PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Aimpoint PRO QRP2 Mount

ralph
02-21-12, 11:46
I've got a Aimpoint pro, and while I'm happy with the sight.. So far, I had it out twice, and each time the mount has loosened enough for it to be moved forward and backward, I retightened using the knob, and went about 8-10 clicks, (did this the last time as well) Anyway, I'm starting to lose confindence in this mounts ability to stay put..On my other AR I've got a comp M3 on a ADM mount, and it's never moved.. Is there anyway to get this thing to stay put,or am I just going to figure on buying another mount??

ETA: I did a search and not alot has been mentioned that I've found concerning the QRP2 mount..

cqbdriver
02-21-12, 12:21
I had the same issue with my Aimpoint M4. I would retighten after each range session. The M4 was never loose in the rail, but I could tighten the knob. I lost confidence & changed to a LaRue mount. However, besides your post, I don’t recall any one else talking about it.

VaeVictis
02-21-12, 12:45
Have you taken it off and checked for damage on the rail? The manual says you only need to tighten it three clicks so 8-10 is way overkill.

ralph
02-21-12, 12:57
I had the same issue with my Aimpoint M4. I would retighten after each range session. The M4 was never loose in the rail, but I could tighten the knob. I lost confidence & changed to a LaRue mount. However, besides your post, I don’t recall any one else talking about it.

Thanks..

ralph
02-21-12, 13:01
Have you taken it off and checked for damage on the rail? The manual says you only need to tighten it three clicks so 8-10 is way overkill.

I'm well aware of what the manual says..I'm also well aware of what MY actual experiences have been..That said, the knob acts as a torque wrench of sorts...once the knob reaches the torque valve it starts clicking, basically you can't overtighten it..And that also seems to be part of the problem, you may not be able to tighten it enough..

DeAdeYE15
08-12-12, 22:24
Try pushing in on the knob as hard as you can and turning at the same time. You can get plenty of torque this way. I use this technique and have never had a problem. Sorry if this info comes to late.

opdsgt
08-12-12, 22:34
Like 'driver, I'm a LaRue mount snob. They are worth the investment.

DeAdeYE15
08-13-12, 07:42
I was looking into getting the larue cantilever mount for my PRO. I imagine this should work fine as the PRO is 30mm, although I haven't seen many mounted this way. I just purchased a Vortex VMX3 magnifier and I'm searching for a good mount for it as well that will line up good with the PRO. I really don't want to shell out for the Larue flip mount but I don't want to buy junk. Does anyone know if this mount lines up with the PROs lower 1/3 co-witness? Or a decent cheaper mount other than the ADM swing mount?

t00sl0w
08-13-12, 14:24
Zero issues with the stock pro mount cominf loose on my end..my rifle even took a tumble on my wood floor and everything was gravy, including zero.

sent from my overcompensation tool known as the galaxy note

Hmac
08-13-12, 14:52
I'm well aware of what the manual says..I'm also well aware of what MY actual experiences have been..That said, the knob acts as a torque wrench of sorts...once the knob reaches the torque valve it starts clicking, basically you can't overtighten it..And that also seems to be part of the problem, you may not be able to tighten it enough..

Yeh...that's the way it works. Perhaps your torquing spring is too weak. My QRP on my Aimpoint PRO works fine. No loosening whatsoever, so I'm guessing your mount is defective.

cop1211
08-13-12, 17:16
Bobro,Larue,ADM your choice.

markm
05-24-13, 08:43
My QRP2 seems to hold fine... but it looks as though it positions the Aimpoint slightly off to the right.

I was playing with it the other night and noticed that when I was looking through the Irons, which are exact cowitness and match up to the dot good,... the tube isn't true to the rear app.

PAWs 21
05-24-13, 08:49
I had this same problem with my PRO. I tightened 3 as the manual said but I was still having to do 8-10 clicks after each group at 50. After a few groups I said screw it and tightened the mount down about 4 more clicks and its been dead on ever since YMMV...

wahoo95
05-24-13, 08:58
I would replace it with an ADM or Larue....better mounts and less bulky.

vandal5
05-28-13, 15:08
Ralph, any luck?
I am having the same issue too. I made sure I pushed the mount forward while tightening it as I thought perhaps it shook loose. Even then after a trip I noticed I was able to tighten it up again. I guess I will look into getting a new mount when I can, until then I will probably put some type of witness mark on to help see if it has come loose.

DiabhailGadhar
05-29-13, 23:29
http://www.laruetactical.com/larue-tactical-cantilever-compm2-lt-129

They don't come available that often but I waited for awhile and picked mine up for $90 shipped on the exchange here...I might have just been lucky that day.

Camlocker
09-09-13, 21:31
I realize this is an older thread, but wanted to share my thoughts. I purchased a PRO last week and installed it on my RR. Moved it around on the rail a few times to my liking then finally tried to torque it with the three clicks....it wouldn't tighten. Pressed on the knob and tried to tighten, started spinning freely...stripped. Had a heck of a time trying to remove it and had to pull the knob and loosen in order to get it off the rail. Took it back to the dealer and had him take a look....he said this one must've been a defect and gave me another new one to try. Before I left, I let the guys "show" me exactly what to do just in case I was over doing it.....nope, still three clicks and GTG. I did notice that this knob is perfectly horizontal once it is torqued, whereas the first one was canted when I torqued it. Maybe it was cross threaded from the factory, who knows, but this one is very solid. Sighted it in Saturday with no movement at all. Very satisfied.