PDA

View Full Version : .380 pistols general reliability issues?

jimmyp
02-21-12, 07:59
I have lost touch with this segment of the firearms industry and now find myself needing to purchase a small framed, low recoil, easy to fire, very reliable lower caliber auto pistol. The obvious answer is a 5 shot 38 special however the stronger double action trigger pull makes it a noise maker only in the hands of the intended user. A G-19 grip is almost two big as well but would be my first choice if otherwise, I don't suppose I will ever see a Glock in .380 caliber, the G26 is short but fat around. I have no faith in Keltec, don't know about the Ruger but suspect the same and would prefer something a tad larger but with a small grip. The sig 230's used to be a good gun but that dates my understanding of this type of pistol. I don't know anything about the sig 232? Any suggestions on where to start would be appreciated.

GingerPatches
02-21-12, 08:10
I've been shooting and carrying an LCP for the past few months, and really like it. It is surprisingly shootable despite its diminutive size. It gets pocket carried in a DeSantis Nemesis holster.

There have been a good number of .380 ACP cartridges introduced in the last few years.

I like Hornady's offerings: http://www.hornady.com/store/380-Auto-90-gr-Critical-Defense/

If you aren't a fan of l-o-n-g double action, you won't like the LCP.

I'd also consider the slew of single-stack 9mm guns that have come out in the last decade. The Walther PPS comes to mind as a durable, light, slim handgun that shoots an affordable and powerful cartridge. However, it still isn't easy to pocket carry, what I do 99% of the time.

Grizzly16
02-21-12, 08:23
Have you tried the ruger lcr or an S&W 642 with apex trigger mod? Both make the trigger more usable than a standard 642. That said what about a walther pps? Single stack reliable 9mm.

Take a look at the 38spl vs .380 vs 9mm thread in the ballistics section. The .380 just doesn't cut it fore penetration.

Beat Trash
02-21-12, 08:44
Have you tried the ruger lcr or an S&W 642 with apex trigger mod? Both make the trigger more usable than a standard 642. That said what about a walther pps? Single stack reliable 9mm.

Take a look at the 38spl vs .380 vs 9mm thread in the ballistics section. The .380 just doesn't cut it fore penetration.

I have a Walther PPS that is a great gun to shoot and carry. If you're not familiar with it, think of a flat, single stack Glock 26, and you'd be close. Reliable and more accurate than you'd expect for a gun it's size.

On those rare times I need smaller and lighter, I've owned a Kahr PM9 imm that is reliable and easy to shoot. My only real complaint with my PM9 is that it's too small for my hands.

The Smith 642's with the Apex kits are also something to consider. But the 9mm's are easier to shoot, in my opinion.

tdoom15
02-21-12, 09:13
My dad has a little body guard .380 and a sig 232. I dont particularly care for either, but the 232 is easily the better shooter and has a better trigger as I also dont care for long, heavy, DA triggers.

I also have a PPS 9mm which is what I carry. It is similiar in size to the 232, but shoots 9mm. I would definitely recommend looking more in to it, there is no shortage of info on it.

RagweedZulu
02-21-12, 09:38

I recently put the Apex trigger kit in my 642 and it really improves the heavy trigger. I don't use the gun that much, it's just carried on my vest as a BUG while in duty.

A few friends at work recently jumped on the Ruger LCP wagon and almost every one of them has had reliability issues. Maybe they're just not broken in yet, but who knows.

I bought a Ruger LC9 for my mom last summer as her CCW. It WAS reliable out of the box and only slightly taller and longer in the slide. Well worth the extra size to be carrying a reliable pistol in a decent caliber. I, for one, won't be spending my money on a .380 anytime soon. My G27 gets the job done under the lightest clothing in the hottest weather.

WillBrink
02-21-12, 09:41
I have lost touch with this segment of the firearms industry and now find myself needing to purchase a small framed, low recoil, easy to fire, very reliable lower caliber auto pistol.

