PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts:

Phillykid
02-20-12, 22:10
Here is my dilemma: for my first AR

LMT CQB MRP- $1350 brand new

OR.

POF-308, $1500, 2009 model NP3 lower-used 400 rounds down the pipe..

Need your expertise, which one should I buy & why. Advantages vs. Disadvantages..

Does the POF offer the same versatility as the LMT...

Could I change the barrel & bolt in the POF- to shoot a 556 or 223..

Thanks for all your help I cannot wait to pick one up this week.

Best Regards,

ryan
02-20-12, 22:34
I have no personal experience with either company's rifles.

The LMT would be my choice for several reasons, cheaper to shoot, more parts commonality/availability, durability, etc.

In what capacity will this rifle be used? The POF "may" have the edge in long range accuracy and it may not. There also maybe a reason you are unaware of as to why it is sitting for sale used.

A search and some study here will answer most if not all of your questions. POF is not highly regarded here and I agree as I had my fill of proprietary piston guns.

ICANHITHIMMAN
02-20-12, 22:39
LMT hands down dont even consider the other one. I have an MRP its my favorite. I tried to order a POF back in 2005 before I knew better, Im actually glad they were dicks on the phone cause it saved me from buying their rifle.

DeltaSierra
02-20-12, 22:41
LMT, hands down.

LMT has (in my experience) excellent customer service, and delivers excellent products.

One of the many benefits with the LMT (beside the fact that you will actually be buying a quality product) is that you can always convert the rifle back to DI with minimal cost when you realize that you made a mistake getting the op-rod actuated system...

If you have a 5.56 barrel, you don't need to change anything in order to shoot .223 through the 5.56 barrel.

ALCOAR
02-20-12, 22:56
You already got three great replies from very well respected members on this forum, so I'll just add that I completely concur with what they said.

Your also kinda making an apples to oranges comparision with a .308 vs. .223

usmcvet
02-20-12, 23:11
LMT Rocks. Great products, great pricing and great CS.

J_Dub_503
02-21-12, 02:25
Get the LMT, you will not be disappointed. They're on the top of everybody's list.

Tzook
02-21-12, 10:12
I'd go with the LMT. I haven't ever used a POF product, though I have heard good things about them. I think it's just too expensive for what it is, and shooting a 308 just wouldn't be practical for me. I don't know if you can or can't change barrels or bolts to shoot 5.56, but I doubt it. 308 ARs are much larger frames than the 5.56, and it does't seem like it would be compatible at all.

Todd00000
02-21-12, 10:30
I've seen a SF Soldier with a LMT piston upper that broke while in a fire fight, he was disgusted and put his M4 upper back on when he got back to my COP. This was summer of ’09 and though I was aware of some politicians criticizing the M4 I didn’t know there were companies making piston uppers and convincing Soldiers that it was better. That incident is the reason I’m on this board and learning about my weapons, how they are made, and who makes them. I’ve had a few conversations with Colt’s VP for QC over an issue I had with my Colt to insure that the same problem didn’t make it to issued M4s. Milspec and military testing mean something.
I think it’s quite simple and I have been amused at how many people get upset on this forum about it, if all you want is a range gun get a $599 kit, if you need to trust your life with it there are only a few to choose from and you should stay with what's proven.

JW1069
02-21-12, 11:08
I've shot the LMT and not the POF so take this for what it's worth. LMT makes a nice, reliable rifle (obviously Todd just mentioned one instance where there was a failure and further details would be interesting), but I didn't fall in love with the piston system (it adds weight) or the quick barrel change feature (more useful for changing lengths than calibers). Your needs may be completely different though. If it were my money, I'd spend $1000 or so on a DI BCM, Colt, DD or save up more for a SCAR 17 if you prefer shooting 7.62 instead.

Todd00000
02-21-12, 14:53
At the time I didn’t care about the details, still don’t, I only cared about a Soldier who risked his and his buddy’s lives with an unproven piece of kit. If all you want is range/hunting/3-gun rifle get whatever you want, but if your life may depend on it then my experience with Colt and LMT is worth more than “I shot a LMT once.”

ALCOAR
02-21-12, 14:57
I seen you post this same line about seeing a SF soldier break a LMT piston in numerous threads now.....do you know how many SF soldiers are running the LMT piston setup in their MRP CQB chassis???

Do you know how many SF soldiers have had their colt or hk break???

Your using one single case to define a system that it appears you have very little knowledge about, or it's track record.

I can absolutely assure you that the LMT MRP platform is well beyond "proven" and "tested".

Todd00000
02-21-12, 15:08
I can absolutely assure you that the LMT MRP platform is well beyond "proven" and "tested".

You demand me to answer quantitative questions then make an unsupported statement.

C-grunt
02-21-12, 16:56
Get the LMT but as a DI gun. Or save some money and buy a Colt, Daniel Defense, or BCM.

S.E.R.T.
02-21-12, 17:02
LMT hands down, have put thousands through my 10" and love it. we have a deputy with a POF and he swears by it but it seemed rather heavy for my tastes. as somebody else has mentioned the ability to get spare parts or replacement parts easily should be considered too.

BIGUGLY
02-21-12, 17:28
LMT has establishe itself with its great quality and customer service, they have been around much longer and are going nowhere but to retool and make more quality weapons.

I would never hesitate on teh LMT the POF, while thats great they make a piston but I don't believe I could ever go with a POF when LMT is in the equation.

If you search around you will see a lot of LMT fans on this site, and this site doesn't cater to the bubba gun idiot.

usmcvet
02-21-12, 20:15
At the time I didn’t care about the details, still don’t, I only cared about a Soldier who risked his and his buddy’s lives with an unproven piece of kit. If all you want is range/hunting/3-gun rifle get whatever you want, but if your life may depend on it then my experience with Colt and LMT is worth more than “I shot a LMT once.”

Carrying an "unproven piece of kit" into combat sounds like a very poor decision. Any information coming from this source would not hold much weight with me. If we don't know what the malfunction was how can we use the information?

The DI M16 has been working well for more than 40 years.

Littlelebowski
02-21-12, 20:34
You demand me to answer quantitative questions then make an unsupported statement.

I too, would like to know how many SF soldiers are running LMT pistons, Trident.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

lebowski
02-21-12, 21:01
Colt 6720.

Between the two, LMT. 5.56 makes more sense for a first AR IMO.

ALCOAR
02-21-12, 21:10
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg37/scaled.php?server=37&filename=970454081.jpg&res=medium

Littlelebowski
02-22-12, 11:12
You know that's not an answer, right?

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg37/scaled.php?server=37&filename=970454081.jpg&res=medium

fallenromeo
02-22-12, 12:10
As many have already said, LMT.