optics later on. Do you guys think a flattop with BUIS like the M&P 15T is a good choice if you don't plan to add optics right away?

A dealer who I like to work with can make good deals on Armalite, Stag, S&W and Sabre. I've looked at the chart and the threads it inspired and they make me think the Sabre is the way to go if I can swing the money. If I don't want to spend quite that much, S&W looks like a close second - is this fair to say?

There was a thread (by Grant I believe) not long ago here stating that Armalite has really turned their quality around to being solid again.

Honestly, in the interest of simplicity and inexpensive ammo, I'm also looking at a nice quality AK, such as Arsenal.

Input appreciated.

C4IGrant
12-23-07, 17:43
New member here. Have been a handgun and rimfire rifle guy until now.

Looking for an AR for fun, range time and home defense. Thinking 16" barrel and maybe mid-length A3 as I may add optics later on. Do you guys think a flattop with BUIS like the M&P 15T is a good choice if you don't plan to add optics right away?

A dealer who I like to work with can make good deals on Armalite, Stag, S&W and Sabre. I've looked at the chart and the threads it inspired and they make me think the Sabre is the way to go if I can swing the money. If I don't want to spend quite that much, S&W looks like a close second - is this fair to say?

There was a thread (by Grant I believe) not long ago here stating that Armalite has really turned their quality around to being solid again.

Honestly, in the interest of simplicity and inexpensive ammo, I'm also looking at a nice quality AK, such as Arsenal.

Input appreciated.

If you want a middy gas system (good choice), your options are limited. SD is most likely one of the best choices.

If you can wait a little bit, Daniel Defense is about to release some 16" barrels with Middy gas systems.

C4

BushmasterFanBoy
12-23-07, 17:44
I'd check out the thread about ADS rifles. Just search "ADS" and it should come up. They are supposed to be pretty good, especially at the price they are going for.

Rmplstlskn
12-23-07, 17:52

Input appreciated.

It's the AMMO COST and lack of availability that will hurt you the most...

I love AR's, but if I wasn't into them by starting to feed my BRD (Black Rifle Disease) over a decade ago, as well as buying bulk MILITARY SURPLUS ammo in the 1990's, I might not have jumped in, rather opting for the cheaper shoots, the AK's and combloc stuff.

Ammo is a killer right now.... with WOLF :eek: the only AFFORDABLE bulk ammo in the game... It makes me sit back and remember the good ol' days... like when I bought 10k of pristine IMI M193 and M855 for just over $1500. :(

Rmpl

LH2
12-23-07, 17:58
It's the AMMO COST and lack of availability that will hurt you the most...

I love AR's, but if I wasn't into them by starting to feed my BRD (Black Rifle Disease) over a decade ago, as well as buying bulk MILITARY SURPLUS ammo in the 1990's, I might not have jumped in, rather opting for the cheaper shoots, the AK's and combloc stuff.

Rmpl

And the cheap .223, steel-cased Wolf isn't really an option in an AR, is it? AFAIK, AK's eat it up.