Then you don't want a .380. Friends don't let friends carry .380. :D

See Doc Roberts write up on terminal ballistics for .380.

sierra 223
02-21-12, 09:45
I carried a 232 as a backup for several years and it was a reliable weapon. Differences between it and a a 230 are very minor. I consider it the same gun with different grips.

I would not want to carry a .380 as my primary weapon, I trusted the pistol to be reliable and accurate, dont trust it to be an effective caliber.

F-Trooper05
02-21-12, 13:23
Walther PPS.

sjc3081
02-21-12, 16:20
It is not that compact but a great shooter and I bet there is not one Key Board Commando that will volunteer to be shot with it.
http://www.berettausa.com/products/84fs-cheetah/

mikeith
02-21-12, 17:46
What about the new sig 938? (9mm version of the 238)

Nra-Life-Member
02-21-12, 21:49
The Sig P230 eats everything used. No issues. It's 100% reliable!

Magic_Salad0892
02-22-12, 07:58
The Walther PPS, and Kahr offerings are the only logical choice.

RagweedZulu
02-22-12, 08:32
It is not that compact but a great shooter and I bet there is not one Key Board Commando that will volunteer to be shot with it.
http://www.berettausa.com/products/84fs-cheetah/

I always love this statement. Of course nobody will volunteer to get shot with one. I'm not volunteering to be punched in the balls either, but relying on a .380 as a fight stopping round would be just as effective as that punch.

With so many tiny 9mm pistols out there these days, why go with a weaker cartridge? And I for one, have never had a problem concealing a G27. Under dress clothes at a wedding, under light shorts and a T shirt while running errands, and under my skin tight glittery ice skating costume while.... Wait, check that. Can't conceal one there. Thats about the only place. :sarcastic:

jimmyp
02-23-12, 05:58
Thanks for all the info, I want to look at the walther pps in 9mm. Agree that the .380 is a lot less, and do need a slim small pistol.

sjc3081
02-23-12, 06:19
The issue with compact 9mm is they recoil and ease of accurate fire is diminished due to their compact size. That is why the 380ACP is viable. 380 is lacking as compared to 9mm. but some would say the 9mm is lacking compared to 40SW,45acp,357 mag and 10mmAuto. It is a balance between ease of carry/use and effectiveness.

Beat Trash
02-23-12, 08:17
I've shot my Kahr PM9 along side a blow back designed 380 such as the Walther PPK. I personally found the felt recoil of the PM9 less than the PPK.

When my agency hosted ballistics workshops in November, I included my PM9 to see the effect on the 147 gr loads tested by going to a 3" barrel. Not much difference.

The difference between the 9mm, 40, and 45, using the same design of bullet is slight.

The difference between the 9mm and 380 using the same design bullet is enough to be of concern.

Someone once said that a CCW gun should be comforting, not comfortable.

skyugo
02-23-12, 14:55
why be a casual user with a j-frame? learn that thing.

38 hits quite a bit harder than 380. little revolvers are very reliable.

Rmplstlskn
02-23-12, 15:35
I really like my Bersa Thunder380...
http://www.bersa.com/skin/frontend/blank/theme063/images/guns/Thunder-380-nkl-L-fram.jpg

It has weight, so recoil is minimal in a small size, it is very accurate (barrel and frame one piece, slide moves), and conceals well.

Rmpl

sjc3081
02-23-12, 15:58
Isnt the Bersa the DMPS of M4 Carbines.

skyugo
02-23-12, 21:33
I really like my Bersa Thunder380...
http://www.bersa.com/skin/frontend/blank/theme063/images/guns/Thunder-380-nkl-L-fram.jpg

It has weight, so recoil is minimal in a small size, it is very accurate (barrel and frame one piece, slide moves), and conceals well.

Rmpl

those things aren't really any smaller than the much more capable G26.

about the only way i'd consider a 380 is if it was tiny. and really the j-frame carries as good as most 380's and packs quite a bit more punch.