PDA

View Full Version : 'Tactical' Pants for tall women?

Dave_M
02-21-12, 22:20
Okay, so this is really for my girlfriend but..

We're having a hard time finding pants (hiking/'tactical'/whatever) that fit her properly. She's rather tall (~5'11") and has a 35-36" inseam with a 30" waist but with hips (she will give me good Spartan Warrior children some day!). So, the women's pants that fit her waist/butt are too short and anything that is long enough for her legs are apparently made for a hippopotamus with a waist far far too large.

My solution is for her to buy men's pants and get them tailored but seeing as she's a woman with hips, she apparently thinks my idea isn't with merit.

Any suggestions? Honestly I'm at loss here.

Thanks in advance.

polymorpheous
02-21-12, 23:08
Triple aught designs has a women's model coming out soon.
One of their employees was wearing them around at Shot.

ALAG5497
02-22-12, 01:03
Okay, so this is really for my girlfriend but..

We're having a hard time finding pants (hiking/'tactical'/whatever) that fit her properly. She's rather tall (~5'11") and has a 35-36" inseam with a 30" waist but with hips (she will give me good Spartan Warrior children some day!). So, the women's pants that fit her waist/butt are too short and anything that is long enough for her legs are apparently made for a hippopotamus with a waist far far too large.

My solution is for her to buy men's pants and get them tailored but seeing as she's a woman with hips, she apparently thinks my idea isn't with merit.

Any suggestions? Honestly I'm at loss here.

Thanks in advance.

Try a pair of Vertx women's pants. Inseam goes up to 36".

I tried a pair and I found that the waist and hips were very flattering and cut for an athletic woman's build. The pockets sit flat, along the seams, so less bulk. The material was really comfortable (lycra blend) and articulated knees helped with the range of motion. Pretty pricey, but by the time you tailor a pair of men's pants to her satisfaction, you might as well have bought a pair of Vertx. It's well worth it for pants that fit the way they should out of the box.

bp7178
02-22-12, 08:52

A lot of women I work with end up doing this...the ones that don't look like the penguin from Batman. Uniform/tactical pants for women are designed for the short fat variety.

5'-11" on a woman is hot, you should be proud!

QuietShootr
02-22-12, 09:06
Pics would help, I'm just saying.

Irish
02-22-12, 09:44
Pics would help, I'm just saying.
:D

Have you gone to your local REI store and asked them for help? Lucky brand jeans have really long lengths for girls, and guys, and they may carry something that would work. A girl friend of mine is 6' 2" and she shops there due to inseam length.

RCSMichael
02-22-12, 10:27
I would suggest checking out the Tru-Spec 24/7 series. I've always liked the pocket design and fit of the pants.

They make a women's cut of the pants which is available with an unhemmed 35" inseam. I realize this may be too short for your wife, but I have found that in the mens' sizes, the inseam tends to run a bit longer than the stated size (i.e. I have a 36" inseam, but can sometimes get away with their 34" inseam).

http://www.atlanco.com/product/24-7-series-ladies-pants,11,86.htm

Failing that, you could do what others have suggested and simply have alterations done to the men's 24/7 pant, which is available with an unhemmed 37" inseam.

http://www.atlanco.com/product/24-7-series-mens-pants,15,86.htm

Both men's and women's pants are available in ripstop and cotton canvas. I hope this helps.

Steve
02-23-12, 08:02
vertex for the win.

Dave_M
02-23-12, 22:18
Alright, we found a local Vertex dealer today. Not an outdoors place but an LEO supplier. 33x36" pants fit her legs and her butt but not her waist (has to be taken in a bit) but I wasn't so lucky to find something that fit proper. Oh well, the search continues (at least on my end...)

GlockWRX
02-23-12, 22:50
Carhartt now has women's double front dungarees. If you can find a Cableas or Work Wear they might be worth a try.