PDA

View Full Version : Glock gen 1 durability

grantoga
02-20-12, 22:20
Hello. I have recently acquired a Glock 17 gen 1 in a trade. It has quite a lot of holster wear, but was still functioning with its original non captured guide rod, so I believe that it was never shot much. It now has all the upgrades to the trigger parts and guide rod, and I have added steel Defoor sights from Ameriglo. I have put a little under 300 flawless rounds through this pistol, and I absolutely love it. I have never been so comfortable, or shot a pistol as well as this one. I sure would like to carry it and use it in classes, but I havnt heard much about the long term durability of the gen 1s. Can anyone shed some light on the gen 1 for me, or perhaps point me to an old torture test article performed on a gen 1? Thanks.

Heidevolk
02-20-12, 23:09
A true gen 1 is a collectors piece!

citizensoldier16
02-20-12, 23:18
Check the frame for any hairline cracks. Also, I'd be sure to use the newer full metal-lined magazines. My father's truck pistol is a Gen1 G17 with literally hundreds of thousands of rounds through it and it's fine. Take care of it, and it'll take care of you. Congrats on your good find!

spr1
02-21-12, 04:21
IIRC Glock used to have an ad in the '80's or early '90's of a gen1 with 352K rounds through it with only minor part changes.

hank2165
02-21-12, 06:26
I have a Gen 1 17 with 1000 down the tube. I recently put DeFoor tactical sights on it and used for 1 day in a course. Worked like a charm. No issues at all. It was my first handgun. Couldn't see parting with it. Everyone

Shadow1198
02-21-12, 08:28
I have an actual Gen 1 19 (yes it's real). I'll get pics up soon.

Although the Gen 1's and 2's have thinner polymer than the later 3's and 4's, with regular RSA replacements, I've never had an issue with any Gen 2's. I would expect similar results from the Gen 1's.

HaydenB
02-21-12, 15:52
I have an actual Gen 1 19 (yes it's real). I'll get pics up soon.

WOW! I've always dreamed of walking into a gunshop and seeing a gen 1 19 for sale.

Looking forward to picks of your unicorn. :D

grantoga
02-26-12, 17:50
If I have a major failure of my first gen glock that requires a new slide or frame, what would Glock warranty dept. do? Do they still have gen 1 parts in stock or would I get a new pistol?

espnazi
02-26-12, 18:07
If I have a major failure of my first gen glock that requires a new slide or frame, what would Glock warranty dept. do? Do they still have gen 1 parts in stock or would I get a new pistol?

I believe they replace them with Gen 3 parts.

outrider627
02-26-12, 18:08

IIRC I once read a post where someone sent their gen 1 or 2 glock to Smyrna for warranty repair on the frame, and they just replaced it with a gen 3 frame.

Firecop203
02-26-12, 18:18
Hello. I have recently acquired a Glock 17 gen 1 in a trade. It has quite a lot of holster wear, but was still functioning with its original non captured guide rod, so I believe that it was never shot much. It now has all the upgrades to the trigger parts and guide rod, and I have added steel Defoor sights from Ameriglo. I have put a little under 300 flawless rounds through this pistol, and I absolutely love it. I have never been so comfortable, or shot a pistol as well as this one. I sure would like to carry it and use it in classes, but I havnt heard much about the long term durability of the gen 1s. Can anyone shed some light on the gen 1 for me, or perhaps point me to an old torture test article performed on a gen 1? Thanks.

There used to be a gun writer/shooter that did a test on Glocks back in the late 80's and early 90's. His name was Chuck Taylor. I haven't seen any articles with his name in a long time.

mrosamilia
02-26-12, 20:04
I was just wondering this the other day. The article was published in the Glock Annual. I'm not sure what year it was, around early 90's for sure it was near my Graduation time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

RagweedZulu
02-26-12, 20:53
Chuck Taylor has an ongoing Glock 17 test that has been running since the late 80's. Last installment I read, his pistol had digested close to 300,000 rounds. If he's still at it, I imagine he's hit 300K by now. I'm sure Google can turn up more than my wealth of information.

brushy bill
02-26-12, 21:08
Chuck Taylor has an ongoing Glock 17 test that has been running since the late 90's. Last installment I read, his pistol had digested over 860,000 rounds. If he's still at it, I imagine he's hit the 1 million mark by now. I'm sure Google can turn up more than my wealth of information.

Here's a link where 300K is mentioned.

http://www.tactical-life.com/online/combat-handguns/glock-17-9mm-torture-test/

B52U
02-26-12, 21:09
Chuck Taylor has an ongoing Glock 17 test that has been running since the late 90's. Last installment I read, his pistol had digested over 860,000 rounds. If he's still at it, I imagine he's hit the 1 million mark by now. I'm sure Google can turn up more than my wealth of information.

Wow, I wonder how many barrels and RSA's he's been through.

RagweedZulu
02-26-12, 23:02
If I recall correctly, he's changed out the RSA at least once, but I think it's the original barrel. There was a post a while back about a broken pin but it was discovered after shooting an ungodly amount of rounds. Yes, broken Glock kept working. There's gotta be a link out there more recent.

PS, just found this...

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=429032

ComradeBoris
02-26-12, 23:41
I had parts of the frame rails by the locking block chipping away on my gen 1 17 so I will let you know what happens as far as part replacment from the factory; I sent it in this last Friday.

ST911
02-27-12, 13:02

One Glock shooter ruined his G17 pebble grip with a home stippling job. Glock replaced it with a "gen 3" frame.

I had parts of the frame rails by the locking block chipping away on my gen 1 17 so I will let you know what happens as far as part replacment from the factory; I sent it in this last Friday.

See above.

Did you take a photo of the chipping? Better description? How far from the locking block? Was it peening of the forward frame rails? Some of those are self-limiting and manageable if you wanted to retain your pebble grip.