PDA

View Full Version : website gun stores in homes safe?

jdmac
02-21-12, 23:04
First let me say thanks for all the info I've gained from reading on this site over the last few months!

Second, I apologize if this question is in the wrong spot. I wasn't able to find a "small questions" thread like I'm used to on forums for cars, etc.

OK, my question:
I've grown up shooting, but am new to the world of buying guns online. Obviously I want to purchase my firearms for the cheapest price possible, but I also want to buy from credible dealers so as to not get ripped off. In my search for certain guns, I've found myself considering purchases from some very badly named websites. Names that do not imply serious professionalism. That worries me a bit.

Also, when I've done some digging on those companies, I've discovered that many of those websites are run out of residential homes, and there really isn't a retail store at all. I understand that cuts down on overhead, etc, and helps contribute to their ability to sell the gun cheaper than I'm finding anywhere else...but is this safe? Do you ever get ripped off buying from a no-name website? Many of these websites don't even have a phone number you can call to talk to a person, you have to submit your questions to them via the website.

Thanks for any experience, and help!
Jon

Raven Armament
02-21-12, 23:25
Well, if something doesn't look right, it probably isn't.

Nothing wrong with a home based business. I know some great businesses run from someone's house and I know some horrible businesses run on commercial property.

For a lot of home based FFLs, it's a part time business until they get enough customers to afford to run it full time. They keep a day job and work the business during their off hours.

J_Dub_503
02-29-12, 18:10
Gunbroker is a good place to buy new or used firearms. BudsGunShop has good prices...Check out Gallery of Guns (http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/default.aspx) as well.

Ghost__1
02-29-12, 18:42
Its been awhile since I've done some looking into it but i'm pretty site to be eligible for an ffl you need a store front. That's not saying one could claim the first room i'm their house I suppose but something to think about. I agree with the statement that if it doesn't feel right generally you're gonna get screwed.

J_Dub_503
02-29-12, 18:51
Its been awhile since I've done some looking into it but i'm pretty site to be eligible for an ffl you need a store front. That's not saying one could claim the first room i'm their house I suppose but something to think about. I agree with the statement that if it doesn't feel right generally you're gonna get screwed.

I'm pretty sure you don't need a store front for a ffl...it's just harder to acquire without one.

RIDE
02-29-12, 19:01
You are correct.. a store front is not required.

OP... Maybe list the site(s) you are considering and folks can help a whole lot easier.

jjb5730
02-29-12, 19:04
There is a member here that has his "gunstore" as his home based business and is the most reputable guy and has excellent prices. I would recommend him to anyone and everyone. Check him out, he also does Gunshows.....Southland Police Supply.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Ghost__1
02-29-12, 19:18
I'm pretty sure you don't need a store front for a ffl...it's just harder to acquire without one.

Thanks for clearing that up. We all know how clear the Atf is in their explanation of guidelines.

J_Dub_503
03-01-12, 01:18
There is a member here that has his "gunstore" as his home based business and is the most reputable guy and has excellent prices. I would recommend him to anyone and everyone. Check him out, he also does Gunshows.....Southland Police Supply.

Would this member be you? The site is very bare bones, hardly a thing to buy. The prices aren't bad but I cant imagine this person is making very many sells.

jjb5730
03-01-12, 05:27
It isn't me. Did you click on Firearms then search guns?

ryan
03-01-12, 07:45
No affiliation other than being a customer.

G&R Tactical

Raven Armament
03-01-12, 09:39
Thanks for clearing that up. We all know how clear the Atf is in their explanation of guidelines.
It's no different than any other business. The licensed premises has to be properly zoned for all activities of the business. It's up to the municipality to set zoning ordinances. Some cities are more strict, others are more free. Some say you can't operate any firearms business in a residential area, thus you will need to have a commercial retail zoned premises for the FFL business. It's quite a bit simpler than many people make it out to be.

Ghost__1
03-01-12, 15:35
It's no different than any other business. The licensed premises has to be properly zoned for all activities of the business. It's up to the municipality to set zoning ordinances. Some cities are more strict, others are more free. Some say you can't operate any firearms business in a residential area, thus you will need to have a commercial retail zoned premises for the FFL business. It's quite a bit simpler than many people make it out to be.

Right on. I think I'll go back to looking into it again. Would like to set up a local thing as there are no lgs around here that are knowledgeable about ars.