PDA

View Full Version : AK Recoil Spring Assembly Question

mannythegreek
02-21-12, 13:20
Hey all,

I recently installed a Wolf +15% spring on my AK (SGL-21). I am very happy with it. It definitely dampens felt recoil with Yugo ammo.

I was wondering about recoil spring assemblies. The stock two folding wires seem a little anemic, especially with the stronger spring. Here is a picture of the stock recoil spring assembly on my rifle.

http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=17645

Can anyone recommend an improvement? I have been thinking about an east german or bulgarian recoil spring assembly. Will these work in an SGL-21? Let me know your experiences. Here are a few photos. The model that I am considering is the AK-339 GR

http://www.k-var.com/shop/home.php?cat=310

Thanks

MannytheGreek

CumbiaDude
02-21-12, 16:19
What was wrong with the recoil spring it came with? Was it worn out? :confused:

I don't know of any improvements except for tiny things like "this one has an added button so the top cover doesn't pop off when you shoot off a rifle grenade". I've never heard of a guide rod failing...

As for the other guide rods, they should fit. There may be slight issues between thickness of a certain part combined with the trunnion and top cover on your particular rifle. I don't have any specific experience with those, though.

Drummer
02-21-12, 19:15
Your links don't work. I'd leave the recoil spring alone. There's no reason to change it, imo.

An original AK47 telescoping recoil guide does make the rifle noticeably smoother than the AKM wire ones but smoother doesn't make it any more reliable.

mannythegreek
02-22-12, 10:00
Hi all,

I corrected the link in my original post. I shoot primarily hotter, Yugo Ammo, and felt that the extra power recoil spring really decreased felt recoil and helped me get rounds on target much faster.

After putting over 100 rounds through it, there was no difference in function. Having shot a friend's SA M7 over the weekend, I noticed how smooth it operated. I suspected that the tube style recoil assembly guide had something to do with it.

Thanks!

MannytheGreek

Drummer
02-22-12, 19:59
The SA M7 has a milled receiver. Milled receivers tend to cycle smoother than the stamped ones due to smoother/straighter rails. Did the SA M7 have a telescoping recoil guide? The Arsenals I've examined usually have Polish-made wire guides but I don't remember what they put in the SA M7s.

CumbiaDude
02-23-12, 00:17
The Arsenals I've examined usually have Polish-made wire guides(....)Bulgarian rifle with Polish rails? :confused:

Or did you just misspeak? ;)

Dano5326
02-23-12, 04:15
I'm not up on commercial offerings in the US, but have shot hundreds of AK variants. In my estimation the milled rifles are heavier, have less flex, and the rails are thicker (enabling less carrier wobble) so the recoil impulse is noticeably smoother.

I believe many AK's are sprung weak to allow for use of a wide range of ammo.

AK's have marked peaks in their recoil. One is when the bolt carrier reaches the end of its travel. A stronger spring may change the feel.

I have previously changed a bolt* & recoil spring on hard to find shorty variant that was having ejection issues. The new bolt fixed the problem, and the recoil was noticeably smoother. Unknown if it was changes in cam path, locking lug surfaces or recoil spring... or some combo of above.

*headspace should be checked

96 SS
02-23-12, 05:58
I know Jay did some experimenting with an extra power spring in his 105 when he put his can on. Try contacting him for more info.

Drummer
02-23-12, 19:41
Bulgarian rifle with Polish rails? :confused:

Or did you just misspeak? ;)

No, AresenalUSA/KVAR seems to use whatever small parts are readily available when they're putting them together. I've seen Polish wire guides in the SGL rifles.

CumbiaDude
02-23-12, 21:56
Now I see the SA M7s are US made. It's a little confusing, with Arsenal [of Vegas] (http://www.arsenalinc.com/usa/home.php?cat=) and Arsenal [of Bulgaria] (http://www.arsenal-bg.com/main.htm) both making AKs :D I know Arsenal [of Bulgaria] is still making milled AKs, so I just assumed the SA M7 was Bulgarian. I thought it'd be weird of them to make an AK but use a surplus Polish guide rod.... :)