PDA

View Full Version : fixed carry handle or quad rail Aimpoint research

apache64
02-21-12, 09:59
A co-worker is stuck with a fixed carry handle and wants an Aimpoint Pro. Other than mounting the Aimpoint on a carry handle mount, do any good companies make a mount that can go on a quad rail in front of the fixed carry handle and allow decent use of the factory irons? Any of you have experience with this type setup?

Goose neck is a no go. He doesn't have much $ to experiment with. He may get a flat-top years down the road.

Search function gave bunch of carry handle and goose neck info.

Thanks

JSantoro
02-21-12, 11:24
Direct answer, there's photos floating about of dudes with carry-handle upper receiver'd carbines and railed forearms, with Aimpoints mounted to the rear of the forearm in what appear to be standard Aimpont mounts. Can't tell if they're absolute or lower-third by looking. Hell, the front page of the Magpul site comes immediatley to mind (the photo in the slideshow of the bearded dude with the "I only trust two people: myself and my mother, and I'm not too sure about her..." blurb).

Which rail are we talking about? "Quad-rail" is a bit broad; the rails themselves will all be similar, but where they are in terms of relative height and width can differ, from brand to brand.

Are the gooseneck and other options more expensive than simply getting a stripped, flat-top receiver, mounting the barrel etc to it, and putting the PRO on the receiver with which it's designed to work?

I'm basing that question on the basis that your reference to "flat-top" means buying an entire upper receiver group, and not just the upper receiver itself.

apache64
02-23-12, 07:46
Thanks. After a third discussion, he is going to trade-in and replace w/ a flat top.

polymorpheous
02-23-12, 07:49
Upper receivers can easily be had for under $100.
Someone in your area will likely have the tools needed to do the swap.
Arfcom hometown forum is good for this.

ST911
02-23-12, 11:44
Buy a stripped railed component upper, and take it to an experienced armorer for a swap. You may or may not need a taller FSP.

Spiffums
02-23-12, 19:37
Just for the info.

I used a cheapo red dot on a cheapo gooseneck rail and it put the dot right on the front sight when looking through the sights like normal.

I only did this when we had kids shooting and they liked the dot on my lightweight super kiss carbine.

So I would say it depends on the rail height and mount height.

apache64
02-24-12, 07:45
Several of us suggested the receiver replacement before I posted. Indecision. Oh well, he will be happy and a little better equipped. Now we need to dial him in when he gets his gear.

Thanks everyone.